What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL and Covid Issues - Initially Asked in Shark Pool To Keep it 100% NFL (2 Viewers)

I have a suggestion being kicked around in our league and I understand if someone already suggested this...Ju Ju is the example here for everyone to look at. 

-JuJu is your WR1 or whichever starting slot. Allen Lazard is your Bench WR...you will play JuJu and 1-Backup for him. If JuJu's game is cancelled then you get the Lazard points. It's not BEST BALL, it's simply a fill in if your game is cancelled or postponed. 

This should be an easy substitute for most Commish and they can overrode most things or manually make the changes and adjust on Tuesday etc...

There is an elegant solution to solve any postponement of Ten/Pit.

Wk4: Ten and Pit on bye

Wk 7: Ten plays Pit

(Bal bye moved from Week 8 to week 7)

Wk 8: Pit at Bal (moved from week 7)

Now a Minnesota/Houston postpostment would be more complicated.  Will try and work out later.

-QG
this is a good solution

- Minnesota vs. Houston moved from Week 4 to Week 8.
- Green Bay vs. Houston moved from Week 8 to Week 7.
- Minnesota bye moved from Week 7 to Week 4.
- Houston bye moved from Week 8 to Week 4.
- Green Bay bye moved from Week 7 to Week 8.
This is only a single game being postponed and look at this complicated solve. 

Had referenced this back in August, but the NFL made a massive error in not adjusting their scheduling protocol heading into the season.    They should have embedded at least two bye weeks into every team's schedule and clustered the bye weeks together as much as possible.    If a COVID related re-schedule was necessary, then there would be a much better chance that the two (or more) impacted teams shared a bye week and the solution was as simple as moving the game to the bye week.     The 1993 NFL schedule had two bye weeks for every team and the season worked out just fine. 

Terribly shortsighted on behalf of NFL leadership, IMO.    Unlike MLB and NBA, they had almost all year to prepare and put scheduling contingencies in place.   

Had referenced this back in August, but the NFL made a massive error in not adjusting their scheduling protocol heading into the season.    They should have embedded at least two bye weeks into every team's schedule and clustered the bye weeks together as much as possible.    If a COVID related re-schedule was necessary, then there would be a much better chance that the two (or more) impacted teams shared a bye week and the solution was as simple as moving the game to the bye week.     The 1993 NFL schedule had two bye weeks for every team and the season worked out just fine. 

Terribly shortsighted on behalf of NFL leadership, IMO.    Unlike MLB and NBA, they had almost all year to prepare and put scheduling contingencies in place.   
To clarify, the proposed solution I posted DOESN'T solve the problem. I jotted things down on a sheet of paper before I realized that the option I came up with wouldn't work. I think they will do all they can to try to play games and not move them from their scheduled weeks, and worse case if there is a game that can't get shoe horned in during the season they could play it in Week 18 once the season is over.

Green Bay has a week FIVE bye NOT seven.  

The solution for a MIN-HOU postponement is the one I have in the thread that moves 9 games.

-QG

And again the biggest mistake was not having each week either be all in-division games OR all games where all 4 teams in a division play all 4 teams in another division.  Would have made moving around the schedule MUCH easier.

-QG

Hoping the Raiders get a beat down from the league for their idiocy.  Wouldn’t be opposed to every player who attended being banned from facilities for three days to be sure they are past incubation.

NFL needs to use them as an example. 
Excuse me for my ignorance but I've been busy. What happened with the Raiders?

I have a suggestion being kicked around in our league and I understand if someone already suggested this...Ju Ju is the example here for everyone to look at. 

-JuJu is your WR1 or whichever starting slot. Allen Lazard is your Bench WR...you will play JuJu and 1-Backup for him. If JuJu's game is cancelled then you get the Lazard points. It's not BEST BALL, it's simply a fill in if your game is cancelled or postponed. 

This should be an easy substitute for most Commish and they can overrode most things or manually make the changes and adjust on Tuesday etc...
I'm proposing this for 2 leagues where I'm "secretary" (not the commish in terms of decision-making, but do all the commish stuff on the website).  I figure teams with potentially impacted players can e-mail me with their backups prior to their game starting, and in the event of a rescheduling, I can apply the changes retroactively.

