What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL and Covid Issues - Initially Asked in Shark Pool To Keep it 100% NFL (3 Viewers)

This is lame.  You can certainly talk about COVID and how to deal with it in FF without discussion politics.
Yes I was very puzzled, especially as my suggestion and the situation I was discussing (extra slots, players test positive) had absolutely nothing to do with politics, nor did I mention any political context. Perhaps it goes to show passionately the belief that covid is not a problem is tied up with their personal self-image and belief system . It's probably far, far more common than we realize. It does make discussing reality a problem. And poses a challenge for running a sensible fantasy league.

I am actually interested to see if the corporate behemoths think this through and list all those players as "Out".
I tried contacting Yahoo! fantasy about COVID stuff and they were not responsive...

The big thing was to try and help people w/o creating a situation people would exploit. So what I did was this:

3) People diagnosed with COVID-19 are off limits - You may *NOT* pick up and stash any IR-COVID players that were on the waiver wire when their status was changed.  If a player diagnosed with COVID-19 is dropped from a roster he *CANNOT* be picked up to stash on your IR-COVID roster. *Once their status reverts back to active, they are free game.

EDIT: I just want to clarify something here regarding the italicized. If a person comes off COVID-IR midweek after FAAB waivers, they cannot be picked up immediately and they have to be bid on during the next FAAB waivers. This is designed to protect the owner with multiple COVID-IR players and has to drop one; once they are cleared at least they have a fair shot at getting that player back.

Last edited by a moderator:
The big thing was to try and help people w/o creating a situation people would exploit. So what I did was this:
I straight up told people that the new temporary IR spots were *only* for COVID-19, and further, If I randomly perused rosters and saw any injured player on their IR who did not have Covid, I would drop that player to the waiver wire.

Naturally the CMC owner put him on his IR & i sent them a PM asking them to fix it. I wasn’t really gonna drop them, but sometimes ya gotta make a point, right? ;)  

I have no problem with the everyone play as is and adding temp IR spots for most my leagues.  It's a bit more challenging in the 16 team league as we're already fighting over scraps on the WW as it is with all the injuries.  Throwing cancellations into the mix they'll be some pretty ugly starting lineups in that league.  Small potatoes in the grand scheme of things just a weird year for everyone involved.  Really hoping this is an isolated incident and that we can get through a complete season while (most importantly) keeping all parties involved healthy (from covid).  No small task that's for sure.

There is an elegant solution to solve any postponement of Ten/Pit.

Wk4: Ten and Pit on bye

Wk 7: Ten plays Pit

(Bal bye moved from Week 8 to week 7)

Wk 8: Pit at Bal (moved from week 7)

Now a Minnesota/Houston postpostment would be more complicated.  Will try and work out later.

-QG
I posted the workaround in the thread that was closed. Minnesota can move a game with GB to reschedule with HOU. Simple fix like HOU / PIT. Same situation.

As a commissioner I will be handling this like we're all SOL. If you got players you can play, play them, otherwise sorry. We all signed up for this and I've been trying to get leaguemates to talk about this *exact* scenario and had been laughed at. IMO we're screwed though. This isn't going to get better and when a cascade of cancellations and postponements start then it really will be done for FF in 2020. Please talk me off the ledge but for now I'm not doing anything different. Retroactively applying scores from future postponed games for present H2H matchups won't be happening. 
In our league you set the best line-up you can today. I have no idea what will be rescheduled and when and I'm not digging into past weeks to apply points based on what people might have done if they could (but couldn't). We also added a (hopefully) temporary "clause" that we will pull the plug on the season if the situation gets too goofy to manage. We'll decide that together when the time comes. Like obscenity, I hope we'll know it when we see it.

I posted the workaround in the thread that was closed. Minnesota can move a game with GB to reschedule with HOU. Simply fix like HOU / PIT. Same situation.
More to it than that though.  Houston plays Green Bay week 7 and is on bye week 8 and Minnesota plays Green Bay week 8 and is on bye week 7.  

More has to happen to make it work.

-QG

More to it than that though.  Houston plays Green Bay week 7 and is on bye week 8 and Minnesota plays Green Bay week 8 and is on bye week 7.  

More has to happen to make it work.

-QG
- Minnesota vs. Houston moved from Week 4 to Week 8.
- Green Bay vs. Houston moved from Week 8 to Week 7.
- Minnesota bye moved from Week 7 to Week 4.
- Houston bye moved from Week 8 to Week 4.
- Green Bay bye moved from Week 7 to Week 8.

This kind of stuff makes it tough in the high stakes leagues that only run waivers twice Wed and Fri.  Anything popping up on Saturday and your out of luck say your kicker tests positive or your only carrying 1 QB (or your 2nd QB played Thursday).  I was concerned about my Matt Ryan teams last Saturday when the Atlanta guy tested positive if they postponed the game I was out of luck.

If the game were to be rescheduled it be treated like a bye week in my leagues (I am commish of 7 leagues).

The problem for someone like myself is in 1 of those leagues I am in its 16 team dynasty and Tannehill is my only QB so if Tenn does not play it isn't like I can hit the waiver wire and grab another QB.

We created 3 extra roster spots that owners can Taxi players on to and pick up a replacement player for that week off the waiver wire. 
So what would you guys do if a game is moved to Monday night and then moved to a different week? Tell owners not to risk it and play someone on the taxi squad instead? Submit a conditional roster (Start PLAYER X if the PIT / TEN is played but PLAYER Y if not)?

Obviously, the bigger issue is that there was a Covid outbreak anywhere. That said, that sounds like none of the players involved were fantasy relevant.

Titans placed DE DaQuan Jones, TE Tommy Hudson, and LS Beau Brinkley on the COVID-19 list.

These three players and five other Titans staff members have tested positive. The team will stay away from facilities until at least Saturday, but they need to pass COVID-19 testing before attempting to play on Sunday. The NFL is prepared to delay the Titans vs. Steelers game to Monday if another day is needed. Because the Vikings played the Titans last Sunday, they too will be away from facilities until testing clears them. It's the first major scare in the NFL.

It does make discussing reality a problem.
It really does. If you attack the very premise of something existing, it's awfully tough to plan for it. That's not political, that's ontological, really. Though an ontological argument, IIRC, is usually a philosophical axiom which is that when one asserts the existence of a thing its existence is viewed as a good to maintain, the word ontological probably fits here. 

Indeed it does. Looked it up.

in baseball leagues, the OnRoto stat service put all the players on the teams whose games were postponed because of Covid on the IL until the team resumed playing, so that their fantasy teams could put them on league IR and replace them.  Thought that was pretty smart of it.  I'm curious as to whether the football stat sites will do the same thing.  With that in mine as Commish I've asked my owners to hold off putting in their free agent bids until there is more info from the NFL on its plans for the four teams this week.

So what would you guys do if a game is moved to Monday night and then moved to a different week? Tell owners not to risk it and play someone on the taxi squad instead? Submit a conditional roster (Start PLAYER X if the PIT / TEN is played but PLAYER Y if not)?
I think conditional players is fair.  I'll push for that especially in my large league. 

What a mess.

I've been arguing the league should be folding in more bye weeks for player safety(and the quality of their product) well, well before Covid was a thing. It's still hard to believe the owners didn't simply add in a few bye weeks this year on the off chance a few games would need to be shifted around.

It's all subject to change of course. But for now, Titans saying "no excuses" if they have to play without practice.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/09/29/report-titans-coaches-say-no-excuses-if-they-have-to-play-without-practicing/
It's great that they are saying that(not sure what choice they have, really).

Does anyone know how much the Las Vegas line has moved since the news TEN won't be practicing this week and PIT will be practicing as normal? One would think that will be telling in how much the competitive balance has really changed.

If PIT blows the doors of TEN this week(which would have been possible even if TEN was practicing) it will be interesting how willing coaches will be to "just role with it" if playoff positioning and their jobs are on the line in the second half of the season. 

But maybe Allen Iverson was right. We'll see.

Does anyone know how much the Las Vegas line has moved since the news TEN won't be practicing this week and PIT will be practicing as normal? One would think that will be telling in how much the competitive balance has really changed.

If PIT blows the doors of TEN this week(which would have been possible even if TEN was practicing) it will be interesting how willing coaches will be to "just role with it" if playoff positioning and their jobs are on the line in the second half of the season. 

