Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

NFL and Covid Issues - Initially Asked in Shark Pool To Keep it 100% NFL


Joe Bryant

Recommended Posts

Not must chatter on this. I thought there would be more.  

I am confused. I thought a positive test like this would knock the team out for 5 days now with new rules.  Must be "unless it keeps us from playing the game...games come first. We are cool with positive tests on Sunday nights, no practice, increase injury/disease risks...but don't mess with the schedule."

 

I'm kidding to a degree. I want to see the games but I get a little nervous for people's health when big money is on the line. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Shutout said:

Not must chatter on this. I thought there would be more.  

I am confused. I thought a positive test like this would knock the team out for 5 days now with new rules.  Must be "unless it keeps us from playing the game...games come first. We are cool with positive tests on Sunday nights, no practice, increase injury/disease risks...but don't mess with the schedule."

 

I'm kidding to a degree. I want to see the games but I get a little nervous for people's health when big money is on the line. 

The new rules are that players that are considered "at high-risk / close contact exposure" to someone that tested positive are supposed to be shut down for 5 days and they must keep testing negative to return. But it is unclear (or has not been adequately reported) as to what the parameters are to fit into that category. I am sure some teams will use the "abundance of caution" phraseology for some players, but I don't believe for a second the league intends to rule out entire teams for 5 days.

Edited by Anarchy99
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Anarchy99 said:

The new rules are that players that are considered "at high-risk / close contact exposure" to someone that tested positive are supposed to shut those players down for 5 days and they must keep testing negative to return. But it is unclear (or has not been adequately reported) as to what the parameters are to fit into that category. I am sure some teams will use the "abundance of caution" phraseology for some players, but I don't believe for a second the league intends to rule out entire teams for 5 days.

Thanks for the info. 

I could have sworn I read something that said that if a player gets it, then it shuts him down AND all the players they trace to have proximity with him with those devices they are using.  So you get it and because we practiced together, etc, I'm out too. I guess I didn't read that correctly.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, elshagon said:

Apparently there's just one new positive, and it's not a player.

 

Yeah I'm seeing conflicting info, looks like 4 new positives were reported this AM, but now it's "oops we meant just 1 new positive" and the positive is an assistant coach. They're not in the facility today as a precaution.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

The Falcons had no new positive tests from Thursday’s round of COVID-19 testing.

The Falcons had been shut down after an assistant coach tested positive earlier this week. They were cleared to practice Friday following three straight days of negative testing. This puts Atlanta on track for their Week 6 game with the Vikings.

- Rotoworld

HOWEVER

https://twitter.com/Colts/status/1317058634636054528

Indianapolis Colts facility shut down due to multiple positive tests. 

Edited by The Frankman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, -jb- said:

Colts false positives

Zak Keefer (@zkeefer) Tweeted:
Very good news: Colts owner Jim Irsay says it appears the team's positive tests results this morning were false positives.

Bengals at Colts is on for Sunday, Irsay says. 
 

https://twitter.com/zkeefer/status/1317124174435987458?s=20

Local news just reported the Colts facilities will be reopening. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So now multiple situations just in the last week where we had false positives, and now we have game day testing as well. Are we setting up for a similar situation on a Sunday where someone falsely tests positive in the morning and a game gets cancelled at the last minute? Even worse, a false positive gets reported midway through the second quarter of a game, do they suspend it there? Why can't the NFL get their act together?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

So the Pats get another positive test, could feel this one coming even earlier in the week. I'm sure they are doing everything they can to limit it but is this going to be a trickle 2-3-4 new every week for a while?

Titans 2.0?

NE has had one practice (yesterday) in two weeks. They have been all working remotely and have voluntarily cancelled in-person practice multiple days when they could have still practiced (per NFL policy). Like you said, not much more they can do about it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

NE has had one practice (yesterday) in two weeks. They have been all working remotely and have voluntarily cancelled in-person practice multiple days when they could have still practiced (per NFL policy). Like you said, not much more they can do about it.

Right but New England had to move their game last week? In that sense they don't have any room to play with. How they caught it or how it is spread, little concern to me but the fact is they have it. If they can't go this weekend then actually Tennessee via Tuesday night was able to stay on course. 

Probably all moot, NFL seems ready to roll unless there is a widespread outbreak. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have become conditioned by the events of the last couple weeks to think that the NFL is going to reschedule any game in which one of the teams has a positive test.

But that was never the original plan for this season.

The original plan was to play the games even if there were positive cases and to have extended practice squads to allow teams to use extra players to replace any who were out with Covid.

They did do some rescheduling when there was some flexibility with bye weeks but now that has gone I think they are going to go with the original plan.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Miro Z said:

We have become conditioned by the events of the last couple weeks to think that the NFL is going to reschedule any game in which one of the teams has a positive test.

But that was never the original plan for this season.

The original plan was to play the games even if there were positive cases and to have extended practice squads to allow teams to use extra players to replace any who were out with Covid.

