What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL and Covid Issues - Initially Asked in Shark Pool To Keep it 100% NFL (1 Viewer)

The Steelers reported no positive COVID-19 tests Monday. 

It's a relief after the Steelers played the Ravens and CB Marlon Humphrey, who tested positive for the virus but didn't know about the results until after the game. Through a spokesperson, the Steelers said they would continue observing strict COVID protocols while they prepare to play Dallas in Week 9. 

SOURCE: Pittsburgh Steelers on Twitter 

Nov 2, 2020, 11:49 AM ET
I won't feel better until the end of the week

If it's aerosol spread they're concerned with, "close contact" also involves a time element. Probably no one Vikings players was within several feet of Dillon for minutes at a time. Fellow Packers players on the bench and in the locker room, however, probably were.
There was info recently that it could be cumulative. Was presented in the context of a coworker you were with for only minutes, but several times during the day.
Point taken. Still think Vikings defenders were largely in the clear from outside-air aerosol spread from Dillon's breath. Droplet spread, of course, is another matter.

I think it'll prove out that Dillon was more of a risk to his teammates than to opponents and that it will be the Packers' players who take the brunt here.

"active player?"  So does that mean guys like ODB, Chubb, etc aren't in this category?  Or does this mean active vs practice squad?

WTF do they have to make this so nebulous?  I get that teams can't give out this information without the player's consent, but it's going to come out eventually anyway (when the player gets put on the COVID list), so what's with all the cloak and dagger stuff?

The Steelers reported no positive COVID-19 tests Monday. 

It's a relief after the Steelers played the Ravens and CB Marlon Humphrey, who tested positive for the virus but didn't know about the results until after the game. Through a spokesperson, the Steelers said they would continue observing strict COVID protocols while they prepare to play Dallas in Week 9. 

SOURCE: Pittsburgh Steelers on Twitter 

Nov 2, 2020, 11:49 AM ET
How is this even possible?

What is the point of taking the test if you are not going to look at the results?

Just another example of the NFL cutting corners on their safety protocol and enabling the teams to get away with crap like this.

If it's aerosol spread they're concerned with, "close contact" also involves a time element. Probably no one Vikings players was within several feet of Dillon for minutes at a time. Fellow Packers players on the bench and in the locker room, however, probably were.

Having said that ... droplet spread while being tackled, blocking, etc. can definitely still happen and doesn't require any more than a moment.
Sure...but to this point, has there been any confirmed case of spread during the course of play?  I thought I had read that that has not been an issue thus far in the season (or even in college football)?

Sure...but to this point, has there been any confirmed case of spread during the course of play?  I thought I had read that that has not been an issue thus far in the season (or even in college football)?
The Vikings got lucky they didn't have any cases when they played against Tennessee, hopefully they will be again.

I don't think there is less risk of catching the virus when exposed to it on the field as opposed to off the field. 

I am sure teams are hiding information about this as much as they can.

The Vikings got lucky they didn't have any cases when they played against Tennessee, hopefully they will be again.

I don't think there is less risk of catching the virus when exposed to it on the field as opposed to off the field. 

I am sure teams are hiding information about this as much as they can.
Sure...not saying anything is more or less likely...just that I thought thus far they have not confirmed any spread via game play.

How is this even possible?

What is the point of taking the test if you are not going to look at the results?

Just another example of the NFL cutting corners on their safety protocol and enabling the teams to get away with crap like this.
It's not teams getting away with anything it's the nature of the testing. I don't think the results are available until Sunday evening/Monday morning.  This is a NFL issue not a particular team's.

Okay I guess I misunderstood the timing of the tests and how soon the teams get the results. Thanks guys for pointing out that detail that I missed.

Just my natural instinct I guess to expect bending of rules and safety guidelines for some ones gain or benefit. It happens all the time.

Saturday's tests, it seems like, are meant to "clear" a player for Sunday's games because the results come in before gametime. I guess the new Sunday morning tests are to help contact tracing and get an earlier jump on isolating infected players -- under the old testing scheme, Dillon wouldn't have been a known positive until Tuesday morning at the earliest.

Question: Why doesn't the league have all players take duplicate (or, really, triplicate) rapid tests a few hours before games? They'd get results back in less than an hour (less than 30 minutes, I believe). With a ~70% accuracy rate for a single swab, two swabs gets you to 93% accuracy and three swabs gets you to 97.9% accuracy. For those wondering -- a fourth swab gets you to 99.34% accuracy.
Exactly. Everyone should be getting these tests regularly. Overtest if anything. But they don't just grow on trees, or overnight. Still, we have been dealing with this problem for almost an entire calendar year. Seems like this should just be standard procedure by now. 

Jamal Williams and Kamal Martin now out for Thursday at high risk contacts of AJ Dillon for Green Bay (Martin is his roomate)

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports seven "close contacts" of Ravens CB Marlon Humphrey will be added to the reserve/COVID-19 list on Tuesday. 

We don't know the players yet, but none of the seven will be allowed to practice this week. It is important to remember that all seven still have time to get cleared for Sunday's game against the Colts. We should receive the names later Tuesday afternoon. 