And again the biggest mistake was not having each week either be all in-division games OR all games where all 4 teams in a division play all 4 teams in another division.  Would have made moving around the schedule MUCH easier.

-QG
Yep

To clarify, the proposed solution I posted DOESN'T solve the problem. I jotted things down on a sheet of paper before I realized that the option I came up with wouldn't work. I think they will do all they can to try to play games and not move them from their scheduled weeks, and worse case if there is a game that can't get shoe horned in during the season they could play it in Week 18 once the season is over.
Week 18?     I think that is also known as wildcard weekend.    Unless you shove the playoffs back, there is no Week 18

Week 18?     I think that is also known as wildcard weekend.    Unless you shove the playoffs back, there is no Week 18
I would think it would be super simple and easy to push it back. One of the easiest scheduling decisions the NFL could end up making. Pretty sure dude knew that was wildcard weekend when he said week 18, too.

Yes. Also known as wildcard weekEnd. I am guessing that is a last resort and would only be If there was a game left to be played that impacted the playoffs. Given that most teams have no fans or only a few of them, if they had to push things out a week it would not be the end of the world. 

Hoping the Raiders get a beat down from the league for their idiocy.  Wouldn’t be opposed to every player who attended being banned from facilities for three days to be sure they are past incubation.

But weren't we told over and over again that NFL players learned from MLB and this surely wouldn't happen because they have so much to lose?

I think the NFL is going to have to adopt a tidal shift in scheduling. This is going to happen to another team. I think they will have to go zero fans across the board which will give them the flexibility to move games up and down the previously set schedule calendar with as few ramifications as possible.

Starting to doubt the season finishes now if they're cancelling games due to some players testing positive.  Not saying it's right or wrong.

This is going to happen to way more teams when you have 75 people per team hanging out with their friends and going to bars during the week.

no new date announced but gotta think that it'll be the simple work around.  My guess is that probably want to go through the formality of discussing the bye switch with the Ravens.  Though the more pessimistic take would be that they don't want to announce anything without knowing the deal for week 5.

-QG

no new date announced but gotta think that it'll be the simple work around.  My guess is that probably want to go through the formality of discussing the bye switch with the Ravens.  Though the more pessimistic take would be that they don't want to announce anything without knowing the deal for week 5.

-QG
Quarantine the team ASAP.  Retest them all in 4 days and let the negative players play next week.

Starting to doubt the season finishes now if they're cancelling games due to some players testing positive.  Not saying it's right or wrong.

This is going to happen to way more teams when you have 75 people per team hanging out with their friends and going to bars during the week.
It's a contact sport, unlike baseball, 3 to 4 times more staff than baseball, and an increase in cases in several locations. Plus irresponsible behavior by some. 

Is it too late for home bubbles?

Will MFL be giving the Pitt/Tenn players all the Covid Designation?
that is the interesting question - wondering the same for fleaflicker.

Barring that I think my decision for the league that I commish for will be that this week will be counted as the TEN/PIT bye.  But if either of those teams has a 2nd full postponement that either directly or by workaround those players would be eligible for Covid-IR

-QG

I think the NFL is going to have to adopt a tidal shift in scheduling. This is going to happen to another team. I think they will have to go zero fans across the board which will give them the flexibility to move games up and down the previously set schedule calendar with as few ramifications as possible.
Not only that is next weeks Titans' game safe?  If they are still having positive tests now I would think that game has to be in question as well.

We haven't even reached the bye weeks, when players get most if not all of the week off. 

that is the interesting question - wondering the same for fleaflicker.

Barring that I think my decision for the league that I commish for will be that this week will be counted as the TEN/PIT bye.  But if either of those teams has a 2nd full postponement that either directly or by workaround those players would be eligible for Covid-IR

-QG
This year, once MLB teams started having multiple games cancelled due to Covid, OnRoto stat service started giving IL designations to all the players on teams that were having multiple games called off due to Covid.  I hope MFL and the other football stat services, having come up with a Covid-IR option, figure out this falls under that.

