What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL and Covid Issues - Initially Asked in Shark Pool To Keep it 100% NFL (2 Viewers)

I'm in the minority I guess, but I see no reason to postpone the game. I will also say, I thought they shouldn't have bent over backwards for the Titans. As long as contact tracing doesn't have a ton of guys on it, I see no problems. That is exactly why we have expanded practice squads. 

San Fran is out Aiyuk and T.Williams. Green Bay is out J.Williams. Its not that big of a deal. I don't count Bourne and Dillon since they have it, and wouldn't be playing if the game was moved anyway. 

Completely agree, The problem is they don't have another two teams they can force to be ready and play tonight and they are not going to lose out on the revenue of a Thursday night game not being played.

It is clearly $$ over player safety. 

This all could have been solved if they wouldn't have hidden their heads in the sand from day one and created a schedule that had two byes built in for each team, so they could have had more flexibility to move games around. It is too far down the road at this point to change anything.
I mean they could move the game to Monday or Tuesday and keep it on FOX/NFL Network so as to not lose the game or revenue. I think just plowing through and playing the "healthy" players is probably the correct move though. It's the only way this really works.

I'm in the minority I guess, but I see no reason to postpone the game. I will also say, I thought they shouldn't have bent over backwards for the Titans. As long as contact tracing doesn't have a ton of guys on it, I see no problems. That is exactly why we have expanded practice squads. 

San Fran is out Aiyuk and T.Williams. Green Bay is out J.Williams. Its not that big of a deal. I don't count Bourne and Dillon since they have it, and wouldn't be playing if the game was moved anyway. 
I kinda agree. You either play or you don’t but with numbers increasing across the country, if you want to play you’re going to have some players test positive. We have had a number of nurses/staff test positive at work. Do the same thing, contact trace, send home anyone who has had close contact. 

Completely agree, The problem is they don't have another two teams they can force to be ready and play tonight and they are not going to lose out on the revenue of a Thursday night game not being played.

It is clearly $$ over player safety. 

This all could have been solved if they wouldn't have hidden their heads in the sand from day one and created a schedule that had two byes built in for each team, so they could have had more flexibility to move games around. It is too far down the road at this point to change anything.
They already lost one Thursday night (and could have easily moved someone to Thursday night as it was obvious it was going to happen a few weeks ago).  The week TB and GB played...GB coming off of a bye, TB playing the previous Thursday and they knew with TN Buffalo that Buffalo wouldn't be playing that next Thursday.  We got no game.

And yeah...its $$$ for sure.

They moved Buffalo/KC(a bigger drawing game) from Thursday to Monday.
I know I guess I'm confused on why this one's different.  In fact more cases now.  I think they realized how much that stung and they screwed up the schedule by not including extra bye weeks so now they'll plow through and have every Thurs game regardless of the numbers.  Not saying it's right or wrong just a choice the NFL has now made.

Agree

With all the false positives and nearly 100% asymptomatic at this point by those that have had it, playing on seems to be the most prudent thing to do. They seemed to realize after the Tenn/Pitt game that postponing doesn't really prevent more cases from popping up so play on. 

With all the false positives and nearly 100% asymptomatic at this point by those that have had it, playing on seems to be the most prudent thing to do. They seemed to realize after the Tenn/Pitt game that postponing doesn't really prevent more cases from popping up so play on. 
What do you know for sure are the long term impacts of having Covid?

Yahoo's Charles Robinson reports the Raiders have been fined $500,000 and stripped of a 2021 sixth-round draft pick for "protocol violations related to OT Trent Brown’s positive test in late October."

Coach Jon Gruden has also been fined $150,000. The stiff penalties are because the Raiders were deemed to be "repeat offenders." Gruden certainly hasn't displayed the best mask form on the sideline, in addition to some off-the-field protocol issues with his players. With COVID running more and more rampant inside the NFL, the league is going to grow ever more heavy-handed in an effort to keep the season on track. It is going to be extraordinarily difficult as the United States deals with record coronavirus cases heading into colder weather. 

- Charles Robinson
Now waiting on the Titans and Bucs to get hit retroactively.

Last edited by a moderator:
NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Dolphins are in COVID-19 protocols after an assistant coach tested positive.

Friday's practice has been changed to a walkthrough and the Dolphins are undergoing contact tracing. For now, Sunday's game against the Cardinals remains on track to be played. 

- Tom Pelissero on NFL Network

The Bengals had two players with positive COVID-19 tests on Thursday.

The Bengals are on their bye this week. Both players have been placed in COVID protocols. Barring further positive tests, the Bengals should return to their facility next week. 

- Rotoworld
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Packers had a player who was active in Week 9 test positive for COVID-19.

The Packers already have A.J. Dillon, Jamaal Williams, and LB Kamal Martin on the COVID list. The hope is the latest player to test positive didn't pass it to anyone on Thursday night. Coming off a short week, the Packers have a few extra days to get ready for Week 10.

- Rotoworld
ESPN: Sources: NFL fines Pittsburgh Steelers, Mike Tomlin over masks

So COVID is not the reason “they have no RBs”

Next man up, let’s do this 
It was the reason 2 of their top 3 backs was out.  And a starting LB.  In addition to the several on SF's side.

They got through the game, though a Packer tested positive now coming out of that game.

It was the reason 2 of their top 3 backs was out.  And a starting LB.  In addition to the several on SF's side.

They got through the game, though a Packer tested positive now coming out of that game.
Right

But you were complaining that “the nfl doesn’t care about player safety” because “GB has no RBs”

Right

But you were complaining that “the nfl doesn’t care about player safety” because “GB has no RBs”
It was about the whole thing...both teams between injury and then Covid were going into the game ridiculously thin at positions...that perhaps waiting would have made it not so.

It was about the whole thing...both teams between injury and then Covid were going into the game ridiculously thin at positions...that perhaps waiting would have made it not so.
I also honestly think that the NFL could have waited on this game a little longer if we're talking player safety. But if we're talking competitiveness, Mullens was leading nobody nowhere. Let's face it. (That's not directed at you, sho, just in general.)

They also could have waited another day and Aaron Rodgers then tests positive. So who knows. That's why I think they're just pushing forward as long as teams have enough guys to play.

I also honestly think that the NFL could have waited on this game a little longer if we're talking player safety. But if we're talking competitiveness, Mullens was leading nobody nowhere. Let's face it. (That's not directed at you, sho, just in general.)
Yes...that is true...it was safety given the OL issues already, backups sticking in to block and so on. And it also isn't the first thing at all when it comes to the hypocrisy of the NFL claiming to be about player safety then doing what they can as long as the ratings and $$$ keep coming.

Yes...that is true...it was safety given the OL issues already, backups sticking in to block and so on. And it also isn't the first thing at all when it comes to the hypocrisy of the NFL claiming to be about player safety then doing what they can as long as the ratings and $$$ keep coming.
I think we agree fully. I was just addressing a different argument in the second part of what I was saying. 

I think you're right about the claims of player safety and hypocrisy. 

NFL Network's Mike Garofolo reports the Browns have placed QB Baker Mayfield on the reserve/COVID-19 list.

Mayfield was reportedly placed on the list because of a high-risk contact situation and not because he tested positive. If he returns negative results moving forward, Cleveland could clear him to return to practice as early as Wednesday. The Browns will be in intensive protocols upon returning from their bye week. Case Keenum will draw the start in Week 10 if Mayfield returns a positive test result. Cleveland's run-based approach should continue to operate smoothly with Keenum at the helm.

