What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Myles Gaskin, MIN (1 Viewer)

Dr. Octopus said:
Everyone is fooled by his strong fantasy finish but I watched a couple of full Miami games as a Gaskin owner and the guy basically got what was blocked for him and nothing more. He has average speed and no power at all. He can not be a full time back for a team with playoff aspirations - he will be replaced one way or the other which is why I'm glad I moved him in the two leagues I had him rostered.
Exactly. Just imagine what Aaron Jones could do as the lead back in that offense.

MYLES GASKIN RB, MIAMI DOLPHINS

ESPN's Cameron Wolfe reports it would be "a shock if the Dolphins don't come away with a new feature back this offseason." 

Wolfe said Alabama's Najee Harris and North Carolin's Javonte Williams would be "tantalizing" options for the Dolphins, who have the No. 3 and No. 18 picks in the spring's NFL Draft. Miami could also pursue a potential feature back in free agency. The Dolphins have been linked to free-agent-to-be Aaron Jones, and Wolfe mentioned Leonard Fournette and Le'Veon Bell as potential veterans who would pair with a rookie back. Gaskin, who acquitted himself nicely as a starter in 2020 -- averaging 87.6 total yards per game in five early-season starts -- is looking more like a depth option in 2021. 

RELATED: 

Salvon Ahmed

, Aaron Jones

, Leonard Fournette

, Le'Veon Bell

SOURCE: ESPN.com 

Mar 2, 2021, 9:27 AM ET

Aaron Jones is set to be a free agent and Miami has been linked right or wrong to Jones as well as the Center there in Green Bay, would be nice for Miami to get part of the starting middle of the offense, Center and Lead Back fresh off an NFCC appearance although we all know Rodgers was the big ingredient in all of that. 

Ministry of Pain said:
Aaron Jones is set to be a free agent and Miami has been linked right or wrong to Jones as well as the Center there in Green Bay, would be nice for Miami to get part of the starting middle of the offense, Center and Lead Back fresh off an NFCC appearance although we all know Rodgers was the big ingredient in all of that. 
Jones would be great, but man it seems hard to justify that contract given the reduced cap. 

Linsley I am 100% on board with though. There's some young talent on the line. Bring in a better vet than Karras to captain it.

I like what I saw with Gaskin last year but he will be most effective in a complimentary/change of pace role...add a Harris or Williams in the draft to Gaskin and you'd have a really nice backfield at a very affordable price...fantasy-wise he is a guy that you could get at 50 cents on the dollar (maybe less) as many of his owners are probably panicked over his value...he would be a really nice depth piece as he would be at best one injury from very good numbers (I am assuming Miami adds someone) and IMO at worst could give you some James White type of fantasy value which may not seem too flashy in the offseason but come week 12 when the injuries and bye weeks are piling up you could be very happy you have.

Jones would be great, but man it seems hard to justify that contract given the reduced cap

Linsley I am 100% on board with though. There's some young talent on the line. Bring in a better vet than Karras to captain it.
What's that about? 

17 Game schedule they say, where is the NFL losing money to where they have to reduce salary caps? Not that i am totally against it, players make plenty. 

What's that about? 

17 Game schedule they say, where is the NFL losing money to where they have to reduce salary caps? Not that i am totally against it, players make plenty. 
Basically just lost revenue due to ticket sales being nil last year. The cap is based on a percentage of revenue, so it'll bounce back once attendance is normal, plus whatever gains from the extra game and revenue from legalized gambling. But it's something like $40m under what teams were planning for. It's going to make for a weird free agency, I think. 

Basically just lost revenue due to ticket sales being nil last year. The cap is based on a percentage of revenue, so it'll bounce back once attendance is normal, plus whatever gains from the extra game and revenue from legalized gambling. But it's something like $40m under what teams were planning for. It's going to make for a weird free agency, I think. 
I think you're right about it being somewhere around $40m under from what they were hoping, but it's overall only a total decrease of $18 million from $198m to $180m. That said, if teams structured all these contracts planning cap increases, then they just got whacked.