It's a contact sport, unlike baseball, 3 to 4 times more staff than baseball, and an increase in cases in several locations. Plus irresponsible behavior by some. 

Is it too late for home bubbles?
Plus heading into the typical flu season soon.  I'm not sure home bubbles help either.  I think the only way the NFL will finish if they go into NBA/NHL type bubbles where players/coaches and staff fully isolate from family and friends.  With the size of a NFL team vs NBA and NHL I'm not saying this is feasible as the logistics would be a big challenge.  Unfortunately though I just don't see any other way. 

You think teams are going to “miss” games?  Or are they simply rescheduling?  
What I'm saying is that the NFL will attempt to play as many games as possible, but that you can't assume at this point that Covid will cooperate by each team needing to have no more than one game rescheduled and thus rescheduling can be accomplished by shuffling bye weeks and opponents.  In a 17-week NFL season we could still have Pit and Ten. play 16 games, with this being their bye week.  But at this point we could also have an 18-week season with them having two weeks off.  Or playing less than 16 games.  It is all unknowable now, including for the stat services.

You think teams are going to “miss” games?  Or are they simply rescheduling?  
The current schedule doesn't leave much room for rescheduling.  They can do it in this instance but what if some Titan's are testing positive next week then week 5 is in jeopardy.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if some, if not all, teams don't get a 16 game season in.

The current schedule doesn't leave much room for rescheduling.  They can do it in this instance but what if some Titan's are testing positive next week then week 5 is in jeopardy.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if some, if not all, teams don't get a 16 game season in.
Yes, well the time to do some solid planning for this by the NFL brass in New York was between March and August.    The NFL chose to allow that opportunity to pass, even while they were witnessing MLB and NBA scramble to react.     Hence this rant back in August.      They may get lucky and be able to scramble their way out of this particular Titans v Steelers reschedule mess, but I agree with you that it is unlikely this ends up as an isolated one week occurrence. 

Last edited by a moderator:

A little extreme of a reaction in terms of the wording (beat down, used as an example, etc.) but the general sentiment is not wrong whatsoever. No excuse to put yourselves, your teammates, and others at risk. Waller is such an incredible story and the desire for NFL stars to give back to the community by using their names and fame to raise money for charitable issues is fantastic, but holding an in-person event like this -- at this time -- is really misguided, and not insisting on safety precautions at the event is negligent.

I have no doubt that there are way more instances of players not being safe. 

I don't think there have been further positive cases out of the A.J. Terrell case on the Falcons (or Bears for that matter), and will be interesting to continue to monitor what happens with the Titans. Interesting in not the good kind of way. Hope we don't see continued infection and players are safe. I doubt this is the last string of outbreaks we'll see.

Titans just played the Vikings four days ago. Wouldn't it be prudent to postpone the Vikings/Houston game this week as well? This game could be what breaks the league for the season. Isolate the two teams for two weeks and we may get a semi-full season or play the Vikings/Houston game and let the virus spread like wildfire to players.

What law school did Zeke go to?

Serious response: IF Zeke got tested at a hospital and someone from the hospital leaked the info, it would be a HIPAA violation. If Zeke told the Cowboys he was positive and someone from the Cowboys leaked it, it wouldn't be.
I don't know that it was ever made public what the sequence of events were that led to the news outlets reporting Zeke as one of the first NFL Players with a confirmed c-19 positive back in June. 

I can easily envision, however, a set of NFL attorneys sitting in a Conference room in NY bringing up the HIPAA considerations when the NFL was establishing their COVID-19 reporting procedures and the NFL Finance and Exec personnel in the room telling the attorneys to pound sand, as they weren't about to let HIPAA regulations govern their decision making process.

Titans just played the Vikings four days ago. Wouldn't it be prudent to postpone the Vikings/Houston game this week as well? This game could be what breaks the league for the season. Isolate the two teams for two weeks and we may get a semi-full season or play the Vikings/Houston game and let the virus spread like wildfire to players.
Vikings are being tested daily and so far have no positives. If they continue to have none, then no need to postpone.

Users who are viewing this thread