Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Ruth Bader Ginsburg RIP

3 minutes ago, I-ROK said:

I say take a vote regardless. I think McConnell should have taken a vote and denied Garland as we all expect they would have. The outcome was essentially the same as it would have been anyways, but that’s my position 

That's the sad/funny part.

Had they allowed for hearings and voted against Garland.....that's their right.  The Senate is under no obligation to confirm a president's nominee at ANY time.

But by playing games the way they did....they've lost any moral ground to push someone through now.  If they were so confident he wouldn't be confirmed.....just vote.

Not that I think Mitch McConnell cares about what is "right" in this instance..... but still.....incredibly short sighted from a strategic perspective.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Just now, Ilov80s said:

But do they have the votes? Again Kavanaugh was a tough sell and with the election right here, some of the GOP Senators in danger might not be so quick to jump on board.

I think with the level of enthusiasm on the republican side, and the fact that the SCOTUS was the #1 factor in the last election for republicans, voting to not confirm would be political suicide for any republican senator

I would say it’s likely Romney would vote no. But we all know what happens to him at his re-election bid when that rolls around 

6 minutes ago, I-ROK said:

The senate could adopt Nancy Pelosi’s proxy rule. Allow senators to vote for up to 11 of their peers. Only 5 would need to be present. Liberals don’t seem to have a problem with that rule. Should allow Senators to go home and vote by proxy

I like this idea. It would keep the Democrats phony outrage and grandstanding to a minimum. 

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1
4 minutes ago, I-ROK said:

I think with the level of enthusiasm on the republican side, and the fact that the SCOTUS was the #1 factor in the last election for republicans, voting to not confirm would be political suicide for any republican senator

I would say it’s likely Romney would vote no. But we all know what happens to him at his re-election bid when that rolls around 

Well obviously if one is a GOP Senator with dangerous polling number,  it's double edged sword. I think the side of true democracy/will of the people is clear is here. Wait until after the election. Trump is not a lame duck. If people want him to be POTUS and pick the next SC Justice, they will have their say. Jamming him through before is admitting a position of Democratic weakness. 

7 minutes ago, I-ROK said:

Tough for Collins for re-election in a liberal state.

25 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

Sad, for sure, but my money is that she died about 3 weeks ago and they are just reporting it now.  I mean, this had Weekend at Ginsburg's written all over it for a while.

:thumbdown:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It seems I'm in the minority, but I think there's no way the Republicans try to ram through a replacement before the election.  One, even for politicians, the hypocrisy would just be too much.  Two, it's a potent issue to keep Trump-hating conservatives from voting Biden.

Edited by Dr_Zaius
23 minutes ago, Widbil83 said:

I always liked Ruth in interviews and she seemed to have a great sense of humor. That doesn’t change the fact she did decades of irreversible damage to this country. RIP.

Care to list?

I tend to be Republican.  If i were Trump i wouldn't nominate anyone.  He could jeopardize any possibility of keeping the senate or if you are trump fan this could push any chance of him winning the election beyond reach.  If he wins then he gets to pick RBG's replacement.  If he loses and has picked RBG's replacement then the Democratic party will stuff the court as they have threatened.  That will be countered by Republicans and soon we will have 150 Supreme Court justices.  He might actually get some votes if he defers any action just to show he is presidential.

Also i don't think he will get the votes he needs.  Murkowski, Grassley have said no in the past, Romney won't and i don't think Collins will either.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Dr_Zaius said:

It seems I'm in the minority, but I think there's no way the Republicans try to ram through a replacement before the election.  One, even for politicians, the hypocrisy would just be too much.  Two, it's a potent issue to keep Trump-hating conservatives from voting Biden.

Right, the carrot to lure out reluctant Republicans could be bigger than trying to jam it in. Though I suppose that carrot attracts donkeys as well. 

Edited by Ilov80s
9 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

How about we leave the politics out of this thread, and leave this to conversation about RBG specifically.

There are a few other threads where the political ramifications are being discussed.

Probably a good idea.  RIP RBG.  Thank you for your service.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Also, Trump has been pretty bad at hiring people. I think that track record alone should give everyone pause regardless of politics. 

Right. These are not normal times.

And agreed this thread shouldn't be political. RIP to an amazing woman.

Edited by TheMagus
43 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

Sad, for sure, but my money is that she died about 3 weeks ago and they are just reporting it now.  I mean, this had Weekend at Ginsburg's written all over it for a while.

Still don’t think you’re being disrespectful?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
3 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

Still don’t think you’re being disrespectful?

Not really.  You think people who die really want people to be sad for them?  Or happy and laughing?  Comedy lightens the heart and helps the healing process.

However, I'm sure sure somebody has already reported me because they can't take a joke.

Edited by BladeRunner
  • Sad 1
Just now, BladeRunner said:

Not really.  You think people who die really want people to be sad for them?  Or happy and laughing?  Comedy lightens the heart and helps the healing process.

That is an awful perspective in this case and you know it.

• Thanks 2
5 minutes ago, TheMagus said:

Right. These are not normal times.

And agreed this thread shouldn't be political. RIP to an amazing woman.

The only reason it is not normal times is because people aren't acting normal. Each person can play a role in fixing that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, BladeRunner said:

It's not respect for the dead that we show, it's respect for the living who are hurt by their great loss. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, BladeRunner said:

You’re being ridiculous. I’ll leave it at that. 

• Like 8
  • Laughing 1
50 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

Weekend at Ginsburgs? You have got to be kidding.

6 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

Is there a thread in here for when Scalia died?  I'd like to go read that and see just how "respectful" everyone was in there.

Since you responded to me, I’ll say that I wouldn’t be surprised at all if people were being disrespectful in that thread too. That doesn’t make your comments any less disrespectful. As you know, I was defending you just last night in another thread, so this isn’t personal at all. I’m just being straight with you. A Weekend at Bernie’s joke in the hours following her death is neither respectful nor healing nor funny.  And, no, I didn’t report you. Okay, that’s really all I have to say on the subject. 

Edited by bigbottom
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
9 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

Is there a thread in here for when Scalia died?  I'd like to go read that and see just how "respectful" everyone was in there.

Yes I remember the Scalia thread, many posters here were were trashing him and kicking dirt on his grave immediately. It got “sanitized” of course.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Bert said:

May the she rest in piece.

It was clear she had slipped mentally over the last decade allowing herself to be dominated by the racist Sotomayor.  

I am aware of one comment from 11 years ago that some people thought was racist. Has there been anything else?

Just now, mrip541 said:

I am aware of one comment from 11 years ago that some people thought was racist. Has there been anything else?

Her voting record.  Her rulings as a judge were she thinks its okay to have different testing/admission standards based on skin color or ethnicity.  That is the very definition of racism.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Bert said:

Her voting record.  Her rulings as a judge were she thinks its okay to have different testing/admission standards based on skin color or ethnicity.  That is the very definition of racism.

By that logic, RBG is a racist. Sandra Day O’Connor as well. 

Edited by bigbottom
  • Like 1
24 minutes ago, Bert said:

Thanks. I can't say I agree but I appreciate the reply.

First of all RIP, Ruth was an icon.   

But we have to realize she was going to be 88 soon and has been in poor health for many years. I think some of the justices, and politicians should have some foresight and retire at the correct time.  Ruth`s time to retire probably was when she turned 80 and Obama was finishing up his first term. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Navin Johnson said:
On 9/18/2020 at 10:00 PM, mrip541 said:

Her comments on the Kaepernick situation seemed to be a  little tone deaf IIRC

Instead of just recalling can you put forth a little effort and post what comments you are referring to? Drive by bashing of someone who just died is not cool.