What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Kyle Pitts, ATL (2 Viewers)

I agree that TEs with his upside aren't available often, but no way I would take him within the first 3 picks, and probably not within the first 6 picks.  People in these TE premium leagues also reached for Hockenson and Fant.  Pitts has more upside than both for sure, but Pitts will need to go to a team that can use him in creative ways with an outside-the-box thinker orchestrating the offense that allows his assets to shine.  If he goes to a team that doesn't utilize his talents fully, that is the reason why i wouldn't take him too early.  I believe there is a lot of risk with TEs, but that is just me.
This is where I am landing. At a real position of scarcity, it's very alluring to try to grab a TE with this kind of (at least perceived) rare upside. By the same token, there's a reason why the position is so scarce - not many rise to that level of relative upside. 

Net/net, I'd consider him after the top few RBs and WRs go. IMO there's just as much a fair chance that any of the second tier RBs turn out to be nothing and that the second tier WRs are JAGs at a typically deep position.  

Again, Pitts' landing spot is going to dictate a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is where I am landing. At a real position of scarcity, it's very alluring to try to grab a TE with this kind of (at least perceived) rare upside. By the same token, there's a reason why the position is so scarce - not many rise to that level of relative upside. 

Net/net, I'd consider him after the top few RBs and WRs go. IMO there's just as much a fair chance that any of the second tier RBs turn out to be nothing and that the second tier WRs are JAGs at a typically deep position.  

Again, Pitts' landing spot is going to dictate a lot.
PItts is the sexy pick right now.  As much as I love Pitts (took him in 2 devy drafts last year), the best move is take a long hard look at your team and not get caught up in this.

PItts is the sexy pick right now.  As much as I love Pitts (took him in 2 devy drafts last year), the best move is take a long hard look at your team and not get caught up in this.
Agreed.TE is a value sink. You are pretty much guaranteed to lose value on him. If you take him, you have to be totally willing to hold 2-3 years with the potential of not being able to play him during that period. 

Agreed.TE is a value sink. You are pretty much guaranteed to lose value on him. If you take him, you have to be totally willing to hold 2-3 years with the potential of not being able to play him during that period. 
And unless he he’s the next Kelce, Kittle, or Waller, his value may never be higher than today. 

And unless he he’s the next Kelce, Kittle, or Waller, his value may never be higher than today. 
Yep, it's hard road to go with these TEs. Hock who has basically hit every step that one wold expect from a very good TE prospect has lost value in Dynasty Start-Ups from where he was 2 years ago. 

I'm more likely to get one of the other 2 and it has little to do with Pitts being great (he probably will).

I'm more likely to get one of the other 2 and it has little to do with Pitts being great (he probably will).
Not much one can do if someone is willing to spend a top 5 pick on Pitts.  As much as I love him (I have in two devy leagues), I'm not going to do that in this draft, even in a 1.5 ppr for TEs.  I posted earlier why.

Not much one can do if someone is willing to spend a top 5 pick on Pitts.  As much as I love him (I have in two devy leagues), I'm not going to do that in this draft, even in a 1.5 ppr for TEs.  I posted earlier why.
I have zero issues if someone does it...fully understand what the downside is because it is easy to see but if Pitts is the real deal that can give your line-up a weapon that is far more difficult to find then anything else you are going to get in the draft...to me the key is what does your current roster look like...if you are in good shape with young studs/talent at RB and WR you are far better equipped to take that risk...if you aren't then it may not make sense to do it.

I posted this somewhere else, but anyway...

The #3 TE was outside the top 32 TE/WR rankings in PPR this year. So unless you think Pitts can be Kelce or Waller, then your taking a risk selecting him early.

The #3 TE was outside the top 32 TE/WR rankings in PPR this year. So unless you think Pitts can be Kelce or Waller, then your taking a risk selecting him early.
I am in a 2 pts per catch league for TE, the rest is standard Superflex.  I will be taking him at 1.02 with confidence.  

I think the only reason to have these conversations is if you think he is at that level, you have to be pretty convinced he will be elite to pass on high-end RBs and WRs...everything I have seen from him says he just might be worth it but it's still another thing making that pick...as stated above, I really believe the make-up of your team plays a big part of whether you can risk this.

