What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL and Covid Issues - Initially Asked in Shark Pool To Keep it 100% NFL (3 Viewers)

Given that the practice squad QB was playing the role of Cam in practice I definitely think it's a big concern that KC defensive players are at risk

-QG

We’re probably going to see a lot of fantasy teams swapping backup QBs in trades with the shuffling of byes that will be happening. I’d try to trade for Fitzpatrick this week if you need a one week fill in. Great matchup and shouldn’t cost too much (may be able to swap for Jones). 
[becauseyouallcare]

In my two money leagues, it helps that QBs are way undervalued by the scoring system -- in a 12 team league, maybe 18-20 are rostered at any one time and a lot of owners carry lottery-ticket RBs/WRs instead of 2nd QBs. Guys like Fitzpatrick, Kirk Cousins, and Nick Foles are out there for the taking. Went with Foles in the league I was going to start Mahomes.

[/becauseyouallcare]

We’re probably going to see a lot of fantasy teams swapping backup QBs in trades with the shuffling of byes that will be happening. I’d try to trade for Fitzpatrick this week if you need a one week fill in. Great matchup and shouldn’t cost too much (may be able to swap for Jones). 
It’s a dynasty superflex league. No one is trading QBs on the cheap. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s a dynasty superflex league. No one is treading QBs on the cheap. lol
Yikes. That makes things so much tougher.

Titans now up to 16 total infected... 8 players and 8 personal. 

No way the Pats and KC play unless those prove to be false positive tests.

Titans now up to 16 total infected... 8 players and 8 personal. 

No way the Pats and KC play unless those prove to be false positive tests.
Titans-Bills in Week 5 looking iffy, too.

EDIT: At least that's what this guy said.

A Monday or Tuesday start didn't come off with the Steelers-Titans ... so my working assumption is that Patriots-Chiefs is scratched as well. All Chiefs are out of my lineups as of now. Will re-assess tomorrow within 30 minutes of the early games, but I doubt there's any certainty 23 hours from now re: a Monday or Tueday Pats-Chiefs game. Who's to say a Tuesday-night game doesn't get yanked last-minute?
This is a nightmare for FF managers. Anyone having Mahomes, Hill, Kelce, etc. undoubtedly will have them in the lineup for a Tuesday game.  If the game is suddenly postponed after Sunday, That only leaves the Monday night game for replacement.  Or managers can bench their studs just in case, only to have them star on Tuesday.  No good options there.  

So ESPN fantasy sites have the Patriots/Chiefs players on a bye this week.
Yahoo! is known for going verbatim off whatever the NFL rules, so right now they have the game still at Sun 4:25 because it's not known what day they will officially play. Once they know for sure they will make the change.

This is a nightmare for FF managers. Anyone having Mahomes, Hill, Kelce, etc. undoubtedly will have them in the lineup for a Tuesday game.  If the game is suddenly postponed after Sunday, That only leaves the Monday night game for replacement.  Or managers can bench their studs just in case, only to have them star on Tuesday.  No good options there.  
I'm letting everyone submit on the message board a lineup in the event that the game is played this week and a lineup in the event that it is canceled.   Not sure what else to do. 

If I were a commish ... I'd let push hard to let teams "best ball" their Chiefs and Patriots even in a non-bestball league. Easy walkovers aren't the point of FF. And IMHO, it's not an "injuries and byes are part of the game!" thing. To me, it's more akin to, say, a radiological accident near a stadium and they need to keep taking readings, or finding out the stadium has a structural defect that has to be cleared.

EDIT: What psychobillies wrote above.

I resent my league our COVID rules... people already complaining unfair. This is why I reduced fees this year because I knew it would be unfair / impossible.

If ESPN/NFL doesn't decide a player has a COVID related IR then people have to drop players. Defies the purpose of having a COVID-IR but I think it is what it is. I don't know a way around it besides changing it to bench spots which opens up more can of worms. 

I'm going with default rules and not doing anything like manually editing scores and stuff and policing. Rather take myself out of the loop as much as possible as commish. This shouldn't be a second job. 

If Chiefs play Tuesday instead, they will have to play 3 games in 10 days. 
IMHO, that Week 6 Thursday night game would then need to be insta-rescheduled to the following Sunday. No money considerations, no network or advertising considerations. The league can cut the network a check, and say "Sorry, no game Thursday".

Will they? Who knows.

I'm letting everyone submit on the message board a lineup in the event that the game is played this week and a lineup in the event that it is canceled.   Not sure what else to do. 
We are doing contingency players for the Pats-Chiefs game (or any other games in this scenario)...if you are starting a player from that game you name a contingency player from your roster...if the Chiefs-Pats play things stay as is but if that game gets cancelled you will get the points of your contingency player.

I resent my league our COVID rules... people already complaining unfair. This is why I reduced fees this year because I knew it would be unfair / impossible.

If ESPN/NFL doesn't decide a player has a COVID related IR then people have to drop players. Defies the purpose of having a COVID-IR but I think it is what it is. I don't know a way around it besides changing it to bench spots which opens up more can of worms. 

I'm going with default rules and not doing anything like manually editing scores and stuff and policing. Rather take myself out of the loop as much as possible as commish. This shouldn't be a second job. 
Good call.

We did the same... agreed to no entry fee/prize money this year. Playing for fun (or lack thereof).

As a result nobody really surprised or upset.

Don’t feel bad. I told my league at our draft that the NFL didn’t announce a plan on postponements, so I’m not going to bend over backwards to try to accommodate everyone. I advised owners to make sure they draft backups at every position and be active on waivers and trades. We have 9 bench spots so I didn’t expand rosters either. I added two IR spots for Covid. You’re right, this shouldn’t be a second job. It’s thankless enough as is. 

I'm surprised.

It seems like the right and easy decision but I'm a bit of a stickler on not adjusting rules in-season. I'm not one of them, this is going to help me immensely if the KC vs NE does not go off as I have no backup for Mahomes on a few teams to say nothing of some D's and K's, but the people out their that actually sacrificed roster spots to be prepared for this are going to be on tilt and from their POV rightfully so.

I'm surprised.

It seems like the right and easy decision but I'm a bit of a stickler on not adjusting rules in-season. I'm not one of them, this is going to help me immensely if the KC vs NE does not go off as I have no backup for Mahomes on a few teams to say nothing of some D's and K's, but the people out their that actually sacrificed roster spots to be prepared for this are going to be on tilt and from their POV rightfully so.
Do you play in FFPC with the name menobrown? If so, I am in a league with you are menobrown VIII?

Don’t feel bad. I told my league at our draft that the NFL didn’t announce a plan on postponements, so I’m not going to bend over backwards to try to accommodate everyone. I advised owners to make sure they draft backups at every position and be active on waivers and trades. We have 9 bench spots so I didn’t expand rosters either. I added two IR spots for Covid. You’re right, this shouldn’t be a second job. It’s thankless enough as is. 
Yup totally agree. Some of these posts have good ideas but there's downside to every proposal so I want to avoid "self-inflicted" pain. If it's the NFL's fault they can blame them. But no one should blame me if I take myself out of the equation. I'm not being partial to any team or unjustly enriching myself by imposing bad policy on my opponent.

I did everything I could pre-season: put in policies for refunds / sudden death playoffs / 4 COVID-IRs. They have like 7 bench spots on top of that too. Your fault you only have Mahomes! If they want to change rules they have majority vote to. All in constitution. Sadly, part of me is hoping season gets cancelled so I don't have to deal with drama and texts asking X/Y/Z.

Good call.

We did the same... agreed to no entry fee/prize money this year. Playing for fun (or lack thereof).

As a result nobody really surprised or upset.
Yeah, honestly my whole league wanted in except me.. I really wanted out because I didn't want to deal with this but since everyone else wanted in and no one left we did it. I warned them this was going to be a cluster- and said I'm dropping fees 50%. I thought about going lower but everyone was good with it even at 100%.... Their fault, I warned them.

All else aside, the language here bothers me. The game is “tentatively scheduled for Monday or Tuesday”. 

:sadbanana:

If it’s “scheduled”, even tentatively, it would be a specific day. 

If it is “Monday or Tuesday”, then it is not tentatively scheduled. They’re just spitballing options. 

Your fault you only have Mahomes!
As someone who chose a lotto RB5 over a backup to Mahomes, I can agree to an extent from a general roster management standpoint. It was a gamble I took, and I had to be prepared to adjust my roster if something happened.

Where I disagree with you, though, is in starting-lineup management. That's because right now, the Chiefs-Patriots game is in an uncertain state and owners can't make concrete plans regarding KC and NE players. Forcing owners to make a call on those players before noon Sunday -- when the NFL itself won't have a final decision on whether the game will be played Week 4 --- leads to too many walkover games IMHO, especially where Mahomes is benched for a guy on the Daniel Jones tier (a league-dependent consideration, to be sure).

I'm surprised.

I don't like this at all.  It's a shot to those who prepared accordingly with extra QBs/Ks/Defs.  Everyone knew the rules going in.  They don't bail people out for Saturday injuries, why the bail out for this?

yep. i have ben and cam in two leagues. lost ben but figured i was ok going into the weekend with cam. guess not.
Similar deal here.  I have Hill and Kelce. Either of my (much crappier) replacement players play early a Sunday, so looks like I’ll have to make a call Sunday morning which way to go. But things move fast so maybe the KC game will be pushed a few weeks out and at least give us some clarity (but FFPC waiver runs only being Wed/Fri really sucks in this case). 

ETA: just saw the post about FFPC running special waivers on Sunday morning. Im not on twitter so thanks to poster for mentioning that here. FFPC is an odd operation. They post that very important news on twitter but haven’t put a big ole banner across all league home pages saying that as well?

Kelce owners: If for some reason Lions TE T.J. Hockenson is available (unrostered in 18% of CBS leagues and 13% of Yahoo leagues), pick him up and start with confidence. The Saints are horrendous against TEs, and have both starting CBs out tomorrow so a bunch of the DBs will be shifting into unfamiliar roles.

Users who are viewing this thread