What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mid-Large SUV Recommendations - now sponsored by Kia (1 Viewer)

nirad3

Footballguy
I am in the market for a slightly-used SUV.  I don't want one of the smaller ones for sure.  I think I want to go a little bigger  (  :oldunsure:   ) but not HUGE like a Suburban.

I have seen a few Chevy Traverses on the road and they look nice.  

Third--row seating not necessary.  I want some giddy-up when I hit the accelerator, leather seats and a power moonroof.   :drive:

Anyone buy recently and have a recommendation?  I'll probably be looking at a 2018 lease return.  

Edit to add:  Probably looking at something domestic and/or cheaper.  Can't afford BMW/Lexus/etc.  :(

TIA  :)   

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a fan of the Chevy Tahoe.  Have had three of them beginning with a 2000 bought brand new .  Traded that in at about 2013 for a 2007 version.  Traded that in in 2018 for a 2018 version.  They held their value really well and served my purposes well.  I like the look and like the ride as well for this type of vehicle.  My current version (2018) has bucket seats in the back and fold down third row (auto).  It fits 6 adults very comfortably.  I like this much better than the bench seat in the second row because then in renders the third row basically useless for adults. 

I know you said you didn't need a third row but make sure you get it that way.  It helps hold the value much better. 

Don't get a Traverse...... after lawyers involved ours was lemon lawed.   Though, we have a Suburban now and it has been pretty good, so don't need to completely rule Chevy out.

For the size you are talking about, I don't know that I can recommend the Honda Pilot highly enough. We got one the year they came out (I believe 2003) and finally after about 270K miles we traded it in back in March when we got our Honda Accord.

Also, I know you have two small children now - they will get bigger, you will want to be able to take friends places, and kids have lots of crap that needs to go places (say the beach, or sporting events, etc.). I agree with Gally about getting something with the 3rd row, though I'm less concerned with holding value, more with what I have found is important as a parent of multiple children.

Don't get a Traverse...... after lawyers involved ours was lemon lawed.   Though, we have a Suburban now and it has been pretty good, so don't need to completely rule Chevy out.

For the size you are talking about, I don't know that I can recommend the Honda Pilot highly enough. We got one the year they came out (I believe 2003) and finally after about 270K miles we traded it in back in March when we got our Honda Accord.

Also, I know you have two small children now - they will get bigger, you will want to be able to take friends places, and kids have lots of crap that needs to go places (say the beach, or sporting events, etc.). I agree with Gally about getting something with the 3rd row, though I'm less concerned with holding value, more with what I have found is important as a parent of multiple children.
  I have been in the auto business my whole career.  15 years as a buyer at Ford, then went on my own repping 3 suppliers that I bought from at Ford.  So I deal with the Big 3, Honda and Toyota.  The last 5-10 years or so almost everyone uses the same suppliers, they use the same CAD designs, the lines are almost all the same now.   They use the same paint and paint applications. There are no secrets. Same tires, same rims. Vehicles today are much more alike than different.  Not like they were in the 90s.

Honda and GM merged to get more buying power and cheaper prices.  They will be using same components.

The RAV4 is probably smaller than you want but I like ours.

I love my 08 Highlander, and my wife will probably get a new one in a few years unless I'm able to convince her to take my RAV4 and I'll get a Tesla. 

Still have an 09 traverse. After a few early recalls (never buy a first year model, and I still did), it's been pretty good.

The new ones are much nicer

Still have an 09 traverse. After a few early recalls (never buy a first year model, and I still did), it's been pretty good.

The new ones are much nicer
This is good advice, especially the early part of launch.  There’s always a bunch of stuff they find late or just buy off on because they have no other option and typically don’t make any changes for 90 days after launch

This is good advice, especially the early part of launch.  There’s always a bunch of stuff they find late or just buy off on because they have no other option and typically don’t make any changes for 90 days after launch
Bought a first year BMW X7 and it’s awesome. Best car I’ve ever owned. Wasn’t perfect; minor issue with a coolant leak at one point. But they sorted it out and it’s been dynamite ever since. 

I know you said "domestic", but I have really liked my Toyota 4 Runner.  Bought it in new 2010 and still going strong.  I will strongly consider getting another one when the time comes (probably soon when my next child learns to drive and I pass the current 4 Runner to my kids for their use.)

I know you said "domestic", but I have really liked my Toyota 4 Runner.  Bought it in new 2010 and still going strong.  I will strongly consider getting another one when the time comes (probably soon when my next child learns to drive and I pass the current 4 Runner to my kids for their use.)
Sorry I think I was unclear.  I meant to say that I need to go domestic OR on the cheaper end.  Can't go to the luxury side like BMW, Lexus, Benz, etc.

I've had a Toyota for almost a decade and have no complaints.  RAV-4 is too small but 4-Runner could be in the mix.

