What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL and Covid Issues - Initially Asked in Shark Pool To Keep it 100% NFL (1 Viewer)

Interesting how this progressed. 

Players were told to get vax'd, test less frequent and you wont miss a game or a paycheck.

Now there is a proposal for daily tests for everyone. Vax players can miss games (paychecks?)

I understand their frustration with the situation. 

Interesting how this progressed. 

Players were told to get vax'd, test less frequent and you wont miss a game or a paycheck.

Now there is a proposal for daily tests for everyone. Vax players can miss games (paychecks?)

I understand their frustration with the situation. 
Since it's the NFLPA that has proposed this and not the NFL, I believe player reps and union leadership have some serious things to discuss.

Since it's the NFLPA that has proposed this and not the NFL, I believe player reps and union leadership have some serious things to discuss.

Seems like a no win to me. Players concerned with Covid probably want everyone tested now. Players who took the vaccine just to be in regulation are probably annoyed. 

Vax'd players missing games is bad. Missing paychecks is unacceptable. Almost strike worthy. 

Seems like a no win to me. Players concerned with Covid probably want everyone tested now. Players who took the vaccine just to be in regulation are probably annoyed. 

Vax'd players missing games is bad. Missing paychecks is unacceptable. Almost strike worthy. 
Anybody who took it just to be in regulation should be grateful not annoyed.  I’m not doubting they may be annoyed.

The cynic in me says that the taking game checks is all for show. They're trying to act tough for the public to prove they mean business with Covid. 

Part of me kind of wishes to see the #### show they unleash when a team that has no positive tests misses a game check for a team that has a few positive tests but no symptoms. 

Sober people still get into car accidents. It doesn't follow that driving drunk is a reasonable idea.
Comparing not getting a vaccine to drunk drivering is pretty good propaganda. Makes dumb people think you're right because they don't want to be compared to bad thing. 

However, a car is not a virus. A car is a vehicle that is controlled by a driver. Whether you are drunk or sober, a vehicle can be controlled well or poorly by the driver. A virus is not controllable by its host. We can't decide to be infected and we can't tell the virus to infect others by our own will.

A better analogy would be if it's rainy. If people don't want to get rained on, they can stay inside. They can also use an umbrella to lessen the chance of getting rained on. 

To say the unvaccinated are like drunk drivers is like saying you're getting rained on because other people don't want to stay inside or use umbrellas.

Comparing not getting a vaccine to drunk drivering is pretty good propaganda. Makes dumb people think you're right because they don't want to be compared to bad thing. 

However, a car is not a virus. A car is a vehicle that is controlled by a driver. Whether you are drunk or sober, a vehicle can be controlled well or poorly by the driver. A virus is not controllable by its host. We can't decide to be infected and we can't tell the virus to infect others by our own will.

A better analogy would be if it's rainy. If people don't want to get rained on, they can stay inside. They can also use an umbrella to lessen the chance of getting rained on. 

To say the unvaccinated are like drunk drivers is like saying you're getting rained on because other people don't want to stay inside or use umbrellas.
:goodposting:

WSB-Channel 2 Atlanta's Zach Klein reports the Falcons are the first and only NFL team to have a 100% vaccination rate.

Every player and personnel member (coaching staff included) are reportedly vaccinated ahead of the regular season, becoming the first and only NFL franchise to reach that significant milestone. More teams are expected to announce as much as training camp cuts continue to stack throughout the summer.

- Zach Klein, Twitter

Last edited by a moderator:
Sober people still get into car accidents. It doesn't follow that driving drunk is a reasonable idea.

Is this analogous?   Would love to see the numbers of young healthy (unbelievably healthy) people having serious issues with covid.  I would imagine it is somewhere more along the lines of arguing whether winning the lottery or getting struck by lighting is a more reasonable likelihood.

