What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

​ 🐘 ​​ 🐴 ​2020 Presidential Debates thread - 2nd Debate October 15 (3 Viewers)

Read him carefully.  He is only saying that almost everyone that died from Covid had something else wrong with them that likely contributed to the death.  He is educating us on something that those  that read/listen/watch the bias media have  known since early on.  
Would it be fair to say that Covid exacerbated these deaths?  

I think someone said it early on "Trump might not be a racist.....but Trump has convinced racists that he's a man looking out for them".  
Or "I think Trump is a racist, and here's my evidence to support that belief."  That should be totally fine IMO.  It's not the same thing as making fun of him for having a funny haircut or being obese.  Trump is a very easy person to make fun of, but I try my best to avoid mocking him for his physical appearance.

Would it be fair to say that Covid exacerbated these deaths?  
Of course!  I'm not defending the statement, I am saying that the statement is pretty much meaningless to this conversation.  At least in the macro sense.  Maybe in micro sense it helps the tiny fraction of the population without known risk factors feel safer, but how does it really impact our analysis of the situation or  future policy decisions or even indict the media?   I say does none of those things.  Just gets "likes" from those that want to show us "the truth"!

It’s actually lazy to call Trump a racist.  It’s more precise to say that he tweets and re-tweets racist comments, he frequently refuses to condemn racism, and he openly courts racists.   Those things aren’t disputable.

That alone doesn’t make him a racist.  It’s impossible to know with certainty what goes on in someone else’s heart and mind.
Those activities are racist in my mind. I non-rascist would never do that.  

Those activities are racist in my mind. I non-rascist would never do that.  
Not necessarily, it could just be pandering.  If I ran for office, I would have to pander to unions, but I don’t believe in them.  Trump could be doing the same with racists.
That's a valid point. This article has an interesting analysis of a 1991 Trump interview where he talks about David Duke. Basically, Trump shrewdly observed that it was a bad move for George H. Bush to loudly denounce Duke, because Duke was very popular with a lot of white voters, and you don't gain much by alienating those people.

He has years of racist acts and statements going back to the 1970s.   His actions pre-date ever running for office.  Anyone who thinks he isn't a racist is in denial.  
That was around the time Biden said he didn't want his kids growing up in a racial jungle.  Also these quotes.

“Well, I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump, then you ain’t black.”

“In Delaware, the largest growth in population is Indian-Americans moving from India. You cannot go to a 7-Eleven or a Dunkin’ Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent.”

"Poor kids are just as bright as white kids"

Oh yeah, authored the worst crime bill for blacks ever.

I’m in the medical field on the frontline.  If you think everything you hear about COVID is accurate because what the media says..........

If you saw the raw numbers of individuals that actually expired (still not a good thing) from COVID and JUST COVID, you’d be shocked.  That’s why politics are the devil and it’s a shame.  I gave my  :2cents:  and I’m out  :thumbup:
Ok, there are 216k deaths attributed to covid. There are 299k excess deaths. So if not covid, then what is responsible for these hundreds of thousands of EXCESS deaths?
Read him carefully.  He is only saying that almost everyone that died from Covid had something else wrong with them that likely contributed to the death.  He is educating us on something that those  that read/listen/watch the bias media have  known since early on.  
There's no media bias here, it's the CDC saying 300k excess deaths, with about 3/4 being attributed to covid. I simply asked if it's not from covid what is the supposed silent/unspoken cause of those excess deaths. 

Of course!  I'm not defending the statement, I am saying that the statement is pretty much meaningless to this conversation.  At least in the macro sense.  Maybe in micro sense it helps the tiny fraction of the population without known risk factors feel safer, but how does it really impact our analysis of the situation or  future policy decisions or even indict the media?   I say does none of those things.  Just gets "likes" from those that want to show us "the truth"!
:thumbup:

Good stuff, GB.

Biden's comment is similar to Hillary's comments about coal in 2016. People freaked out because she wanted to do away with millions of jobs by killing the coal industry, so all these coal workers voted for Trump because he promised to save coal.

Guess what? The coal industry collapsed anyway. Trump did nothing for those workers.

