What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Kyle Pitts, ATL (2 Viewers)

So.................I have 1.01, 1.02 and 1.05 in a .5 PPR Dynasty 1 QB league. I will take Harris at 1.01. But, I was going to take Chase at 1.02 and hope Pitts falls to me at 1.05. My son says, "take Harris at 1.01, Pitts at 1.02 and whatever RB falls to you at 1.05". What are your thoughts Board??

Last edited by a moderator:
Echo the above. I believe it's equally likely that any of Harris/Etienne/JWilliams have the best career of the trio. Chase and Pitts stand alone at the top of their positional groups, and both profile as premium assets. Grab the both of them, and the remaining RB at 1.05. You've pretty much gutted the Draft at that point, no matter what anyone else does. Great position to be in. I envy you. Good luck!

So.................I have 1.01, 1.02 and 1.05 in a .5 PPR Dynasty 1 QB league. I will take Harris at 1.01. But, I was going to take Chase at 1.02 and hope Pitts falls to me at 1.05. My son says, "take Pitts at 1.02 and whatever RB falls to you at 1.05". What are your thoughts Board??
Smart kid.

So.................I have 1.01, 1.02 and 1.05 in a .5 PPR Dynasty 1 QB league. I will take Harris at 1.01. But, I was going to take Chase at 1.02 and hope Pitts falls to me at 1.05. My son says, "take Harris at 1.01, Pitts at 1.02 and whatever RB falls to you at 1.05". What are your thoughts Board??
I say do your due diligence in creating a combined draft board based on your views and take the guy at the top of the board for each of your picks.  

Now there is some leeway to try and "game" the system since you have so many picks but that only comes into play if you have a few guys so close you really don't place above the others.

Figure out if the guy at 3 wants to trade up to #1 for Harris.  You dont need to ask for much since you probably wouldn't get Harris anyway if you take Chase and Pitts at 1 and 2.  

Then take Chase and Pitts at 2 and 3, then the next best RB at 5.  

Now, if you REALLY want Harris, there is no shame at taking Harris and Chase at 1 and 2 then see what happens.

In a 0.5 PPR with no TE bonus, Pitts is not as clear cut top 3 as in those other leagues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you one and all!! Your collective wisdom has changed my thinking 100% around.

As of now..... Based on your comments, I am going 1.01=Pitts, 1.02= Chase and 1.05=best RB available. I was not leaning this way at all, but will now wait until our draft in August and see if this thinking is still the best option. Guess this is why we use these Forums and I sure appreciate your input!! I am still open to your wisdom and further comments. Thank you.

Where's this guy being taken in redrafts? The TE position is such trash anyway, might as well trot this guy out if I can get him late enough. Maybe I reach, maybe I don't.

Thank you one and all!! Your collective wisdom has changed my thinking 100% around.

As of now..... Based on your comments, I am going 1.01=Pitts, 1.02= Chase and 1.05=best RB available. I was not leaning this way at all, but will now wait until our draft in August and see if this thinking is still the best option. Guess this is why we use these Forums and I sure appreciate your input!! I am still open to your wisdom and further comments. Thank you.
It has been mentioned by a few above me but... Harris, Pitts - 1&2.  You know 3 will take Chase... then you have a selection of ETN, Williams or Waddle but I think Waddle has potential to be the better WR in the draft. 

How big is his bump in value with Julio gone?  Clear top 2 now?  I'm assuming in TE Premium, he goes 1.01 no matter what format for receptions.

In Non-TE-Premium, how do you rank them?

PPR:

0.5 PPR:

No PPR:

How big is his bump in value with Julio gone?  Clear top 2 now?  I'm assuming in TE Premium, he goes 1.01 no matter what format for receptions.
Zero bump for me because I have assumed Julio was gone for awhile now.

Also while a different kind of TE I do recall Hayden Hurst actually doing better when Julio was healthy last year.

Julio had games he played 15 and 22 snaps and any other game he played he had at least 58 snaps. In total he had 7 games of more then 22 snaps(more then 58 as well) and 7 games with zero snaps. So just throwing out the two partial games:

Hurst in the 7 games Julio played 58 or more snaps:  31/360/3

Hurst in 7 games Julio did not play: 20/152/3 (almost all of this in last 3 weeks of the season)

I had Pitts as clear cut top two in TE premium already but I did pass on him at 1.1 and you won't see me argue with confidence I made the right call. It was an agonizing decision and I knew no matter what I chose I'd have some buyers remorse and from time to time I do, but not because of Julio.

Zero bump for me because I have assumed Julio was gone for awhile now.

Also while a different kind of TE I do recall Hayden Hurst actually doing better when Julio was healthy last year.