Especially the Saints and the Eagles. Hoo baby. 

I think you're right about it being somewhere around $40m under from what they were hoping, but it's overall only a total decrease of $18 million from $198m to $180m. That said, if teams structured all these contracts planning cap increases, then they just got whacked.

I didn't realize it was only $198m last season. I saw estimates of $220m pre-covid (when Miami was supposed to have boat loads of space). 

But yeah, some teams definitely tapped into that expected growth. It's like the housing market. It keeps going up, until it doesn't!

I didn't realize it was only $198m last season. I saw estimates of $220m pre-covid (when Miami was supposed to have boat loads of space). 

But yeah, some teams definitely tapped into that expected growth. It's like the housing market. It keeps going up, until it doesn't!
Yep. Bottom just falls out.

By the way, I just read the cap number this morning, so don't think I'm a savant about these things or anything. ;)

I was researching for my own dynasty fantasy squad with our own rosters and cuts looming in an IDP league, and I was wondering about NFL cuts. It all happened to be repeated to me, over and over, article by article. Kind of funny. I now know it off of the top of my head.

Hello to both of you. I want to know more because my instinct or knee-jerk is that the NFL owners/teams get so much money on the TV contracts they don't even have to sell a single ticket to truly turn a profit, pretty sure that's true. 

To lower the salary cap seems very agreeable in smaller market cities or teams that aren't really trying to make a Super Bowl run right now. The stadiums are likely to be full, in Alabame(college) they are going full force with filling up the Stadium. I would think the NFL will be similar, there's enough vaccines for everyone by May we're hearing...it's possible they do an every other seat for 2021 just to play it safe but I think some teams like the ones in Florida are going to try and go full capacity. Assume that's true, where does all that extra money go after they lower the salary cap? I think I know the answer to that one actually. 

Hello to both of you. I want to know more because my instinct or knee-jerk is that the NFL owners/teams get so much money on the TV contracts they don't even have to sell a single ticket to truly turn a profit, pretty sure that's true. 
I'm pretty sure that is true as well, at least since Goodwill took over. Here's a cool article I found while trying to confirm it LINK

From that article, it looks like teams typically make around $12m profit on tickets and concessions per season (although that seems really light, it comes out to like $20 profit per attendee per game. That's what, the profit from 2 beers and a hot dog?).

Even without that revenue, the worst profiting team in 2020 had a $60m operating profit (Bengals), if that article is correct.

Assume that's true, where does all that extra money go after they lower the salary cap?
That's a good question. If the salary cap is based on a percentage of the previous year revenue, then that revenue would just feed into a higher cap in 2022. I am seeing conflicting information whether it's based on previous year revenue, or projected revenue for the upcoming year. If it's the latter, the cut is probably a way to "correct" the gap between 2020 projection vs actual. Could the NFL franchises that profited $60m-$425m even with the lost revenue have covered the losses? Sure. But the league never seems to give back to the NFLPA without getting something back. 

Either way, that extra revenue probably just gets the cap back on the previous track for 2022+.

I'm in for $200 which is the same as I paid for my Packers share.....sure would be cool to own 1/2 of the NFC North....

Gaskin is one of the more interesting post-draft developments. Shows you don’t need to be a supreme talent at the position, although I’m not convinced that Brown and Ahmed won’t get meaningful touches as well. 

Gaskin is one of the more interesting post-draft developments. Shows you don’t need to be a supreme talent at the position, although I’m not convinced that Brown and Ahmed won’t get meaningful touches as well. 
Gaskins is above average in elusiveness and vision, but below average in breaking tackles. I think he's good in the receiving game, good hands, good route runner. At Washington, he broke out as a true freshman, 1,000 yards 4 years in a row. His combine speed was 4.58, but he said he tried to bulk up and it cost him some speed. He's better all around than either Ahmed or Brown, but it's hard to predict how many carries Gaskins will lose to either. He'll lose goal line carries to Brown, for sure. He's no all-pro, but he's being underrated.

