What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Kyle Pitts, ATL (2 Viewers)

Your point is valid but none of those guys were hyped this much.
Agreed...he is at another level at this point of his career...a physical specimen, a workout warrior, productive in college, zero character issues and also appears to have a full understanding of the game...he is as clean a prospect as you can have...gonna be real interesting to watch his career.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen hears that Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is "infatuated" with Florida TE Kyle Pitts.

No surprise that Jones is keen on Pitts -- a top-five prospect in this draft class -- but if the Cowboys owner is serious about snagging the monster tight end, it is probably going to require a trade up from the No. 10 pick. Just about every mock draft rolling out these days has Pitts heading to the Falcons, Bengals or Dolphins (owners of pick Nos. 4-6 respectively). Setting aside whether Dallas is going to trade up, there's the question of whether a tight end -- even one as generational as Pitts -- is really a priority for a team already absolutely loaded with offensive talent. In the latest mock draft from ESPN's Todd McShay has the Cowboys selecting South Carolina CB Jaycee Horn in the first round. 

SOURCE: 247Sports

Apr 8, 2021, 12:02 PM ET

Left shoulder angel keeps whispering to me "Yeah, but he's still just a TE."
Is the left one the good angel or the bad angel and who'se left, mine or yours? 

I've come around on Pitts. I was "TE isn't worth it" but now I think I have Pitts as a top 8 real NFL player in the draft. 

I'm black starring this thread pretty late in the game. For anyone averse to taking top TEs as rookies (like me), another play would be to take him at say 1.05/1.06 in FFPC or TE premium once the top backs are gone. Then if you really don't want to hold him he will probably be more tradable than anyone after him. 

But I'm coming around on this guy.

Is the left one the good angel or the bad angel and who'se left, mine or yours? 

I've come around on Pitts. I was "TE isn't worth it" but now I think I have Pitts as a top 8 real NFL player in the draft. 
Would you take him over Chase?

Why do I get the feeling taking him in the 1.05 - 1.12 range will dissapoint?  Am I the only one?  I have the 1.06 and 1.07 in a league that I'm tempted if he's there, but feel like I'd be better off getting baby Gronk in the early 2nd if possible.

He apparently can't block. Neither could Jimmy Graham, but he did extremely well with Brees.  Post Brees not so much.   

My earliest pick is 1.7. If he falls I will pick him. I have no expectations that will happen though.

Why do I get the feeling taking him in the 1.05 - 1.12 range will dissapoint?  Am I the only one?  I have the 1.06 and 1.07 in a league that I'm tempted if he's there, but feel like I'd be better off getting baby Gronk in the early 2nd if possible.

He apparently can't block. Neither could Jimmy Graham, but he did extremely well with Brees.  Post Brees not so much.   
He had made 2 Pro Bowls with Seattle and for his first 3 years there had a 900/6 16 game season pace. If Pitts has a Graham career, that will be a monster hit. 

PItts should trademark "Matchup Nightmare" since that's the only thing people can seem to say about him.

He IS, of course. But how 'bout some creativity?

Panthers' gamble on Sam Darnold makes sense; Kyle Pitts is the 2021 NFL draft's best player

KYLE PITTS: The best player in the entire draft class

The 2021 draft might feature an unprecedented run on quarterbacks at the top, but the best player in the class is tight end Kyle Pitts. The Florida standout is a gold-jacket talent with a combination of size (6-foot-6, 245 pounds), speed (unofficial 4.44-second 40-yard dash) and skill that should make him the top prospect on every draft board in the league.

Before you @ me advocating for Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson or another quarterback as the undisputed No. 1 prospect in the class, I would ask you to view Pitts as a truly rare talent on par with the likes of Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones and A.J. Green in their respective primes. Those three pass catchers were transcendent playmakers who ranked as immediate standard-bearers at the receiver position upon entry into the league. Despite facing marquee cornerbacks and double coverage, they were able to dominate the opposition, and their production reflected it.

That trio's instant success can be attributed to superior physical tools and refined skills. Johnson, Jones and Green dwarfed most defensive backs while also possessing the speed and burst to run past cover men on vertical routes. Also, they all displayed exceptional hand-eye coordination and ball skills to win 50-50 balls down the field, making it impossible to defend them on the island.

As I studied Pitts, I saw similar attributes in the 20-year-old pass catcher. He overwhelms defenders on the perimeter with his size, speed and athleticism. Pitts runs routes like a wide receiver, but he utilizes his NBA power forward-like frame to bully safeties and cornerbacks in space. He renders them helpless in one-on-one matchups, and defensive coordinators are forced to adopt radical tactics to slow him down, particularly in the red zone.

Considering the mismatches Pitts creates out wide and in the slot against second-level defenders (linebackers, safeties and cornerbacks), it is easy to see why creative offensive coordinators would covet his skills as an offensive weapon. Travis Kelce, Darren Waller and George Kittle have given opponents fits over the past few years with their unique talents, and we have seen others -- like Zach Ertz, Jordan Reed and Evan Engram -- earn Pro Bowl honors as jumbo wide receivers playing the "Y" position.

In a position that's rapidly changing due to the extraordinary skill sets of some hybrid pass catchers, it is easy to envision Pitts rewriting the job description as a game-changer with five-star talent and ability.

The Bengals can't take him.

After year three, when it comes time to exercise the 5th year option, Pitts' agent will have all the stats ready to prove that, actually, you know what, my guy is a WR. Then it's two years and maybe a franchise tag year of anger and misery.  

Just take the OT.  

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
Can he block? 
Can Davante Adams block?  It just doesn't matter because Pitts won't be used as a n inline TE.  He's essentially another WR on the field, so he doesn't need to have the blocking skills of a regular TE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can Devante Adams block?  It just doesn't matter because Pitts won't be used as a n inline TE.  He's essentially another WR on the field, so he doesn't need to have the blocking skills of a regular TE.
I don’t know who Devante Adams is. I was just curious because the Cowboys seem to have some interest. I prefer TEs who can block at least a little. 

Do you know Pitts personally? 

ETA-I do know who Devante Adams is. He’s the GB receiver. I assumed there was another TE named D.Adams because we were talk g about Pitts ability to block at the TE position. 

I don’t know who Devante Adams is. I was just curious because the Cowboys seem to have some interest. I prefer TEs who can block at least a little. 

Do you know Pitts personally? 

ETA-I do know who Devante Adams is. He’s the GB receiver. I assumed there was another TE named D.Adams because we were talk g about Pitts ability to block at the TE position. 
OK, I put an "e" instead of an "a" in his name.  Geesh.  Why did you ask if I knew Pitts personally?  That made no sense.  I thought what I said about how Pitts will be used, he's a TE playing WR, made perfect sense and his ability to block is low-priority. 

OK, I put an "e" instead of an "a" in his name.  Geesh.  Why did you ask if I knew Pitts personally?  That made no sense.  I thought what I said about how Pitts will be used, he's a TE playing WR, made perfect sense and his ability to block is low-priority. 
OK. I think we both need to take a step back. I didn’t even know you misspelled  his name or anything like that.

I honestly thought you were talking about a different tight end names Devante Adams that I wasn’t aware of. I don’t watch a lot of college football and I don’t pay that much attention to the NFL except for my Cowboys.

I asked if you knew him personally because the tone of your response seemed to be a little taken back on why I wanted to know if Pitts could block or if I was disparaging Pitts, which I wasn’t.

I shouldn’t have asked if he knew him personally because that was a smarmy response. I should’ve explained myself better.

Now back to the actual discussion, I don’t want or like pure receiving TEs. I want to guy who can at least do some blocking. He doesn’t have to be Jason Witten but I don’t want him to be a liability either. 

That’s the only reason I asked. 