I think the only reason to have these conversations is if you think he is at that level, you have to be pretty convinced he will be elite to pass on high-end RBs and WRs...everything I have seen from him says he just might be worth it but it's still another thing making that pick...as stated above, I really believe the make-up of your team plays a big part of whether you can risk this.
You are correct.  I have a very young team (burrows, Tua, Akers,dobbins, CD lamb).

my TE are ok (gesiski, hurst and goedart) but I don’t have a stud.  
I have 1.01 and 1.02.

I think this is overblown to some extent. This is generally true of guys who emerge as solid backend TEs like Kyle Rudolph. When talking about guys that end up being elite TEs, a massively overwhelming percentage (almost all of them) had a top 6 TE finish within their first 2 years.

I think this is overblown to some extent. This is generally true of guys who emerge as solid backend TEs like Kyle Rudolph. When talking about guys that end up being elite TEs, a massively overwhelming percentage (almost all of them) had a top 6 TE finish within their first 2 years.
Is there any connection in draft capital to becoming that kind of elite TE? 

My target with the 1.11 in one league (1TE). 

Have the 1.10 in a SF where TEs get 1.5 ppr and it'll be interesting to see where he goes in this format. 

My target with the 1.11 in one league (1TE). 

Have the 1.10 in a SF where TEs get 1.5 ppr and it'll be interesting to see where he goes in this format. 
You aren't getting Pitts at 1.11 or 1.10, regardless whether it's 1TE or 1.5 PPR for TE.  If you want him you will have to move up to 7 or 8 and there will be some managers that are so enamored with Pitts they will take him too high (top 6).

I haven't looked into that, though anecdotally 1st round TEs have done very poorly in recent history.
That's true, although that's also just looking at the stats. TEs are typically valued as much for their all around value (blocking) as much as pass catching ability. Not sure that helps lower the bust number, but few TEs ever wind up putting up Kelce/Gronk/Gonzalez/Kittle stats. 

That's true, although that's also just looking at the stats. TEs are typically valued as much for their all around value (blocking) as much as pass catching ability. Not sure that helps lower the bust number, but few TEs ever wind up putting up Kelce/Gronk/Gonzalez/Kittle stats. 
I agree though I don’t think blocking is what usually gets a TE pushed into the 1st. That’s almost always receiving first and blocking is a bonus.

I agree though I don’t think blocking is what usually gets a TE pushed into the 1st. That’s almost always receiving first and blocking is a bonus.
Point taken, although I am guessing the whole package would get them into the first round. If a system isn't all that TE pass friendly, a team probably won't reach in the first.

Bottom line though is that I think we all agree guys that have been drafted that early typically haven't been big time offensive producers, whether due to talent, situation, or some combination of the two.

Point taken, although I am guessing the whole package would get them into the first round. If a system isn't all that TE pass friendly, a team probably won't reach in the first.

Bottom line though is that I think we all agree guys that have been drafted that early typically haven't been big time offensive producers, whether due to talent, situation, or some combination of the two.
Agreed and it’s tough because sample size is so small for TEs with high draft capital. 

Agreed and it’s tough because sample size is so small for TEs with high draft capital. 
Indeed. I guess it's kind of a bit circular - few NFL offenses have likely planned to have the TE as the dominant pass catching option. And when they don't put up big stats because they aren't the key option, teams don't value them highly. Only once in a blue moon do the Kelces and Kittles emerge to be the guy. 

Most of the 1st round TEs recently weren't really very good blockers.  Hockenson was.  So was OJ Howard but he was supposed to be a great receiver as well.  Engram, NJoku, Ebron, Eifert, Gresham, V Davis offered very little as blockers.

I'm a gator fan so I have some Bias here, but Pitts isn't a traditional TE.  He is a Megatron like player who happens to position as TE.  Again, Trask is the type of QB that can throw someone open, but Pitts is a force onto himself.  

