What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL and Covid Issues - Initially Asked in Shark Pool To Keep it 100% NFL (4 Viewers)

Very likely this is a thing on every team (and I'm sure at many bars, restaurants, etc where people show a pic of a vax card).
Funny how the people against an overbearing government keep taking actions that will push the government to become more and more overbearing.  If this doesn't fizzle out they will mandate a mobile app as the only allowed proof of vax.

Funny how the people against an overbearing government keep taking actions that will push the government to become more and more overbearing.  If this doesn't fizzle out they will mandate a mobile app as the only allowed proof of vax.
What the hell kind of logic is this? 

"If she didn't want to get beat more she should have just done what she was told the first time. Now I have to beat her harder."

11 players registered a positive test, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter, jeopardizing their status for Week 14.

Here are the 11 names:

Chargers WR Keenan Allen

Saints DE Cameron Jordan

Bills LB A.J. Klein

Packers QB Jordan Love

Raiders RB Jalen Richard

Lions OL Evan Brown

Giants OL Wes Martin

Panthers OL Trent Scott

Browns TE Stephen Carlson

Buccaneers LS Zach Triner

Jets LB Blake Cashman

New daily record? Good job NFL. 

Will be interesting to see how the NFL deals with omicron running rampant through rosters come playoff time, especially if it is determined the variant is relatively harmless and positive players are asymptomatic. 

Will be interesting to see how the NFL deals with omicron running rampant through rosters come playoff time, especially if it is determined the variant is relatively harmless and positive players are asymptomatic. 
I think they need to re-evaluate their policy.  It's looking more and more like Omicron is going to be extremely transmissible, with mild symptoms.  It looks like it evades the vaccines to a certain degree as well. 

Is holding players out for no symptoms, a runny nose or dry cough really in the best interest of the league? 

Is there even a reliable way to quickly determine what variant you have of Covid? 

vaccinated, he would need two negative tests 24 hours apart and need to be asymptomatic for 48 hours before he can return. If unvaccinated, he would have to stay away from the team for a minimum of 10 days.

can anyone explain to me how shots helps makes a covid positive person faster to get over being sick than a non-shot person who's equally sick getting over being sick ?

because I don't get it

vaccinated, he would need two negative tests 24 hours apart and need to be asymptomatic for 48 hours before he can return. If unvaccinated, he would have to stay away from the team for a minimum of 10 days.

can anyone explain to me how shots helps makes a covid positive person faster to get over being sick than a non-shot person who's equally sick getting over being sick ?

because I don't get it
Hint: They set up the rules to get the players to get vaccinated.

because I don't get it
I don’t get why this is still a point of discussion. The rules are the same as they were when this thread started. It’s not like the NFL did this for political reasons. They have a massive cash cow, suffered some losses last season, and this was their response. For better or worse, they went with a policy that very strongly favors vaccination and penalizes players and teams who choose not to be vaccinated. It’s a multibillion industry, so I’m sure they did their due diligence in coming up with this policy.

For me, the interesting thing will be if they make any changes based on new developments or new information. Anyone making these decisions, for a company, school, etc., knows it’s a fast moving train, ever-changing, and you have to be willing to accept that sometimes a decision you made a couple weeks ago is no longer valid. The only certainty is that, no matter what you decide, a significant portion of your constituency will be pissed off and think you’re an idiot. 

Probably. People are doing whatever they want now as opposed to last year. Bars, concerts, etc. 
But you said this "A bunch of unvaxed dudes breathing all over each other while they grab one another for hours a day is probably not the best idea. "

That hasnt changed between this year and last year except the vaxxed part.

Last edited by a moderator:
But you said this "A bunch of unvaxed dudes breathing all over each other while they grab one another for hours a day is probably not the best idea. "

That hasnt changed between this year and last year except the vaxxed part.
Last year we lived in little bubbles now we all go out and do whatever we want.

A bunch of unvaxed dudes breathing all over each other while they grab one another for hours a day is probably not the best idea. 

they're young healthy people - they're 99.99% not going to get covid

of course, what we're really talking about (you dismissed it) is that covid positive/sick players get treated very differently

I don’t get why this is still a point of discussion. The rules are the same as they were when this thread started. It’s not like the NFL did this for political reasons. They have a massive cash cow, suffered some losses last season, and this was their response. For better or worse, they went with a policy that very strongly favors vaccination and penalizes players and teams who choose not to be vaccinated. It’s a multibillion industry, so I’m sure they did their due diligence in coming up with this policy.

