Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

PIT-TEN To Be Postponed


Joe Bryant

Recommended Posts

52 minutes ago, Doug B said:

I agree with you, but I thought that all the NFL tests were virtually insta-tests (results within a few hours, at worst).

 

46 minutes ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

The test results are back within 12 hours. 

Correct that 'test results' are back within 12 hrs. 

I misstated as it takes up to 7 days after exposure where someone can test positive and someone within this thread states it can take up to two weeks and someone can still test positive after being exposed where earlier tests do not test positive.  The NFL statement states 'up-to 7 days'.

Per Anarchy99 - ""... It takes 3-7 days or more from the time someone is exposed until they test positive. Testing them before they are able to test positive will yield a negative result in 15 minutes or 12 hours (or however long it takes to get the result). But that doesn’t mean they are not infected, but they would still be contagious. "

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Gold Fox said:

So why is it that the NFL didn’t apply this postponement strategy last week when the Atlanta player tested positive prior to the game? 
 

What makes this situation different? Is there a hidden threshold on how many positive tests are allowed?  If two patriots test positive Saturday, will they postpone the KC/NE game? 

As far as I know, the league has not disclosed their policy on what makes a game a "go" or a "no go". But in this case, TEN has reported that some players that tested positive have displayed symptoms (where as the Atlanta player may have been asymptomatic). Maybe that is the tipping point. Maybe it is the total number of people that tested positive. Maybe it's due to more people have tested positive with each passing day. But the league hasn't offered up an explanation as of yet.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Workhorse said:

If the Titans outbreak spreads, I'd bet that next week's game against the Bills is in jeopardy as well.

 

If this happens, it probably means the Titans would *also* not be playing in week 5. 

Now they'd have 2 games lost. 

That's when things really start to spiral out of control for the league. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

Titans head coach Mike Vrabel said he hopes the team can open the team facility on Monday or Tuesday. 

The Titans' Week 4 game against Pittsburgh was postponed after the Titans reported a COVID-19 outbreak among players, coaches, and staffers. Vrabel said the team would conduct daily testing through Monday. The Titans seem likely to play Week 5. That could change in a fluid situation. 

SOURCE: Jim Wyatt on Twitter

Oct 1, 2020, 11:51 AM ET

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

If this happens, it probably means the Titans would *also* not be playing in week 5. 

Now they'd have 2 games lost. 

That's when things really start to spiral out of control for the league. 

Maybe . . . maybe not. It depends how many new TEN players test positive and when. By next weekend, it will have been nearly two weeks. Those that tested positive would certainly have been isolated and not infecting other teammates. That's where the league might be able to say those that tested positive are out and those that never tested positive can play. By then, everyone should have been well past the time it takes to have tested positive, so there would be a much higher degree of certainty and safety by then.

If I had to guess, any TEN player that tested negative would probably be allowed to practice Tues or Weds next week. If the league wanted to play it safe, maybe they would move the game to Monday night. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Fear The Turtle said:

Not sure if this is the right thread but I commish an ESPN league and want to be able to let teams move Tenn & Pitts players to the IR. The site says they are not eligible for the IR. Is there an override or another solution? TIA

My league has the same issue. No luck so far. We also tried to expand the general roster size but that doesn't seem to be allowed either.

So far, our only workaround is to let people temporarily drop TEN/PIT players, re-adding them next week.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Fear The Turtle said:

Not sure if this is the right thread but I commish an ESPN league and want to be able to let teams move Tenn & Pitts players to the IR. The site says they are not eligible for the IR. Is there an override or another solution? TIA

Never used ESPN, but is there a setting somewhere where you can make ANYONE be able to go on IR?

Another option would be to add an extra roster spot (or 2 or 3) for everyone, but let the league know that you can only use them if you have a steeler/titan on your roster.  Obviously you'd need the honour system, or could go in as commish and drop the guy if someone without a steeler/titan picked someone else up.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Joe Summer said:

My league has the same issue. No luck so far. We also tried to expand the general roster size but that doesn't seem to be allowed either.

So far, our only workaround is to let people temporarily drop TEN/PIT players, re-adding them next week.

 

You can't add a roster spot mid season?  Seems very odd.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Maybe . . . maybe not. It depends how many new TEN players test positive and when. By next weekend, it will have been nearly two weeks. Those that tested positive would certainly have been isolated and not infecting other teammates. That's where the league might be able to say those that tested positive are out and those that never tested positive can play. By then, everyone should have been well past the time it takes to have tested positive, so there would be a much higher degree of certainty and safety by then.