Appreciate everyone's replies!  :)  

We have two young kids and the third row is nice when either of our parents visit. This allows us to take 1 vehicle when we go out to eat(someday), go to the beach, etc.

We have a 2018 Honda Pilot base model that was 27k brand new. The reason we went with it is because it was on the cheap side. There was not much difference between the CX-9, Highlander, Pilot, or any of the vehicles that my wife was looking at.

They all drove the same with the same basic interior layout. We went with the one that we got the best price on.

I see that you want the bells and whistles, you may want to check out Acura MDX or Infinity QX 60. For whatever reason both of those brands tank in value after purchase even though they are just a Honda or Nissan.

We found used Acura MDX's much cheaper than used 4runners or explorers a few years ago. Although it is much more sensible to just get a base model pilot.

A lot of bad reviews on the new Explorer.

I have a 2014 Durango and it's been the best vehicle I have ever owned. Last vehicle designed by Mercedes when they owner Chrysler.

130,000 miles, original brakes. I've done oil changes and replaced the tires once.

25mpg on the freeway. Excellent vehicle to travel in. Rides amazing. ZF trans is smooth. Built in crossbars which is a nice feature. 

Following, as I’ve been looking primarily at 4Runners, Pilots, and Highlanders. 
We had a 2011 Pilot...great SUV would have upgraded to the new pilot, but wife hated the styling as it now looks like a mini van.  Have had a 2018 4Runner for a few years now and it is great!  A 3rd row was a requirement for us though, with 3 kids.

We have two young kids and the third row is nice when either of our parents visit. This allows us to take 1 vehicle when we go out to eat(someday), go to the beach, etc.

We have a 2018 Honda Pilot base model that was 27k brand new. The reason we went with it is because it was on the cheap side. There was not much difference between the CX-9, Highlander, Pilot, or any of the vehicles that my wife was looking at.

They all drove the same with the same basic interior layout. We went with the one that we got the best price on.

I see that you want the bells and whistles, you may want to check out Acura MDX or Infinity QX 60. For whatever reason both of those brands tank in value after purchase even though they are just a Honda or Nissan.

We found used Acura MDX's much cheaper than used 4runners or explorers a few years ago. Although it is much more sensible to just get a base model pilot.
We loved our GMC Yukon for the kids. My BIL has the Chevy Tahoe version. Both really nice and big and comfortable. But note they’re on a truck platform and drive like it. Still solid vehicles. Would buy again. 

I have a Santa Fe and it's pretty nice in terms of features for the price.  I'd get a Volvo or BMW if I wanted to upgrade.
I bought a certified pre owned 2017 Santa Fe LTD. Lease return with 19,000 miles. Has captains chairs in 2nd row and fold down 3rd row. I love it so much I bought a 2017 Santa Fe Sport for my wife. Different trim package, nicer actually. No 3rd row seating. She loves it. The features you get on a Hyundai are excellent value for the money. Highly recommend.

Not domestic but I'm a fan of the 4runner.  Great SUV and extremely reliable.  Still on my 2006 and runs great. 

That is on the short list.  We leased a brand new Escape when we lived in MN (so had it from 2012-2014) and I absolutely loved it.
You might want to consider the Edge too if you don't need the 3rd row.  Smaller than the Explorer, but a lot bigger than the Escape.

Does no one here have a Subaru Ascent yet?  The wife got one in January and we both love it.  She wanted a Tahoe, but I asked her to at least test drive the Ascent.  She fell in love and never looked back.  

Its a tad shorter than a Tahoe, but still really spacious.  Ours has captain seats and a 3rd row.   I've sat in the back and its tolerable.  

Has AWD, can tow 5000 lbs and has a very zippy 2.0 super charged 4 cylinder.   I think they all come standard with lane assist and the pacing cruise control. 

Has anybody had a newer model Jeep Cherokee?  I am currently debating between that and another Edge myself.
I seem to get newer decked out Jeep Cherokees as my rental car quite often. I’ve probably had 10 or so different ones over the past year. I love them. I’m looking into maybe buying one myself.

We had a 2011 Pilot...great SUV would have upgraded to the new pilot, but wife hated the styling as it now looks like a mini van.  Have had a 2018 4Runner for a few years now and it is great!  A 3rd row was a requirement for us though, with 3 kids.
New Pilot design looks better than the boxy old one IMO.

I have never liked the Explorer.  I like the Tahoe much better.  Might be a Ford vs Chevy thing.....hahahaha
Yeah, could be. I'm the opposite - like Ford a lot better.  :lol:  

And to be honest, I have no real Ford v Chevy loyalties - I typically buy from American car companies. But I've driven both. Heck, I own a 2016 Escape now and a 2004 Suburban. Both have been great cars. I had an 05 Explorer before the Escape. 

There are just certain things about Chevy that bother me:

1. The electronics on those cars after awhile just start doing goofy stuff with the lighting, radio, car seat warmers, etc. It's always something. 