Both Hillary and Biden took the wrong approach with the situation, and basically put their feet in their mouths. They should have taken a more nuanced approach -- promoting alternate fuels without attacking the old industries.
IMO Biden should have been comparing carbon based fuels to fast food.  Both are cheap, fast, easy and in the case of fast food, delicious.  Nobody wants to get rid of fast food, or carbon fuels, as it's fine in moderation.  However it's not healthy for a person, or the planet, to live on either alone. 

stlrams said:
Ok I will offer 10 - 1 odds that joe will not last until 1-22 until him turns over president over to Kamala...
I’m not a gambler, but I think I’ll take that bet. To clarify, you’ll pay me 10x the amount I offer that Biden steps down by January 22, 2021? If so, I’ll bet $1000 to your $10,000. Deal?

stlrams said:
Ok I will offer 10 - 1 odds that joe will not last until 1-22 until him turns over president over to Kamala...
I’m not a gambler, but I think I’ll take that bet. To clarify, you’ll pay me 10x the amount I offer that Biden steps down by January 22, 2021? If so, I’ll bet $1000 to your $10,000. Deal?
Forget it. He preemptively CSTU-ed it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m in the medical field on the frontline.  If you think everything you hear about COVID is accurate because what the media says..........

If you saw the raw numbers of individuals that actually expired (still not a good thing) from COVID and JUST COVID, you’d be shocked.  That’s why politics are the devil and it’s a shame.  I gave my  :2cents:  and I’m out  :thumbup:
If I can ask, what type of frontline worker?

That was around the time Biden said he didn't want his kids growing up in a racial jungle.  Also these quotes.

“Well, I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump, then you ain’t black.”

“In Delaware, the largest growth in population is Indian-Americans moving from India. You cannot go to a 7-Eleven or a Dunkin’ Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent.”

"Poor kids are just as bright as white kids"

Oh yeah, authored the worst crime bill for blacks ever.
LOL, classic take a couple of quotes to paint the other side but close a blind eye to the actual racist.  You can't deny being sued for violations of fair housing act by the DOJ and then settling those claims for millions.  You can't ignore his actions related to the central park jogging case where he still claims those wrongly convicted as guilty.  Those are outright racists acts.  Tie that to years of cultivating that support.  He is a racist and there is no doubt.  

People not understanding what a coyote is and thinking Trump actually meant the dog like animal dragging kids across the border is amazing.

ETA: Then there are also takes like this one which are even dumber.

Imagine calling the immigrant parents that bring their children to the United States for a better life “Coyotes” The level of xenophobia is sickening.

He’s saying one of two things:

1. Covid deaths occurred mostly in people with comorbidities.

2. Any death while infected with covid is classified as death by covid.

One of those points is 100% accurate (and true for just about every major cause of death btw), while the other is a talking point to minimize covid’s impact. When I read his post, it sounded like he was alluding to #2.

People not understanding what a coyote is and thinking Trump actually meant the dog like animal dragging kids across the border is amazing.
I think it’s a local term that has only been brought into the mainstream recently. TBH, I don’t recall exactly what it is, but know it is slang for something to do with illegal immigrants.

There's no media bias here, it's the CDC saying 300k excess deaths, with about 3/4 being attributed to covid. I simply asked if it's not from covid what is the supposed silent/unspoken cause of those excess deaths. 
There’s no plausible explanation, other than denial.

I think it’s a local term that has only been brought into the mainstream recently. TBH, I don’t recall exactly what it is, but know it is slang for something to do with illegal immigrants.
From 1987: https://www.amazon.com/Coyotes-Journey-Borders-Americas-Illegal/dp/0394755189

That's an excellent book by the way, even if it's dated.

Edit: Ted Conover has written several engaging books, and I always like to stick in a plug for his work whenever I get the chance.  I wish more people did stuff like this.

@CSTU was an infamous poster who made a bunch of pro-Hillary bets with people in 2016 at similarly-high odds, then backed out after she lost.
Am I correct that no bettor would get excited about 1 to 10 odds? It seems so inconsequential that it makes me wonder if the initial 10 to 1 was accurate, then the poster rethought their stance and reframed the offer to make it sound like a misunderstanding.

Am I correct that no bettor would get excited about 1 to 10 odds? It seems so inconsequential that it makes me wonder if the initial 10 to 1 was accurate, then the poster rethought their stance and reframed the offer to make it sound like a misunderstanding.
If you have some free time the whole sequence of events was an entertaining read. Especially after the fact. That thread had more twists and turns than a David Lynch piece.

GOP pollster says Trump won the final debate but Biden ‘won the war’

GOP pollster Frank Luntz told CNBC that President Trump does not have enough time to catch the former vice president.

Luntz said that even if the polls are wrong, as they were in 2016 when Trump pulled off an upset victory, it’s “virtually impossible” for the president to win.

Luntz said American voters largely prefer Biden’s positive approach over Trump’s forceful but negative tone.

So - if Trump does once again pull off the upset - will the tears taste even sweeter to his followers?  Will his detractors finally fulfill their pledge to leave the country?  Will they increase the scale of mostly peaceful protests as Kamala Harris promised - they won't stop, she promised it.  Enquiring minds want to know.

I think the bigger and more likely question is if and when Trump loses will he have to be physically dragged out of the White House?

