What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL and Covid Issues - Initially Asked in Shark Pool To Keep it 100% NFL (3 Viewers)

Atlanta again

Falcons DE John Cominsky tested positive for COVID-19 and is out for Week 6 against the Vikings.

Does Armstead still have Covid?

Still listed on NFL.com as Reserve COVID and also COVID Illness on MFL, so I would assume he hasn't been re-instated yet. 

Armstead was left off the report on Friday, so in my CBS league he was taken off IR. However, some digging seems to indicate that this was an error by the Jags and he should have been listed and is still on the covid-reserve list. Some further digging seems to indicate that Armstead may have lost a family member to covid and wants to opt-out of the season. Since his decision to opt-out came after the NFL deadline, though, the Jags are doing him a favor and just stashing him on the covid-reserve list for the rest of the year. 

https://www.jaguars.com/news/jaguars-make-roster-designations

Jaguars Make Roster Designations

Oct 17, 2020 at 04:58 PM

The Jacksonville Jaguars have placed the following players on the Practice Squad/COVID-19 list:

Cottrell, Nathan (RB, Georgia Tech)

Ellefson, Ben (TE, North Dakota State)

Evans, Nate (LB, Central Florida)

Giles-Harris, Joe (LB, Duke)

Godwin, Terry (WR, Georgia)

Hammond, Josh (WR, Florida)

Hilbers, Jared (T, Washington)

McDermott, KC (Miami-FL)

Middleton, Doug (DB, Appalachian State)

Nurse, Josh (DB, Utah)

Pleasants, Austen (T, Ohio)

Quinn, Trey (WR, Southern Methodist) 

The Jaguars also placed the following player on the Reserve/COVID-19 list:

Josh Mauro (DE, Stanford)

https://www.jaguars.com/news/jaguars-make-roster-designations

Jaguars Make Roster Designations

The Jaguars also placed the following player on the Reserve/COVID-19 list:

Josh Mauro (DE, Stanford)

Mauro was serving a PED suspension, right...? So any chance they Jags are being insincere with the covid list and using it to shield guys that they don't want to activate just yet, but don't want to dismiss, either? Something just seems fishy here. 

Part of what we're seeing this week is the effect of the new rule. Presumably many of these covid-reserve moves are people who have had contact and are now ineligible for 5 days. Before this week they would have been tested and allowed to play. 

Maybe the NFL is taking it more seriously, and this is the result. It could be evidence they're trying to do better, not that they don't care. 

Part of what we're seeing this week is the effect of the new rule. Presumably many of these covid-reserve moves are people who have had contact and are now ineligible for 5 days. Before this week they would have been tested and allowed to play. 

Maybe the NFL is taking it more seriously, and this is the result. It could be evidence they're trying to do better, not that they don't care. 
"Better" being a very, very low bar.

We’re a long way from being out of the woods but the league has done a good job of moving things forward and getting through the bumps in the road. 

Aside from the whole "Let's just pretend this thing with the Titans didn't actually happen" thing. 
Wouldn't most blame the Titans organization more for that than the league? Plus they did manage to get past it without it being the complete disaster it potentially could have been.

Wouldn't most blame the Titans organization more for that than the league? Plus they did manage to get past it without it being the complete disaster it potentially could have been.
Yes and Yes.  Which is why the Titans should get more than a tsk-tsk - even a slap on the wrist would be greater punishment than what they've received.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the league found insufficient clear communication regarding workouts outside the Titans' facility.

The league basically patted Tennessee's entire organization on the back and asked them to never break protocol again. The Titans could potentially be fined but won't forfeit any future games or draft picks. Among the violations the league reportedly did find were players and staff congregating in hallways without masks. Roger Goodell is clearly just trying to move on from this story while keeping his fingers crossed that it was the last organizational outbreak of the 2020 season.

- Adam Schefter

Last edited by a moderator:
They might, but that doesn't mean that it's right.

I guess it depends on how you define a "complete disaster". Are you comparing the NFL season to the NBA season after coming back? NHL? MLB? 

After a month into the NFL season(I think it was announced OCT 11th) the league had changed the schedules for the Patriots, broncos, Titans, Bills, Chiefs, Dolphins, Chargers, Jaguars, and Jets. That's starting from a point("coincidentally" when teams were NOT traveling around the country) when most teams had ZERO cases. I'm not sure they can continue to do this for the next several months without adding more than "just" a week #18. I think the league is losing schedule flexibility as the season has grinded forward. But maybe that was the super secret plan the owners had all along and I just wasn't privy to it.

Carolina Panthers @Panthers · 5m

#Panthers place Joey Slye and Trent Scott on reserve/COVID-19 list
uh oh. Sounds like they might have been in contact with someone with COVID and not actually have it.

Vic Tafur

@VicTafur

·

2m

NFL believes Trent Brown, who tested positive, wasn't consistently wearing his tracking device, and has video of the starting offensive linemen hanging out without masks, according to

@TomPelissero

The Bucs-Raiders game has been moved from Sunday night to Sunday at 4:05 p.m. eastern time. 

The Cardinals-Seahawks game has been moved into the Sunday night spot, ensuring the NFL won't be without a prime time game. It's a sign that league officials are concerned about whether the Bucs-Raiders can can be played amid the Raiders' COVID-19 issues. The entire Vegas offensive line is in isolation after Trent Brown tested positive for the virus and video surfaced of the team's offensive linemen hanging out without masks. Fantasy managers would do well to make the necessary adjustments in case this game is postponed. 

SOURCE: Jonathan Jones on Twitter

Oct 22, 2020, 3:31 PM ET

Paul Gutierrez @PGutierrezESPN

Confirmed: #Raiders OL and Abram all going on COVID-19 list as they have been deemed HIGH RISK contacts, so they are now ‘quarantined’ for 5 days plus last day of contact, which was Monday. Which means they could conceivably be cleared Sunday morning via a POC test but (more)...
https://twitter.com/pgutierrezespn/status/1319368554270121987?s=21

...also means less time to prep for #Buccaneers game, which was moved up from 5 pm to 1 pm PT. Plus, Raiders only have 5 other O-linemen on 53-man roster and two others on practice squad. But teams have to suit up at least 8 OL on gamedays. And simply (more)...
https://twitter.com/pgutierrezespn/status/1319368740660797446?s=21

...signing a street free agent doesn’t work either because they would then have to go through 6-day entry protocol. Moving game back to Monday or Tuesday seems most likely at this juncture.
https://twitter.com/pgutierrezespn/status/1319369087382917125?s=21

Seems to me if they're all quarantined because they weren't following protocols they shouldn't be rewarded with additional time to prepare for the game assuming it's postponed.*

*Disclaimer - Bucs' fan who wants to win at all costs.

Someone refresh my memory - weren’t the Raiders just admonished for not wearing masks at that charity event like 2 weeks ago? 

Now they’re saying some were not wearing the contact bracelets?

smdh 

raiders gonna raider. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Someone refresh my memory - weren’t the Raiders just admonished for not wearing masks at that charity event like 2 weeks ago? 
Yep

I didn't realize teams had to dress eight offensive linemen. A little surprised, too, that they don't have a blocking TE on the roster that can play last-ditch emergency right tackle ... maybe that kind of player is more a relic of 1970s-80s football, though.

Long snappers today are usually too light to hold up as a regular center on offense ... maybe a few teams still have a snapper that could pull that off.

...also means less time to prep for #Buccaneers game, which was moved up from 5 pm to 1 pm PT. Plus, Raiders only have 5 other O-linemen on 53-man roster and two others on practice squad. But teams have to suit up at least 8 OL on gamedays. And simply (more)...
Is that actually a league requirement?  I guess I could see the NFLPA insisting on it, but I have never heard of that before.  8 seems like a highly advisable number, but don't know if that's an actual requirement.

Now they’re saying some were not wearing the contact bracelets?

smdh 

raiders gonna raider. 🤦🏼‍♂️
Were they, though? Admonished?

Or was it "Stop. Or I'll say stop again." ?

The lack of discipline for the Titans sent just as much of a message to the rest of the league as it would had they imposed fines, etc. 

So these geniuses on the Raiders may have figured "#### masks" and nobody is going to do anything to us.

SMDH as well.

Saints placed Emmanuel Sanders on the COVID-19 list.

New Orleans is not expected to have either Michael Thomas (hamstring) or Sanders in Week 7 against the Panthers. The team will move forward with some combination of Tre'Quan Smith, Deonte Harris, Bennie Fowler and Marquez Callaway in three-wide sets with Jared Cook at tight end. Alvin Kamara remains the only player fantasy managers can have confidence in for Week 7.

- Adam Schefter

Raiders head coach Jon Gruden said there's a "good chance" LT Kolton Miller, LG Denzelle Good, C Rodney Hudson, and RG Gabe Jackson will be activated from the COVID-19 list for Week 7. 

Gruden seems at least somewhat confident the Raiders won't go into their Week 7 game against Tampa without the entire starting offensive line. The Bucs defense, already a top Week 7 option, would get a big bump if the Raiders are without some or all of their offensive linemen. 

- Paul Gutierrez

Were they, though? Admonished?

Or was it "Stop. Or I'll say stop again." ?

The lack of discipline for the Titans sent just as much of a message to the rest of the league as it would had they imposed fines, etc. 

So these geniuses on the Raiders may have figured "#### masks" and nobody is going to do anything to us.

SMDH as well.
To be fair the league could have made rules/consequences readily available anytime after the draft in April, but they have chosen to make these rules and consequences up as the season goes along. 

I asked about that in the summer and people thought I was being ridiculous for asking such questions because "the players have so much to lose why would they EVER do something to endanger themselves, the team, and the league!?" and "how do you know the league doesn't have some super secret protocols all set up.... why, can you PROVE that they DON'T!?". I guess they were so secret even the teams in the league hadn't heard them before the season began.

Not sure how the teams can hold the players accountable, and the league can hold the teams accountable, if the league itself isn't accountable for the series of bad decisions that is made before the start the season. Not since September mind you.... since APRIL. If the league is just going to make up the rules and consequences on the fly mid season maybe the teams/players are busy spending time preparing for a game that MIGHT be schedules in a few days.... unless a new schedule is announced before then.

Anyone know why we have so much disparity in how many fans are allowed at the stadiums?
As MA said above, every state and city has their own rules regarding how to handle the virus. Florida and Texas are much more lax compared to California or New York.

When will we know more about this whole Raiders thing...I have too many things riding on that one.

Jacobs and Jones in two of my starting spots...and injuries to Mostert, M. Thomas and bye weeks for D. Parker are making my options limited in flexing someone...Id slide Lindsay into my RB2 I guess.  But would have to make a move for a flex spot.

Users who are viewing this thread