As a dolphin fan, I think that Chase, Smith, and Waddle fit the profile for what the phins need better than pitts, but if you have the right kind of OC, he is a matchup nightmare.

Per Pro Football Focus, Florida TE Kyle Pitts is the only TE in the 2021 draft class with at least 10 catches of 20 yards or more. 

Pitts is an explosive pass-catcher. That much is known. Per PFF, though, Pitts (6'6/240) truly is in a class of his own.  Pitts' 2020 season is one of just two seasons since 2014 in which a tight end brought in more than 10 receptions of over 20 yards. The only other player to do so was Oklahoma's Mark Andrews back in 2017. Andrews has been a good TE in the NFL, so perhaps this serves as yet another encouraging sign for Pitts' pro future. 

SOURCE: PFF College on Twitter

Feb 20, 2021, 1:22 PM ET

Per Pro Football Focus, Florida TE Kyle Pitts did not fumble a single time in his college career (100 receptions). 

It's difficult to take on 100 receptions and not fumble the ball even once. Even just by dumb luck, it's more likely than not that any player would cough up the ball at least once over that span. Not Pitts, though. In addition to his otherworldly explosive ability, Pitts did well to hold onto the ball while with the Gators. The fact that Pitts (6'6/240) could be the explosive threat he was while never putting the ball in danger is just a terrifying thought and it's no wonder he is set to get drafted in the top-10 a few months from now. 

SOURCE: PFF College on Twitter

Feb 23, 2021, 1:14 PM ET

Given the history of TE development and overall bust rate as far as fantasy goes and the fantasy production you eventually get compared to RB and WR, I think it is a mistake to take him early (within the first 6 picks), even in a TE premium league (as long as scoring isn't absurd for the position).  I'm not saying he will bust, or anything remotely like that, but I like the potential future fantasy value of someone like Rashod Bateman, Jaylen Waddle, Devonta Smith, or Javonte Williams more.
DeVonta Smith's size alone puts him in a historic bust rate right up there with TEs.  He's 170 pounds.  WRs that size do not become fantasy WR1 or WR2, and certinly not for more than a year or so at a time.  There's a reason everyone reading this is thinking Tyler Lockett right now, cause he's such an outlier.  

If they both hit, Pitts' owner has a distinct advantage.  

Considering the hit% of ANY player at 1.6, calling Pitts a risky pick doesn't sound right to me.  

I'm a gator fan so I have some Bias here, but Pitts isn't a traditional TE.  He is a Megatron like player who happens to position as TE. 
No bias and while I certainly won't go Megatron I do believe if he told the NFL he wanted to play WR my guess is he'd go in round one.  It's not a stretch at all to argue he'd rank as say the second best pro-typical X receiver in this draft, in a draft were a lot of the top guys are not that big he's the exception. Again I think if he was drafted and thought of as a WR he's someone that would be viewed along the lines of a  Mike Evans or slightly bigger Brandon Marshall type.

he's being projected to go top 10 according to more than a few popular mocks ive seen. 
Yes, believe it or not I did not just crawl out from under a rock. I'm talking about how he would be viewed if he told the NFL he did not want to play TE and I bring that up to try and highlight how good of a receiver he is and why he should not really be viewed in context of a TE.

Yes, believe it or not I did not just crawl out from under a rock. I'm talking about how he would be viewed if he told the NFL he did not want to play TE and I bring that up to try and highlight how good of a receiver he is and why he should not really be viewed in context of a TE.
:lol:  i wasnt trying to be a ####, i just maybe thought you hadn't seen mocks putting him that high/in the 1st

No bias and while I certainly won't go Megatron I do believe if he told the NFL he wanted to play WR my guess is he'd go in round one.  It's not a stretch at all to argue he'd rank as say the second best pro-typical X receiver in this draft, in a draft were a lot of the top guys are not that big he's the exception. Again I think if he was drafted and thought of as a WR he's someone that would be viewed along the lines of a  Mike Evans or slightly bigger Brandon Marshall type.
Waller has something in common here too I think. He was drafted as a WR but I read at the time he would play TE for certain teams if they drafted him. There was also rumblings of Claypool playing TE prior to draft. But that never happened last season in Pittsburgh. It will be interesting to see if he compare to Claypool and Waller in terms of measurable over at player profile. 

god... the more i watch him the more i think i have to take him at 1.03 in my 1ppr/1.5ppr TE dynasty league

Why Kyle Pitts makes so much sense for the Eagles

Kyle Pitts makes sense in so many ways that he has to be included in any conversation about what the Eagles might do at No. 6.

He’s a tight end, and the Eagles are likely about to lose the best tight end in franchise history. He’s a big-time weapon, and the Eagles desperately need weapons. And he played at Florida under offensive coordinator Brian Johnson, who happens to be Nick Sirianni’s quarterbacks coach.

Pitts, a suburban Philly native, is one of the top tight end prospects in recent years, a 6-foot-6, 250-pound playmaking hybrid who projects as a top-10 pick in April.

If you’re thinking No. 6 is too high to take a tight end in the draft, don’t think of Pitts as a conventional tight end. He averaged 17.9 yards per catch this past year, 3rd-highest in the BCS among all players with at least 40 catches and highest by any BCS tight end since Ladarius Green of Louisiana averaged 18.0 in 2010.

Green went on to become a 4th-round pick of the Chargers (where he played under Eagles offensive coordinator Shane Steichen).

Pitts is a mismatch nightmare. He can line up anywhere and is too fast for most linebackers to cover and too big for most corners. He's not considered an elite blocker but he's not bad.

NFL.com’s Daniel Jeremiah, a one-time Eagles scout, has Pitts ranked as the 3rd-best player in the draft and wrote in his scouting report: “Pitts is a unique talent with the ability to take over a game,” adding, “He runs routes like a wideout” and “he beat upper-echelon SEC cornerbacks on a regular basis.”

Pitts finished 10th in the Heisman Trophy voting this year, making him the first tight end in the top 10 since Ken MacAfee of Notre Dame in 1977. McAfee went on to become a top-10 pick of the 49ers in 1978 but only played two seasons in the NFL, catching 46 passes.

Since McAfee, seven more tight ends have been drafted in the top-10. Kellen Winslow and Vernon Davis were both selected at No. 6.

The only tight ends the Eagles have taken in the 1st round are Charle Young No. 6 in 1973 and Keith Jackson No. 13 in 1988. Young made three Pro Bowls and Jackson five.

There are lots of intriguing options at No. 6, including a couple elite receivers, some promising quarterbacks, a potential star corner and franchise offensive tackle.

But if the Eagles decide to move forward with Jalen Hurts, Pitts could provide him with a generational playmaking talent and give Sirianni an explosive, versatile offensive force as he begins his Eagles coaching career.

The Eagles do have Dallas Goedert coming back, but his contract is up after the 2021 season.

Pitts first caught the Florida coaches’ eyes in the fall of 2018, his true freshman year out of Archbishop Wood in Warminster — the same high school that produced Villanova’s Collin Gillespie.

Pitts was playing wide receiver back then, backing up Van Jefferson, who wound up becoming the Rams’ 2nd-round pick last year.

“He was a guy with just so much talent we had to get him on the field,” Johnson told reporters covering Florida in September. “He was a guy that as a young player, as a freshman, he played behind Van and really got a chance to learn from him. And we put him in the game, he made some plays, he continued to develop and grow and now he’s in a position where he’s one of the best players in America. …

“He did no good sitting next to us on the sideline. We found a way to get him in there and help kind of accelerate his development. … We played him a little bit more outside because he had so much talent, a huge catch radius, he’s fast getting out of breaks, and then he kind of grew into what we saw in terms of him being an elite tight end.”

There's one more reason Pitts makes sense for the Eagles.

He went to Florida. Guess where Howie Roseman went to college.

Is Kyle Pitts the Next Calvin Johnson?

Greatness.  

It is a word that is reserved for a select few. It was a word used to describe the man known as “Megatron.” The man, the myth, the legend ... none other than former Detroit Lions receiver Calvin Johnson, who will be enshrined in Canton this summer.  

At first suggestion, to even think there could be “the next Megatron” out there seemed preposterous to me. Well, that is until I turned on the game film of a young man named Kyle Pitts.  

Pitts is a tight end by trade, and quite honestly, I have not seen anyone as exciting at the position since another tight end captured my imagination from the University of Florida, Aaron Hernandez. 

The first time I saw Hernandez play I thought to myself, “Hall of Fame.” He was like a wide receiver playing in a tight end's body. He would have been a top-10 pick, had it not been for his myriad of off-the-field issues. 

Pitts does not carry the same baggage that will cause him to drop like Hernandez did. Pitts is a surefire top-10 pick. 

For my money, Pitts is the most sure thing I have seen in this year’s draft class to date. He excites me. I see some Shannon Sharpe in him, and I also see some Randy Moss in him, with how he plays the jump ball. 

Time and time again, Pitts showed how he can set up defenders, time his jumps and use his big ‘ole frame to out-jump defenders and high point the ball just at the right time, like an NBA player does midair while catching a pass and then dunking the basketball. 

Folks, greatness is not manufactured, and it is not taught. It is a thing of beauty that is to be admired and appreciated while it lasts. It is the thing we pack theaters and stadiums to behold. 

Please welcome Kyle Pitts to the National Football League. 

If I am Detroit, I would turn in the card at No. 7 with his name on it, like I was hitting a game-show buzzer. 

Pitts will be a nightmare for NFL defenses. At Florida against the highest levels of competition, he looked like a man amongst boys -- which is another hint at the kind of greatness I am talking about. 

This 2020 John Mackey Award winner finished 10th in the Heisman Trophy Award voting, as well, which is the highest any tight end has finished in 43 years. 

Pitts dropped only four passes in 2019, and according to Pro Football Focus, he was the only player in 2020 targeted over 65 times without a drop. 

Guys like this are fun to watch and easy to write up. I can feel the excitement within me as I type the words, and Pitts will do the same thing to you, too, every time Detroit’s offense takes the field -- if the Lions draft him. 

I can not even imagine him and T.J. Hockenson in the same offensive sets and the problems that it'll cause opposing defenses. It conjures up memories of Rob Gronkowski and Hernandez playing together in New England.  

TE Kyle Pitts, Florida - 6-foot-6, 246 pounds; 4.45 (40-yard dash time) 

Grade: A+ (Blue-chip player and elite) 

Kelly’s draft board: First round (top 10)  

Scouting Report

Elite receiving ability in a tight end's body. Tall, lanky and athletic-looking frame with long arms. Tough. Excellent receiving techniques. Very polished and smooth-looking. Long, easy strider with a lot of football speed. He has a knack for route-running, and shows a very good understanding of routes. Knack for finding soft spots in coverages. Lethal ability to run quick inside-out routes, plant his foot and gain positioning. Dominates the middle of the field at the intermediate-to-deep levels. Home-run hitter who can run away from a defense and also get behind it. Can pick up yards after the catch. Has an uncanny ability to sell and set up defenders, and he creates tremendous mismatches for defenders in man and double coverages. Can look like he is toying with smaller and less agile defenders. Uses frame very well to create leverage and an advantage. 

Great instincts and ball skills. Has this “natural feel for things.” Shows consistent ability to adjust to balls and tremendous ability to jump just at the right time and use his height advantage to high-point passes to make grabs. Sure-handed. Demonstrative. Makes big plays, and lets everyone know about it. Shows tremendous confidence in hands and abilities. Big-play tight end whose production steadily increased all three years at Florida. He put up 17.9 yards per reception and 12 TDs in 2020. 

Tremendous upside. Not much of a blocker, but gives effort. Surefire, Pro Bowl-caliber player and very possibly a Hall of Fame talent. A once-in-a-generation-type player.  

Need I say more? Send the card in, and get ready for the playoffs with Pitts on your team. 

Sitting on 1.04 in 1.5 PPR TE dynasty and I'm staritng to lock in on Pitts. In no particular order my top 3 are Najee Harris, Ja'Marr Chase, and Javonte Williams.

Situation will change eveything.

Users who are viewing this thread