Was absolutely FLOORED to see he was RB11 in fantasy PPG in my ppr league... Ahead of jacobs, j taylor, zeke, gibson etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a big fan of Gaskin but I do think when you are putting a value on him you have to include the possibility Miami could still add another quality RB so you don't get blindsided.

honestly, gaskin w a QB that cant throw beyond 5yds is an absolute PPR dream. If he goes hard again this season, might start calling him the DumpTruck

I am a big fan of Gaskin but I do think when you are putting a value on him you have to include the possibility Miami could still add another quality RB so you don't get blindsided.
Fair point - there is always the possibility of a guy like Le’Veon Bell out there. Not sure what he has left, but IIRC there were rumors the  Dolphins were interested last year after being cut from the Jets.

Fair point - there is always the possibility of a guy like Le’Veon Bell out there. Not sure what he has left, but IIRC there were rumors the  Dolphins were interested last year after being cut from the Jets.
There’s also veteran June 1 (or later) salary cap casualties down the road. 

The more I look at this situation I think that if they don't bring anyone else in another sneaky winner could be Lynn Bowden...he started to flash at the season and maybe they see a more sustained role for him this year.

The more I look at this situation I think that if they don't bring anyone else in another sneaky winner could be Lynn Bowden...he started to flash at the season and maybe they see a more sustained role for him this year.
I think they officially move him to WR now, but I suppose they could move him back to RB.

I think they officially move him to WR now, but I suppose they could move him back to RB.
I think you are right, I missed that...totally kills his value...was hoping he could be a sneaky PPR RB after they didn't add anyone...makes Gaskin even more valuable right now.

Dolphins head coach Brian Flores said the addition of Will Fuller and Jaylen Waddle will be a boon for the team's rushing offense. 

It checks out. Adding two burners to the Miami offense should, theoretically, force defenses to back off the line of scrimmage and potentially open up holes for Myles Gaskin and the rest of the Dolphins backs. "Defenses have to make that decision when you have those types of players on the field, and again, if you don't load the box, and you play for those big plays, then there's less people in the box and less people to block and I think it really becomes a kind of numbers math game," Flores said. "If you get those guys blocked, there's more space to run." Not only did Gaskin survive the NFL Draft as the team's No. 1 running back, but the selection of Waddle -- and the free agency signing of Fuller -- creates a more dynamic offense in which he will operate. Gaskin's ADP rise could be held in check if Miami signs another back this spring or summer -- someone like Adrian Peterson, Rex Burkhead, or Duke Johnson. Gaskin averaged the 11th most PPR points per game among RBs in 2020.

RELATED: 

Salvon Ahmed

, Malcolm Brown

SOURCE: MiamiHerald.com 

May 4, 2021, 10:59 AM ET

The main problem with Flores's thinking is that you need a QB who can threaten to stretch the field with his arm. Is Tua that guy? Time will tell...

I think you are right, I missed that...totally kills his value...was hoping he could be a sneaky PPR RB after they didn't add anyone...makes Gaskin even more valuable right now.
I came for the Miles Gaskin, I'm staying for the Lynn Bowden talk. I'll add my two cents: Bowden, as any sort of fantasy entity, died a really slow death this spring, unless he plans on moving back to RB. Then I'm back for the attack with him. But they have so many receivers now that he doesn't even seem rosterable. 

ESPN's Field Yates reports the Dolphins were next in line to claim RB Kerryon Johnson before the Eagles landed him. 

Fantasy managers would do well to note that Miami, having largely passed on running back in the 2021 draft, tried to pick up Johnson after his release from Detroit. Myles Gaskin, who operated as the team's primary back for much of the 2020 season, is the presume 2021 starter -- for now. Expect the Dolphins to make at least one more backfield signing in the coming months that could cast doubt on the size of Gaskin's workload. 

RELATED: 

Kerryon Johnson

, Philadelphia Eagles

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter 

May 12, 2021, 11:21 AM ET

Dolphins RB Myles Gaskin said the team's offensive playbook is "much different than last year."