2. The ride is just looser to me, from the steering column to the front suspension. I've had this happen in a previous Chevy truck I drove for work - did the same thing.

3. Definitely more rattles and noises come from my Chevy than I ever had with the Explorer.  I feel like I'm driving the Millenium Falcon some days just saying: "come on girl, let's hold together as we pull through hyperspace to get to Costco"

Our next car will be either an Expedition or an F-150. 

Yeah, could be. I'm the opposite - like Ford a lot better.  :lol:  

And to be honest, I have no real Ford v Chevy loyalties - I typically buy from American car companies. But I've driven both. Heck, I own a 2016 Escape now and a 2004 Suburban. Both have been great cars. I had an 05 Explorer before the Escape. 

There are just certain things about Chevy that bother me:

1. The electronics on those cars after awhile just start doing goofy stuff with the lighting, radio, car seat warmers, etc. It's always something. 

2. The ride is just looser to me, from the steering column to the front suspension. I've had this happen in a previous Chevy truck I drove for work - did the same thing.

3. Definitely more rattles and noises come from my Chevy than I ever had with the Explorer.  I feel like I'm driving the Millenium Falcon some days just saying: "come on girl, let's hold together as we pull through hyperspace to get to Costco"

Our next car will be either an Expedition or an F-150. 
I don't feel like i have any real Ford vs Chevy loyalty either but I am the exact opposite of you.....hahah

I like the drive feel from the Tahoe much better than the Explorers I have driven.  Same goes with chevy trucks vs ford trucks.  I guess that's why they are both in business.  I don't think either are inherently better or worse (I have experienced some of those electronic goofy stuff, I had the original radio drain the battery for some reason.  It took a few months to figure out what was causing the drain and various mechanics couldn't figure it out.  It happened at about 120K miles.  Very odd.  Replaced the stereo and everything was fine).  

(I have experienced some of those electronic goofy stuff, I had the original radio drain the battery for some reason.  It took a few months to figure out what was causing the drain and various mechanics couldn't figure it out.  It happened at about 120K miles.  Very odd.  Replaced the stereo and everything was fine).  
I had one of these too in the Suburban. Battery kept draining.

Father in law is a mechanic so one day he brought over his voltage meter and we tested every fuse to see what was causing a spike in power when the car was powered down. Turns out it was the instrument cluster, so we just replaced that and it's been fine since. Right about the same mileage as you too.

Just rolled over 170k in mileage yesterday. 

Does no one here have a Subaru Ascent yet?  The wife got one in January and we both love it.  She wanted a Tahoe, but I asked her to at least test drive the Ascent.  She fell in love and never looked back.  

Its a tad shorter than a Tahoe, but still really spacious.  Ours has captain seats and a 3rd row.   I've sat in the back and its tolerable.  

Has AWD, can tow 5000 lbs and has a very zippy 2.0 super charged 4 cylinder.   I think they all come standard with lane assist and the pacing cruise control. 
All kinds of issues with those things:

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/788113-car-guys-dumb-dad-disaster-here-help-predict-our-misery/

Don't know if you are wanting to go this big or not, but a buddy of mine recently purchased a several year old Nissan Armada.    Loves it.    8,500 pound towing capacity, and very comfortable ride for a larger SUV

On our 2nd Honda Pilot.  Great car, perfect size to park without being a Yukon/Tahoe monster.  Decent gas mileage.  3rd row seat.

I would recommend the 6 speed trany vs. the 9.  We've had both and prefer the 6.  Not "hunting" for a gear all the time.

didn’t read the whole thread, but saw you couldn’t afford BMW.  1) you’re an fbg, so this is a lie.  2) the certified pre owned x3 i think is a nice deal.  this is the car i drive and i just upgraded to a 2017 for between 25-30k with less than 30k miles.  warranty is 5/unlimited from in service date and some still xfer the bmw maintenance plan that covers oil, brakes, etc.  you’re an fbg, cmon now.....

didn’t read the whole thread, but saw you couldn’t afford BMW.  1) you’re an fbg, so this is a lie.  2) the certified pre owned x3 i think is a nice deal.  this is the car i drive and i just upgraded to a 2017 for between 25-30k with less than 30k miles.  warranty is 5/unlimited from in service date and some still xfer the bmw maintenance plan that covers oil, brakes, etc.  you’re an fbg, cmon now.....
I live in SoCal.  :coffee:  

This is interesting, though.  I'd be a buyer if I could find one at that price.

I'm enjoying this thread, as I am also in the market for a slightly used SUV. Looking to bump up in size a little from an '03 RAV4 that has served me very well. Several of the vehicles mentioned in this thread have been in my crosshairs recently. 

Anyone have personal experience with a Chevy Equinox or GMC Terrain that they'd like to share?

Users who are viewing this thread