- Tom Pelissero
Seven people who will be in a rush to get cleared for Sunday; probably all on D.

EDIT: Very important note here

Lindsay Jones @bylindsayhjones

Replying to @bylindsayhjones and @TheAthleticNFL

To clarify here: The NFL has not mandated sideline masks for players during games, but they are mandatory pre- and post-game. The message now is that wearing masks when not on the field reduces the chances of being a high-risk close contact.

Replying to @bylindsayhjones

NFL exec Dawn Aponte: "If they are on the sideline and they mask up, keep their distance as best they can, that will make a difference in determining them to be high risk." High risk close contacts require a 5 day isolation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ravens placed S DeShon Elliott on the reserve/COVID-19 list. 

Elliott is one of seven "close contacts" of COVID-positive Marlon Humphrey who must miss this week's practices and quarantine. The other six are: LB Matthew Judon, LB Patrick Queen, LB L.J. Fort, LB Malik Harrison, CB Terrell Bonds and LB Tyus Bowser. Presuming they all keep returning negative tests, all seven players will be eligible to suit up for Sunday's game against the Colts. An every-down player his third year in the league, Elliott has been providing strong snaps at the back end of the Ravens' defense.

- Jamison Hensley

I'm embarrassed to admit I don't know this

Are there rules (minimum period) for Covid list? Specifically I am asking about Jamaal Williams, whom I guess was exposed to the other RB Dillon, right?

Qs 

• how long does an exposed player have to quarantine? do they have to have say multiple negative tests over a specified period? in this specific instance, when might Williams be eligible to come off the Covid list
  • not germane to this situation but if a player tests positive, what are the rules?
  • can anyone tell me E Sanders status rn and when he might be active again? is he coming off Covid list this week and playing Sunday?
TIA

I'm embarrassed to admit I don't know this

Are there rules (minimum period) for Covid list? Specifically I am asking about Jamaal Williams, whom I guess was exposed to the other RB Dillon, right?

Qs 

• how long does an exposed player have to quarantine? do they have to have say multiple negative tests over a specified period? in this specific instance, when might Williams be eligible to come off the Covid list
  • not germane to this situation but if a player tests positive, what are the rules?
  • can anyone tell me E Sanders status rn and when he might be active again? is he coming off Covid list this week and playing Sunday?
TIA
It's not a 3-week minimum like IR, but I think there's a minimum number of days that they have to go without testing positive. 

The issue for the Packers is that they play on Thursday this week.  Williams may clear the Covid protocol before Sunday, but can't clear it before Thursday.

Selfishly hoping game gets moved so they'll have Jamaal....
Meh, would that really help you? If the game gets moved, its just as likely that Jones is ready.

More than likely, unless there are more players that have COVID, I think its very unlikely the game is moved.

Bucs placed DL William Gholston on the reserve/COVID-19 list.

Gholston announced he was in close contact with an infected individual and is self-quarantining. He said he already had the virus earlier in the summer. The 29-year-old has been in on 54% of the Bucs' defensive snaps this season.

- Rotoworld

Broncos placed DL Shelby Harris on the reserve/COVID-19 list.

He's been in close contact with an infected individual. Harris has played 60% of the Broncos' defensive snaps this season, recording 2.5 sacks and a forced fumble. He's one of the Broncos' better defenders.

- Rotoworld

49ers placed WR Brandon Aiyuk on the reserve/COVID-19 list and he will miss Thursday's Week 9's game against the Packers.

Deebo Samuel and LT Trent Williams join Aiyuk on the COVID-19 list as close contacts to Kendrick Bourne, who was previously ruled out. Samuel was already set to miss the game, but the 49ers now will be without their top two wide receivers and best left tackle. It is fair to question how this game is moving forward as planned on Thursday night and, if it is indeed played, who will catch passes from Nick Mullens. The 49ers are down to Trent Taylor and Richie James at the position on the active roster, but three names on the practice squad.

- Rotoworld

How the league can talk about player safety and then you have no WRs for one side and no RBs for the other (when you have put off these games til Sunday or Monday before)...its crazy.  
The league should do the same thing they did when the Raiders had their whole O-line out...pull the game FORWARD to tonight!

It's a fair point and the rules on what the protocols would be WHEN(not IF) there were positive tests should have clearly been laid out before the season began.

What causes a delay. What moves a game back. What causes a cancellation. This whole nonsense, "Well gosh who in 2020 could have POSSIBLY have guessed that there would be positive covid tests and some point!?" is as absolutely idiotic today as it was in July and August.

Seemed obvious before the season began to some of us.

The Texans will close its facilities Thursday due to a positive COVID-19 test.

As always with positive tests, the Texans will shut down its facilities and force the player who tested positive (to be revealed on tomorrow's transactions wire) to keep at home. Any players who were deemed in close contact will also quarantine and be ruled out for Sunday due to the league's five-day window. As it stands, Sunday's contest between the Texans and Jaguars is still scheduled to occur.

- David Nuno

Feels like we’re on the brink of this maybe going pear shaped....

The NFL appears to have adopted the “move along, nothing to see here” approach - just pushing through with games regardless now since they have no option now unless they really mess with the schedule. It’s like they’re thinking “we’ve made it half way. Just keep going!”