Julio had games he played 15 and 22 snaps and any other game he played he had at least 58 snaps. In total he had 7 games of more then 22 snaps(more then 58 as well) and 7 games with zero snaps. So just throwing out the two partial games:

Hurst in the 7 games Julio played 58 or more snaps:  31/360/3

Hurst in 7 games Julio did not play: 20/152/3 (almost all of this in last 3 weeks of the season)

I had Pitts as clear cut top two in TE premium already but I did pass on him at 1.1 and you won't see me argue with confidence I made the right call. It was an agonizing decision and I knew no matter what I chose I'd have some buyers remorse and from time to time I do, but not because of Julio.
Did you take Harris or Chase?

Did you take Harris or Chase?
I took Harris.

Harris IMO was an ideal fit for my team because I felt a RB put my team in contention mode and core of my team looks like a 1-3 year window.

What was not lost on me and what gives me second thoughts is not so much what Pitts can do now, which can be really good, but that in 4-5 years when Najee's career is likely winding down Pitts will be about the same age as the current top 3 TE's were when they caught their first passes in the NFL.

Damn man, typing that last sentence just gave me more buyers remorse.

Anyway I went for now, not later. Not saying Pitts can't deliver now.

In Non-TE-Premium, how do you rank them?

PPR:

0.5 PPR:

No PPR:
No PPR and half PPR, I am fully on board with Harris at 1.01. 

I have 1.01 in a PPR league, and I have at different times felt convinced I should take each of the top 3 there. I'm struggling with that and think there's a real argument for Pitts in PPR, even if not TE premium.

Well, this solidifies my draft.  Pitts > Chase for me now.  Only thing in his way is a reclass of position in fantasy formats 😂

Is everyone sold on the Julio trade raising Pitts' stock? I kind of think it doesn't. Without Julio every team is going to double Pitts. With Julio he would have had MUCH better matchups.

I'm 100% sold on this being good for Pitts. IMO, you only worry about coverage of the player is not really a top talent. 

Hartitz: 9 Fantasy Football Takeaways from the Falcons Trading Julio Jones to the Titans

Excerpt:

9. CONTINUE TO TREAT KYLE PITTS AS THE EXCEPTION TO THE RULE OF NOT DRAFTING ROOKIE TIGHT ENDS

PFF stated the following about Pitts in our 2021 NFL Draft Guide:

“I'm no fan of drafting a tight end early — they can be taken out of game plans too easily if they can't separate man coverage. The good news is that Pitts would still be a first-rounder if you just called him a wide receiver. He's already shown he can separate against high-level corners and averaged 4.91 yards per route vs. man coverage this year — third-highest of any player in the country and nearly two yards more than any other tight end. That's different. Pitts also took a considerable step forward as a run blocker this year, although that's still going to be an issue in the NFL.”

Pitts lined up in the slot or out wide on 42% of his snaps during his three-year career at Florida. As Florida head coach Dan Mullens said: “He’s an elite wide receiver and an elite tight end.” Pitts himself has stated that “no teams have mentioned” him playing wide receiver, although they’ve brought up using him all over the formation.

Pitts is closer to a modern-day receiver than yesterday’s tight end. Today’s brand of football has embraced the passing game and hybrid players more than ever before; any coach who can't find a way to get high-end production out of Pitts because he doesn’t fit into their “system” should be publicly chastised to no end. Don’t be surprised if his rookie year numbers more closely resemble the sort of receivers he’s being drafted next to as opposed to past first-year tight ends.

The only tight ends I’d draft ahead of Pitts: Travis Kelce, Darren Waller, George Kittle and T.J. Hockenson. That’s it.

What I learned from first day of Falcons minicamp practice

Excerpt:

Looks like Kyle Pitts has "it"

Most everyone believes the No. 4 overall NFL Draft pick will be awesome. That take won't be tested until we see Kyle Pitts play an extended stretch at the professional level, but it's clear watching him practice that he's a quality route runner. He glides effortlessly, covering tons of ground with ease while working in the pattern. He's also tall, long-armed and powerful, looking like someone created an ideal tight end in a lab.

While we won't know exactly how Coach Smith will use Pitts until the game tapes start piling up, he's certainly capable – I know from a tweet last week that you all love/hate that word, so expect it often – of lining up anywhere in the offensive formation. He could be an in-line tight end, someone positioned out wide or in the slot. Heck, put him in the backfield, let him catch a pass in the flat and watch him make people miss.

Media on hand Tuesday saw him catch some nice passes, including one right in stride that undoubtedly would've been a big gain in a real game. He also had a rookie moment. Pitts caught a beautiful deep ball from quarterback Matt Ryan and then failed to prevent veteran safety Erik Harris from smacking it out of his hand.

Let's not make any bold predictions about how Pitts will fare this season after watching a practice in early June. It is, however, crystal clear he has great physical skills and a natural ability to get open. That, my friends, is a good place to start.

Figure out if the guy at 3 wants to trade up to #1 for Harris.  You dont need to ask for much since you probably wouldn't get Harris anyway if you take Chase and Pitts at 1 and 2.  

Then take Chase and Pitts at 2 and 3, then the next best RB at 5.  