That's to be expected after Miami swapped former OC Chan Gailey for new co-coordinators Eric Studesville and George Godsey and prioritized its entire offseason around building a foundation for Tua Tagovailoa. Gaskin also said he prioritized "strengthening his knees and ankles" after playing in only 10 games last season. Coach Brian Flores has touted free agent pickup Malcolm Brown as a short-yardage back this offseason, but Gaskin remains the team's primary option with a leg up on passing downs after accruing a 13.4% target share last year. The latter is the best bet to emerge as a strong weekly RB2 at his current ADP (RB22) in Best-Ball formats no matter the team's schematic changes.

SOURCE: Adam Beasley on Twitter

May 17, 2021, 3:05 PM ET

Gaskin looks like a nice value as of now, but have to see if they add any competition either post June 1 cuts or in training camp.

Miami is the only NFL team I know of just not now but forever who hired 2 GUYS to be the OC so that nobody specific is responsible. 

What's the over/under on both of them making it thru the entire 2021 season? I'm asking!

Gaskin looks like a nice value as of now, but have to see if they add any competition either post June 1 cuts or in training camp.
He's the No 1 guy in Miami don't care who they sign post -June 1st including the likes of Lev Bell, still think Gaskin would be the dominant RB or get the majority of the touches based on what we have seen from Bell the last few years. 

He's the No 1 guy in Miami don't care who they sign post -June 1st including the likes of Lev Bell, still think Gaskin would be the dominant RB or get the majority of the touches based on what we have seen from Bell the last few years. 
Signs are surely pointing that way, but given that they were rumored (maybe just that) to take Javonte Williams before Denver swooped in to trade ahead of them, or they were rumored to nab Kerryon Johnson off waivers, kind of makes you wonder if Flores is still looking to upgrade at the position.

Signs are surely pointing that way, but given that they were rumored (maybe just that) to take Javonte Williams before Denver swooped in to trade ahead of them, or they were rumored to nab Kerryon Johnson off waivers, kind of makes you wonder if Flores is still looking to upgrade at the position.
Miami is carrying like 12 WRs at the moment, think a lot of these players they have are simply camp fodder at a certain point. I could name you 11-12 OL at least, they likely carry no more than 8-9 at most on the active roster. 

👍

Is it just me or does Gaskins seem to be very replaceable? 
The 2 signs are Malcom Brown signing and reports that Denver traded up ahead of Mia for Javonte Williams. 

Forgot to add the Kerryon Williams report also. 

I turned down an offer for Gaskins (Lockett).

No, I didn't read the thread, just posted my opinion on Gaskin....sorry.
It’s ok - but that’s been the discussion all off-season and still is. Even after surviving free agency and the draft people are still concerned a June 1 cut veteran could replace Gaskin or at least seriously cut into his snaps.

It’s ok - but that’s been the discussion all off-season and still is. Even after surviving free agency and the draft people are still concerned a June 1 cut veteran could replace Gaskin or at least seriously cut into his snaps.
But those FA RB's are limited.... The only real concern is Gus Edwards (26) but Balt claims he is going to be re-signed.  

Le'Veon Bell  29 yo

Todd Gurley 27

Ito Smith 25

Devonta Freeman 29

Paul Perkins  26

DeAndre Washington  28 

But those FA RB's are limited.... The only real concern is Gus Edwards (26) but Balt claims he is going to be re-signed.  

Le'Veon Bell  29 yo

Todd Gurley 27

Ito Smith 25

Devonta Freeman 29

Paul Perkins  26

DeAndre Washington  28 
What about this Doaks fella they drafted?  or Ahmed?

Le'Veon Bell  29 yo

Todd Gurley 27

Ito Smith 25

Devonta Freeman 29

Paul Perkins  26

DeAndre Washington  28 
I’m not speaking to the current group of veteran free agents - there could be some post June 1 salary cap casualties hitting the market all the way up to final cut downs. Miami could still add some real competition before the season starts.

Users who are viewing this thread