- Mike Garafolo

FMIA: COVID Warning Shot

At first glance, the COVID news in the NFL is pretty good. Tonight, the league will play its 133rd game of the season, Patriots at Jets, meaning that 52 percent of the regular season has been played, and every game that has been postponed due to COVID has been rescheduled during the regular season by shuffling byes and some teams’ schedules.

Now the sobering news: The league has 123 games left in the last eight weeks of the season, and rescheduling them during the season will be exceedingly hard. Only 10 of the league’s 32 bye-week slots are left: four in Week 10, four in Week 11, two in Week 13. The league, wisely, will not have a team play two games in a week, so that means that if any of the 22 teams that have used their bye have a debilitating outbreak, the NFL would either force the team to play with a major influx of practice-squadders OR have to push a game to a potential Week 18 on Jan. 10. Or perhaps not play it. One of the reasons the NFL is considering adding an eighth playoff team per conference at the league’s virtual owners meeting on Tuesday is to account for issues that might arise if two or more contenders do not play a full 16-game schedule.

“Say the seventh seed plays 15 games and is 9-6,” one official involved in these discussions about the extra playoff team told me. “Say there’s an eighth team that goes 9-7. In a seven-team field, the 9-6 team makes it by winning percentage over the 9-7 team. In essence, you’re penalizing the team that played a full schedule and won as many games. This would give some flexibility if there’s an outbreak somewhere.”

On Friday, I looked at the list of positive COVID tests around the NFL from that day—which includes not just the estimated 70 players per team but also the 100 people per team (coaches, trainers, equipment people) who tested positive that day. There were 15. Consider how careful teams are being, and how much they’re policing this. Fifteen seems like a lot. That occurred from Thursday’s testing around the league. Thursday was the first day in the pandemic when more than 120,000 Americans tested positive for the virus. Friday and Saturday also had more than 120,000 positive cases in the U.S. Seven NFL teams play in states that set single-day records for positive COVID tests. Starting QBs Matthew Stafford and Baker Mayfield both have missed or will miss five practice days because of close-contact with a person who tested positive. Stafford was negative for five straight days and thus got to play Sunday at Minnesota. Mayfield, if he’s negative this week, will play Sunday against Houston after missing much of the practice week—like Stafford did.

With the outbreak at a record high, and the byes almost gone, it seems logical to expect real disruption to the schedule soon, either forcing a Week 18 or chipping away at team schedules so they don’t all play 16 games. I’m told adding a Week 18 is more likely, at least as a first option; of course, if a team has to be gone for two weeks or more, Week 18 alone would not cover that. But the thought of continuing to push the season back by adding extra weeks in January is not desirable either.

One interesting point: The Rams have not had a player test positive since the beginning of August, which is pretty amazing—14 weeks without any of the estimated 70 players on the active roster or practice squad getting COVID. How have they achieved this? The Rams, before players reported in late July, constructed a gigantic white tent, with no walls, outside their practice facility in Thousand Oaks, Calif. All in-person team and position-group meetings, weightlifting sessions, and team meals (prepackaged) are held outside. Ninety percent of Rams players’ lives when on site are spent outside. It helps, of course, that Thousand Oaks has had 200 straight days with a temperature of at least 70 degrees. But unquestionably the Rams’ good fortune at avoiding COVID has something to do with being distanced, with masks on, in the open air. Hard for the Bills or Bears or Vikings to do that, of course. But that was a very bright idea by the Rams, deciding to conduct virtually all team business outside. They also, as an aside, made some days (Mondays, for instance) virtual days so players and coaches can be isolated.

Weird year. But I’m betting those who adjust the best, and those who don’t stress over the infinitesimal but important little virus-related rules, will be some of those left standing in January.

Ben Roethlisberger, Vance McDonald, Jerald Hawkins, Jaylen Samuels and Vince Williams placed on the reserve/COVID list.

Ben Roethlisberger, Vance McDonald, Jerald Hawkins, Jaylen Samuels and Vince Williams placed on the reserve/COVID list.
Just for clarification:  at this point only Vance McDonald has tested positive.  The others are on the "high contact" list and will have to test negative Sunday in order to play this week.  

Steelers placed Ben Roethlisberger on the reserve/COVID-19 list. 

Steelers OL Jerald Hawkins, RB Jaylen Samuels, and LB Vince Williams were also put on the reserve/COVID-19 list. Vance McDonald on Monday tested positive after he played 20 snaps in the Steelers' Week 9 win over the Cowboys. Roethlisberger was considered a high-risk close contact of someone who tested positive for the virus, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. He'll have to self isolate for five days. After leaving Sunday's game against Dallas with a knee injury, Roethlisberger can continue his rehab this week. "He must go when there are limited players and personnel and wear appropriate PPE as will medical and training staff," NFL Network's Tom Pelissero said in a Twitter post.  Barring a positive COVID test, Roethlisberger should be able to come off the list on Saturday and play this week against the Bengals. Mason Rudolph should be picked up in deep superflex leagues in the meantime.

- Adam Schefter, Tom Pelissero
Ben Roethlisberger on Sunday's plane ride home from Dallas sat next to Vance McDonald, who has since tested positive for COVID-19.

Roethlisberger's locker is next to McDonald's too. McDonald played in Sunday's win over Dallas before testing positive for COVID-19 on Monday. The Steelers QB will self isolate for the next five days. Unless he tests positive for the virus during the period, Roethlisberger should be able to come off the reserve/COVID-19 list Saturday, just in time for Sunday's game against the Bengals.

- Aditi Kinkhabwala

The NFL reported 56 new COVID-19 cases from November 1-7. 

There were 41 confirmed positive tests among personnel and 15 among players. The Steelers are the latest team to deal with a COVID-19 outbreak that has put Ben Roethlisberger in isolation for the next five days since he was in close contact with Vance McDonald, who has the virus. These numbers could steadily increase as COVID-19 cases explode across the country. 

- Dov Kleiman
Ever since gameday PoCs were approved in Week 6 we are seeing many more instances of players presumably playing games while infected with COVID. Just hope these guys who get it don't progress to the next stage where they get lingering health issues.

The NFL will expand the 2020 postseason from 14 to teams to 16 if "meaningful games are canceled because of COVID-19."

It's a simple revenue trick in the event regular season media windows are lost. The NFL has so far had remarkable luck with the pandemic, but it could be running out. NFL positives are increasing as they skyrocket around the country, particularly in the midwest. Short of full bubbles, it will likely prove impossible to keep the coronavirus at bay. Playoff time could be the zenith of the pandemic in America, so none of this will be easy. As for this new system, teams will not be re-seeded, with division winners still awarded the 1-4 slots. Teams will also be eligible for the postseason even if they play fewer than 16 games, with the league adopting winning percentage instead of win/loss record. 

- Tom Pelissero

The Ravens reported an undisclosed player has tested positive for COVID-19.

Baltimore went a full week without a positive test after CB Marlon Humphrey tested positive for COVID-19, but that streak came to an end Thursday morning. That player immediately began self-quarantine, and the organization entered the league's intensive protocol. There were reportedly no high-risk close contacts.

- Rotoworld

The Browns announced a player tested positive for COVID-19 Friday, and the facility has been shut down to perform contact tracing.

Cleveland is scheduled to host the Texans Sunday at 1 PM ET. The Browns will hold virtual meetings Friday and lose their practice reps for today. The league will determine how to proceed as it pertains to the Texans-Browns game for Week 10.

- Rotoworld

Bucs placed WR Jaydon Mickens on the reserve/COVID-19 list.

Mickens was buried on the receiver depth chart with Antonio Brown reinstated, but this is a downgrade to Tampa's special teams, with Mickens averaging 24.1 yards on kick returns. The Bucs also placed practice squad WR Cyril Grayson on the COVID-19 list.

- Rotoworld

Users who are viewing this thread