I wouldn't take offense to that if I was a Biden supporter.  Similarly I don't take offense when someone calls Trump Orange man bad.   :shrug: I have seen Trump called far worse on here.  He is called a racist all the time yet I don't see folks getting called out for that.  It doesn't make any sense.
One is a handicap and the other is offensive actions and statements. 

LOL, classic take a couple of quotes to paint the other side but close a blind eye to the actual racist.  You can't deny being sued for violations of fair housing act by the DOJ and then settling those claims for millions.  You can't ignore his actions related to the central park jogging case where he still claims those wrongly convicted as guilty.  Those are outright racists acts.  Tie that to years of cultivating that support.  He is a racist and there is no doubt.  
Yes it appears you did do that.

So - if Trump does once again pull off the upset - will the tears taste even sweeter to his followers?  Will his detractors finally fulfill their pledge to leave the country?  Will they increase the scale of mostly peaceful protests as Kamala Harris promised - they won't stop, she promised it.  Enquiring minds want to know.
inquiring.  and it will be a terrifying 2 years until he resigns and Pence takes over.

He’s saying one of two things:

1. Covid deaths occurred mostly in people with comorbidities.

2. Any death while infected with covid is classified as death by covid.

One of those points is 100% accurate (and true for just about every major cause of death btw), while the other is a talking point to minimize covid’s impact. When I read his post, it sounded like he was alluding to #2.
I assume you saw my follow up?  Whether you give him the benefit of the doubt (option #1) or assume he is repeating a talking point (#2) neither version is adding anything productive to the discussion.  And even being 100% accurate it is still seems like a purposefully misleading statement.  

I assume you saw my follow up?  Whether you give him the benefit of the doubt (option #1) or assume he is repeating a talking point (#2) neither version is adding anything productive to the discussion.  And even being 100% accurate it is still seems like a purposefully misleading statement.  
Agreed. I’m more interested in his healthcare background, as the sentiment isn’t common among anyone I know who works directly with covid patients.

Isnt the cause of death always lack of blood to the brain? Everything else is secondary.
Yes, but listing “brain death” or “cardiopulmonary arrest” on death certificates is discouraged. Although the methodology is imperfect, the cause of death is supposed to be a discrete diagnosis which ultimately led to the heart and brain shutting down. Secondary diagnoses which contributed to the primary diagnosis are also included.

As the death certificate is typically completed by the patient’s physician without the benefit of an autopsy, and sometimes with only cursory chart review, there’s nearly always some discretion in how the primary cause of death is determined.

Yes, but listing “brain death” or “cardiopulmonary arrest” on death certificates is discouraged. Although the methodology is imperfect, the cause of death is supposed to be a discrete diagnosis which ultimately led to the heart and brain shutting down. Secondary diagnoses which contributed to the primary diagnosis are also included.

As the death certificate is typically completed by the patient’s physician without the benefit of an autopsy, and sometimes with only cursory chart review, there’s nearly always some discretion in how the primary cause of death is determined.
I was half kidding, but thanks for the detailed response.  And thanks for the great effort that you give in the COVID threads.  It is appreciated.

It's not acceptable to make jokes about a speech impediment.
OK thanks.  I guess I didn't realize it was universally considered that Biden has a speech impediment.  
"Universally considered" is a strange choice of phrase here.

Joe Biden was diagnosed with a stuttering disorder when he was a child. He overcame it through various therapies, but it still occasionally pops up in his speech, as it does with almost every former stutterer.

Biden regularly keeps in touch with several kids who have also been diagnosed with a stutter, giving them tips and encouragement. One of those kids gave a courageous and moving speech on Joe's behalf at the 2020 Democratic convention.

"Universally considered" is a strange choice of phrase here.

Joe Biden was diagnosed with a stuttering disorder when he was a child. He overcame it through various therapies, but it still occasionally pops up in his speech, as it does with almost every former stutterer.

Biden regularly keeps in touch with several kids who have also been diagnosed with a stutter, giving them tips and encouragement. One of those kids gave a courageous and moving speech on Joe's behalf at the 2020 Democratic convention.
I actually didn't know he had a speech impediment. Learning new stuff every day.

Not that any of this will really impact the voting, but 538 and IPSOS surveyed to see who won the debate. 

51.8% of people felt Trump had a good performance and 42.8% felt he was good on policies. 

68.7% of people get Biden had a good performance and 60.2% felt he was good on policies. 

It was pretty severe....you didn't see the story about him and the kids he's reached out to in order to help them over the years?
No, I had never heard of that, but it's cool to hear that he's trying to help those kids out, because a stutter can be really embarrassing for a kid. There's no reason someone should be made fun of for a speech impediment.

Users who are viewing this thread