What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL and Covid Issues - Initially Asked in Shark Pool To Keep it 100% NFL (5 Viewers)

Agreed.  Meanwhile, the Steelers keep getting jerked around because of their opponents.  
So if the Ravens learn on Friday they don't have this contained I assume the NFL will not play the game on Sunday.  Any ideas on whether:

1) The game will be cancelled and they'll just go with winning percentage

2) The game is moved to "Week 18", thereby eliminating a possible first round bye for the Steelers

3) The Ravens forfeit the game

4) None of the above

I'd be annoyed if I were K. Shanahan. Entire team was decimated a couple weeks ago.

What's the criteria?

Joke.
Yeah there was a ton of players out on both the Packers/49ers.  Figured if they got that one in they wouldn't mess with any more Thursday night games. 

So if the Ravens learn on Friday they don't have this contained I assume the NFL will not play the game on Sunday.  Any ideas on whether:

2) The game is moved to "Week 18", thereby eliminating a possible first round bye for the Steelers

4) None of the above
I imagine they play Sunday unless Ravens don't have enough players to play. I think it would take more than half the team in the protocol to cancel now. If tomorrow was Sunday, they would have played IMO.

I'd be annoyed if I were K. Shanahan. Entire team was decimated a couple weeks ago.

What's the criteria?

Joke.

Agreed.  Meanwhile, the Steelers keep getting jerked around because of their opponents.  
Yeah...no consistency here...likely because it wasn't the only Thursday game vs where the 9ers were.  But 9ers and Packers had several out (though part of that was also injury).

Steelers getting moved around hurts them in that they had such an early "bye" forced based on the Titans thing...now lose the "mini-bye" of playing on the Thursday here.

4) None of the above
Boy, it's hard to tell, since it's seems like the NFL has no standard protocol for these situations (I realize that they do, but it feels like every instance has been handled slightly differently).  

Off the top of my head, I would think that, if at all possible, they would try to get the game in this week.  Even if that means playing Monday (or Tuesday, etc.).  If that absolutely can't happen, I honestly have no idea.  I can't see a forfeit happening. The other two (Week 18 or winning %) seem very unlikely as well, although I'm not sure what other options there would be.  

Ravens placed DL Calais Campbell on the reserve/COVID-19 list.

C Matt Skura and OL Patrick Mekari are also going to the list. Campbell missed last week with a calf issue and is now in danger of missing Week 12. It's unclear if he tested positive. If so, he's going to miss Week 12 and could be in danger for Week 13. He's part of the Ravens' virus outbreak.
Browns placed LB Sione Takitaki on the reserve/COVID-19 list.

He tested positive and joins Myles Garrett on the list. Takitaki recorded a 50-yard pick-six of Carson Wentz last week and has played 39% of the Browns' defensive snaps this season after being taken in the third round of the 2019 draft. He's arguably the Browns' top linebacker and will be sidelined a minimum of 10 days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I've seen those. 

I'm looking for the quotes you said where the NFL is asserting "no one has ever played with COVID-19" and "you can't transmit COVID-19 on the football field". Can you share those links please?

I hadn't seen those quotes and I'd like to know the context of the full article and who exactly said it.  

Hi @The Frankman  Were you able to find the links with the quotes you listed above? 

I haven't been able to find the article which talked in depth about it though there are articles with bits and pieces of that NFL statement around like here

The NFL has allowed teams in some instances to play games after a single positive test if there is no evidence of widespread transmission of the virus. League officials have said the NFL has seen no evidence of on-field transmission.
I think it was a Yahoo article or a tweet but I'm still looking. I know I didn't dream that into existence, I'm not that crazy.

EDIT: This isn't the original piece I read, but this recent Yahoo! article and WSJ piece do outline that most sports doctors/officials believe the actual on-field transmission (playing field, not sidelines) is unlikely.

Humphrey being the only positive case on the team is good news for the Ravens, and further evidence that on-field COVID-19 transmission isn’t as big a threat as off-field activities. The team will still be dealing with a lot as it prepares for its game against the Colts, including a defense that will be depleted during practice.

The Ravens announced they have disciplined an unnamed staff member for "conduct surrounding the recent COVID-19 cases" that have impacted the team.

