What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL and Covid Issues - Initially Asked in Shark Pool To Keep it 100% NFL (2 Viewers)

How do you know for certain?  You have no idea when any of the players came into contact or where the transmission occurred.  You are assuming it was on the sideline from your statements about the mask wearing deficiencies during games on the sideline.  All of this is speculation and nobody really knows.  From my perspective the wearing of masks on the sideline is just window dressing.  It for sure doesn't hurt anything but I have my doubts of how much it actually helps when compared to the amount of time these guys spend practicing and in meetings throughout any given week.  If anybody has the virus it will get passed on at some point from all that contact.  The prevention really starts with all players/staff being diligent about going from home to practice/games and back home again and not taking unnecessary risks of the store, or clubs or whatever.  
Thank you, that is exactly my point.

Nobody knows anything for certain.

One certainly cannot say whether the player got Covid from his teammate by sitting next to him on the sideline for extended period or whether they got Covid from being in the locker room with the player and not social distancing or whether they violated their protocols and went to the club and got COVID. 

No one knows for certain where anyone got COVID.

but what we do know for 100% certain is that masks help to prevent the spread of COVID. 

Which means, had players sitting next to each other on the sidelines for extended periods worn masks properly, it could possibly help prevent the spread of Covid further. 

That’s all we know. And they can’t even manage to do THAT most basic thing correctly. 

Give everyone next week off (except steelers/ravens game), push the whole season forward one week.  Let everyone chill for a week and isolate.
That would make too much sense. and more to the critical point, it would cost the league & networks the almighty dollar. 

They’ll never do it. 

That would make too much sense. and more to the critical point, it would cost the league & networks the almighty dollar. 

They’ll never do it. 
I guess... but wouldn't it be the same amount of weeks in total so shouldn't revenues be the same?

It's getting bad and they can perhaps save the season by putting all teams/players on full lock down tomorrow until next Monday.

I said many times almost anyone and people come back with Armstead. If that's the only guy who had any ramifications (and it seems like they expect him to make a full recovery for next year) that's a win for the NFL.
BILLS TE TOMMY SWEENEY OUT FOR SEASON WITH MYOCARDITIS, CONNECTED TO COVID-19

“Buffalo Bills tight end Tommy Sweeney will miss the remainder of the 2020 NFL season after a cardiologist discovered he has myocarditis, a condition connected to COVID-19, the team announced on Monday.

Sweeney and fellow Bills tight ends were placed on the Reserve/COVID-19 list in October, after teammate Dawson Knox tested positive for the virus”

I guess... but wouldn't it be the same amount of weeks in total so shouldn't revenues be the same?

It's getting bad and they can perhaps save the season by putting all teams/players on full lock down tomorrow until next Monday.
Again - totally agree. 

It’s not quite the same since games are already scheduled - networks already have airtime booked. Peripheral infrastructure has already been arranged. 

They would definitely lose $.  

Again - totally agree. 

It’s not quite the same since games are already scheduled - networks already have airtime booked. Peripheral infrastructure has already been arranged. 

They would definitely lose $.  
That sucks.  It seems crazy to me how hellbent the league seems on playing this one damn game despite all the risks.  I'd be surprised if there wasn't a positive player who ends up playing in that game on Thursday and doesn't test positive until after the game. 

Pushing this game to NEXT Monday and then a regular schedule starting that Thursday night makes the most sense.  Hell, if you don't want to eliminate the SB then just cancel the week off between the conference finals and the SB.

Monday to Sunday is no big deal.  Wednesday to Monday is 5 days rest.  It's the same rest they would have had if they had played on Thanksgiving.  I think the Steelers would rather face Washington on 5 days rest vs Baltimore on 5 days rest.  And they have a gimme game on Weds now.  The Steelers are benefiting plenty from this situation.
:lmao:

If you're the Steelers, which do you prefer:

Wednesday vs an RG3 led Ravens team. (On 10 days rest)
Monday vs Washington (on 5 days rest)
Sunday vs Bills (On 6 days rest.... same as the Bills will be)

OR

Thanksgiving vs Fully loaded Ravens (On 5 days rest)
Sunday vs Washington (on 10 days rest)
Sunday vs Bills (On 7 days rest)

If you're the Steelers, which do you prefer:

Wednesday vs an RG3 led Ravens team. (On 10 days rest)
Monday vs Washington (on 5 days rest)
Sunday vs Bills (On 6 days rest.... same as the Bills will be)

OR

Thanksgiving vs Fully loaded Ravens (On 5 days rest)
Sunday vs Washington (on 10 days rest)
Sunday vs Bills (On 7 days rest)
If you ask the players I’d bet they take the latter option 

Official Prime Time Schedule over the next 8 days, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter:

Ravens vs. Steelers, Wednesday afternoon at 2:40 Eastern

Washington vs. Steelers, next Monday at 5 Eastern

Cowboys vs. Ravens, next Monday at 5 Eastern

Bills vs. 49ers, next Monday at 8 Eastern

Schedule changes now official:

Week 12 - #Ravens-#Steelers - 3:40 p.m. ET Wednesday

Week 13 - Washington-#Steelers - 5 p.m. ET Monday 12/7 Week 13 - #Cowboys-#Ravens - 8:05 p.m. ET Tuesday 12/8

per Tom Pelissero 

Last edited by a moderator:
Right. So, the Steelers / Ravens game is kicking off at 3:40 so that NBC can get us to the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree lighting ceremony on time. Because THAT can't be postponed. Make it so the entire workforce has to miss some or all of the game so we can watch a <bleep>ing Christmas tree light up on <bleep>ing TV!!? Oh, come on.. Absolute bollocks. THIS IS THE <BLEEP>ING NFL!! 

Right. So, the Steelers / Ravens game is kicking off at 3:40 so that NBC can get us to the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree lighting ceremony on time. Because THAT can't be postponed. Make it so the entire workforce has to miss some or all of the game so we can watch a <bleep>ing Christmas tree light up on <bleep>ing TV!!? Oh, come on.. Absolute bollocks. THIS IS THE <BLEEP>ING NFL!! 
user name checks out. 

Start the game at 5:30 and show the <bleep>ing tree lighting on tape delay! They're lighting up a <bleep>ing tree for <bleep>s sake! WHO NEEDS TO SEE THAT LIVE, YOU DONKEYS?! 

Love your scrambled eggs, but your risotto is a tad overrated.

Wednesday at 3:40pm?  What in the wide world of sports is going on???

Also it sounds like Dobbins and Ingram will be cleared to play Wednesday.  I have to say the Ravens managed to get a pretty good deal for completely screwing up.
How did they screw up?

Patriots placed Julian Edelman on the reserve/COVID list.

Edelman is also still on injured reserve and has yet to practice since initially suffering a "bone-on-bone" knee injury back in October. The Patriots will continue to move forward with Jakobi Meyers, Damiere Byrd, and N'Keal Harry in three-wide sets for the foreseeable future. It's unclear if Edelman tested positive or if he was merely moved to the list as a victim of close contact.

- Field Yates

Honestly if I had anything whatsoever to do with the management of the Rockefeller Center tree lighting ceremony, I'd probably tell the NFL to sit and spin as well. Wouldn't even care if it got aired or not, we're lighting this thing when it's time. You guys do your own nonsense.

Honestly if I had anything whatsoever to do with the management of the Rockefeller Center tree lighting ceremony, I'd probably tell the NFL to sit and spin as well. Wouldn't even care if it got aired or not, we're lighting this thing when it's time. You guys do your own nonsense.
So film it at 8 and air it at <bleep>ing 9! Who the hell cares about seeing a <bleep>ing tree light up live? 

Ah right.  So maybe more time for Lamar to get back?

I agree it's about money, I just figured the NFL would try to spin it as it's to give the Ravens extra time.
League def is moving for $$$. Steelers would probably be very unhappy about playing the Bills on an additional day less rest. And the Bills as well. Ravens should be the ones moved since they messed up but I’m sure the same Steelers dummy who can’t see a difference between the Ravens outbreak and the Broncos outbreak will say it’s because the league is playing favorites since it does happen to benefit the Ravens getting players back.

League def is moving for $$$. Steelers would probably be very unhappy about playing the Bills on an additional day less rest. And the Bills as well. Ravens should be the ones moved since they messed up but I’m sure the same Steelers dummy who can’t see a difference between the Ravens outbreak and the Broncos outbreak will say it’s because the league is playing favorites since it does happen to benefit the Ravens getting players back.
Again, how did they mess up?

Their strength and conditioning coach broke protocol, which likely resulted in the outbreak.
Ya one guy did.  The players didn't.  Is Conner at fault for getting it too?  I just think that this thing is gonna go around, so many people re going to get it, blaming people doesn't really do much.

But yes, I do think the Steelers are getting hugely lucky this week to play a short handed Ravens team.  They are very slightly put out by getting 5 days before Washington, and no change in getting 6 days before the Bills.  Overall I think they have a better shot to go 3-0 than if there had been no Ravens Covid case.

I wanted to wait to see if anyone was posting it but all I see is a lot of back and forth. Are people conveniently omitting the fact that the only reason the game was postponed another half day is players worried about not practicing/getting hurt?

Again, how did they mess up?
Like others said a coach broke several protocols surely you’ve followed that as you’re pretty clued in. And we can’t just solely blame the coach. Everyone else shares at least a small portion of blame for not calling him on his stupidity and carelessness.

Like others said a coach broke several protocols surely you’ve followed that as you’re pretty clued in. And we can’t just solely blame the coach. Everyone else shares at least a small portion of blame for not calling him on his stupidity and carelessness.
Ya.  And Pitt deserves blame too.  As do the Pats.  Actually every single team this year (I'm assuming.  But has there been any team without a player that tested positive this year?) deserves the same blame.  This was potentially one coach who screwed up.... don't see any reason for them to get any more flack then any other team that had 1 positive case.

Ya one guy did.  The players didn't.  Is Conner at fault for getting it too?  I just think that this thing is gonna go around, so many people re going to get it, blaming people doesn't really do much.

People get it.  It's going around.  But the Raven's staff member was caught breaking protocol.  To my knowledge, Connor has not been caught breaking protocol.  There is a big difference there and yes the Ravens as a team deserve blame (when one of their employees was the cause of this because of breaking protocol).

Ya.  And Pitt deserves blame too.  As do the Pats.  Actually every single team this year (I'm assuming.  But has there been any team without a player that tested positive this year?) deserves the same blame.  This was potentially one coach who screwed up.... don't see any reason for them to get any more flack then any other team that had 1 positive case.
Every team has had infections. They didn’t lead to massive breakouts other than Tennessee. The assumption is that’s a reflection of the protocols taken at minimum by the infected person and probably a reflection of the entire team’s attention to detail on that front. Granted it’s a virus and extremely hard to track and we’re dealing in small sample’s here. But it seems reasonable to me to judge a team’s protocol following by the size of their outbreak.

Users who are viewing this thread