What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Myles Gaskin, MIN (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
Myles Gaskin carves out a role for himself in Dolphins' crowded backfield

It is one thing to say something as a motivator, using the possibility of playing time or an elevated role as a carrot to drive practice performance for an entire team.

It is another for a coaching staff to actually follow through on a pledge to find a role for practice standouts, players who push themselves to their limits every day.

Going back to the 2019 season, Miami Dolphins coach Brian Flores and his staff have routinely done that, carving out a playing role for rookies, newcomers and journeymen when they excel on the practice field each week.

Myles Gaskin pushed himself during training camp this summer, making the most of every snap he took with the backups, and his strong camp and continued development apparently opened the door for the 2019 seventh-round pick to be used as the Dolphins’ featured back in Miami’s 21-11 season-opening loss to the New England Patriots.

“Myles has practiced well. There’s a rotation there at the running back with [Jordan] Howard and Matt [Breida]. [Patrick] Laird got a few snaps as well,” Flores said on Sunday, explaining his tailback rotation. “[Gaskin] had a couple of good runs, some good plays in the passing game as well, so we left him in there.”

Howard, the former NFL starter Miami added as a free agent this offseason, started the game. But Gaskin was the first tailback off the bench, playing ahead of Matt Breida, a four-year veteran who Miami acquired in a draft day trade this offseason.

“Myles did a nice job. He broke some tackles,” quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick said. “Not only in the run game, but in the pass game he made some nice plays, so that was exciting to see.”

When Howard was shelved by a hamstring injury after nine snaps, it was Gaskin who got the bulk of the tailback work (39 of 62 snaps), and he turned his nine carries into 40 rushing yards, and four receptions into 26 receiving yards.

“I’ve just been working hard and listening to [tailback] coach [Eric Studesville] and coach Flo in what they wanted out of me in the offseason. I tried to go back to the basics and work hard,” said Gaskins, who acknowledged after the game he didn’t know he was going to be as involved as he was in the season opener.

“I’m just going into every game ready to go. It just kind of happened,” said Gaskin, who gained 133 yards and scored one touchdown on the 36 carries he had in the seven games he played as a rookie in 2019. “I was hoping to do my best.”

His best on the college level made Gaskin 14th when it came to rushing yards in NCAA history, and allowed him to become the second player in the FBS history to record 1,200 rushing yards in four seasons, joining former Wisconsin legend Ron Dayne.

Gaskin, a four-year starter at Washington, rushed for 5,323 yards and scored 62 touchdowns for the Huskies.

But his small frame (5-10, 194) and the amount of carries he had in college (945) meant he was still available when the Dolphins took him with the 234th pick in the draft.

Gaskin struggled as a rookie, failing to show the field vision and elusiveness that made him a success at Washington. However, he apparently figured it out in Year 2, routinely making eye-opening plays in practice, which put him in the mix to earn playing time.

“He invested in himself last year, and it’s paying off for him now,” Studesville said recently. “He’s playing more confident, he’s playing faster, and I think we’re seeing some of the skill set that he’s had in the past.”

Whether Gaskins will remain the Dolphins' lead back likely depends on this week’s showing in practice and Miami’s game plan for the Buffalo Bills, who the Dolphins host at 1 p.m. in Hard Rock Stadium this Sunday.

The Dolphins intend to have a role carved out for all their tailbacks, and the plan is to stick with whoever possesses the hot hand and is delivering production.

“I tell him like I tell all the other players, their role is going to be what they make it, so if you go out there and you continually make plays and handle your responsibility and you’re someone we can depend on, we’re going to find a role for you,” Flores said last month. “I think Myles has done a good job of doing everything he can off the field, on the field to make himself the best player he can be.”

Last edited:
Took a flyer here...fact is, neither Howard or Brieda are insurmountable depth chart obstacles and Flores does seem to be the type of HC where the top performer regardless of previous pedigree matters.

39 of 62 offensive snaps is what you look for on the WW this time of year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Took a flyer here...fact is, neither Howard or Brieda are insurmountable depth chart obstacles and Flores does seem to be the type of HC where the top performer regardless of previous pedigree matters.

Feeling the same way about Gaskin's competition up the depth chart versus a Malcolm Brown who has to compete with a highly drafted, promising rookie. On the other hand, the offensive snaps could easily change if they want to pound the ball with Howard against certain defenses. This week should be telling.

I did too. 14 team dynasty with zero on WW for RB. I was picking 9th and didn't even both making a claim. But he went unclaimed so just nabbed him as FA. Shocked at absolutely zero interest in him.

I did too. 14 team dynasty with zero on WW for RB. I was picking 9th and didn't even both making a claim. But he went unclaimed so just nabbed him as FA. Shocked at absolutely zero interest in him.
Flyer for me as well in a 14 teamer .. got him with 14th WW spot

baskin in Gaskin

cooking with Gaskin

Gascan

GASHkin

Gashin’ Myles Gaskin

Kickgas

Multi-tasking Gaskin

Myles blow a Gaskin

MYLES per GASKIN

MPG

MG

Premium

I’m in in multiple leagues.  I was probably pounding the drum the loudest in the waiver wire thread, but I remember somewhat dismissing Phillip Lindsay out of hand a few years ago and really regretting it. 

It’s only FAAB. 

It’s called a nickname, Josh. Formed by metanalysis, or the changing of the division of words based upon how they sound together. In this case, the Middle English word eke, meaning “also” or “in addition,” was joined with name to form ekename—literally, “also-name,” used for a secondary or unofficial name in the late Middle Ages.

I like MG, as he’s kinda short like the classic British sports car.

baskin in Gaskin

cooking with Gaskin

Gascan

GASHkin

Gashin’ Myles Gaskin

Kickgas

Multi-tasking Gaskin

Myles blow a Gaskin

MYLES per GASKIN

MPG

MG

Premium
Carole Gaskin

Also got him in my dynasty league, was surprised only one other bidder.

I'm in...watching him against the Pats I really liked what I saw...gotta take the dice roll with the RBs this early in the year...I think everyone has had some some hits and misses with guys like this but when you hit it can have a dramatic effect on your roster.

Gailey has a pretty interesting history with RBs. He gave Fred Jackson his run in BUF. Still tends to utilize a 2 RB  system but 1 RB getting ~2/3s of the work. I wonder if they brought in Breida for this role and Gaskin just won it.

His top comparable on Playerprofiler is Ronald Jones. Dude was dominant at Washington and per all reports was their best back in camp. I’m kind of shocked at the lack of bidding on him in dynasty. Miami’s offense wasn’t bad last year, and now they’ve added multiple OL and invested heavily in the defense. Gaskin just looked pretty good against one of the best defenses in football. 

I don’t get it. What am I missing?

His top comparable on Playerprofiler is Ronald Jones. Dude was dominant at Washington and per all reports was their best back in camp. I’m kind of shocked at the lack of bidding on him in dynasty. Miami’s offense wasn’t bad last year, and now they’ve added multiple OL and invested heavily in the defense. Gaskin just looked pretty good against one of the best defenses in football. 

I don’t get it. What am I missing?
He hasn't gotten the attention because his usage was modest (and thus the stats as well) relative to Brown or Robinson. If Gaskin put up the same numbers those other two guys did, he'd be the hot commodity.

He hasn't gotten the attention because his usage was modest (and thus the stats as well) relative to Brown or Robinson. If Gaskin put up the same numbers those other two guys did, he'd be the hot commodity.
I disagree that his usage was modest. 

One of 15 RBs to play over 60% of his team’s snaps.  

Ran a route on 65% of his team’s drop backs.

That 65% figure tied for fifth in the NFL with Ekeler, behind only CMC, David Johnson, Alvin Kamara, and Saquon Barkley. 

I disagree that his usage was modest. 

One of 15 RBs to play over 60% of his team’s snaps.  

Ran a route on 65% of his team’s drop backs.

That 65% figure tied for fifth in the NFL with Ekeler, behind only CMC, David Johnson, Alvin Kamara, and Saquon Barkley. 
Fair point - I should have said that his touches were rather modest, not his snap count. The touches are the ones that jump out to most observers without peeling back the onion.

Interesting that he went unclaimed in my waivers.  Ironically, I have Brieda as I thought he would win out here in the long run.  Feels like too much of a knee-jerk to swap them after 1 week?  Howard will continue to plod here and there (and he's taken), but is everyone writing off Brieda?

Dolphins fan here. I’m glad to see Gaskin getting a shot. It’s not like he has world beaters in front of him. Breida and Howard are decent, but no reason to think Gaskin can’t be a better pro. He was a bell cow at Washington with a nose for the end zone, averaged more than a TD per game over his four years. Wasn’t much of a pass catcher in college though, so it remains to be seen if he can develop that part of his game. Four catches Sunday is encouraging. Flores seems like a coach who doesn’t care where you were drafted, or how much money you make, or what the team gave up to get you. He’s going to play whoever he feels gives the team the best chance to win. Gaskin has been with the team the longest and he just might be that player. 

Noticed this response to that tweet:

I nearly grabbed him for free last week. Patrick Laird was on a podcast drafting his fantasy team and sounded sincerely surprised when the hosts dismissed Gaskin as a late round pick. I got some real “I know something you don’t know” vibes from it. Wish I would’ve trusted my gut.

If Laird sees it, that's good enough for me. :mellow:

baskin in Gaskin

cooking with Gaskin

Gascan

GASHkin

Gashin’ Myles Gaskin

Kickgas

Multi-tasking Gaskin

Myles blow a Gaskin

MYLES per GASKIN

MPG

MG

Premium
Gaskin the Tank, Money in the bank?

I cut him instead of Miles Boykin on cutdown day last week. Hopefully I can get that one back fro not too much faab!

zamboni said:

I nearly grabbed him for free last week. Patrick Laird was on a podcast drafting his fantasy team and sounded sincerely surprised when the hosts dismissed Gaskin as a late round pick. I got some real “I know something you don’t know” vibes from it. Wish I would’ve trusted my gut.

LOL 

It is semi interesting though that a teammate in the RB room thought he was relevant. Ultimately this means nothing though. 

Gaskin or Kelley in full PPR?

I have a feeling Myles is off the radar for my league mates but Kelley might get snagged. Waivers have already run, have until tomorrow night to pick up one of them for free.

Carson/Ingram/Hines/Murray/Edmonds/Darrell Williams on my roster, would drop a backup QB or TE to pick them up.

Michel and Fournette were dropped this morning but meh.

zamboni said:

Laird also caught a couple of passes early in the game. Gaskin looked good, but Breida wasn't bad in his 4 or 5 attempts.

What are we thinking as likely fantasy standings this season? RB3/Flex with RB2 upside/flashes on a week to week basis? 

Gaskin or Kelley in full PPR?

I have a feeling Myles is off the radar for my league mates but Kelley might get snagged. Waivers have already run, have until tomorrow night to pick up one of them for free.

Carson/Ingram/Hines/Murray/Edmonds/Darrell Williams on my roster, would drop a backup QB or TE to pick them up.

Michel and Fournette were dropped this morning but meh.
Kelley for me, particularly in dynasty.

What are we thinking as likely fantasy standings this season? RB3/Flex with RB2 upside/flashes on a week to week basis? 
I would think, right? Can't see him being more than bye week filler or Flex, they'll be in a lot of games where they'll be behind and abandoning the run game. 

I would think, right? Can't see him being more than bye week filler or Flex, they'll be in a lot of games where they'll be behind and abandoning the run game. 
But he was involved as a pass catching back. Laird was fantasy relevant in the same role last year 

In our big auction redraft league where we have a $200 FAAB budget for the year, and where we actually add *real* dollars to the kitty from winning bids, someone spent $35 on Snell, $30 on Kelly, and Gaskin went unclaimed. Until I got him this morning for free.

In our big auction redraft league where we have a $200 FAAB budget for the year, and where we actually add *real* dollars to the kitty from winning bids, someone spent $35 on Snell, $30 on Kelly, and Gaskin went unclaimed. Until I got him this morning for free.
Nice. Get him for free now before he becomes a priority waiver/FAAB claim. His week one snap count is very promising.

Got him for free this morning as well. Immediately got a trade offer for him (for a WR I could have had for free instead if I wanted).

Not loving my RB depth at the moment, so I'll monitor to see how this kid works out.

I spent 31 dollars ( out of 100 ) on him in my dynasty league waivers. The WW is likely to be bone dry for a lot of the season, in my eyes, I couldn’t pass up the opportunity of an RB who could easily end up being the weekly starter for a team. Let’s be honest,  even most decent handcuffs are already owned in these types of leagues 

Our waivers run worst to first weekly and I had 2nd most points this week so second to last waiver claim. I put in a claim for Scott Miller and got him. I was surprised to see Gaskin still available this morning so I got him as well. 

tombonneau said:
same here but 16 team

Users who are viewing this thread