This is one of the more vague statements you will ever read, but it appears as if the Ravens have identified the source of the virus for the five players and four staff members placed on the COVID list. The NFL has since moved the Ravens' game against the Steelers to Sunday.

Nov 25, 2020, 6:31 PM ET

I haven't been able to find the article which talked in depth about it though there are articles with bits and pieces of that NFL statement around like here

I think it was a Yahoo article or a tweet but I'm still looking. I know I didn't dream that into existence, I'm not that crazy.

EDIT: This isn't the original piece I read, but this recent Yahoo! article and WSJ piece do outline that most sports doctors/officials believe the actual on-field transmission (playing field, not sidelines) is unlikely.
Ok.  "League officials have said the NFL has seen no evidence of on-field transmission." is miles from you saying the league asserted, "you can't transmit COVID-19 on the football field". 

I don't mean to be too exact but words are super important in this.

I've never heard the league say "you can't transmit COVID-19 on the football field" and when you said that was what they were asserting, it caught my attention.

So does Dobbins have a chance now?

I don't think that you can test positive for Covid on a Monday and be cleared to play in 6 days.

Game time is 1:15 EST now
How I understand it is, If Dobbins or Ingram did not have symptoms and test negative twice before Saturday, they can play.

Could be wrong.

from sporting news:

Following a positive test, if the player is asymptomatic, he can return once:

10 days have passed since the initial positive test; OR

Five days have passed since the initial positive test and the player receives two consecutive negative PCR virus tests at least 24 hours apart within that five-day period

Following a positive test, if the player demonstrates symptoms, he can return once:

At least 10 days have passed since symptoms first appeared; AND

At least 72 hours have passed since he last 

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/1331948892787761152

The Ravens have more positive COVID-19 tests, putting Sunday's game against Pittsburgh in peril.  

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora said the "NFL continues to closely monitor the situation to determine if this game is still played Sunday." With new positive tests seemingly every day, it's clear the Ravens are in the midst of a full-blown COVID-19 outbreak among players, coaches, and staff. The team announced Wednesday that they had disciplined an unnamed staff member who may have been responsible to bringing the virus into the team facility without reporting symptoms. If more offensive starters are placed on the reserve/COVID list, the Ravens might have to play the Steelers with the equivalent of their junior varsity squad.

The Falcons are working virtually Thursday after two new positive COVID-19 tests among non-coaching staffers. 

So far, no players have been affected. The Falcons remain on track to play the Raiders Sunday, barring more positive COVID tests in the coming days. 

- Rotoworld

The Ravens' latest positive COVID-19 test came from a coach. 

Baltimore on Monday placed J.K. Dobbins and Mark Ingram on the reserve/COVID-19 list. The team continues to grapple with the COVID-19 outbreak that postponed their Thursday night game against the Steelers. More positive tests on Friday or Saturday would put Sunday's Steelers-Ravens game in jeopardy. 

RELATED: 

Pittsburgh Steelers

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Nov 26, 2020, 10:09 AM ET

The Browns on Thursday shut down their team facility for the second straight day after a new positive COVID-19 test. 

LB Sione Takitaki tested positive for the virus Wednesday and was placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list, while contact tracing revealed no high-risk contacts, according to the team. Cleveland's Week 12 matchup with the Jaguars isn't in danger yet. Another day of new positive COVID-19 tests could change that. 

RELATED: 

Sione Takitaki

, Jacksonville Jaguars

SOURCE: Brownszone.com 

Nov 26, 2020, 9:51 AM ET

Larry Fitzgerald tested positive for COVID-19 and will miss Week 12's game against the Patriots. 

Fitzgerald has played 80 percent of the Cardinals' offensive snaps and has the second most targets on the team behind DeAndre Hopkins, so his absence will certainly open up more opportunity for Christian Kirk and Andy Isabella. Isabella should be the primary beneficiary of Fitzgerald missing this week's game, as Fitzgerald has played 87 percent of his snaps this season from the slot and Isabella -- in limited usage -- has played in the slot on 86 percent of his snaps. Twenty-one of Isabella's 24 targets this season have come from the slot. He becomes a WR3 with upside in PPR formats. 

- Mike Garofalo

A Ravens player and two staff members were among those who tested positive for COVID-19 on Thursday. 