Vegas has taken PIT/TEN and MIN/HOU out of play. No bets allowed at this point. 

So when does Minnesota play Green Bay (currently scheduled for week 8)?  Green Bay/Houston is already week 7; their bye is week 5.

nope Green Bay has a bye in week 5.

I know because it is set to destroy my FBG contest rooster.

-QG

This is something I brought up but nobody wanted to discuss it. Now it is harder because the season has started. 

I thought of him, too, but his voice never hits quite the level of disgust that Iverson's and Mora's do, Iverson in particular. He loved to drag McDonald's to eat just before practice. I mean, guy hated the concept of taking care and keeping squeaky clean and doing right by his body. 
Plus the context of Mora’s speech was just so good… “We’re just trying to win a game!“ is the best part - he’s just incredulous that somebody could even mention the word playoffs.

Sorry for the sidetrack. I'm in two leagues with really no provisions for this and plan on starting two guys from the Steelers and Titans. Redraft for no money this is no problem, dynasty where rosters don't have churn and I'm already out of FAAB dollars, it means I'm reaching for guys like John Hightower to start. That's not going to work out very well.

Sorry for the sidetrack. I'm in two leagues with really no provisions for this and plan on starting two guys from the Steelers and Titans. Redraft for no money this is no problem, dynasty where rosters don't have churn and I'm already out of FAAB dollars, it means I'm reaching for guys like John Hightower to start. That's not going to work out very well.
Thanks. Please let's keep it on track. 

I think they need to set a fair precedent here. Not so much for this game eof Titans and Steelers now (although it could certainly be impactful) but what if this secenario occurs prior to a playoff game?  So one playoff team sits t home in their house and the other practices and prepares for a playoff game?  

I may have missed it but if it takes 7, 10, 14 days to manifest the symptoms then how is it possible to play the game this week at all and not potentially have a big blow up risk?  Let's say tannehill and Henry have it but don't show symptoms until after they play this week...then half a dozen Steeler defenders and a ref and a coach or two pop up with it?   

Can someone tell me what I'm missing?

I may have missed it but if it takes 7, 10, 14 days to manifest the symptoms then how is it possible to play the game this week at all and not potentially have a big blow up risk?  Let's say tannehill and Henry have it but don't show symptoms until after they play this week...then half a dozen Steeler defenders and a ref and a coach or two pop up with it?   

They can test positive before symptoms show up. 

testing doesn't need to wait for symptoms.

I like the idea of bumping it until Monday, it sounds like the league was clear up front there could be competitive disadvantages this year. 

Say you have a player on one of these teams, when will they have to disclose which players have it? I assume this has to be disclosed on the injury report and we will have time to prepare?

Schefter talking about a Monday game this afternoon. https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1311019551543504896?s=20

NFL wants to and intends to play the Titans-Steelers game as scheduled Sunday; one of the contingency plans to allow for additional testing and contact tracing to occur would be to move the game to Monday night, per source.
With so few to no fans attending, they have tons more flexibility to move a game than in normal years. 

I’ll take Mora 1.01 in the all-time coach’s presser draft 

Close second for me is Herm, “YOU PLAY...TO WIN...THE GAME.” Edwards.
Nothing beats the Cardinals curbstomping my Bears for like 7 turnovers by Rex Grossman (pukes in mouth) and then giving up a 20 pt lead with two defensive scores by Urlacher and Tillman, followed by the housecall by Hester. Followed by Green presser. I don't know if I've ever seen a more lopsided game go the other way. 

I'll take Mora next and Herm is pretty low. Iverson even lower. 

I thought of him, too, but his voice never hits quite the level of disgust that Iverson's and Mora's do, Iverson in particular. He loved to drag McDonald's to eat just before practice. I mean, guy hated the concept of taking care and keeping squeaky clean and doing right by his body. 
Or helping his teammates.

nope Green Bay has a bye in week 5.

I know because it is set to destroy my FBG contest rooster.

-QG
Yeah, it looked doable on a napkin but isn’t doable when fully fleshed out. Not useless the Texans have a split squad and play both GB and MIN in Week 8.

Users who are viewing this thread