Now back to the actual discussion, I don’t want or like pure receiving TEs. I want to guy who can at least do some blocking. He doesn’t have to be Jason Witten but I don’t want him to be a liability either. 

Nothing wrong with wanting a TE that can block, but I believe you have to take it into context of the type of player we're talking about with Pitts.  He is not a TE.  He is a TE used as a WR, so his blocking skills don't need to play as often.  That's the last thing I'm worried about when it comes to Pitts.

Draft profile: Florida TE Kyle Pitts

Excerpt:

Blocking

While his work as a pure catcher puts up the stats, what really popped on tape for me was his willingness and ability to block in the run game. Kyle Pitts was asked to both root out defensive linemen and also climb to the second level and deal with smaller, but more elusive defenders in linebackers and defensive backs. Regardless of the block asked of him, Pitts was incredibly technical. His ability to recognize and diagnose defensive flow within the blocking scheme makes him a great fit for a team that bases out of a zone run game.

Florida is running outside zone here against Kentucky. The goal is to seal the end and get outside. If the outside is taken away, the running back reads one hole inside until there’s an opening. When climbing to the second level on the perimeter where there’s flow from the defense, it can be very easy to be over eager and lose fundamentals. Pitts, however, maintains his base, is patient, and engages the defender downfield while keeping his eyes up with good leg drive.

(click on the link to see the video on his blocking skills)

The Bengals can't take him.

After year three, when it comes time to exercise the 5th year option, Pitts' agent will have all the stats ready to prove that, actually, you know what, my guy is a WR. Then it's two years and maybe a franchise tag year of anger and misery.  

Just take the OT.  
So, you think in a few years MFL will be designating him as a WR?

I just heard on radio the Falcon beat writer making a strong case for Sewell over Pitts. It's a position of need, the running game was very bad in 2020, and Ryan has been sacked too much. He might play guard in yr1, then go to LT in yr2.

Andy Dufresne said:
Left shoulder angel keeps whispering to me "Yeah, but he's still just a TE."
Right shoulder angel today is saying to take him first overall. 

Now...my situation is different in the league where he's an option. I have the 1, 4, 6, 7, and 8.

If I take him at 1, then I am guaranteed to get one of Chase, Harris, or Etienne - all of which I like.

Plus, it raises the possibility that one of my league mates goes dumb and pushes another good guy to my 6 pick.

What is about FF that makes grown men act like children?  How do I use the ignore function here?  Someone PM me please.

Right shoulder angel today is saying to take him first overall. 

Now...my situation is different in the league where he's an option. I have the 1, 4, 6, 7, and 8.

If I take him at 1, then I am guaranteed to get one of Chase, Harris, or Etienne - all of which I like.

Plus, it raises the possibility that one of my league mates goes dumb and pushes another good guy to my 6 pick.
If I had the 1.1, I'm taking Chase first and every day all day. That's just me. I don't think Chase, Harris, and Etienne are equal, as of right now. I think Chase is in a class by himself. At about 6'.05" and everything else he has tested at and done and achieved at the college level, I can't find a flag on the guy. ETN and Harris both have them, Chase doesn't. Pitts has one merely because of his position. Pitts should be there at four. He's not the 1.1, in my estimation.

If I had the 1.1, I'm taking Chase first and every day all day. That's just me. I don't think Chase, Harris, and Etienne are equal, as of right now. I think Chase is in a class by himself. At about 6'.05" and everything else he has tested at and done and achieved at the college level, I can't find a flag on the guy. ETN and Harris both have them, Chase doesn't. Pitts has one merely because of his position. Pitts should be there at four. He's not the 1.1, in my estimation.
Chase isn’t 6’5”, he is 6’0”.

Edited, sorry, you said .05.  That went right past me.

The reason I put his height in there is because people were insisting that LSU adds an inch and a half to their receivers and that Chase would come in at around 5'11". That turned out to be wrong.

That isn't really the point. When you have multiple picks you can manipulate the draft depending on how you sequence your selections.

But that's not really relevant here, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread