What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL and Covid Issues - Initially Asked in Shark Pool To Keep it 100% NFL (2 Viewers)

I give them very low marks on team/player education & handling of COVID-related issues. If a team has an outbreak because they failed to follow protocols, the NFL should WORK WITH THE TEAM to reinforce protocols. For example, players still do not know how to wear a mask. That's insane. I saw 50 examples of this on the sidelines yesterday. 

But they try to handle it with after the fact fines and penalties to make an example of the team. They also practiced the same stupid protocols that caused the outbreak at the White House, in that they believed testing was enough. You can't fine a virus to teach it a lesson. There's a reason the NBA bubble worked. 

The Ravens current ####show is a glaring example of how absolutely terribly the NFL has managed this. The reason they've been able to play through this many weeks isn't because they did a great job - it's because they don't GAF about it unless it jeopardizes a game because then it hurts their bottom line. 

There's absolutely no way they should let this game be played on Tuesday night. Everyone on that Ravens team should be considered an at-risk player for transmission, and the Steelers will very very likely have more cases after they play. 
I have no doubt that the players know how to wear a mask properly.  They just don't due to playing, breathing, being with these guys most days in close quarters so wearing masks for three hours on a sideline probably doesn't seem like a real benefit.  

I have no doubt that the players know how to wear a mask properly.  They just don't due to playing, breathing, being with these guys most days in close quarters so wearing masks for three hours on a sideline probably doesn't seem like a real benefit.  
Well, they’re supposed to be wearing masks now when around each other during the week, so they really shouldn’t be feeling that way.

I think the fact they are testing everyday has given most around the league a false sense of security.

I agree. The sideline stuff is just theater to appease the masses and to craft the image of responsibility.

States Baltimorely

😳

and because you knew it was coming:

They probably should.

Have a few hub cities.  So like first weekend of playoffs you have 6 games (if they stick with the 7 teams in each conference).  So like LA, Vegas, Atlanta.  Each have a game each day of the weekend with 3 games each day.  Saturday/Sunday of 3 playoff games each.  Consolidate to 2 of those cities for the Divisional Round...Stick with 2 cities for conference title games.  That way you are in control of the stadiums and in and out by the "host" team with supervision from the NFL.  Or to really make sure there is no home field advantage use Dallas and ATL for sure since neither of those teams is making the playoffs.

Ensure domes and weather not an advantage/disadvantage to any team.

So a team can have 8 consecutive days with a positive test for covid, but as long as they have 1 consecutive day with all negative tests, then they can have a game the following day?  Well ok.
Depends on which players.  They are supposed to contact trace and 'at risk' players are supposed to quarantine/self isolate.  If the positives have been coming out of the at risk group then the others who have not bbeen isolating should theoretically be good to go if they have continued to test negative throughout the week.

States Baltimorely

😳
I am sure it spread due to practice sessions etc more than the 3 hour game time of not wearing masks.   I just don't think that game time mask wearing has much of an impact when considering all the other contact they have with each other.  

49ers will host the Bills and Washington in the Cardinals' stadium in Weeks 13 and 14 due to COVID-19 restrictions.

Both games were scheduled to be played at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara but local health officials shut down all collegiate and professional sports in the area due to Covid concerns. State Farm Stadium in Arizona has only recently begun allowing friends and family (and not the public) into home games, keeping travel from 49ers fans at bay at this time. There's still a chance the Niners return to Santa Clara for its season finale (and final home game) against the Seahawks on January 3. 

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Nov 30, 2020, 1:11 PM ET

And, you know, prevent massive team-wide outbreaks like Baltimore is experiencing. 

but that’s just crazy talk. Those whacky epidemiologists always saying zany stuff. 
Why do you think it was solely game interactions that lead to the transmission?  They spend much more time during week practicing, meeting, etc that i would venture a guess has more risk of transmission than game day.  They both contribute but I have no doubt players are already exposed if the virus is present on a team.  

Niners/Arizona stadium
Football perspective, this does add two more indoor games for the Niners schedule. 

as someone depending on Mostert at my flex position, I don’t mind that too much. Area weather is bad, but you never know when the storm or wind might roll through.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do you think it was solely game interactions that lead to the transmission?  They spend much more time during week practicing, meeting, etc that i would venture a guess has more risk of transmission than game day.  They both contribute but I have no doubt players are already exposed if the virus is present on a team.  
I don’t think it was solely the game interactions. But the in-game interactions are more unsafe interactions.

More = worse

fewer = better

Every opportunity to mitigate the spread is another opportunity to mitigate the spread. It is what it is.

ETA, man voice to text butchered that one. 

