What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Painting question (maybe a dumb one) (1 Viewer)

Tool

Footballguy
So i need to replace my front door to my condo.  Guy wants to charge me $400 additional to paint the door, says 3 coats on each side.  This seems excessive and don't really mind doing it myself but have minimal painting experience, if I do it will it look off/ inconsistent with my neighbors, or will no one be able to notice?

I would just do it myself for probably less than $50 and call it a day

What kind of door are we talking about exactly?

isn’t the condo door the condo’s responsibility or is part of the unit?  either way, 1 coat primer and 1 coat semi gloss or gloss should suffice.  inside and outside the same color?

isn’t the condo door the condo’s responsibility or is part of the unit?  either way, 1 coat primer and 1 coat semi gloss or gloss should suffice.  inside and outside the same color?
No unfortunately it’s unit owner responsibility. Guy replacing door says needs 3 coats each side. Different color for inside and outside.

No unfortunately it’s unit owner responsibility. Guy replacing door says needs 3 coats each side. Different color for inside and outside.
Pay the $400. If you need two different colors and do this yourself, you are going to need:

1 quart paint for the outside: $25 (because you are buying good paint)

1 quart paint for the inside: $25

Plastic for drop cloth: $10

Purdy paint brush: $20

30 pack of beer: $25

So if you do it yourself, you are in for $105 in materials.

You'll end up drunk and screw it up. Buy the beer, sit back and watch someone be your minion. 

Pay the $400. If you need two different colors and do this yourself, you are going to need:

You'll end up drunk and screw it up. Buy the beer, sit back and watch someone be your minion. 
Not sure I'd take advice from a guy who buys fancy paint and drinks cheap beer.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Should quite simple to paint a wood door, I would imagine.  

No way I'm paying 400 for that
How much is the damn door? Gotta be less than the paint job, right? Or close to it.

No way I'd pay that but then I don't mind painting stuff. I know people that would pay it because they are too lazy or incapable.

How do you screw up painting a door excuse maker?

I painted my door this summer. I used a half dozen of those cheap foam brushes because I didn't want brush marks on the door. I've seen a couple doors with excessive brush marks, yuck. It did take three coats. It was a metal exterior door. I spread it out over the weekend so the wife would think I really worked hard on it. It was much easier than I thought. 

When the Association fines you $100 for having the wrong color door, you'll figure out pretty quickly that you should have paid someone.

Tint the primer with some of the finish color and you might get away with one coat primer/one coat finish. The darker/bolder the finish coat the more likely you’ll need two finish coats. Do it yourself regardless, painting is an easy way to feel good about yourself for getting something done - instant gratification. 

How much is the damn door? Gotta be less than the paint job, right? Or close to it.

No way I'd pay that but then I don't mind painting stuff. I know people that would pay it because they are too lazy or incapable.
The door itself is about $400 as well. And the labor even without the painting is quite expensive. Long story but my old door had an archaic hinge and lock system, so he's got to do a good amount of work to re-do the set up.

Youtube.  Do it yourself.  It's not rocket surgery. 

So i need to replace my front door to my condo.  Guy wants to charge me $400 additional to paint the door, says 3 coats on each side.  This seems excessive and don't really mind doing it myself but have minimal painting experience, if I do it will it look off/ inconsistent with my neighbors, or will no one be able to notice?

He just doesn't want to do it so he quoted a price he knows you'll turn down (or you'll pay him too much for his time).  You'll be fine. 
It's really not that unreasonable.  The guy will have three trips unless he sits around there all day waiting for it to dry between coats.  Depending on the condition of the old paint, he may have to pull the door and strip/sand off the old paint.  That's a major pain if it has detail work.  Going rate on painting is $50 an hour these days.

It's really not that unreasonable.  The guy will have three trips unless he sits around there all day waiting for it to dry between coats.  Depending on the condition of the old paint, he may have to pull the door and strip/sand off the old paint.  That's a major pain if it has detail work.  Going rate on painting is $50 an hour these days.
It's a new door, he's supplying it.

I'd tell him "thank you, but that is too expensive for painting a door. I'd rather find someone who can hang and paint at a reasonable price so I'll be going elsewhere for this"

$10 says he drops the quote.

Pay it and get it done. Your time is money. Why waste 100-200 bucks of your time to find someone to do it 100-200 cheaper? If you do it yourself- the amount of time you put into it in total sweat equity (unhinging the door, the elaborate set up you said it has, getting the paint and paint supplies; the mess you will make painting a door for the first time; doing several coats, rehanging the door, and clean up). Even if you valued your time at $20-25 an hour and add in cost of supplies- it will cost you more for inferior results. 