For me, the interesting thing will be if they make any changes based on new developments or new information. Anyone making these decisions, for a company, school, etc., knows it’s a fast moving train, ever-changing, and you have to be willing to accept that sometimes a decision you made a couple weeks ago is no longer valid. The only certainty is that, no matter what you decide, a significant portion of your constituency will be pissed off and think you’re an idiot. 

bingo

it isn't about safety, it isn't about health

its about money

thank you - at least someone is being honest

of course, what we're really talking about (you dismissed it) is that covid positive/sick players get treated very differently
Seems like more than 99.9% of them have tested positive this year.

Of course Covid positive players will get treated differently, that’s the whole point - they want to have players on the field. 

bingo

it isn't about safety, it isn't about health

its about money

thank you - at least someone is being honest
Of course. I only see this being difficult for the antivax crowd for lack of a better term. The NFL wanted as many people in the building vaxed as possible, if you didn’t here’s a bunch of other stuff you had to do. 

I mean it’s worked out pretty well. Full season, full stands, etc.

We’ll see what happens as the playoffs get here. May see teams put their QBs in those hamster bubbles. 
We had a full season last year and the stand have nothing to do with the NFLs player vaccine policy and more to do with government restrictions being lifted. Bottom line is more players seemed to have missed games due to COVID this year than last.

We had a full season last year and the stand have nothing to do with the NFLs player vaccine policy and more to do with government restrictions being lifted. Bottom line is more players seemed to have missed games due to COVID this year than last.
This all comes down are you more likely to test positive for Covid if you have been exposed and are unvaxed. That’s a yes, right?

Hence this business, where their employees breath all over each other and wrestle for hours, wanted as many employees vaxed as possible. 

Almost half the people on the field on any given play have a comorbidity. 

Can anyone explain to me how shots helps makes a covid positive person faster to get over being sick than a non-shot person who's equally sick getting over being sick ?
Vaccination elicit antibodies --> antibodies are then present 'in advance' to jump on new infections --> new infections are then sharply reduced in duration.

I know you don't buy in to it ... but that's the Cliffs Notes.

Jesus Christ theres a lot of players going on the COVID list right now. Glad to see their vaccine policy working so effectively. Fantasy playoffs are gonna be an utter crapshoot.

Jesus Christ theres a lot of players going on the COVID list right now. Glad to see their vaccine policy working so effectively. Fantasy playoffs are gonna be an utter crapshoot.
I haven't seen any numbers but it sure feels like there are more than at this time last season, when there were a few team-wide outbreaks (Tenn, Baltimore) early on but things had mostly calmed down by the playoffs.

If that is true, I have no idea why it would be so. Players are being less careful? There are way more Antonio Browns out there than we realize?  :shrug:

I haven't seen any numbers but it sure feels like there are more than at this time last season, when there were a few team-wide outbreaks (Tenn, Baltimore) early on but things had mostly calmed down by the playoffs.

If that is true, I have no idea why it would be so. Players are being less careful? There are way more Antonio Browns out there than we realize?  :shrug:
Because the vax sucks and doesn't prevent infection?

The whole world is being less careful, I think.  Fatigue set in a long time ago, people assumed the worst was past, and numbers in general are going up across the country.  Kids are in school this year and weren't last year, so more chance of them contracting it and spreading, even if they only rarely get seriously ill themselves, and lots of players do have young kids.

Vaccination elicit antibodies --> antibodies are then present 'in advance' to jump on new infections --> new infections are then sharply reduced in duration.

I know you don't buy in to it ... but that's the Cliffs Notes.

but once a person is infected - they are just as contagious regardless of shot status

I noticed even more "vaccinated" NFL players out this week. Crazy the infection rate of a vaccinated group isn't it ?

it aint very very low

the Atlanta Falcons, the Detroit Lions, the Minnesota Vikings, the Houston Texans and the Chicago Bears -- have entered the league's enhanced COVID protocols

As a result, the league announced Monday that all Tier 1 and Tier 2 employees who've been previously vaccinated must receive a COVID-19 vaccine booster shot by Dec. 27, according to NFL Network's Mike Garafolo

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread