What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Help me read this covid question (1 Viewer)

AcerFC

Footballguy
My wife and I are having a small disagreement on the wording of this question on the kids Covid questionnaire. This isnt a fight or a Im right you are wrong kind of disagreement. Just want to do the right thing.

Here is the question and the scenario. My niece is a college student who had covid last week. As of Friday, the CDC said she was free to go about her normal life. She no longer is experiencing symptoms and no longer has covid. 

My daughter saw my niece on Sunday, both with masks and not longer than 15 minutes but the question still remains in how to read it  

2. Has this person had close contact (within 6 feet of an infected person for at least 15 minutes) with a person with confirmed COVID-19 within the prior 14 days?

I read it as, has my daughter had close contact with my niece who has had covid in the last 14 days

My wife reads it as, has my daughter had close contact with my niece who no longer has covid so it doesnt apply

If Sunday was the only day they interacted I agree with your wife. Your niece no longer HAS Covid, she HAD Covid. So your niece is no longer infected and your daughter did not interact with an infected person.

Neither.

Has your daughter had close contact with someone in the past 14 days that has covid.

You were not longer than 15 minutes and your niece is no longer active

So the question should read. At any point in the past 14 days have you had more than 15 minutes of contact with a person who had Covid at the time of said contact. 

I am no poet, so this rewrite isn’t the best and I do know it.

Everyone’s rewrites are nice, but technically your daughter had the identified contact with a person who was confirmed to have COVID in the prior 14 days. Your only out is the 15 minute thing.  

Aside: can’t your niece who just had COVID just FaceTime folks for a few more days rather than go out and see people in person??!

Everyone’s rewrites are nice, but technically your daughter had the identified contact with a person who was confirmed to have COVID in the prior 14 days. Your only out is the 15 minute thing.  

Aside: can’t your niece who just had COVID just FaceTime folks for a few more days rather than go out and see people in person??!
And this is from a lawyer. 

Wrong. The definition of close contact states that it is within 6 feet for 15+ minutes of an “infected” person. An infected person is one who is capable of infecting others. According to the info Acer provided, his niece was determined to no longer be infectious as of Friday, meaning that she was no longer an infected individual when his daughter was with her later. So the situation does not meet the definition of close contact.

Wrong. The definition of close contact states that it is within 6 feet for 15+ minutes of an “infected” person. An infected person is one who is capable of infecting others. According to the info Acer provided, his niece was determined to no longer be infectious as of Friday, meaning that she was no longer an infected individual when his daughter was with her later. So the situation does not meet the definition of close contact.
This actually helps me see my wifes thinking more clearly than she was able to. The Infected part is the key I think for her. 

Poorly written question imo

She...no longer has covid. 

Has this person had close contact within 6 feet of an infected person
Also, assuming all info in the post is accurate, if she "no longer has covid" then she's not an infected person.  Not a doctor or a lawyer though so take it with a grain of salt.

Personally, I don't know how the timelines work but I don't see how your niece "had COVID last week" but by Friday no longer had COVID.  Is that how it works?  In the interests of public safety I'd probably indicate yes on the questionnaire, but if you're looking for an out I think a literal reading of the question means you could reasonably answer no.

He’s right. This is how it spreads. Your daughter may be fine but why risk an exposure. If I’m the niece, I wouldn’t put a kid who she obviously cares for at risk. Not for a few minute visit.

Also, how is the CDC telling your niece? Are they doing testing or was it based on time? There are still testing inaccuracies so I’d want to make sure my son at college (as an example) testing negative more than once before he came home and was exposed to us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, Im not looking for an out. I concern myself with other people's health (during this time at least) and just want to do the right thing

Regardless of the time spent with her. I did not have a stopwatch 

He’s right. This is how it spreads. Your daughter may be fine but why risk an exposure. If I’m the niece, I wouldn’t put a kid who she obviously cares for at risk.

