What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL and Covid Issues - Initially Asked in Shark Pool To Keep it 100% NFL (1 Viewer)

People get it.  It's going around.  But the Raven's staff member was caught breaking protocol.  To my knowledge, Connor has not been caught breaking protocol.  There is a big difference there and yes the Ravens as a team deserve blame (when one of their employees was the cause of this because of breaking protocol).

Every team has had infections. They didn’t lead to massive breakouts other than Tennessee. The assumption is that’s a reflection of the protocols taken at minimum by the infected person and probably a reflection of the entire team’s attention to detail on that front. Granted it’s a virus and extremely hard to track and we’re dealing in small sample’s here. But it seems reasonable to me to judge a team’s protocol following by the size of their outbreak.
Ya I really disagree here.  How many people got it is irrelevant.  If it was ONLY just the coach who did it, and the team played a game and the whole team got it, then it is only the coaches fault.  If Conner gave it to the whole steelers, he would be equally at fault as the ravens trainer.  Can play the blame game all you want, but from what we know, only 1 ravens staff member was 'at fault".  And what if he just got it from his wife who got it from the supermarket?  The situation is bad, all teams could do better.

Ya I really disagree here.  How many people got it is irrelevant.  If it was ONLY just the coach who did it, and the team played a game and the whole team got it, then it is only the coaches fault.  If Conner gave it to the whole steelers, he would be equally at fault as the ravens trainer.  Can play the blame game all you want, but from what we know, only 1 ravens staff member was 'at fault".  And what if he just got it from his wife who got it from the supermarket?  The situation is bad, all teams could do better.
I guess we'll just agree to disagree.  I work for a pharmaceutical company.  We have a lot of regulations in place (e.g. anti-bribery laws).  If I get caught breaking one of these laws, believe me there are dire penalties for myself and the company.  That's just how it works.   :shrug:   

I guess we'll just agree to disagree.  I work for a pharmaceutical company.  We have a lot of regulations in place (e.g. anti-bribery laws).  If I get caught breaking one of these laws, believe me there are dire penalties for myself and the company.  That's just how it works.   :shrug:   
Ya.  And I'm willing to bet Conner broke a protocol too.  Either way, Steelers luck out from the whole situation, they're going to stomp the RG3 led Ravens.

Ya.  And I'm willing to bet Conner broke a protocol too.  Either way, Steelers luck out from the whole situation, they're going to stomp the RG3 led Ravens.
If Connor got it by breaking protocol, then I completely agree that the Steelers should be punished equally.  But there is no evidence of that.  Clearly this isn't a situation of the Ravens staff member getting it from his wife who visited the supermarket.  Anyways, we're going in circles so I'll stop.  

Give everyone next week off (except steelers/ravens game), push the whole season forward one week.  Let everyone chill for a week and isolate.
why should the 20+ teams that are not having any problems have to take next week off?   I'm still surprised the NFL didn't just plan for a week 18 from the start, but it still would be really easy to push any necessary make up games to a week 18. 

Deamon said:
This isn’t about getting it via breaking protocol because that could happen anywhere. It’s about spreading it to several other players because in the Ravens case the coach who had it didn’t seem to be too great at following protocols. And that’s likely an organization wide fail.

fred_1_15301 said:
If Connor got it by breaking protocol, then I completely agree that the Steelers should be punished equally.  But there is no evidence of that.  Clearly this isn't a situation of the Ravens staff member getting it from his wife who visited the supermarket.  Anyways, we're going in circles so I'll stop.  

This isn’t about getting it via breaking protocol because that could happen anywhere. It’s about spreading it to several other players because in the Ravens case the coach who had it didn’t seem to be too great at following protocols. And that’s likely an organization wide fail.
I don't think you can call it an organizational fail.  Again, we don't know where this dude got it from do we?  He could have been symptom free and tested negative but still had it.  This is going to start happening to many other teams, and I think throwing the blame card is a slippery slope as you could potentially blame every single player who gets the virus for not being careful enough.

But ya we're going in circles.  I usually agree with 99% of what both of you guys normally post so we'll agree to disagree on this one.

I guess this is another point where it hurts Denver to not have an owner or a big-time QB.

Last edited by a moderator:
icehouse said:
Does this mean Conner has a shot to play on Monday. 
It depends on whether Conner has symptoms or not.

IF Conner has symptoms: he must wait at least 10 days after the positive test (that would be Tuesday, December 8th).

IF Conner DOES NOT have symptoms: he can return after 5 days IF he tests negative twice.

Sooooo...no symptoms + negative tests on Friday & Saturday = gets to play on Monday.

I don't think you can call it an organizational fail.  Again, we don't know where this dude got it from do we?  He could have been symptom free and tested negative but still had it.  This is going to start happening to many other teams, and I think throwing the blame card is a slippery slope as you could potentially blame every single player who gets the virus for not being careful enough.

But ya we're going in circles.  I usually agree with 99% of what both of you guys normally post so we'll agree to disagree on this one.
Yeah we’re generally on the same page so I’m good disagreeing and moving on. To be clear I’m not blaming anyone for getting it unless it’s obvious they were being careless. I don’t blame the Ravens players as individuals. When a coach or player is allowed to be careless, and the accounts are this guy was, that’s a fail by the team in not shutting that behavior down. The Titans failed by holding a forbidden practice and the Ravens likely failed by letting this coach be around players without a mask or his tracking device.

So in your estimation the league would have moved the Denver game if they had better ownership and/or Qb? What do you bring to the table to support that? Bear in mind the Ravens outbreak is markedly different from Denver’s.
I don't know what concessions could have made for the Denver situation.  But I do know the league has unfairly acted to mitigate this baltimore situation given their prior precedent.  

To be fair, I'm sure we'd all recognize the Steeler ownership as a "blue blood" and they have gotten the short end of the stick twice

So really what are the odds this game happens on Wednesday at 3:40pm? I think the NFL will do almost anything to make this game happen but positive tests could force their hand

I don't know what concessions could have made for the Denver situation.  But I do know the league has unfairly acted to mitigate this baltimore situation given their prior precedent.  

To be fair, I'm sure we'd all recognize the Steeler ownership as a "blue blood" and they have gotten the short end of the stick twice
The only comparable precedent is Tennessee and their game got moved off it’s scheduled week entirely.

So really what are the odds this game happens on Wednesday at 3:40pm? I think the NFL will do almost anything to make this game happen but positive tests could force their hand
90% chance the game is played, imo. The Ravens have at least 53 active players now; they can field a full lineup with at least one backup for every position (except fullback); and they haven't had a player test positive in over 24 hours.

They won't be able to have a full practice before Wednesday's game, but they'll be able to do a couple walk-throughs with the new starters.

UPDATE: The Ravens activated 2 more players off the COVID list just now (DL Brandon Williams & QB Trace McSorley). However, Williams has an injured ankle and has been ruled OUT for tomorrow's game. Updated roster:

Red = on COVID list
Green = activated from COVID list
Blue = currently on practice squad (strikethrough = on COVID list)
Positional designations are from team website and other sources.

QB: Lamar Jackson, Robert Griffin III, Trace McSorley, Tyler Huntley
RB: Mark Ingram, Gus Edwards, J.K. Dobbins, Justice Hill, Ty'Son Williams
FB: Patrick Ricard
WR: Willie Snead, Miles Boykin, Dez Bryant, Jaylon Moore
WR: Marquise Brown, Devin Duvernay, James Proche
TE: Mark Andrews, Luke Willson [Q], Sean Culkin, Eric Tomlinson
RT: D.J. Fluker [Q], Jake Rodgers [recent acquisition on exempt list]
RG: Ben Powers, Matt Skura, Tyre Phillips [Q] [activated from IR], R.J. Prince
C: Patrick MeKari, Trystan Colon-Castillo
LG: Bradley Bozeman, Ben Bredeson, Will Holden
LT: Orlando Brown Jr

DT: Calais Campbell, Justin Madubuike, Broderick Washington, Aaron Crawford
NT: Brandon Williams [off COVID list but listed as OUT due to injury], Justin Ellis
DE: Derek Wolfe [Q], Jihad Ward
RUSH: Yannick Ngakoue, Pernell McPhee, Jaylon Ferguson
MLB: Patrick Queen, Chris Board, Kristian Welch
WLB: L.J. Fort, Malik Harrison, Aaron Adeoye
SAM: Matthew Judon, Tyus Bowser, Chauncey Rivers
LCB: Marcus Peters, Jimmy Smith [Q], Davontae Harris [recent acquisition on exempt list], Nate Brooks
SS: Chuck Clark, Anthony Levine Sr., Nigel Warrior
FS: DeShon Elliott, Jordan Richards, Geno Stone
RCB: Marlon Humphrey, Tramon Williams, Nate Hairston, Pierre Desir

P: Sam Koch
K: Justin Tucker
LS: Morgan Cox, Nick Moore

The Ravens now have as many as 54 eligible players to fill a 48-man gameday roster, with 2 more players (Ingram and Dobbins) eligible to be activated tomorrow.

Even though Dobbins and Ingram are eligible to be activated doesn’t guarantee they will play per Tom Pelissero 

“RBs J.K. Dobbins and Mark Ingram are both eligible to be activated Wednesday, but it's not a given either will play. They've been isolated since testing positive Nov. 22 and, as noted earlier, aren't allowed to fly on the team plane tonight.”

Link

@AdamSchefter

Baltimore’s team flight is leaving, game is still on, but the Ravens did have two more positive tests today, per sources. It is thought to be one player, one staff, and in the words of one source “not unexpected and not a concern for the game.”

Link

@AdamSchefter

Baltimore’s team flight is leaving, game is still on, but the Ravens did have two more positive tests today, per sources. It is thought to be one player, one staff, and in the words of one source “not unexpected and not a concern for the game.”

Link
This seems insane. The player practiced with the team Monday and Tuesday! How can this game proceed??

This seems insane. The player practiced with the team Monday and Tuesday! How can this game proceed??
The same way they all have been. Game should have been played Sunday or at least Monday. Delaying it doesn't guarantee less positives will happen. 

Ravens DB Geno Stone tested positive for COVID-19 on Tuesday.

A staff member also tested positive. It was previously reported the Ravens had no new positive tests. Stone was placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list and will miss the next two weeks. Wednesday's Ravens-Steelers game remains on track to be played.
It's my understanding that they were already marked previously as close contacts and isolated 'away from the team''. Trying to find the link to confirm that.

Insein said:
The same way they all have been. Game should have been played Sunday or at least Monday. Delaying it doesn't guarantee less positives will happen. 
This game is not like the others. Players tested positive for a week and still are. No way should this game be played. 

I think there's some confusion about that story. He can be at practices but isolated away from the team since he was deemed a close contact. There's no way he actually practiced with the team being a close contact, it would be a rules violation.

I think there's some confusion about that story. He can be at practices but isolated away from the team since he was deemed a close contact. There's no way he actually practiced with the team being a close contact, it would be a rules violation.
Like a S & C coach not masking up?  

Like a S & C coach not masking up?  
Sure. Or the staff that allowed that to happen. I can understand not knowing that a person had symptoms but how are people allowed in buildings without masks in NFL practice facilities? How is it that nobody above this guy called him out? No players or other coaches? How is this the NFL and a dude can just roll in without a mask? That's not just his failure that is failure of all his peers, too. When people get slaps on the wrist at worst, behavior doesn't change. Starting Hinton was more than a slap on the wrist, and although people want to say the NFL is bending over backwards to help the Ravens, the truth is the Ravens are feeling the consequences of their actions. It's not just this SC coach, it is the enablers around him that helped create this. They're (presumably) about to get curb stomped today and will feel it acutely. 

Just think, the unbelievably simple and inexpensive act of wearing a mask and staying home if sick, would have prevented *100%* of this. Denver could have got curbstomped with Lock under center and the Ravens could have got curbstomped on Thanksgiving with a full roster (aside from regular injuries), and nobody would be talking about any of this. 

*this post got away from me a little, it's not directed at you at all, Bayhawks, just chose your quote as a jump point*

Sure. Or the staff that allowed that to happen. I can understand not knowing that a person had symptoms but how are people allowed in buildings without masks in NFL practice facilities? How is it that nobody above this guy called him out? No players or other coaches? How is this the NFL and a dude can just roll in without a mask? That's not just his failure that is failure of all his peers, too. When people get slaps on the wrist at worst, behavior doesn't change. Starting Hinton was more than a slap on the wrist, and although people want to say the NFL is bending over backwards to help the Ravens, the truth is the Ravens are feeling the consequences of their actions. It's not just this SC coach, it is the enablers around him that helped create this. They're (presumably) about to get curb stomped today and will feel it acutely. 

Just think, the unbelievably simple and inexpensive act of wearing a mask and staying home if sick, would have prevented *100%* of this. Denver could have got curbstomped with Lock under center and the Ravens could have got curbstomped on Thanksgiving with a full roster (aside from regular injuries), and nobody would be talking about any of this. 

*this post got away from me a little, it's not directed at you at all, Bayhawks, just chose your quote as a jump point*
The problem is that tight knit groups (like football teams) that do so much together makes it easy to slack on some of the precautions.  You treat the situation as what is this mask going to do since I spend 60-80 hrs with these guys in close contact all the time anyway.  Nobody is sick so nobody will get sick.  The problem comes in when one of those guys does something stupid outside the normal envelope and then brings in the virus.  It's easy to be lazy when you are around the same people all the time and you have the expectations that everyone is treating it as seriously as you.  But it only takes one.

ETA:  Do you wear masks around your immediate family members at home all the time?  I imagine a pro team feels that their teammates/coahces/staff are a family and treat it a lot like that.  

Steelers place center Maurkice Pouncey on the Covid-19 list.  Apparently he is the only one tested positive (or in close contact) so game is on for this afternoon

The Ravens have promoted 10 players from the Practice Squad to the gameday roster, and it also looks like Ingram and Dobbins were not activated. I haven't been able to find an official gameday roster yet, but it looks like the lineup will be as follows:

Red = on COVID list
Green = activated from COVID list
Purple = activated from the Practice Squad
Blue = currently on Practice Squad
Strikethrough = inactive for today's game
Positional designations are from team website and other sources.

QB: Lamar Jackson, Robert Griffin III, Trace McSorley, Tyler Huntley
RB: Mark Ingram, Gus Edwards, J.K. Dobbins, Justice Hill, Ty'Son Williams
FB: Patrick Ricard
WR: Willie Snead, Miles Boykin, Dez Bryant, Jaylon Moore
WR: Marquise Brown, Devin Duvernay, James Proche
TE: Mark Andrews, Luke Willson, Sean Culkin, Eric Tomlinson
RT: D.J. Fluker, Jake Rodgers
RG: Ben Powers, Matt Skura, Tyre Phillips, R.J. Prince
C: Patrick MeKari, Trystan Colon-Castillo
LG: Bradley Bozeman, Ben Bredeson, Will Holden
LT: Orlando Brown Jr

DT: Calais Campbell, Justin Madubuike, Broderick Washington, Aaron Crawford
NT: Brandon Williams, Justin Ellis
DE: Derek Wolfe, Jihad Ward
RUSH: Yannick Ngakoue, Pernell McPhee, Jaylon Ferguson
MLB: Patrick Queen, Chris Board, Kristian Welch
WLB: L.J. Fort, Malik Harrison, Aaron Adeoye
SAM: Matthew Judon, Tyus Bowser, Chauncey Rivers
LCB: Marcus Peters, Jimmy Smith, Davontae Harris, Nate Brooks
SS: Chuck Clark, Anthony Levine Sr., Nigel Warrior
FS: DeShon Elliott, Jordan Richards, Geno Stone
RCB: Marlon Humphrey, Tramon Williams, Nate Hairston, Pierre Desir

P: Sam Koch
K: Justin Tucker
LS: Morgan Cox, Nick Moore

The problem is that tight knit groups (like football teams) that do so much together makes it easy to slack on some of the precautions.  You treat the situation as what is this mask going to do since I spend 60-80 hrs with these guys in close contact all the time anyway.  Nobody is sick so nobody will get sick.  The problem comes in when one of those guys does something stupid outside the normal envelope and then brings in the virus.  It's easy to be lazy when you are around the same people all the time and you have the expectations that everyone is treating it as seriously as you.  But it only takes one.

ETA:  Do you wear masks around your immediate family members at home all the time?  I imagine a pro team feels that their teammates/coahces/staff are a family and treat it a lot like that.  
I think they treat it like that, too. But it's an insane comparison. There are 4 people in my home, 2 of which don't get to interact with anyone, my wife and I do but we wear masks when we venture out for work or errands. We have only had two outsiders come into our home in 9 months, and they wore masks and made a bee line to the back yard where we social distanced. Ravens have what maybe 100 staff and players, maybe more, coming in and out of a work facility (not their home) on a daily basis? That's 1000s of possible vectors in a populated workspace compared to a couple of possible vectors for one household. No we don't wear masks at home but we're not talking about what people are doing at home, we're talking about at work. Couldn't be more apples to oranges, however I agree with the basic premise that this family unit ideal is where they're coming from, and letting their guard down, etc. It is easy to do, though, and I'd be remiss if I said I was perfect about these things all the time. I haven't been. And that's why it takes leadership and setting good examples, *with* enforcement, because even people that want and try to do the right thing, still mess up. Leaders are needed, and culpable. If this guy was allowed into the building without properly wearing a mask (and he is probably one of hundreds that have been doing so across the league), then that is a failure of leadership, not just the guy. Anyway that's my piece. I think everyone shares the blame. But if I was going to point fingers I would point it at that guy's boss. Nobody should ever be maskless indoors in the workplace around others in that fashion. 

Raiders placed LB Tanner Muse on the reserve/COVID-19 list. 

The No. 100 overall pick has been on injured reserve all season with a toe injury.

- Rotoworld
Actually someone on the Broncos and another player were put on the list but I can't find the story.

Giants placed RB Devonta Freeman on the reserve/COVID-19 list.

Freeman is already on I.R. with ankle and hamstring injuries, but he's ben eligible to be activated. That won't be the case. If Freeman tested positive, he'll be sidelined a minimum of 10 days. In Freeman's absence, Wayne Gallman has become an every-week RB2 with six touchdowns over the last five weeks. He gets the Seahawks in Week 13.

- Rotoworld

Starting to think this Baltimore Pittsburgh game season has become a slight fiasco

-QG
Agreed.

And if anyone disagrees with me please watch the Saints vs broncos game from start to finish before you post how the nfl is "actually handling this season pretty well.... (*)".

Users who are viewing this thread