Tonight’s game should be moved to later in the weekend   However, it appears the NFL is changing course and trying to make teams play with what they have before an outbreak is the speculation   

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/11/04/trent-williams-brandon-aiyuk-will-miss-thursday-nights-game-due-to-contact-with-kendrick-bourne/

Trent Williams, Brandon Aiyuk will miss Thursday night’s game due to contact with Kendrick Bourne

Posted by Mike Florio on November 4, 2020, 7:44 PM EST

The 49ers are more like the 29ers this year.

Already grossly shorthanded due to injury, San Francisco will lose two more players based on their contact with COVID-19 positive receiver Kendrick Bourne.

The 49ers officially have placed tackle Trent Williams and receiver Brandon Aiyuk on the COVID-19/reserve list as high-risk close contacts with Bourne. Receiver Deebo Samuel, who already was due to miss the game because of injury, also will be placed on the COVID-19 reserve list based on contact with Bourne.

And so, among others, the 49ers won’t have their top three receivers, their top tight end, their top tailbacks, their top quarterback, and their starting left tackle, among others on Thursday night against the Packers.

Why is the game proceeding, you ask? The league’s main focus is getting the games played. Even if it would be more “fair” to the 49ers to bump the game to Monday or Tuesday, the situation could get worse by then. Starting with the Buccaneers-Raiders game from Week Seven, the league began to convey a clear priority and preference to get the games played, even if one team will be woefully unprepared for it.

Tonight’s game should be moved to later in the weekend   However, it appears the NFL is changing course and trying to make teams play with what they have before an outbreak is the speculation   

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/11/04/trent-williams-brandon-aiyuk-will-miss-thursday-nights-game-due-to-contact-with-kendrick-bourne/

Trent Williams, Brandon Aiyuk will miss Thursday night’s game due to contact with Kendrick Bourne

Posted by Mike Florio on November 4, 2020, 7:44 PM EST

The 49ers are more like the 29ers this year.

Already grossly shorthanded due to injury, San Francisco will lose two more players based on their contact with COVID-19 positive receiver Kendrick Bourne.

The 49ers officially have placed tackle Trent Williams and receiver Brandon Aiyuk on the COVID-19/reserve list as high-risk close contacts with Bourne. Receiver Deebo Samuel, who already was due to miss the game because of injury, also will be placed on the COVID-19 reserve list based on contact with Bourne.

And so, among others, the 49ers won’t have their top three receivers, their top tight end, their top tailbacks, their top quarterback, and their starting left tackle, among others on Thursday night against the Packers.

Why is the game proceeding, you ask? The league’s main focus is getting the games played. Even if it would be more “fair” to the 49ers to bump the game to Monday or Tuesday, the situation could get worse by then. Starting with the Buccaneers-Raiders game from Week Seven, the league began to convey a clear priority and preference to get the games played, even if one team will be woefully unprepared for it.
Even without Covid the 49ers weren't likely to field a competitive team due to injuries.  If moving the game to Monday or Tuesday would allow the two Covid players to participate then fine but if not they might as well play the game as scheduled.

The league seems to think that their contact tracing is now robust enough that they can isolate not only the positive player, but those most likely to be part of an outbreak due to that player, assuming an outbreak would occur at all, which it might not.  

If a position group is hobbled like WR or LB, then too bad - we're playing the game.  It surely might affect who wins or loses, but won't increase the likelihood of injury for those that do play the game.

The only situation I think that warrants a reschedule based on position group is the offensive line - if you can't field 8 healthy guys, there's a real risk of getting QB's and RB's knocked out for weeks or months.  And the NFL does not want any QB's going down to injury.

Feels like we’re on the brink of this maybe going pear shaped....

The NFL appears to have adopted the “move along, nothing to see here” approach - just pushing through with games regardless now since they have no option now unless they really mess with the schedule. It’s like they’re thinking “we’ve made it half way. Just keep going!”
Yeah it kind of does. Society, as a whole, kind of feels that way. 

How the league can talk about player safety and then you have no WRs for one side and no RBs for the other (when you have put off these games til Sunday or Monday before)...its crazy.  
Completely agree, The problem is they don't have another two teams they can force to be ready and play tonight and they are not going to lose out on the revenue of a Thursday night game not being played.

It is clearly $$ over player safety. 

This all could have been solved if they wouldn't have hidden their heads in the sand from day one and created a schedule that had two byes built in for each team, so they could have had more flexibility to move games around. It is too far down the road at this point to change anything.

It's mind boggling to me that at minimum, the league didn't push the SF/GB game to Monday or Tuesday.

Not just from a player safety standpoint, but also from a competitive standpoint.

I'd be griping left and right if I were Shanahan.

It's mind boggling to me that at minimum, the league didn't push the SF/GB game to Monday or Tuesday.

Not just from a player safety standpoint, but also from a competitive standpoint.

I'd be griping left and right if I were Shanahan.
Not me.  The NFL doesn't care about it's players it's all about the $$$$ and they want that Thurs night TV revenue.

Users who are viewing this thread