Now, if you REALLY want Harris, there is no shame at taking Harris and Chase at 1 and 2 then see what happens.

In a 0.5 PPR with no TE bonus, Pitts is not as clear cut top 3 as in those other leagues.
Good advice but it could back-fire if the guy pivots on the 1.01... one of the things I would do is look at the rosters of the teams with the 1.03 and 1.04 and adjust accordingly.  For example, teams almost always need a RB and they could have solid options at TE... in that type of scenario, I might gamble with Harris, Chase, and BPA (maybe Pitts) at 1.05.  

If I didn't feel like taking the risk, I'd be delighted with Chase, Pitts, best RB at 5.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution's D. Orlando Ledbetter reports the Falcons are "force feeding" rookie TE Kyle Pitts at the team's minicamp.

With Julio Jones traded away to Tennessee, Atlanta head coach Arthur Smith and the team's coaching staff is reportedly peppering the No. 4 overall draft pick with passes during mandatory minicamp. That might not come as a shock considering Calvin Ridley is sidelined after undergoing foot surgery. The Athletic's Jeff Schultz reported this week that "Pitts didn’t look like a tight end" during Atlanta's practices. "He looked like a new car that Smith wanted to take for a test ride," Schultz said, adding Matt Ryan threw to Pitts more than any other pass catcher during team drills. The Falcons now have 213 targets vacated from last season, the fourth most in the NFL. Pitts clearly has a path to monster target volume if the team uses him more as a receiver than a traditional tight end.

SOURCE: Orlando Ledbetter on Twitter 

Jun 11, 2021, 9:00 AM ET

If he's the A+ version of Jared Cook, we might see some gaudy production at some point. I think he's floor is like 8 Touchdowns and I know that sounds crazy, but that's the expectation and expectations are sometimes easily furnished to reality when the parties are willing.

From a fantasy perspective, has there ever been a WR and a TE both finish number one in both of their respective positions? Randy Moss and Gronk? I can't think of anyone else offhand. Can Ridley and Pitts? Can they realistically both be at least top 3?

From a fantasy perspective, has there ever been a WR and a TE both finish number one in both of their respective positions? Randy Moss and Gronk? I can't think of anyone else offhand. Can Ridley and Pitts? Can they realistically both be at least top 3?
Mike Ditka and Mike Ditka.

I'll see myself out.

Top 3 WR & TE on same team (since 1988)

2020 KC WR2 Tyreek Hill + TE1 Travis Kelce
2018 KC WR3 Tyreek Hill + TE1 Travis Kelce
2013 CLE WR1 Josh Gordon + TE3 Jordan Cameron
2013 DEN WR3 Demaryius Thomas + TE2 Julius Thomas
2011 NE WR2 Wes Welker + TE1 Rob Gronkowski + TE3 Aaron Hernandez
2007 DAL WR2 Terrell Owens + TE1 Jason Witten
2001 IND WR1 Marvin Harrison + TE2 Marcus Pollard
1994 SF WR1 Jerry Rice + TE3 Brent Jones
1990 SF WR1 Jerry Rice + TE2 Brent Jones

Great digging ZWK.  I was going to mention TO/Witten and Hill/Kelce as some obvious ones.  I would be shocked if Pitts/Ridley ever did it though.  Don't think they'll even ever hit the 1 and 2 that Hill and Kelce did.

This is great stuff ZWK! Well done. Didn’t realize this happened as often as it did. Not sure if Ridley/Pitts could do it but it’s nice to know that you don’t necessarily have to avoid drafting both of the situation arises in the right situation.

He just went ahead of Chase in one of my PPR leagues. I will be amazed if he outperforms Chase 
My rookie drafts were over a month ago and only two of them are PPR and not TE premium and he want ahead of Chase in 1 of the 2. Pitts seems to have gained a little steam since.

Chase is a great prospect but I'd just say that Pitts does not need to be better then or even as good as Chase to be the better pick between the two.

My rookie drafts were over a month ago and only two of them are PPR and not TE premium and he want ahead of Chase in 1 of the 2. Pitts seems to have gained a little steam since.

Chase is a great prospect but I'd just say that Pitts does not need to be better then or even as good as Chase to be the better pick between the two.
This. In PPR, if they both hit 200 pts, that would have made Chase a WR3 last year, and it would have made Pitts THE TE3 last year. If they have pretty close stats this year, then Pitts was the more valuable player due to positional scarcity. And I think they should see a similar amount of targets this year.

So can I trade this guy for 4x future 1sts yet?  Or do I need to wait a couple more weeks?
Yeah, probably. Hindery already has him as the overall #1 dynasty TE.

Last week I turned down Marshall, Pittman, Kmet and Trautman for my Pitts. And I love all 4 of those guys.

I also turned down Wentz, Mac Jones and H Henry for my Pitts and Big Ben in SF. 

Users who are viewing this thread