Reports of varying detail are leaking out about the latest round of positive tests for the Ravens. We likely won't know who the player is until later today. The team is trying to reel in what is to date the league's most serious COVID-19 outbreak. There remains a chance Baltimore's already-postponed game against the Steelers will be further delayed. 

RELATED: 

Pittsburgh Steelers

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Nov 26, 2020, 12:05 PM ET

This would cause the game to be postponed. NFL can't have a game without the reigning MVP.
Seems like a hundred years ago.

I think BAL already stated that RGIII will be starting on Sunday.

Godsbrother said:
I don't think that you can test positive for Covid on a Monday and be cleared to play in 6 days.

Game time is 1:15 EST now
Depends. Are you talking about in real life? Or in the eyes of the NFL?

Profootballtalk reports the league will decide by Friday if Steelers/Ravens can be played on Sunday. 

Per Mike Florio, "there’s an increasing belief within the Baltimore organization that the game cannot proceed as scheduled." That would require not only moving the game from Sunday to a week day, but then bumping the Ravens' originally scheduled Week 13 Thursday Dec. 3 contest. Any clarity we gain Friday, of course, will be at the mercy of the virus' spread throughout the Ravens' organization. 

SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com 

Nov 26, 2020, 10:36 PM ET

ESPN's Jamison Hensley reports the Ravens believe Lamar Jackson contracted COVID-19 during the team's Week 11 loss to the Titans.  

Jackson took snaps from C Patrick Mekari, who has also tested positive. Jackson's game day locker is "close" to COVID positive J.K. Dobbins and Mark Ingram. Catching the virus during the game would be quite the development, as that is not something that has been documented during any American sporting event this year. Wherever Jackson contracted the virus, he is out for Week 12 against the Steelers — if it's played — and quite likely Week 13 vs. Dallas. That will depend when that game, originally scheduled for next Thursday, is played. 

- Jamison Hensley

The Broncos cancelled Friday's practice after a player and two staff members tested positive for COVID-19.

It's the third time in four weeks the Broncos have cancelled practice due to COVID. Denver put QB Jeff Driskel on the reserve/COVID list Thursday and will be adding at least one other player to the list. Sunday's Broncos-Saints matchup remains on track to be played.

- 9News Denver

This would cause the game to be postponed. NFL can't have a game without the reigning MVP.
They wouldn't reschedule just because he pulled a hammy - no reason to reschedule just because he is out for Covid.

Only reason to reschedule is if it looks like there is a realistic chance guys playing Sunday will test positive right after the game - which would be the case if there continue to be more positives.  If the positives stop here, then play the game this week - Sunday or Monday or Tuesday, whatever.  Too bad if you lose the next week's Thursday night game.

They wouldn't reschedule just because he pulled a hammy - no reason to reschedule just because he is out for Covid.

Only reason to reschedule is if it looks like there is a realistic chance guys playing Sunday will test positive right after the game - which would be the case if there continue to be more positives.  If the positives stop here, then play the game this week - Sunday or Monday or Tuesday, whatever.  Too bad if you lose the next week's Thursday night game.
I don't see them caring about this part. They haven't yet. They care A) if Baltimore has enough to field a team and B) if they can field their otherwise healthy reigning MVP. Because throwing RG3 or McSorley out to the undefeated Steelers isn't going to be big for ratings. 

The Broncos had no new positive tests in their latest round of COVID-19 testing.

The Broncos returned to practice after cancelling it on Friday.  They placed QB Jeff Driskel and WR Diontae Spencer on the reserve/COVID-19 list earlier this week. This puts Denver on track to play Sunday's game with the Saints.

SOURCE: ABC Denver

Nov 28, 2020, 9:46 AM ET

The NFL is closing team facilities Monday and Tuesday. 

“The NFL decided to prohibit in-person team activities on Monday and Tuesday given rising COVID-19 cases around the country and because a number of players celebrated U.S. Thanksgiving with out-of-town guests.

The new measures were announced in a league-wide memo posted on the NFL's website late on Friday, a day after the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday, and do not apply to the four teams scheduled to play on Monday or Tuesday.

"In response to the continuous increase in positivity rates throughout the country, as well as our understanding that a number of players and staff celebrated the Thanksgiving holiday with out-of-town guests, all in-person team activities on Monday, November 30 and Tuesday, December 1, will be prohibited," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell wrote in the memo.”

Link

Next week might be rough due to Thanksgiving? Today isn't going too great as is

Yeah things starting to blow up.  Wouldn’t be surprised if NFL shuts it down for a week or two and pushes the start of the playoffs back.  

Colts placed RB Jonathan Taylor on the reserve/COVID-19 list.

Taylor is out for Sunday's game with the Titans. He's only a high-risk contact for now but would miss a minimum of 10 days if he tests positive. Jordan Wilkins will pick up Taylor's snaps on early downs, with Nyheim Hines maintaining his pass game role. The Colts also placed DT DeForest Buckner on the COVID list earlier this week.

- Rotoworld
NFL Network's Aditi Kinkhabwala reports James Conner tested positive for COVID-19.

Conner is waiting for a second test on Sunday to confirm the results. Barring a false positive, he'll be placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list and miss Week 12. The Steelers will turn to a committee of Benny Snell and Anthony McFarland to replace Conner. With a short turnaround in Week 13, Conner may be looking at a multi-game absence.  It's possible the NFL cancels this week's Steelers-Ravens matchup all together.

- NFL Network
Saints LT Terron Armstead tested positive for COVID-19 and will be out for Week 12's game against the Broncos.

The Saints were already set to be without G Andrus Peat due to a concussion, so the entire left side of the line will need to be replaced when protecting Taysom Hill. James Hurst and Nick Easton are likely the two replacements. The Broncos defense gave Tua Tagovailoa nightmares in Week 11, and will do their best to do the same to Hill on Sunday.

- Rotoworld

And the thing is most of the Thanksgiving-related cases surely haven't surfaced yet.  Gotta think they will desperately try to cram this week in and then game plan for possible full week postponements.

-QG

Ravens added six more players to the reserve/COVID-19 list, including starting RT D.J. Fluker

The others include OLB Jaylon Ferguson, OL Will Holden, DT Broderick Washington, CB Tavon Young and CB Khalil Dorsey. That means the Ravens have placed 18 names on the list since Monday, November 23. As of now the Ravens are scheduled to play the Steelers on Tuesday, but seemingly every day more names are added to the list, including on the Steelers side.

- Rotoworld

Ravens added six more players to the reserve/COVID-19 list, including starting RT D.J. Fluker

The others include OLB Jaylon Ferguson, OL Will Holden, DT Broderick Washington, CB Tavon Young and CB Khalil Dorsey. That means the Ravens have placed 18 names on the list since Monday, November 23. As of now the Ravens are scheduled to play the Steelers on Tuesday, but seemingly every day more names are added to the list, including on the Steelers side.

- Rotoworld
Wow.  Just wow.

Broncos pulled all 3 qbs out of practice today and sent them hime due to contact tracing concerns with Jeff Driskel per Mike Klis

Broncos pulled all 3 qbs out of practice today and sent them hime due to contact tracing concerns with Jeff Driskel per Mike Klis
Not sure any team would have a QB on the depth chart below Bortles

@MikeKlis: Per sources, Broncos pulled all 3 quarterbacks (Lock, Rypien, Bortles) from practice today and sent home out of contact tracing concerns with Jeff Driskel. Unclear whether precaution or availability for game tomorrow uncertain. #9sports

Not sure any team would have a QB on the depth chart below Bortles

@MikeKlis: Per sources, Broncos pulled all 3 quarterbacks (Lock, Rypien, Bortles) from practice today and sent home out of contact tracing concerns with Jeff Driskel. Unclear whether precaution or availability for game tomorrow uncertain. #9sports
No way can they play that game tomorrow if the Broncos literally have 0 QB's. 

I'm starting to wonder of we might end up with 3-4 Monday/Tuesday games this week, and perhaps going forward.

Very interesting in the Jeff Driskel news

https://twitter.com/MikeKlis/status/1332800917167628294

Mike Klis @MikeKlis

NFL reviewed tape of Drew Lock, Brett Rypien, Blake Bortles interaction with Jeff Driskel from Wednesday. Driskel has zero symptoms but tested positive Thursday. To be clear NFL pulled Lock, Rypien, Bortles from practice Saturday. Still working through it. #9sports
I REALLY don't want to be that guy, but how do the Broncos not pull these guys and the NFL has to do it reviewing the Broncos own tape?

Users who are viewing this thread