Also, how is the CDC telling your niece? Are they doing testing or was it based on time? There are still testing inaccuracies so I’d want to make sure my son at college (as an example) testing negative more than once before he came home and was exposed to us.
As far as I know, the CDC was talking with her every day by phone

As far as I know, the CDC was talking with her every day by phone
Was she part of a test? I didn’t know the CDC got in the middle of lab testing. We had our oldest son tested a couple months ago because he was hanging out with a friend who’s girlfriend had been at a party where two kids who made out got CV. He was negative. We kept him out of work for that week waiting for the results, but the CDC wasn’t part of it just his doctor and the lab. Personally, I’d be extra cautious especially if your daughter is obviously going to in person school. I know it’s an instant gratification world and I know it’s highly unlikely anything was transmitted but I’d just wait till the weekend after or knowing the school’s questions make sure it’s 14 days negative.

Was she part of a test? I didn’t know the CDC got in the middle of lab testing. We had our oldest son tested a couple months ago because he was hanging out with a friend who’s girlfriend had been at a party where two kids who made out got CV. He was negative. We kept him out of work for that week waiting for the results, but the CDC wasn’t part of it just his doctor and the lab. Personally, I’d be extra cautious especially if your daughter is obviously going to in person school. I know it’s an instant gratification world and I know it’s highly unlikely anything was transmitted but I’d just wait till the weekend after or knowing the school’s questions make sure it’s 14 days negative.
I am not sure of the specifics. Based on what my wife was telling me, the CDC was tracking all of the people she came in contact with and giving her a timeline for when she can leave quarantine. 

I am not sure of the specifics. Based on what my wife was telling me, the CDC was tracking all of the people she came in contact with and giving her a timeline for when she can leave quarantine. 
That makes sense. I assume she tested negative as well. Anyway, just me but I wouldn’t have rushed out to hang out with people. I’m not sure the CDC has inspired confidence in me. If it were summer time maybe it’s not as big a deal but with your kids in school, I’d have been more cautious. I mean the fact that you are your wife are discussing the semantics of school questions is why I wouldn’t have done that meeting yet and why I think @Otis is correct. 

That makes sense. I assume she tested negative as well. Anyway, just me but I wouldn’t have rushed out to hang out with people. I’m not sure the CDC has inspired confidence in me. If it were summer time maybe it’s not as big a deal but with your kids in school, I’d have been more cautious. I mean the fact that you are your wife are discussing the semantics of school questions is why I wouldn’t have done that meeting yet and why I think @Otis is correct. 
I agree with you. My niece showed up at my daughters soccer game and my daughter went to say Hi 

We can discuss the etiquette of a college kid doing that in a new thread. My niece is a good kid who didnt go near anyone else. The field is walkable from her house so I guess she figured no harm no foul. Again, not something I would have done but it happened. 

You said that she had it last week, but when did she last test positive for COVID?  Because it seems to me that technically, that is the last time she had a confirmed case of COVID.  

You said that she had it last week, but when did she last test positive for COVID?  Because it seems to me that technically, that is the last time she had a confirmed case of COVID.  
This is the key to answering the question. 

Your only statement about your niece is that she "had Covid last week".  That could mean she actually had symptoms or it just means that she was in that 2 week window for when she was supposed to quarantine.  However, based on the CDC telling her she could go about normal activities as of Friday, I'm assuming she tested positive two weeks prior to that (symptoms or no symptoms doesn't matter) and that's the main information to fill in the blank.  So, once she passes that deadline (Friday), she no longer has Covid for the purposes of that question.  Any interaction after that is with a person who does NOT have Covid. 

He said she didn’t. I’m taking his word for it. 
Right, a lot of this hinges on the accuracy of the information.  If, as the post says, she didn't have COVID at the time of the meeting then there's no issue answering "no."  Just seems weird to say that she had COVID last week, but also didn't have COVID on Friday.  I didn't think someone could know that with any kind of certainty in such a short timeframe.  

I agree with you. My niece showed up at my daughters soccer game and my daughter went to say Hi 

We can discuss the etiquette of a college kid doing that in a new thread. My niece is a good kid who didnt go near anyone else. The field is walkable from her house so I guess she figured no harm no foul. Again, not something I would have done but it happened. 
Outdoors? Out of quarantine? 

I would answer no.

Users who are viewing this thread