Is this analogous?   Would love to see the numbers of young healthy (unbelievably healthy) people having serious issues with covid.  I would imagine it is somewhere more along the lines of arguing whether winning the lottery or getting struck by lighting is a more reasonable likelihood.
My understanding is that the Delta variety is far more dangerous to young people than the previous versions. 

My understanding is that the Delta variety is far more dangerous to young people than the previous versions. 
No.  It's just more contagious.   
This question isn't totally settled, but this is most likely correct.

Imagine that Covid has a 1% hospitalization rate and 0.2% death rate among young people. So if 100 people get it, one goes to the hospital and nobody dies. Now, Delta comes along and is five times as contagious, but the virulence remains constant. So 500 people get it, five go to the hospital and one of them dies. The overall risk to young people has gone up significantly, but the risk to any individual who tests positive is unchanged.

Of course, the NFL also has to worry about spread among coaches and team employees, most of whom are not 20-something elite athletes

Imagine that Covid has a 1% hospitalization rate and 0.2% death rate among young people. So if 100 people get it, one goes to the hospital and nobody dies. Now, Delta comes along and is five times as contagious, but the virulence remains constant. So 500 people get it, five go to the hospital and one of them dies. The overall risk to young people has gone up significantly, but the risk to any individual who tests positive is unchanged.
Extrapolating this a bit further, if 50,000 get a more contagious version, at some point you may also have limited resources to deal with those who become sick (ventilators, ICU beds). The consequence may be more deaths, even if the underlying disease was no more dangerous.

Just to copy and paste one thing:

”On June 11, Public Health England released a report finding that there was "significantly increased risk of hospitalization" from Delta as compared with Alpha.[103] On June 14, researchers from Public Health Scotland found that the risk of hospitalization from Delta was roughly double that of from Alpha.[104]”

For some reason I can't say that I am surprised that Jay Cutler is an anti-masker. 

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1428476871860183051

Ex-NFL player Jay Cutler lost an ad deal with Uber Eats over his views about wearing masks.

Uber: "We are proud of all the work Uber has done … to help get as many people vaccinated as possible. As such, we prefer to partner with those who support that."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/jay-cutler-cut-uber-eats-ads-over-anti-mask-views-n1276922

For some reason I can't say that I am surprised that Jay Cutler is an anti-masker. 

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1428476871860183051

Ex-NFL player Jay Cutler lost an ad deal with Uber Eats over his views about wearing masks.

Uber: "We are proud of all the work Uber has done … to help get as many people vaccinated as possible. As such, we prefer to partner with those who support that."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/jay-cutler-cut-uber-eats-ads-over-anti-mask-views-n1276922
Of course it’s not surprising. He won’t even come out against smoking

Jay Cutler doesn't smoke - that is a photoshop meme.
That's what the anti-smoking zealots want you to believe. BuT dO YoUr rESeArCh! Watch the 30 YouTube videos I linked to on page 17 of this thread (each of them is only 90 minutes long) featuring one of the inventors of Photoshop in conversation with one of the inventors of cigarettes and then come back here and tell me if you still think those Cutler memes are fake.

That's what the anti-smoking zealots want you to believe. BuT dO YoUr rESeArCh! Watch the 30 YouTube videos I linked to on page 17 of this thread (each of them is only 90 minutes long) featuring one of the inventors of Photoshop in conversation with one of the inventors of cigarettes and then come back here and tell me if you still think those Cutler memes are fake.
Im waiting til that Dilbert guy tells me what to think.

“Titans coach Mike Vrabel announced that he has tested positive for COVID-19.

Vrabel is currently in quarantine. He added that no other Tennessee coaches tested positive for COVID-19. The Titans just returned from their joint practices and preseason game against the Buccaneers. Vaccinated players and staff are able to return after two negative COVID-19 tests that are 24 hours apart. Unvaccinated players are forced to quarantine for 10 days and must also test negative before returning. Vrabel will stay involved with his team through Zoom while assistants Jim Haslett and Jim Schwartz take on larger roles in practices.”

Interesting analysis here from Peter King's FMIA: 10 Things I Think About

4. I think this was the most insightful thing I heard in the last week, from a smart football person about those players not vaccinated: “We’re not educating all the people we need to be educating. You cannot believe the influence the wives have over these players, in so many cases. They might leave the facility thinking they’re gonna get vaccinated, but they go home, and their wives are adamantly against it. The NFL hasn’t done a good job overall in educating the families—the wives especially, but also the dads in some cases are really influential. So the players hear one thing in the facility and another thing at home, and so often when they choose not to get it, it’s like they’re being publicly shamed over it. Just not a good situation.” One other thing: Everyone can find an expert to reinforce whatever decision they make, to take the shot or not to take it. Or five experts. If I’m a coach or GM, I wave the white flag and say, Okay, time to coach football. We’ll move on and take the consequences, whatever they may be.
The wife/dad example probably has went both ways, but yeah; at a certain point you've given all the education you possibly can and just have to move on with football and follow protocols as best as possible.

I don't care what Jay Cutler thinks about anything other than how to read a defense.  That said, there's nothing wrong with being opposed to masking school-aged kids.  That's a perfectly fine, normal view that seems to be in line with most of our European peer countries.  

Jaguars placed DL Josh Allen on the reserve/COVID-19 list. 

Allen could be back within a few days if he's fully vaccinated. Allen has 13 sacks in 24 games with Jacksonville since the start of the 2019 season. He missed half the 2020 season with a knee injury that was not considered long term.

- Ian Rappoport, Twitter
Cam Newton won't be allowed in the Patriots facility until Thursday after a COVID-19 test "misunderstanding." 

Newton left the New England region this weekend for a medical appointment and will now be required to stay away from the team facility until Thursday. In a statement, the Patriots said Newton was tested daily for COVID-19 but there was a "misunderstanding about tests conducted away from NFL facilities." That he was tested daily means Newton is not vaccinated against COVID. League protocols -- with sign off from the players' union -- say Newton can't re-enter a team building for five days upon his return. His absence will give Mac Jones plenty of first-team reps as the rookie angles for the Week 1 starter gig.

- Field Yates, Twitter
I am shocked another NFL player didn't talk to reps/higher-ups about knowing protocols. SHOCKED I SAY!!!

Tom Pelissero@TomPelissero

The #Vikings are bringing in renowned epidemiologist and infectious disease expert Dr. Michael Osterholm to speak to the team today, I'm told. Minnesota’s vaccination rate among players has lagged behind other NFL teams and coach Mike Zimmer has been vocal about his frustration.

7:11 AM · Aug 23, 2021·TweetDeck

Seems like pissing in the wind to me, but best of luck with this Mike.

Why would Kirk Cousins care to listen to an epidemiologist and infectious disease expert when he has access to so many such experts on facebook and twitter, not to mention at his church?

Hot Sauce Guy said:
“Titans coach Mike Vrabel announced that he has tested positive for COVID-19.

Vrabel is currently in quarantine. He added that no other Tennessee coaches tested positive for COVID-19. The Titans just returned from their joint practices and preseason game against the Buccaneers. Vaccinated players and staff are able to return after two negative COVID-19 tests that are 24 hours apart. Unvaccinated players are forced to quarantine for 10 days and must also test negative before returning. Vrabel will stay involved with his team through Zoom while assistants Jim Haslett and Jim Schwartz take on larger roles in practices.”
The NFL policy is dumb.

ummm... are things picking up now?

Cowboys placed WR CeeDee Lamb on the reserve/COVID-list.

Lamb is joined by safeties Malik Hooker and Israel Mukuamu. The Cowboys placed defensive coordinator Dan Quinn and defensive tackle Carlos Watkins on the COVID list late last week. Vaccinated players must two negative tests 24 hours apart in order to return. With the Cowboys previously being reported to be near a 100 percent vaccination rate, it's likely that none of their players will stay on the COVID list for long.
I haven't been updating this but there seems to be a lot of cases.

Users who are viewing this thread