They did do some rescheduling when there was some flexibility with bye weeks but now that has gone I think they are going to go with the original plan.

So what happens when a team like the Titans keeps spreading the virus or a team like the Patriots keeps having players test positive but spaced out? Sure, some games may get played that may otherwise have been postponed, but that could easily lead to a team continually spreading it among themselves. The Patriots have taken the safe route and have only had one practice in what will be over two weeks now. Yet they can't shed the virus, are likely going to have to play anyway, and could easily keep having guys testing positive.

Given the new 5-day isolation rules for people that were in close contact with anyone that tested positive, it's possible teams could have multiple players that test positive and then half the team could be required to isolate. Then what? Does that team have to try to play with 25 players? Does the league make them forfeit? Do they start moving games to the end of the season?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

So what happens when a team like the Titans keeps spreading the virus or a team like the Patriots keeps having players test positive but spaced out? Sure, some games may get played that may otherwise have been postponed, but that could easily lead to a team continually spreading it among themselves. The Patriots have taken the safe route and have only had one practice in what will be over two weeks now. Yet they can't shed the virus, are likely going to have to play anyway, and could easily keep having guys testing positive.

Given the new 5-day isolation rules for people that were in close contact with anyone that tested positive, it's possible teams could have multiple players that test positive and then half the team could be required to isolate. Then what? Does that team have to try to play with 25 players? Does the league make them forfeit? Do they start moving games to the end of the season?

Well, nobody said it was going to be easy.

The point of the protocols the league has put in place is to identify and isolate cases on teams as quickly as possible.

I think on balance they have been quite successful so far. So far the Titans are the only major outbreak, likely because the protocols were not properly followed. There are many teams that have not had a single case.

It is always possible that because of the incubation period you might get cases popping up days after the original positive (as with the Patriots) but I think the league would argue that these can be contained if the protocols are followed.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, shades said:

Eagles place starting Right Guard Matt Pryor on the COVID reserve list. 

No idea if it's a positive test or contact trace yet. No idea if it jeopardizes this week's PHI/BAL game yet.

It is for contact with someone outside of the Eagles. Hopefully stays that way.

Tim McManus  @Tim_McManus

The Eagles have placed Matt Pryor on the Reserve/COVID-19 list. He was in close contact with someone outside of the building who had the virus, a source said. He hasn’t tested positive himself yet. Team will go through the necessary protocol.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/11/2020 at 3:02 PM, shades said:

DEN/NE moved to 1pm Sunday week 6

KC/BUF moved to 5pm Monday week 6

NYJ/MIA moved from week 10 to 4pm week 6

NYJ/LAC moved from week 6 to 4pm week 11

JAX/LAC moved from week 8 to 4pm week 7

LAC/DEN moved from week 11 to 4pm week 8

LAC/MIA moved from week 7 to 4pm week 10

MIA/DEN moved from week 6 to 4pm week 11

 

:loco:

:bowtie:

Ya all laughed at me when I put out one of these crazy scenarios earlier in the thread.

:)

-QG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jags Facility shut this time:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30130808/jacksonville-jaguars-closing-their-facility-positive-covid-19-test

 

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - The Jacksonville Jaguars closed their facility on Saturday after a practice squad player tested positive for COVID-19 on Friday.

The team said it consulted with the NFL and is following NFL protocols and is conducting football activities remotely.

The Jaguars are scheduled to play host to Detroit Lions at 1 p.m. at TIAA Bank Field on Sunday and the team said in a statement they are still planning to play the game.

The Jaguars said they learned Friday night that the player had tested positive and was given a POC test to confirm the positive result.

The Jaguars have practice squad players sit together and apart from the other players on the active roster during team meetings.

This is the first positive test for a Jaguars player since running back Ryquell Armstead was placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list on Sept. 5

Edited by Dacomish
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dacomish said:

Jags Facility shut this time:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30130808/jacksonville-jaguars-closing-their-facility-positive-covid-19-test

 

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - The Jacksonville Jaguars closed their facility on Saturday after a practice squad player tested positive for COVID-19 on Friday.

The team said it consulted with the NFL and is following NFL protocols and is conducting football activities remotely.

The Jaguars are scheduled to play host to Detroit Lions at 1 p.m. at TIAA Bank Field on Sunday and the team said in a statement they are still planning to play the game.

The Jaguars said they learned Friday night that the player had tested positive and was given a POC test to confirm the positive result.

The Jaguars have practice squad players sit together and apart from the other players on the active roster during team meetings.

This is the first positive test for a Jaguars player since running back Ryquell Armstead was placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list on Sept. 5

Does Armstead still have Covid?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This has become the norm now.  It seems every day we have 1 to 2 of these.  What happens now that they are testing on game day when someone is positive only to find out they are negative later.  This is a huge mess.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Joe Bryant changed the title to NFL and Covid Issues - Initially Asked in Shark Pool To Keep it 100% NFL

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...