I agree. The sideline stuff is just theater to appease the masses and to craft the image of responsibility.
And, you know, prevent massive team-wide outbreaks like Baltimore is experiencing. 
Baltimore's outbreak had nothing to do with what players and staff did on the sidelines during a game. It was mostly due to things that happened indoors at their practice facility (team meetings, weightroom workouts, etc.) or after-hours.

If you're pointing to a few moments of masklessness on the sidelines, while ignoring the HOURS of masklessness on the field, where players are permitted to breathe all over each other in the huddle and at the line of scrimmage, then it just strengthens the argument that sideline stuff is nothing more than theater for the masses.

Baltimore's outbreak had nothing to do with what players and staff did on the sidelines during a game. It was mostly due to things that happened indoors at their practice facility (team meetings, weightroom workouts, etc.) or after-hours.

If you're pointing to a few moments of masklessness on the sidelines, while ignoring the HOURS of masklessness on the field, where players are permitted to breathe all over each other in the huddle and at the line of scrimmage, then it just strengthens the argument that sideline stuff is nothing more than theater for the masses.
You don’t know any of that for certain. You have no idea when any of the players came into contact with each other or what the vector point was. 

You simply don’t know. Your post is pure speculation. 

You don’t know any of that for certain. You have no idea when any of the players came into contact with each other or what the vector point was. 

I know how probability works and I know there are virtually zero documented cases of COVID being transmitted outdoors with less than 15 minutes of interaction.

This.  Regardless of the players names, the uniform is the same.  It's their biggest rival and a huge division game.  Run it up as much as possible during the first half, and run out the clock in the 2nd half.
Yeah I mean a 1st round bye in the NFL used to be the single biggest advantage in all major sports tourneys and that was when there were two of them up for grabs in each conference. Red hot Chiefs are right on their tail. 

Then why even play the games?
I questioned that before the season started. 

The answer is that a multi-billion dollar business will always prioritize the product over player safety.

hey, remember when concussions were hilarious and there was that “I am Batman” commercial? NFL ran the “you got JACKED UP!” segment? (That was the greatest segment ever, btw) 

Yeah. Then CTE became a thing and all of a sudden the NFL pretended to care about their players.

in short, the answer is, was and shall always be 💵 

💰

💰

💰

Always about the 💰

They could have done a bubble. They had a whole NBA season to determine what the best practice was.

They saw multiple interruptions to MLB but went for that model anyway. Against best practices, against the recommendations of epidemiologists & virologists.  Why?

💰

I know how probability works and I know there are virtually zero documented cases of COVID being transmitted outdoors with less than 15 minutes of interaction.
That is total, cumulative interaction - not 15 minutes consecutively, but 15 minutes throughout the day.  It also is based on 15 minutes of conversational interaction at normal volume levels - in a football game you are typically shouting.  You are also breathing deeply and frequently.  It's comparable to singing - and we know that is a major vector for spreading Covid.  For football players, breathing deeply and frequently and shouting, 5 minutes would be a more reasonable number to use for exposure.

Sitting on the sideline is far more likely to be an issue than playing in the game.  During a game, players are on top of each other for seconds at a time.  On the sideline, players might sit next to each other for an entire drive.  On the field, six feet of separation is common for most of a play.  On the sideline, not so much.

Panthers placed DE Yetur Gross-Matos on the reserve/COVID list.

Gross-Matos is the first player the Panthers have put on the list since cornerback Rasul Douglas on October 23. He made two tackles on 41 defensive snaps during Sunday's loss in Minnesota. He has a chance to return before Carolina's next game in Week 14 against the Broncos.

- Carolina Panthers

There are rumors the Ravens players are refusing to make the trip to Pittsburgh and play the game.  Now the NFL is considering moving the game to later this week?

what a mess

Any insight into how each platform handles a Wednesday game? I gotta think they still call it "Week 12", right? Otherwise potentially you'd have players with two Week 13 games...?

Source says Steelers vs Ravens game postponed to Wednesday per Schefter 
Cause its going to magically get better (meanwhile Denver could have postponed and fielded an actual QB...but went ahead anyway).

They probably should have just played the dang thing on Thanksgiving day.  Probably would have had fewer overall people miss the game.

The Ravens were able to activate a few players off of the COVID list this afternoon. Here's the updated roster:

Red = on COVID list
Green = activated from COVID list
Blue = currently on practice squad (strikethrough = on COVID list)
Positional designations are from team website and other sources.

QB: Lamar Jackson, Robert Griffin III, Trace McSorley, Tyler Huntley
RB: Mark Ingram, Gus Edwards, J.K. Dobbins, Justice Hill, Ty'Son Williams
FB: Patrick Ricard
WR: Willie Snead, Miles Boykin, Dez Bryant, Jaylon Moore
WR: Marquise Brown, Devin Duvernay, James Proche
TE: Mark Andrews, Luke Willson [Q], Sean Culkin, Eric Tomlinson
RT: D.J. Fluker, Jake Rodgers [recent acquisition on exempt list]
RG: Ben Powers, Matt Skura, Tyre Phillips [Q] [activated from IR], R.J. Prince
C: Patrick MeKari, Trystan Colon-Castillo
LG: Bradley Bozeman, Ben Bredeson, Will Holden
LT: Orlando Brown Jr

DT: Calais Campbell, Justin Madubuike, Broderick Washington, Aaron Crawford
NT: Brandon Williams, Justin Ellis
DE: Derek Wolfe [Q], Jihad Ward
RUSH: Yannick Ngakoue, Pernell McPhee, Jaylon Ferguson
MLB: Patrick Queen, Chris Board, Kristian Welch
WLB: L.J. Fort, Malik Harrison, Aaron Adeoye
SAM: Matthew Judon, Tyus Bowser, Chauncey Rivers
LCB: Marcus Peters, Jimmy Smith [Q], Davontae Harris [recent acquisition on exempt list], Nate Brooks
SS: Chuck Clark, Anthony Levine Sr., Nigel Warrior
FS: DeShon Elliott, Jordan Richards, Geno Stone
RCB: Marlon Humphrey, Tramon Williams, Nate Hairston, Pierre Desir

P: Sam Koch
K: Justin Tucker
LS: Morgan Cox, Nick Moore

The Ravens now have as many as 54 eligible players to fill a 48-man gameday roster.

Source says Steelers vs Washington postponed to Monday per Gerry Dulac

@gerrydulac

Steelers-Ravens being moved to Wednesday, time to be determined. Also, Steelers-Washington game being moved to Monday, per sources.

Patriots placed Julian Edelman on the reserve/COVID list.

Edelman is also still on injured reserve and has yet to practice since initially suffering a "bone-on-bone" knee injury back in October. The Patriots will continue to move forward with Jakobi Meyers, Damiere Byrd, and N'Keal Harry in three-wide sets for the foreseeable future. It's unclear if Edelman tested positive or if he was merely moved to the list as a victim of close contact.

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter

Nov 30, 2020, 4:49 PM ET

Also, Steelers-Washington game being moved to Monday, per sources.
The Bills play the Steelers the following weekend, so this move puts Pittsburgh on an unexpectedly short week heading into that game.  PIT will be favored over of BUF regardless -- rightly -- but that's an important game for PIT and KC in terms of playoff seeding.

So Steelers now have to play games on Wednesday, Monday and then Sunday because a Ravens staff member didn’t follow protocol.  Yup that seems fair.

I questioned that before the season started. 

The answer is that a multi-billion dollar business will always prioritize the product over player safety.

hey, remember when concussions were hilarious and there was that “I am Batman” commercial? NFL ran the “you got JACKED UP!” segment? (That was the greatest segment ever, btw) 

Yeah. Then CTE became a thing and all of a sudden the NFL pretended to care about their players.

in short, the answer is, was and shall always be 💵 

💰

💰

💰

Always about the 💰

They could have done a bubble. They had a whole NBA season to determine what the best practice was.

They saw multiple interruptions to MLB but went for that model anyway. Against best practices, against the recommendations of epidemiologists & virologists.  Why?

💰
Bubble was expensive for the NBA and that was a quarter of the people involved for a shorter period of time. Yes owners are greedy but they also aren't going to throw away a couple billion for marginally better safety than what they're doing. 

Yes money is involved. Lots of it. Especially for the players where this is their main means of income for their entire loves earned in a very short period of time. If they didn't play, they don't get paid. 

The MLB model proved effective actually. Some teams got it. Some players got it but overall, they got in a shortened season and held a playoff with no bubble. As far as I can see (via Google) none were hospitalized and most didn't show symptoms. Again supreme athletes in the best shape of their lives are most likely not going to be affected even if they test positive. Even the coaches who are older didn't really show any affects (unless I'm missing something). 

Going into a shell covering ourselves until this all blows over has not be proven to have a large affect on mitigating the virus. The NFL was prudent in implementing the strategy that they have had so far which has only seen one game rescheduled to another week and hasn't resulted in any serious illnesses for the players yet.

A rare Monday Night Football triple-header:

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Gerry Dulac reports the Washington-Steelers Week 13 game has been moved from Sunday to Monday.

Tuesday's scheduled Ravens-Steelers game was postponed another 24 hours to Wednesday evening to assist the Ravens' players about to strike for lack of practice time; that resulted in Sunday's Washington-Steelers game being bumped to Monday night to give Pittsburgh additional time to rest. As it stands (and assuming Dulac's sources are correct), the NFL has walked backward into a Monday night triple-header with Cowboys-Ravens (moved from TNF to Monday afternoon), Bills-49ers, and the aforementioned Washington-Pittsburgh matchup. Stay tuned.

SOURCE: Gerry Dulac on Twitter

Nov 30, 2020, 5:10 PM ET

Bubble was expensive for the NBA and that was a quarter of the people involved for a shorter period of time. Yes owners are greedy but they also aren't going to throw away a couple billion for marginally better safety than what they're doing. 

Yes money is involved. Lots of it. Especially for the players where this is their main means of income for their entire loves earned in a very short period of time. If they didn't play, they don't get paid. 

The MLB model proved effective actually. Some teams got it. Some players got it but overall, they got in a shortened season and held a playoff with no bubble. As far as I can see (via Google) none were hospitalized and most didn't show symptoms. Again supreme athletes in the best shape of their lives are most likely not going to be affected even if they test positive. Even the coaches who are older didn't really show any affects (unless I'm missing something). 

Going into a shell covering ourselves until this all blows over has not be proven to have a large affect on mitigating the virus. The NFL was prudent in implementing the strategy that they have had so far which has only seen one game rescheduled to another week and hasn't resulted in any serious illnesses for the players yet.
Raquel Armstead‘s career may be over as a result of COVID-19.

it was certainly bad enough to not come out for the entire year.

So Steelers now have to play games on Wednesday, Monday and then Sunday because a Ravens staff member didn’t follow protocol.  Yup that seems fair.
Monday to Sunday is no big deal.  Wednesday to Monday is 5 days rest.  It's the same rest they would have had if they had played on Thanksgiving.  I think the Steelers would rather face Washington on 5 days rest vs Baltimore on 5 days rest.  And they have a gimme game on Weds now.  The Steelers are benefiting plenty from this situation.

Raquel Armstead‘s career may be over as a result of COVID-19.

it was certainly bad enough to not come out for the entire year.
The one guy. Ask the rest if they'd still risk it for the pay. Especially when the same thing can happen every week on the field anyway. 

The one guy. Ask the rest if they'd still risk it for the pay. Especially when the same thing can happen every week on the field anyway. 
You said it hasn’t resulted in serious illness for anyone. I was merely pointing out that that was incorrect.

The question shouldn’t be “is it worth it for the players“, nor should it be “is it worth it for the league“… The question should be, what is in the best interest of health and safety. 

they should have spared no expense to play in a bubble and keep all of these players safe. It’s not like the NFL can’t afford that. But stadium owners want television footage of their stadium. Sponsorship deals they have signage hanging on those stadiums depend on it. I The process they chose to play their games was based on greed, not following recommended protocols.

You said it hasn’t resulted in serious illness for anyone. I was merely pointing out that that was incorrect.

The question should be “is it worth it for the players“, nor should it be “is it worth it for the league“… The question should be, what is in the best interest of health and safety. 

they should have spared no expense to play in a bubble and keep all of these players safe. It’s not like the NFL can’t afford that. But stadium owners want television footage of their stadium. Sponsorship deals they have signage hanging on those stadiums depend on it. I The process they chose to play their games was based on greed, not following recommended protocols.
I said many times almost anyone and people come back with Armstead. If that's the only guy who had any ramifications (and it seems like they expect him to make a full recovery for next year) that's a win for the NFL.

How do you know for certain?  You have no idea when any of the players came into contact or where the transmission occurred.  You are assuming it was on the sideline from your statements about the mask wearing deficiencies during games on the sideline.  All of this is speculation and nobody really knows.  From my perspective the wearing of masks on the sideline is just window dressing.  It for sure doesn't hurt anything but I have my doubts of how much it actually helps when compared to the amount of time these guys spend practicing and in meetings throughout any given week.  If anybody has the virus it will get passed on at some point from all that contact.  The prevention really starts with all players/staff being diligent about going from home to practice/games and back home again and not taking unnecessary risks of the store, or clubs or whatever.  

The question shouldn’t be “is it worth it for the players“, nor should it be “is it worth it for the league“… The question should be, what is in the best interest of health and safety. 

In addition Armstead acquired the virus before training camp even started.  Not that it makes any difference to him or the severity but the NFL has not had any direct serious cases during the season.  His has been an isolated case and could have happened in March and had nothing to do with how the NFL handled the situation at all.  

Users who are viewing this thread