What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL and Covid Issues - Initially Asked in Shark Pool To Keep it 100% NFL (2 Viewers)

I knew this was coming LOL. So you're saying Covid is the same as the flu? Not my intention to open that debate, but you see where this could go.
Oh, you're one of those people.  Never mind.

"What about the time Jay Culter fell down the stairs and tore up his knee?"

"So you're saying Covid is the same as a torn up knee?"

Last edited by a moderator:
We've had several positives tests now. Has anyone actually shown symptoms yet and had to go to the hospital for treatment?

We've had several positives tests now. Has anyone actually shown symptoms yet and had to go to the hospital for treatment?
I think you’re right; no one has been hospitalized, at least not that has been reported.  

It’s almost like “shutting down” a teams facilities when case have been identified, so the virus doesn’t spread as much as it would if nothing was done, I’d a good idea.  Th fewer people that get the virus, the smaller the chance that someone gets seriously ill.

Or we could just stick our head in the sand and say “it’s like the flu.”  I’m not a doctor, though, so 🤷‍♂️

I think you’re right; no one has been hospitalized, at least not that has been reported.  

It’s almost like “shutting down” a teams facilities when case have been identified, so the virus doesn’t spread as much as it would if nothing was done, I’d a good idea.  Th fewer people that get the virus, the smaller the chance that someone gets seriously ill.

Or we could just stick our head in the sand and say “it’s like the flu.”  I’m not a doctor, though, so 🤷‍♂️
Then what's the problem? 

Do we legit think there are games that don't play this week and if so which ones?
I suppose at this point any game could be in jeopardy if positive tests come up. That's part of the overall issue. But the teams most likely to have a disruption this week are TEN and NE, and both are trending to play if there are no more positive test results.

One thing I've been thinking about is the disparity in risk depending on the position played.  I think it's pretty unlikely that a CB would pass it on to the WR he was covering (or vice versa).  But a Guard and DT are face to face, breathing hard and fast, many times during the game and for 5 to 15 seconds per play.  Lots more opportunity to get a full dose from an infected opponent.  And since these are all big heavy dudes, probably the ones at greater risk of serious complications if they were to get infected.

GoBirds said:
SO does that mean the game is definitely happening or do we have to hope not failed test tomorrow and Sunday still?
The 1st was considered inconclusive, do this is an all clear. I posted team statement in Jets thread 

Titans not talking, all giving same reply like they're reading it. They've been transparent and will wait for league n NFLPA report

Bears facility has been closed since Thursday though so good chance they won't have a spread. Chiefs will have to have negatives tomorrow to ensure they play.

How do these statements fit together?  
You can be tested Game Day if it's to checkup on previous positive tests. If there was a positive the day before, obviously you have to test the next day to see if there's a spread. If a team went through a week of negatives no need for a Game Day test.

Anyone know the official delay between when tested and when you get results or does it vary from test to test and if it varies what are the ranges ?

It seems we get most of the results in the morning the next day after a test.  Not sure what time these are being tested but we seen last Saturday that Burton for NO tested positive and we didn't hear about it until around 11:45 PM ET and then they retested 7 players Kamara included and it was a false positive on Burton and no one else tested positive and this was around 8 AM ET or so.

You can be tested Game Day if it's to checkup on previous positive tests. If there was a positive the day before, obviously you have to test the next day to see if there's a spread. If a team went through a week of negatives no need for a Game Day test.
So do the titans have to test on Tuesday since they had positive tests?

Anyone know the official delay between when tested and when you get results or does it vary from test to test and if it varies what are the ranges ?

It seems we get most of the results in the morning the next day after a test.  Not sure what time these are being tested but we seen last Saturday that Burton for NO tested positive and we didn't hear about it until around 11:45 PM ET and then they retested 7 players Kamara included and it was a false positive on Burton and no one else tested positive and this was around 8 AM ET or so.
The tests have to be sent to a lab and it depends in some cases were the team is located in relation to the lab with respect to how long until they get back results. 5 labs are used across the country with the major lab in New Jersey so for most part if the test is given on a Friday morning for instance at best the results might be late Friday night but in some cases possibly not till next morning.  Teams like Jets and Giants as example would be able to get their test results back a little quicker the most teams.

Here is portion of an article from a Saints beat writer on their testing process:

As it stands right now, NFL players, coaches and staffers test most days of the week, but they don't routinely test on game day — which is part of the reason behind why the Tennessee Titans' outbreak has concerned those in NFL circles. 

For a normal game week, players, coaches and staffers get tested Monday-Saturday in the morning. They test on their Tuesday off-day as well. Those tests are typical nasal swabs — not the 6-inch nasopharyngeal swabs that were used around the world in the early days of the pandemic. 

