What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Kyle Pitts, ATL (1 Viewer)

NFL draft 2021 mailbag: Mel Kiper answers 15 questions on quarterback prospects, teams and picks

Excerpt:

What is the logic for high-drafting teams with multiple issues drafting a tight end in the top five? (via @JeffJezewski13)

I got a lot of these questions after my mock draft 2.0, with Jets fans curious about why I had their team taking Florida tight end Kyle Pittsafter trading down to No. 4. It comes down to ... stop thinking of Pitts as just a tight end. Yes, he'd be the highest-drafted tight end in the common draft era, but he doesn't have the limitations of most tight ends. Would you be OK with the Jets taking a No. 1 receiver in the top five? Because that's what they'd be getting, a guy who could get 10 targets per game and score a bunch of touchdowns.

Because of Pitts' size, length and speed, he's really a matchup threat who can line up all over the formation. He's in a different category than any player I can remember, and he has an elite grade from me.

Since I posted 2/8 Pitts' stock has skyrocketed to the point there's no way Giants have a shot at him at #11. Heck he's getting mocked ahead of DeVonta Smith and Jaylen Waddle, the (formerly) consensus Top 2 WRs on the board. Dude's arrow is shooting for a possible Top 5 projection.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wonder if the dynasty community will follow that. Normally I'd say he's no earlier than 1.8 if not later...but the way the buzz is going...will people pull the trigger on him earlier?? 

I just wonder if the dynasty community will follow that. Normally I'd say he's no earlier than 1.8 if not later...but the way the buzz is going...will people pull the trigger on him earlier?? 
I think it is absolutely possible...if all the rookies play to their upside it will be far more difficult to find another Pitts than it will any of the other rookies...I am totally sold on Pitts but if he does disappoint I never want to hear about another high-end TE prospect again.

In his latest mock draft, ESPN's Todd McShay projected the Philadelphia Eagles to select Florida TE Kyle Pitts with the No. 6 pick.

That McShay has Pitts flying off the board within the first 10 picks of the draft isn't a real surprise -- we've seen this elsewhere in the universe of mocks -- but the selection of Pitts ahead of the entire wide receiver class is a differentiator. The analyst passes along that if this scenario does come to pass, "It'd be the 10th time a tight end has been drafted before the first wide receiver off the board, and only four other tight ends have ever been taken in the top six." McShay loves the 6-foot-6, 240-pound Pitts for his athleticism, size and versatility. Expect to hear the phrase "more than just a tight end" on repeat come draft night.

SOURCE: ESPN Plus

Mar 5, 2021, 12:20 PM ET

In his latest mock draft, ESPN's Todd McShay projected the Philadelphia Eagles to select Florida TE Kyle Pitts with the No. 6 pick.
I hope not.  It seems as if I'm always waiting for a TE in Philly to be freed.  Horrible for both Goedert and Pitts MO.

Since I posted 2/8 Pitts' stock has skyrocketed to the point there's no way Giants have a shot at him at #11. Heck he's getting mocked ahead of DeVonta Smith and Jaylen Waddle, the (formerly) consensus Top 2 WRs on the board. Dude's arrow is shooting for a possible Top 5 projection.
Keep in mind: If Pitts was drafted to play WR in the NFL there‘d be a good argument that he is WR2 in this draft class. 
TE might be a mislabel.

is there a chance he gets designated as a WR?
Player like Kelce and maybe Pitts coming up should be listed as WRs.  Kelce only lined up as a traditional TE 38% of the time.    Any TE that does not lineup more than 50% of the snaps at his position should not be listed as a TE.

Player like Kelce and maybe Pitts coming up should be listed as WRs.  Kelce only lined up as a traditional TE 38% of the time.    Any TE that does not lineup more than 50% of the snaps at his position should not be listed as a TE.
What about a guy who is going to start at QB? Should he be listed as a TE? Maybe just for 1 week? But not on all formats?

FMIA: In This 2021 NFL Draft Primer, Uncertainty Is No. 1 Overall Prospect

Excerpt:

The Unicorn. Florida tight end Kyle Pitts is the first player at his position in 43 years of Mel Kiper’s draft-grading to crack the top five overall prospects. Whether he goes that high is a matter of taste, but a smart team could use him as an in-line tight end, running routes out of the slot, split wide, and as an athletic motion man. (Remember Rob Gronkowski’s Jet Motion Super Bowl TD, when he was untouched by any defenders?) So Pitts may be drafted as a tight end but could end up playing all over the map. “If he had ‘WR’ next to his name,” Jeremiah said, “he’d be a top 15 pick.”