Pay it and get it done. Your time is money. Why waste 100-200 bucks of your time to find someone to do it 100-200 cheaper? If you do it yourself- the amount of time you put into it in total sweat equity (unhinging the door, the elaborate set up you said it has, getting the paint and paint supplies; the mess you will make painting a door for the first time; doing several coats, rehanging the door, and clean up). Even if you valued your time at $20-25 an hour and add in cost of supplies- it will cost you more for inferior results. 
Fair point. A little bit of a pain but don’t really mind doing it and I’m working from home anyway.

Is the door pre primed? 

Also what side of house?

What colors? 
Not sure about door being pre primed, i will have to ask.

It's a condo, the building has many units so this is the entry door to my unit

Front is a brown, this is the association color that I have to use and inside is white.

jvdesigns2002 said:
why we unhinging/rehanging?

Not sure about door being pre primed, i will have to ask.

It's a condo, the building has many units so this is the entry door to my unit

Front is a brown, this is the association color that I have to use and inside is white.
If it is a pre primed door 3 coats is overkill. If it is bare wood one coat of primer two coats of paint is fine. 

i really need to know more about the door installation labor.  are we talking just removing the existing from the hinges and screwing in the new door to the hinges or we talking new frame around the door (so header and jams and thus casing as well)?  Considering what he's charging just to paint, i'm a little worried it might be the former.

i really need to know more about the door installation labor.  are we talking just removing the existing from the hinges and screwing in the new door to the hinges or we talking new frame around the door (so header and jams and thus casing as well)?  Considering what he's charging just to paint, i'm a little worried it might be the former.
There is an archaic lock system, so it sounds like he is probably taking out the whole door and jamb, and probably installing a pre-hung door. He will then have to probably redo the trim.

Not a small job to be honest. A guy could be there 6 hours just for that. 

There is an archaic lock system, so it sounds like he is probably taking out the whole door and jamb, and probably installing a pre-hung door. He will then have to probably redo the trim.

yeah.   that quote is reasonable.   you need to get that right so it closes probably.   i'd never pay that though b/c unlike you big ballas, my time isn't money.  i have plenty of time and a love for home improvement.   

why we unhinging/rehanging?
He said something about the old lock system being complex and archaic.  Just assuming that if he’s getting a new door that it’s most likely going to have a different and more updated locking system which will likely result in doing some mods to the door jams and hinges. Besides that, while I know some people will paint doors while they are hung, in my experience in every renovation that I’ve done in my house and rental properties- the best results for painting a door have been when it has been removed and prepped and painted on stands/sawhorses. 

This is correct.

He said something about the old lock system being complex and archaic.  Just assuming that if he’s getting a new door that it’s most likely going to have a different and more updated locking system which will likely result in doing some mods to the door jams and hinges. Besides that, while I know some people will paint doors while they are hung, in my experience in every renovation that I’ve done in my house and rental properties- the best results for painting a door have been when it has been removed and prepped and painted on stands/sawhorses. 
Well yeah, my home improvement skills are fairly minimal so I will not be taking off the door and would be painting with the door hung.  You think there will be noticeable difference in appearance?

Well yeah, my home improvement skills are fairly minimal so I will not be taking off the door and would be painting with the door hung.  You think there will be noticeable difference in appearance?
There's no real way to answer that with any sort of confidence.  Maybe you'll be naturally good at it--or maybe you won't be good at painting and will have issues with paint dripping..etc.   I will say this-- I 100% do think there will be a noticeable difference in appearance and quality between having a professional paint the door while isolated before install versus having an inexperienced amateur painting it while it's hung.   I want to make clear that I'm not saying this because I doubt you or your capabilities by the way--I just think it's just a reality that experience generally plays a huge part in being really good at something.  

But the door hasn't been installed yet.  He can just paint it first. 

A new door with zero prep necessary (maybe a quick 20 grit sand by hand to rough it up a little if it is super-smooth?) is a breeze to paint while hung. If you have the chance you might slap some primer on the bottom edge before he hangs it but if its hung leaving it there is fine. Don't overthink this.

Meh, the more I hear about this scenario the more I'm leaning toward changing my answer and just saying pay the man. The door install is a pain in the ### unless you know what you are doing and any home improvement Rambo in here that tells you different is lying. He's giving you a decent price on the install and the paint is his way of making some scrilla on the deal.

Couple that with what I'm sensing is your reluctance to paint the door and $400 bucks is reasonable price to pay. Enjoy your day and your new door with a clear conscience  :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread