What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL and Covid Issues - Initially Asked in Shark Pool To Keep it 100% NFL (2 Viewers)

so... are we to infer that because they went ahead with the Browns/Jets game, that the Browns should be back to full strength next weekend?

anyone having any luck reading the tea leaves these days?

Titans placed P Brett Kern on the reserve/COVID-19 list.

Hopefully this does not portend more coronavirus issues for the Titans. Kern missed time earlier this season, and his Week 10 absence against the Colts led directly to a Titans loss after his fill-in performed disastrously. 

Rams placed WR Cooper Kupp on the reserve/COVID-19 list. 

Good grief. It is unknown if Kupp is merely a "close contact" or COVID positive himself. If it's the latter, he will be inactive for Sunday's essentially must-win game against the Cardinals. He would be joining Jared Goff, Darrell Henderson and likely Cam Akers on the shelf, leaving deer-in-headlights starter John Wolford without his No. 2 weapon. It would also leave Kupp 26 yards shy of 1,000 on the season. We will get a better idea of Kupp's status over the next 24 hours. 

Browns placed TE Harrison Bryant on the reserve/COVID-19 list. 

S Andrew Sendejo will join him. We don't know if the players are "close contacts" or COVID positive themselves, but this certainly raises questions about whether the Browns' coronavirus situation is contained ahead of Sunday's must-win game against the Steelers. With the entire receiver corps out, rookie Bryant caught 3-of-7 targets for 37 yards against the Jets in Week 16. He will be off the DFS radar if he gets cleared for the finale. 

Last edited by a moderator:
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Browns had no new positives from the latest round of COVID-19 testing.

The Browns had LB Malcolm Smith, TE Harrison Bryant and CB Denzel Ward all test positive this week. There were no new cases after the team cancelled practice Thursday. The Browns can clinch a playoff spot with a win over the Steelers in Week 17.

SOURCE: NFL Network

Jan 1, 2021, 10:41 AM ET

Alvin Kamara tested positive for COVID today. Conflicting reports on whether or not he’s had a second test to confirm.

Buccaneers placed Shaq Barrett on the reserve/COVID list.

Tampa Bay simultaneously placed Devin White on the list, too. Barrett, who's tied for fourth in the NFL with 40 quarterback pressures, and White, the only player in the NFL with at least 100 tackles and nine sacks, won't be available against the Falcons despite the top Wild Card seed still being up for grabs. White, the Buccaneers' leading tackler and only player in the NFL with at least 100 tackles and nine sacks, won't be available either. At this point, the organization is simply hoping to have both back in time for the Wild Card round. It's a massive loss for the Bucs' defense, which will be forced to stop Matt Ryan and Calvin Ridley without two of its top pass rushers.

Also one note on the Kamara COVID-19 designation (he did test positive); that automatically means he's out the Wild Card Round. First huge COVID-19 causality of the playoffs.

Also one note on the Kamara COVID-19 designation (he did test positive); that automatically means he's out the Wild Card Round. First huge COVID-19 causality of the playoffs.
Time for goodell to dust off his ouija board. Sounds like it's time for the NFL to make up some new covid rules and schedules on the fly.

I think that's only true if he has symptoms.  If without symptoms, he could play after having 2 negative tests.

Per roto-world he could possible come back for a wild card game on Sunday - but not on Saturday (assuming he is asymptomatic and receives clearances).

-QG

Oh my Jay Glazer on twitter reporting the entire Saints RB room is now out as close contacts.  They are gonna have to roll with Ty Montgomery and practice squad call-ups apparently

Linky

-QG

Joe Haden positive test for Steelers - others could miss game depending on contact tracing

Hope Haden is okay - Covid really wreaking havoc on the AFC playoff race to the detriment of the Dolphins and Colts

-QG
Whelp there's the 2nd domino.

Steelers placed TE Eric Ebron on the COVID-19 list.

He'll be joined by CB Joe Haden and LB Cassius Marsh. ESPN's Dan Graziano reports Haden was a positive and the other two were deemed high-risk close contacts. Hopefully the Steelers aren't dealing with a coronavirus outbreak right before the playoffs. The team will be closing out the regular season with a meaningless game against the Browns. Ben Roethlisberger, T.J. Watt, and other starters will be resting.

Bills TE Tyler Kroft tested positive for COVID-19.

Any player testing positive is big news with the playoffs just a week away. Kroft will be ineligible to play in Week 17 and in the Wild Card Round. Hopefully the Bills followed protocols, and Kroft's positive is controlled. Dawson Knox has seen an uptick in usage while John Brown has been sidelined. When everyone is healthy, the Bills may want to use four receivers and zero tight ends.

- Buffalo Bills

Part of me is already jonesing without meaningful fantasy football on the line but a big part of me is flat relieved to not be dealing with this mess right now. Is it just me or is this suddenly getting way out of hand? Could it be players letting their guards down a little around the holidays or a sign of the what's to come the next few weeks? I don't know but the playoffs are getting massively impacted right now with stuff like Haden and Saints RB's possibly missing a game which might be ROS.

The holiday infection rate was supposed to be pretty bad going by the experts since everyone was traveling at once. The chance that you could do everything right and still get infected because a group of people aren't go up now. It's why I was kinda surprised NFL didn't mandate localized bubbles for the postseason if they're going to have more people in the stands for the playoffs. The NCAA Tourney isn't playing around.

Part of me is already jonesing without meaningful fantasy football on the line but a big part of me is flat relieved to not be dealing with this mess right now. Is it just me or is this suddenly getting way out of hand? Could it be players letting their guards down a little around the holidays or a sign of the what's to come the next few weeks? I don't know but the playoffs are getting massively impacted right now with stuff like Haden and Saints RB's possibly missing a game which might be ROS.
I don't know how we can say it's "suddenly" getting out of hand in a season where the Broncos were forced to play a game with no QB; the Browns lost their entire WR corps 24 hours before kickoff in a game; and the Titans had one game postponed 4 times.  It's been a messy season, but that mirrors our societal situation.

I don't know how we can say it's "suddenly" getting out of hand in a season where the Broncos were forced to play a game with no QB; the Browns lost their entire WR corps 24 hours before kickoff in a game; and the Titans had one game postponed 4 times.  It's been a messy season, but that mirrors our societal situation.
And yet by 11:30pm tomorrow, every game will have been played. I'd say that's a big success for the season. 

Cardinals placed Christian Kirk on the reserve/COVID-19 list.

Kirk will miss the Cardinals' must-win Week 17 game against the Rams. To put things mildly, the Cardinals are in a very tough spot on Sunday. Kyler Murray will be playing through a leg injury, DeAndre Hopkins will face star CB Jalen Ramsey, Kirk is out, and both Larry Fitzgerald and Chase Edmonds are game-time decisions. Luckily for Arizona, the Rams won't have Jared Goff and Cooper Kupp. 
EDIT:

And yet by 11:30pm tomorrow, every game will have been played. I'd say that's a big success for the season. 
D-Day was also a success for the Allies. Didn't mean it wasn't a horribly bloody battle.

EDIT:

D-Day was also a success for the Allies. Didn't mean it wasn't a horribly bloody battle.
To my knowledge no one died from the NFL this year and I think only 2 were even hospitalized due to covid (1 player and one elderly coach) . I don't think DDay is a useful analogy at all. It does disservice to everyone.

Incredible success. 

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1345745281053286401?s=20

After the latest round of testing, the NFL is on track to play all 16 games today, per source. And that means that, after today, the NFL will have completed its full 256-game regular season without a single cancellation.
It was bumpy at times for sure. But this is a pretty incredible feat. Well done NFL. 

Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski tested positive for COVID-19, along with two other coaches and two players. 

The Browns, headed into their first playoff game since 2002, will be without their head coach. Special Teams Coordinator Mike Priefer will take over as acting head coach. Offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt will call plays on Sunday against Pittsburgh. The team canceled practice last week after a member of its coaching staff, LB Malcolm Smith, TE Harrison Bryant, and CB Denzel Ward all tested positive for the virus. Stefanski missing this weekend's playoff game puts the team at a considerable disadvantage as they prepare for the Steelers.

- Cleveland Browns Twitter

Browns LG Joel Bitonio and WR KhaDarel Hodge tested positive for COVID-19. 

Neither play will be available for the Browns' playoff game against Pittsburgh. Bitonio constitutes an outsized loss for Cleveland against the Steelers' front seven. He was the second best pass blocking guard in the NFL this season, per Pro Football Focus grades. Bitonio is a key part of an offensive line that gave Baker Mayfield -- one of the least pressured quarterbacks in the league -- a clean pocket throughout the season. They'll also be without rotational WR Hodge. 

RELATED: 

KhaDarel Hodge

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter 

Jan 5, 2021, 11:46 AM ET

He came into contact with the Pittsburgh coaching staff right? Do they need to quarantine?
The deal with them having facilities closed until pretty soon before the game, playing the game, and then getting these positive results has to be of concern to the Steelers though in terms of the ruled unless they chilled with each other for 15 minutes before or after the game that is a negatory.

-QG

To my knowledge no one died from the NFL this year and I think only 2 were even hospitalized due to covid (1 player and one elderly coach) . I don't think DDay is a useful analogy at all. It does disservice to everyone.
If you're focusing on player hospitalizations you're using the wrong metrics.

I think folks are just trying to keep us focused on the actual issues facing us during the pandemic, and not getting distracted. Clearly we took our eyes off the ball, for whatever reason, and we need to refocus quickly. The NFL is just a reflection of society, as has been said many times.

If you're focusing on player hospitalizations you're using the wrong metrics.

I think folks are just trying to keep us focused on the actual issues facing us during the pandemic, and not getting distracted. Clearly we took our eyes off the ball, for whatever reason, and we need to refocus quickly. The NFL is just a reflection of society, as has been said many times.
I literally have no idea what you're talking about. 

Did any of the 32 teams make it through the regular season with zero COVID cases?

If not, which teams had the fewest?

Did any of the 32 teams make it through the regular season with zero COVID cases?

If not, which teams had the fewest?
Looks like Seattle had none as of the beginning of December. Every other team had at least one but it looks like. Washington and Tampa seemed to do the next best. A majority of the teams looks like they kept the total numbers under 5 except for about 5 or 6 of them. Overall a pretty resounding success. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/Sports/wireStory/virus-toll-32-nfl-teams-hit-covid-19-74557302

He said if you're focusing on player hospitalizations you're using the wrong metrics.
Isnt that what this is all about? Preventing people from getting sick? There are plenty of elderly employees in the NFL (coaches, trainers, etc) and by and large none of them went to the hospital. That's something to be celebrated. Other leagues should look at the NFL model and try to mimic it. They didn't spend billions on a bubble and ended up completing the entire season with minimal impact.

KellysHeroes said:
Dwayne Haskins: Photo of him maskless with some ladies however tests negative = Public Enemy Number One, Fined $40k and released

Alvin Kamara: Photo of him maskless with some ladies and test positive, possible infecting a half dozen players... Nah its fine, he scores touchdowns
If you can play, you get away. 

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports there were no new positives for the Browns in Tuesday's round of COVID-19 testing.

The Browns didn't have any high risk close contacts after coach Kevin Stefanski and two players tested positive. They'll do a virtual walkthrough Wednesday but should return to their practice facility later this week. Special Teams coordinator Mike Priefer will act as the head coach for Sunday night's Wild Card matchup with the Steelers. Offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt is expected to call plays.

SOURCE: ESPN

Jan 6, 2021, 11:40 AM ET

KellysHeroes said:
Dwayne Haskins: Photo of him maskless with some ladies however tests negative = Public Enemy Number One, Fined $40k and released

Alvin Kamara: Photo of him maskless with some ladies and test positive, possible infecting a half dozen players... Nah its fine, he scores touchdowns
Kamara should be fined as well and suspended for the rest of the playoffs. 

Users who are viewing this thread