If I had to guess, any TEN player that tested negative would probably be allowed to practice Tues or Weds next week. If the league wanted to play it safe, maybe they would move the game to Monday night. 

 

Unless the TEN outbreak continues to spread & more players/personnel test positive in the interim. That would restart the clock. I'm just thinking in hypotheticals here, but it is important to remember that these things aren't isolated incidents & don't live in a vacuum. It is also possible given the nature of COVID that some Vikings players test positive in the interim.

For now things look pretty good - it's also worth noting that I think the NFL is doing the right thing in how they're handling this insofar as how to handle it without cancelling the season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Joe Summer said:

My league has the same issue. No luck so far. We also tried to expand the general roster size but that doesn't seem to be allowed either.

So far, our only workaround is to let people temporarily drop TEN/PIT players, re-adding them next week.

 

Commish should be able to add bench spots at any point in the season. I know Yahoo allows this, as does CBS, RT, ESPN & MFL. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Fear The Turtle said:

I agree with you but the site says you can't change roster settings once the draft has been held.

 

 

11 minutes ago, Joe Summer said:

My league has the same issue. No luck so far. We also tried to expand the general roster size but that doesn't seem to be allowed either.

So far, our only workaround is to let people temporarily drop TEN/PIT players, re-adding them next week.

 

Not that it's really relevant if you guys have decided to allow this anyways, but it seems the NFL is going to adjust some things and just make this TENN/PITT's Bye weeks.  So you really don't need to make any exceptions for an IR if this is the case.  They should just sit on the rosters as it is their bye week, as they wont have another one later.

But if your league is set on allowing them on IR, I have no idea what to suggest if that site for some reason doesn't allow you to add a roster spot

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Unless the TEN outbreak continues to spread & more players/personnel test positive in the interim. That would restart the clock. I'm just thinking in hypotheticals here, but it is important to remember that these things aren't isolated incidents & don't live in a vacuum. It is also possible given the nature of COVID that some Vikings players test positive in the interim.

For now things look pretty good - it's also worth noting that I think the NFL is doing the right thing in how they're handling this insofar as how to handle it without cancelling the season. 

I am not a doctor, but I sort of disagree with the restarting the clock part. Everyone from TEN has been separated, so the clock would only restart if they were all intermingled. That's why people that test positive are isolated. Once those that have not tested positive hit the 10 day mark of consistently testing negative (I believe that is what the CDC is going with these days), then they should be considered cleared and good to go.

IIRC, the rules for people that tested positive but did not show any symptoms (ie asymptomatic cases) may also be considered ok after 10 days, but I am not 100% sure on that one. Maybe the league has implemented a full 2 week quarantine rule for anyone testing positive. But anyone that tested positive and started showing symptoms from the Titans won't be able to play against the Bills if they play as scheduled (unless I am missing something that the scientific and healthcare community has said).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

2 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

IIRC, the rules for people that tested positive but did not show any symptoms (ie asymptomatic cases) may also be considered ok after 10 days, but I am not 100% sure on that one. Maybe the league has implemented a full 2 week quarantine rule for anyone testing positive. But anyone that tested positive and started showing symptoms from the Titans won't be able to play against the Bills if they play as scheduled (unless I am missing something that the scientific and healthcare community has said).

Again, things don't exist in a vacuum. The issue I'm referring to is contact tracing. 

If more players / personnel test positive, then they need to do the contact tracing on everyone that new batch of players came into contact with. Those players/team personnel will then need to be tested/quarantined for a given period until their tests are confirmed. 

And if any of those folks test positive....and so on, and so on. Every new case is a potential disaster. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In our league, our commish is creating a new league and manually inputting all of our draft picks and roster moves just because our IR spots can't be used for players on bye (or "postponed"). EDIT: He's adding two additional roster spots and creating an honor-system for how to use those, i.e. only for Covid-related absences.

I don't agree with this but it's what the league wants to do. 

My feeling is TN/PIT players are effectively on their bye week now so any frustration as to how to replace them is exactly the same bye-week hell frustration everyone feels when their starters on a bye. 

This will actually give guys with TN/PIT players an advantage because they won't have to drop players they want to keep in order to add guys to fill-in for byes. 

While everyone else has to deal with bye week choices, TN/PIT owners don't. 

But whatever. It is what it is. Hate that our commish has to deal with this headache though. 

Edited by ATB
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ATB said:

In our league, our commish is creating a new league and manually inputting all of our draft picks and roster moves just because our IR spots can't be used for players on bye (or "postponed"). 

I don't agree with this but it's what the league wants to do. 

My feeling is TN/PIT players are effectively on their bye week now so any frustration as to how to replace them is exactly the same bye-week hell frustration everyone feels when their starters on a bye. 

This will actually give guys with TN/PIT players an advantage because they won't have to drop players they want to keep in order to add guys to fill-in for byes. 

While everyone else has to deal with bye week choices, TN/PIT owners don't. 

But whatever. It is what it is. Hate that our commish has to deal with this headache though. 

That's madness lol. 

And ya you're totally right, this turns into an advantage for them. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Joe Summer said:

They're not going to make any team forfeit over this. That sort of thing would just encourage players to hide symptoms, or, worse, it would incentivize germ warfare.

 

This game is postponed because of the positive tests, not the symptoms. You can't hide from the test.

In terms of incentivizing I think it could help teams, mainly coaches who I have read are the worst violators, to adhere to the protocols. Understanding you can adhere and still end up positive but it certainly would not hurt compliance.

In terms of incentivizing germ warfare, if we are going to go down that rabbit hole, you got week 17 with nothing but division matchups. So now if we want to look at possible insidious behavior if a team who a loss could impact their playoff standings but not their win percentage they could get a few people infected, get came cancelled and take an extra bye week before the playoffs. This is of course far fetched, but one could argue less so then germ warfare.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Joe Summer said:

My league has the same issue. No luck so far. We also tried to expand the general roster size but that doesn't seem to be allowed either.

So far, our only workaround is to let people temporarily drop TEN/PIT players, re-adding them next week.

 

This is what I am doing with the league I commish on ESPN.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Gold Fox said:

So why is it that the NFL didn’t apply this postponement strategy last week when the Atlanta player tested positive prior to the game? 
 

What makes this situation different? Is there a hidden threshold on how many positive tests are allowed?  If two patriots test positive Saturday, will they postpone the KC/NE game? 

Two things make this situation different:

1. Contact tracing concluded that Terrell was not within 6 feet of anyone for 15 minutes which is NFL guideline.

2. No other positive tests.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe there is another thread addressing this already, but I didn't have time to look.  How are Fantasy Leagues addressing the bye?  Off the top of my head, this only works if the league changes both of their regular bye weeks to week 4.

For total points leagues, you need to be careful. You can't set a full lineup in week 4, get points, then have the ability to get additional points when these teams eventually (say week 18).  As I mentioned, if they make this their new bye week it should solve the problem. If not, how is it going to be handled?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, ATB said:

In our league, our commish is creating a new league and manually inputting all of our draft picks and roster moves just because our IR spots can't be used for players on bye (or "postponed"). EDIT: He's adding two additional roster spots and creating an honor-system for how to use those, i.e. only for Covid-related absences.

I don't agree with this but it's what the league wants to do. 

My feeling is TN/PIT players are effectively on their bye week now so any frustration as to how to replace them is exactly the same bye-week hell frustration everyone feels when their starters on a bye. 

This will actually give guys with TN/PIT players an advantage because they won't have to drop players they want to keep in order to add guys to fill-in for byes. 

While everyone else has to deal with bye week choices, TN/PIT owners don't. 

But whatever. It is what it is. Hate that our commish has to deal with this headache though. 

This is a crazy, excessively difficult way to do this. lol

Why can't the commish just perform a handful of add/drops before/after the games this weekend? That would require 1/100 of the work. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, ATB said:

My feeling is TN/PIT players are effectively on their bye week now so any frustration as to how to replace them is exactly the same bye-week hell frustration everyone feels when their starters on a bye. 

 

the issue at hand is that this is only true for redraft leagues that have immediate FA add/drop policies. for dynasty, waiver, auction, etc. leagues, owners would have planned for bye weeks before the season even started.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Neither team will have any active scoring for this week. So IMO it's like they are on a bye this week (which they are). The most likely outcome is the game gets rescheduled for Week 8, PIT moves their game from that week to Week 7 (or something like that . . . I may have the week numbers wrong). Fantasy wise, all that happens is the bye weeks move to this week instead of later in the season. The other (less likely) option is they play the game after the regular season is over, in which case those players still didn't play in Week 4. Bottom line, there is nothing to "address" . . . it's just going to mean fewer players to draw from for this week.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Goooals said:

Maybe there is another thread addressing this already, but I didn't have time to look.  How are Fantasy Leagues addressing the bye?  Off the top of my head, this only works if the league changes both of their regular bye weeks to week 4.

For total points leagues, you need to be careful. You can't set a full lineup in week 4, get points, then have the ability to get additional points when these teams eventually (say week 18).  As I mentioned, if they make this their new bye week it should solve the problem. If not, how is it going to be handled?  

Maybe you should find time to look.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Pigskin Fanatic said:

the issue at hand is that this is only true for redraft leagues that have immediate FA add/drop policies. for dynasty, waiver, auction, etc. leagues, owners would have planned for bye weeks before the season even started.

I hate to beat a dead horse, but we all knew going into the season that something like this would happen . . . not could . . . would. That's the way the ball bounces. The quick fix for redraft leagues that have roster limit requirements and no IR spots is to allow owners to pick up interim replacements and have the commissioner add and drop players, playout the weekend, and then drop and add the players back once the games are all played. It's an imperfect situation but leagues will have to manage as best they can.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, VikingFrog said:

Maybe you should find time to look.

Maybe you should find another site to post on with your valuable comments. 

Anyhow - The examples above don't work.

Pit already has a game in week 7

If they play in week 18, you can't get points for that game if you already played lineups through week 17. Looking for other threads now per the brilliant suggestion above. 

Edited by Goooals
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I knew this season would have issues. If I didn't plan for that I feel like it's my fault. I don't believe changes need to be made. It's a shame it's affecting my team (both my fantasy team and my Steelers) but that's how it goes. That's my attitude on this. Most of my leagues are not making any changes or adjustments to accommodate. I'm commissioner of none of them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Goooals said:

Maybe you should find another site to post on with your valuable comments. 

I attempt to add value to my posts on this site. You open up your first sentence with the fact that you are too lazy “don’t have time” to look it up. There’s a thread 3 posts down about this very subject where many managers and commissioners are discussing it and bouncing ideas off each other on how they may handle it.

Go look in that thread.  If you need me to add value I will post the link for you here. 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

This is a crazy, excessively difficult way to do this. lol

Why can't the commish just perform a handful of add/drops before/after the games this weekend? That would require 1/100 of the work. 

Right, way too much work. I'm going with the Joe Summer solution: allow the temporary dropping of Pitt/Tenn players. To answer your earlier question: ESPN is free.

CBS, a pay site where I'm a member of a league, has reverted to last year's records for some strange reason. The rosters are current but the records and scores are from 2019. This happened to anyone else?

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Fear The Turtle said:

CBS, a pay site where I'm a member of a league, has reverted to last year's records for some strange reason. The rosters are current but the records and scores are from 2019. This happened to anyone else?

Just checked - my league is fine at CBS. 

But the BYE for TEN/PIT players are listed as 4.6 and 4.7, respectively. Which is....odd.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Just checked - my league is fine at CBS. 

But the BYE for TEN/PIT players are listed as 4.6 and 4.7, respectively. Which is....odd.

CBS can't be sure what the rescheduling will be down the road until it gets something definitive from the NFL, so it is leaving the original byes in place.  Meanwhile, it has to figure out what to do for this week, and is taking the path of least resistance by designating the two teams as on byes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seems like they’ll have to reshuffle the schedule. I don’t think Week 18 is a viable option.

Easiest solution would be cancel the first BAL-PIT game, reSchedule PIT-TEN Week 7, that becomes BAL bye week.

Next week play the rescheduled BAL-PIT game when they are both scheduled for a bye.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Go DC Yourself said:

CBS can't be sure what the rescheduling will be down the road until it gets something definitive from the NFL, so it is leaving the original byes in place.  Meanwhile, it has to figure out what to do for this week, and is taking the path of least resistance by designating the two teams as on byes.

That explanation worked yesterday, but I believe the NFL has officially changed both TEN & PIT's BYEs to week 4.  I would think that's how CBS would list it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

Seems like they’ll have to reshuffle the schedule. I don’t think Week 18 is a viable option.

Easiest solution would be cancel the first BAL-PIT game, reSchedule PIT-TEN Week 7, that becomes BAL bye week.

Next week play the rescheduled BAL-PIT game when they are both scheduled for a bye.

In this case there is an easy fix as you described. I don't remember the weeks involved, but it basically only involves changing one other game by a week. However, if this happened for a game involving two other teams with matching bye week issues, there may not be an easy workaround.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

That explanation worked yesterday, but I believe the NFL has officially changed both TEN & PIT's BYEs to week 4.  I would think that's how CBS would list it. 

  There hasn't been anything official, just speculation on what is most likely:  https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1311724766114578433

NFL.com showing the game as "not yet scheduled" and unchanged bye weeks.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Go DC Yourself said:

  There hasn't been anything official, just speculation on what is most likely:  https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1311724766114578433

NFL.com showing the game as "not yet scheduled" and unchanged bye weeks.

Oh, ok that's weird. I thought I'd read that it was confirmed earlier. My bad. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...