Those tests — for the Saints, specifically — get driven via courier to the BioReference Laboratories facility in Houston, which is a 348-mile drive.

There are several BioReference facilities serving the NFL's swath of tests from its 32 teams, including one site in New Jersey that had an "isolated contamination" issue with several tests back on Aug. 22. 

Typically, the Saints get their test results back in the early hours of the morning.

It is probable that the Saints received their Saturday test results back from the Houston BioReference lab a little earlier than normal, which is why the news regarding Burton's positive test dropped just before 11 p.m. CT. 

https://www.nola.com/sports/saints/article_263350e0-0605-11eb-9fb9-8fd53d8bd868.html

Haven't seen this shared in the thread so apologize if this is a Honda.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------    

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticNFL/status/1314554608329592837

The Athletic NFL@TheAthleticNFL  

“I think they forfeit a game, lose a draft pick and incur a fine,” one exec said. “I’d nail them, but hopefully they can get their s— together after that.” On the "open secret" around the NFL that the Titans flouted COVID-19 protocols and what happens next

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------    

“I think they forfeit a game, lose a draft pick and incur a fine,” one exec said. “I’d nail them, but hopefully they can get their s— together after that.” On the "open secret" around the NFL that the Titans flouted COVID-19 protocols and what happens next
The reason I find the forfeiting a game scenario unlikely is the Titans have not had any games cancelled (only rescheduled). Beyond that, whichever game is forfeited would draw ire and consternation, as both the Steelers and Bills have been inconvenienced. Both could make a compelling case that they should get a gift win (and it's doubtful the league will enforce one forfeit let alone two of them). Fines / suspensions / loss of draft picks sounds like the most likely outcome.

The tests have to be sent to a lab and it depends in some cases were the team is located in relation to the lab with respect to how long until they get back results. 5 labs are used across the country with the major lab in New Jersey so for most part if the test is given on a Friday morning for instance at best the results might be late Friday night but in some cases possibly not till next morning.  Teams like Jets and Giants as example would be able to get their test results back a little quicker the most teams.

Here is portion of an article from a Saints beat writer on their testing process:

As it stands right now, NFL players, coaches and staffers test most days of the week, but they don't routinely test on game day — which is part of the reason behind why the Tennessee Titans' outbreak has concerned those in NFL circles. 

For a normal game week, players, coaches and staffers get tested Monday-Saturday in the morning. They test on their Tuesday off-day as well. Those tests are typical nasal swabs — not the 6-inch nasopharyngeal swabs that were used around the world in the early days of the pandemic. 

Those tests — for the Saints, specifically — get driven via courier to the BioReference Laboratories facility in Houston, which is a 348-mile drive.

There are several BioReference facilities serving the NFL's swath of tests from its 32 teams, including one site in New Jersey that had an "isolated contamination" issue with several tests back on Aug. 22. 

Typically, the Saints get their test results back in the early hours of the morning.

It is probable that the Saints received their Saturday test results back from the Houston BioReference lab a little earlier than normal, which is why the news regarding Burton's positive test dropped just before 11 p.m. CT. 

https://www.nola.com/sports/saints/article_263350e0-0605-11eb-9fb9-8fd53d8bd868.html
So once they pass Saturday tests we are good or also pregame tests on Sunday?

The reason I find the forfeiting a game scenario unlikely is the Titans have not had any games cancelled (only rescheduled). Beyond that, whichever game is forfeited would draw ire and consternation, as both the Steelers and Bills have been inconvenienced. Both could make a compelling case that they should get a gift win (and it's doubtful the league will enforce one forfeit let alone two of them). Fines / suspensions / loss of draft picks sounds like the most likely outcome.
Not just inconvenient...players can lose a game check if its not played.  Mark Tauscher, former Packers lineman, on radio was saying in a forfeit situation, the team is not required to pay the game check for a game not played.  So theoretically, the Bills players could lose a game check because of another team’s screw up.

This seems to agree

Not just inconvenient...players can lose a game check if its not played.  Mark Tauscher, former Packers lineman, on radio was saying in a forfeit situation, the team is not required to pay the game check for a game not played.  So theoretically, the Bills players could lose a game check because of another team’s screw up.

This seems to agree
The other unknown is whether the timing of things makes a difference. The TEN COVID outbreak started before the memo indicating teams could have to forfeit. The Titans could argue that the rules changed after the fact. 

Not a chance. That's an exec with no executive decision making. 

Va Tech played North Carolina today and were without 15 players, 3 starters because of Covid. I just don't get moving games over 1 or 2  guys testing positive. 

This seems to agree
I think a fair solution to the game check situation is to have the forfeiting team pay the game checks to the other team.

So is it weird that the only news about the Chiefs was that their S&C coach tested positive, and like, not a peep since? 

Because that seems weird.  :unsure:

Users who are viewing this thread