Anywhere but Philly.    Well.....not anywhere.
I am all in on him but that spot makes me nervous...Goedert is a UFA after 2021 but who knows whether they sign him or not...the question would be are they drafting Pitts for a dynamic 1-2 TE attack or for Pitts to take over...really hope that question does not hang over my rookie drafts.

I am all in on him but that spot makes me nervous...Goedert is a UFA after 2021 but who knows whether they sign him or not...the question would be are they drafting Pitts for a dynamic 1-2 TE attack or for Pitts to take over...really hope that question does not hang over my rookie drafts.
Whether Goedert signs after 2021 won't matter because the Eagles seem to always to want two top notch TEs and would just go out and get another.

Whether Goedert signs after 2021 won't matter because the Eagles seem top always want two top notch TEs and would just go out and get another.
New coaching staff so I don't think that is a generalization you can make until you actually see it in action....and there's a difference between two good TEs and using the #6 pick on a TE and paying big money for another young TE which is what they will have to do to keep Goedert.

New coaching staff so I don't think that is a generalization you can make until you actually see it in action....and there's a difference between two good TEs and using the #6 pick on a TE and paying big money for another young TE which is what they will have to do to keep Goedert.
Goedert is a talented TE and if anyone thinks he wouldn't cap Pitts' value as long as he's in Philadelphia is fooling themselves.

Florida TE Kyle Pitts is "as dynamic as it gets," an unidentified coach told Bruce Feldman of The Athletic. 

Pitts (6'6/240) is an outstanding talent who can be a matchup problem in the passing game, for both linebackers and defensive backs. As a result he's viewed by many as a top-10 talent in this draft class, with a shot at moving into the top-5. "For a tight end, he is as dynamic as it gets. He has the size, the length and terrific hands. I was really impressed with his route-running. He is such a polished receiver," the coach told Feldman. "He’s everything you want in a receiving tight end. I do question his blocking, so maybe you’re not going to do much in-line stuff with him." 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Mar 10, 2021, 5:02 PM ET
@Andy Dufresnewill love this shocking take on Pitts - no wonder this coach wanted to remain ‘unidentified’ with comments like this.

I was seriously thinking about cheating on Javonte Williams with Kyle Pitts at 1.03 and breaking up with Mark Andrews, but since I’m already seeing Andrews and Kittle and Javonte cooks like no one has ever seen, I’ll tie the knot with Javonte in May.

I was seriously thinking about cheating on Javonte Williams with Kyle Pitts at 1.03 and breaking up with Mark Andrews, but since I’m already seeing Andrews and Kittle and Javonte cooks like no one has ever seen, I’ll tie the knot with Javonte in May.
If he makes it to the #3.  I have the #2 in a league and thinking about him there pre-draft.  Although the draft could change that.

If he makes it to the #3.  I have the #2 in a league and thinking about him there pre-draft.  Although the draft could change that.
If he goes #2 I'll probably have to decide between Chase and Pitts.  I would take either over Etienne, even though I need a RB.  I would end up trading  Andrews (1.5 ppr for TE) if I draft Pitts.

Kyle Pitts and the Panthers: The case for and against taking him 8th in the NFL draft

Excerpt:

THE CASE FOR DRAFTING PITTS ...

One of the Panthers’ biggest needs this offseason is a pass-catching tight end because, frankly, the Panthers didn’t get much production out of their current one. 

Ian Thomas finished the 2020 season with 20 catches for 145 yards and one touchdown, and caught 64.5% of the passes thrown his way. For the Panthers’ offense to succeed, they need more from the tight end spot. 

Throw in Pitts and he instantly makes Teddy Bridgewater and the Panthers’ offense better. 

At 6-foot-6, 240 pounds, Pitts is a red-zone threat, an area of the field the Panthers struggled in 2020. He had 43 catches for 740 yards and 12 touchdowns in only eight games for Florida last season. One of his best games was against the best competition the Gators faced when he had seven catches for 129 yards and a touchdown in the SEC Championship game against Alabama.

ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. lists Pitts as the fifth-best player in the draft, while Todd McShay ranks him as the sixth-best prospect. Eric Edholm of Yahoo! Sports has Pitts in his top five as well, and he may be the best available option if the Panthers stay at No. 8. 

“If you watch him play, he looks more like D.K. Metcalf than he does (Rob Gronkowski),” Edholm said. “Even though they lined him up in line, he was running vertical routes and winning like a wide receiver would win.” 

The Panthers may not be able to re-sign Curtis Samuel this offseason, and Pitts could fill that hole nicely as one of Carolina’s top pass-catching options. He has the potential to be a great receiving option on a rookie deal. 

“I would endorse any team taking him that needs a playmaker,” Edholm said. “Maybe it’s a little luxury, but boy, you’d love to have that guy. I just think he’s special.” 

THE CASE AGAINST DRAFTING PITTS ...

While Pitts is certainly special, there are some drawbacks. 

If the Panthers draft Pitts, they may not be able to draft their franchise quarterback this year. There’s no guarantee they’ll be in a position to draft one in the 2022 NFL draft, either. 

And quarterback is the biggest hole the Panthers need to fill to become a Super Bowl-contending team. 

Sure, Pitts would instantly make the Panthers better. But he wouldn’t transform the Panthers the way a franchise quarterback would. An offensive tackle should also be among the Panthers’ top priorities. 

There’s also the question of whether taking a tight end in the top 10 is too high. Again, Pitts isn’t the traditional tight end. But there are more quality tight ends on Day 2 or Day 3 of the draft than there are quarterbacks.

And Panthers coach Matt Rhule believes they may be able to find a potential starter in one of the later rounds.

“Yes, it’s a position I think we will look at in free agency and in the draft,” Rhule said last week. “You go study the top receiving tight ends in the National Football League, and guys who get taken in the first round, some of them work out and some of them don’t. Some of the best tight ends are third-round guys, fifth-round guys. 

“So it’s something that, you just have to find the right guy that fits you.” 

Penn State’s Pat Freiermuth, who is 6-foot-5, 260 pounds, is an option. He had 23 catches for 310 yards in four games last season. 

Miami’s Brevin Jordan is also an option. The 6-foot-3, 245-pound tight end had 38 catches for 576 yards and 7 touchdowns, including 14 catches for 236 yards and three touchdowns over his final two games.

And then there’s Boston’s College’s Hunter Long, a 6-foot-5, 253 pound tight end, who had five games with 80 yards or more. All are expected to be drafted or Day 2 or Day 3. 

FINAL VERDICT

Pitts is a good pick for the Panthers at No. 8. He’d make the Panthers’ offense better, and they need a tight end. Thomas finished 56th among all tight ends in receiving yards in 2020. 

But while they need a tight end, that position wasn’t what held the Panthers’ offense down last season. The offensive line and quarterback play, were among the biggest concerns.

The Panthers need a franchise quarterback first, and they have the potential to get one in the draft. Trey Lance was impressive in his pro day last week, and he’s an option for the Panthers. Trading up to get Justin Fields or Zach Wilson are also on the table.

Pro Football Network's Tony Pauline writes that Florida TE Kyle Pitts "[m]ust improve his blocking strength."

Pauline explains that Pitts tends to "slow and gather into blocks." These blocking nitpicks are the only demerits that the analyst puts in the 6-foot-6, 240-pounder's scouting report. As for the positives, they are plentiful. Pauline refers to Pitts as an "[a]mazingly athletic pass-catcher," one who displays "outstanding timing" when going up for grabs. Pauline is also keen on Pitts' football IQ -- particularly his natural understanding of when to come back to the ball and how to create open windows for his quarterback. It might be a bridge too far to forward Pitts as a top-five selection, but he's going to be right in that range and he could easily be swept off the board within the first 10 picks of the draft.

SOURCE: Pro Football Network

Mar 19, 2021, 12:52 PM ET

Pro Football Network's Tony Pauline writes that Florida TE Kyle Pitts "[m]ust improve his blocking strength."

Pauline explains that Pitts tends to "slow and gather into blocks." These blocking nitpicks are the only demerits that the analyst puts in the 6-foot-6, 240-pounder's scouting report. As for the positives, they are plentiful. Pauline refers to Pitts as an "[a]mazingly athletic pass-catcher," one who displays "outstanding timing" when going up for grabs. Pauline is also keen on Pitts' football IQ -- particularly his natural understanding of when to come back to the ball and how to create open windows for his quarterback. It might be a bridge too far to forward Pitts as a top-five selection, but he's going to be right in that range and he could easily be swept off the board within the first 10 picks of the draft.

SOURCE: Pro Football Network

Mar 19, 2021, 12:52 PM ET

Expand  
I couldn't care less about his blocking.  Why would anyone?  Totally irrelevant. 

I couldn't care less about his blocking.  Why would anyone?  Totally irrelevant. 
It could matter at the beginning if it keeps him off the field a lot, especially if he goes to a team that doesn’t have a strong offensive line and does not use two-TE sets.

It could matter at the beginning if it keeps him off the field a lot, especially if he goes to a team that doesn’t have a strong offensive line and does not use two-TE sets.
We do see it but would take a really dumb team to spend a top 10 pick on him and think this way.

If any team drafts him thinks of him only as a TE they are doing it wrong. He'd one of the top WR's in this draft, he just also happens to be able to put his hand in the dirt and play TE and that's how he should be thought off. If Eagles for instance take him I won't worry about what he does to Goedert, he'd just be replacing Alshon IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread