What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trump/White House Covid positive thread (2 Viewers)

Example of what - The Chief of Staff spoke directly to the reporters and said it was worse than the doctors were letting on.

What is the media supposed to do with that information?
Have a nice day Sinn.  I've got a bunch of things to do today, I will leave all the speculation to you guys in here. I'm going to see what the DR says tomorrow,  but, so far it sounds like Trump is doing just fine.  

ETA: before  I go here is why it's a perfect example. Per CNN lead page right now:

The next 48 hours will be critical for President Donald Trump as he fights Covid-19, a source familiar with the President's health told reporters.

"The President's vitals over last 24 hours were very concerning and the next 48 hours will be critical in terms of his care. We are still not on a clear path to a full recovery," the source told White House pool reporters after the briefing from his doctors.

On Saturday morning, the President's physician, Navy Cmdr. Dr. Sean Conley, gave a confusing update on the President's Covid-19 condition that only raised more questions about the timeline of the President's illness.

The briefing came the morning after Trump was transported to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, which raised concerns.
I listened to the DR, nothing was confusing.  The first several days I imagine are always critical, but, so far it sounds like Trump is doing just fine. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The cover up isn't even subtle.

Between Meadows going to the Press, and then the "clean-up" by Conley has an obvious error - its embarrassing really.  Just be honest, how hard is that?
I would guess if Trump is really seriously sick, the market will take a hit, people will want Pence to take over, there will be calls for Trump to drop out of the race, and in general there would be a lot more panic. 

Again - distilling this down to "happy"/ "sad" is oversimplistic.

I'm sad for the man and the office.  I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

At the same time, I'm happy he will be forced to take COVID seriously and is seeing the inevitable results of his policies.
What on earth makes you think he will take this seriously?  He’s a sociopath. What evidence is there that reality guides his thinking?  If he survives and is able to make last ditch pitch in final weeks of campaign, all the evidence would predict he will double down on minimization, underplay angle.  It’s like smart people here aren’t paying attention.

Have a nice day Sinn.  I've got a bunch of things to do today, I will leave all the speculation to you guys in here. I'm going to see what the DR says tomorrow,  but, so far it sounds like Trump is doing just fine.  
Seriously - no idea what you are on about here.

You claimed the media were making things up.  I pointed out they were reporting what the COS was telling them.  Nobody was making things up or speculating.

If that is too hard to understand - :shrug:

Nobody here is wildly speculating on the health of the president. And, I have not seen anyone "hoping" for a poor outcome.   Sorry to disappoint you.

I would guess if Trump is really seriously sick, the market will take a hit, people will want Pence to take over, there will be calls for Trump to drop out of the race, and in general there would be a lot more panic. 
Hard to see the market reacting one way or the other.

There is an election in a month, and Biden is widely viewed as the favorite - which would be baked into the market.

Covering up how sick he may or may not be simply isn't acceptable.  There's an obligation to this country and its citizens to be up front about his condition, especially now.
I will say, I’m not sure it’s that simple. There are some legitimate reasons, particularly national security reasons, that our federal government maybe can’t always and shouldn’t always be totally truthful about what they’re saying publicly.  I don’t think that’s what is motivating any of what’s happening here, when it comes to this administration. But more generally, I don’t think the government can or should always be completely open about this stuff. 

ETA: before  I go here is why it's a perfect example. Per CNN lead page right now:

I listened to the DR, nothing was confusing.  The first several days I imagine are always critical, but, so far it sounds like Trump is doing just fine. 
That was a quote FROM THE WHITE HOUSE. 

Are you reading the posts in here?

Seriously - no idea what you are on about here.

You claimed the media were making things up.  I pointed out they were reporting what the COS was telling them.  Nobody was making things up or speculating.

If that is too hard to understand - :shrug:

Nobody here is wildly speculating on the health of the president. And, I have not seen anyone "hoping" for a poor outcome.   Sorry to disappoint you.
I added to my post. If it's not clear, I'm sorry. 

I wouldnt worry too much until the DR briefing tomorrow. Listening to the media and folks in here will drive you nuts.  

There are a few people on my social media timelines praying for Trump's demise.

There are also people on my timelines hoping that Trump wins reelection.

I don't think those two groups are coming from entirely different places (though I'm not equating the two). The ones I know personally are, to a person, very good, big-hearted people. I have witnessed their generosity and compassion up close. They generally want what's best for the world. I don't always agree with them about what's best for the world, but I recognize that they are mainly erring from a place of misdirected goodwill, not malevolence.

Some in the first group might partially enjoy seeing the President "get what's coming to him," and some in the second group might partially enjoy "owning the libs." These sentiments are, to be sure, spiteful, distasteful, and off-putting. I do not approve of them. (Again not equating them.)

But I don't want to overreact to them, either. Neither the people in the "get what's coming to him" camp nor the people in the "owning the libs" camp are evil people. They are good people who don't always have perfect judgment, and may occasionally be regrettably thoughtless. Like pretty much all of us.

People are quick to be outraged at whatever the other side is saying or doing. I recommend trying, at least for today, to subdue the outrage a bit and, if charity is impossible, to just ignore people.

Just going to post this. Wasn't he working with the President before the debate?
Debate coach Christie!

"Just hit below the belt, keep interrupting, interrupting, interrupting, he won't know what hit him. Wait, did you just cough on me?"

Even Fox News is saying there are legitimate questions about the timeline and the briefing this morning. I agree the mainstream has done a lot to discredit themselves with regard to coverage of Trump. But this ain't it, chief.

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
Example of what - The Chief of Staff spoke directly to the reporters and said it was worse than the doctors were letting on.

What is the media supposed to do with that information?
You are willing it...by commenting on how hat the White House is putting out.

I will say, I’m not sure it’s that simple. There are some legitimate reasons, particularly national security reasons, that our federal government maybe can’t always and shouldn’t always be totally truthful about what they’re saying publicly.  I don’t think that’s what is motivating any of what’s happening here, when it comes to this administration. But more generally, I don’t think the government can or should always be completely open about this stuff. 
If he is incapacitated, even being on any kind of respiratory support, then it is that simple. He may not be currently fit to lead and that responsibility needs to be temporarily passed on to Pence. And we absolutely have the right to know.

Extreme example -- A foreign adversary attacks us this afternoon. Is Trump in a condition to adequately respond? If not, he can't be leading the country right now. And we have no idea.

The fact that the Gang of 8 wasn't notified of all this is incredible 

• Smile

Except the 72 hours...clarified to 3 days.  Yeah a lot has been confusing ### to the timeline and nobody is willing anything...reporting on what Meadows said is not willing something.

I have been bouncing around the news channels, but one of them is suggesting Trump received his first experimental treatment on Wednesday morning. They were debating if doctors would have taken that as a precaution should he test positive, and they said probably not. I also thought they said Trump showed up too late to the debate Tuesday night to be tested. They were trying to figure out when he actually tested positive and it sounded like way earlier than when Trump tweeted about it. 
The story about Trump arriving "too late to be tested" is a red herring, IMO. The quote comes from Chris Wallace, but he omits a key detail: it wouldn't have mattered if Trump arrived "on time" for the debate, because candidates were not required to be tested, anyway.

I added to my post. If it's not clear, I'm sorry. 

I wouldnt worry too much until the DR briefing tomorrow. Listening to the media and folks in here will drive you nuts.  
Once again, the WH is putting out other info, blaming the media makes no sense.

Even Fox News is saying there are legitimate questions about the timeline and the briefing this morning. I agree the mainstream has done a lot to discredit themselves with regard to coverage of Trump. But this ain't it, chief.
This administration has done a lot to discredit themselves when it comes to what they say.

Except the 72 hours...clarified to 3 days.  Yeah a lot has been confusing ### to the timeline and nobody is willing anything...reporting on what Meadows said is not willing something.
???

Someone had to clarify for you 72 hours is 3 days?

That report - came from Meadows - Trump's Chief of Staff.

What is the media supposed to do with that?

The doctor has already had to issue clarifications, and will still have to clarify the clarification due to errors.

The media generate a lot of criticism, some of it justified.  This is not one of those times.  There reporting what is right in front of them - the fact that it is conflicting information is a problem of the Coms team for the Administration, not the media.

Seems like a large combination of things being given in a short period of time.

Melatonin at night to sleep?  I admit to only knowing about it as our son takes it at night as it helps him sleep better.
Just a cocktail of a bunch of stuff hoping something works. And yes, melatonin is  primarily used as a sleep aid, but I recall it being one of the drugs with anti inflammatory properties suggested for covid. Summary here:

This article summarizes the likely benefits of melatonin in the attenuation of COVID-19 based on its putative pathogenesis. The recent outbreak of COVID-19 has become a pandemic with tens of thousands of infected patients. Based on clinical features, pathology, the pathogenesis of acute respiratory disorder induced by either highly homogenous coronaviruses or other pathogens, the evidence suggests that excessive inflammation, oxidation, and an exaggerated immune response very likely contribute to COVID-19 pathology. This leads to a cytokine storm and subsequent progression to acute lung injury (ALI)/acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) and often death. Melatonin, a well-known anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidative molecule, is protective against ALI/ARDS caused by viral and other pathogens. Melatonin is effective in critical care patients by reducing vessel permeability, anxiety, sedation use, and improving sleeping quality, which might also be beneficial for better clinical outcomes for COVID-19 patients. Notably, melatonin has a high safety profile. There is significant data showing that melatonin limits virus-related diseases and would also likely be beneficial in COVID-19 patients. Additional experiments and clinical studies are required to confirm this speculation.

???

Someone had to clarify for you 72 hours is 3 days?
You are clearly out of the loop here.

Doctor Conley said "72 hours"

Later said he meant "day 3"

A different  doctor said "48 hours"

Later Dr. Conley said the he (Conley) misspoke when he said "48 hours" and meant day 2 - despite the fact, Conley never said "48 hours"

Its been a confusing message from the WH.  Media are simply reporting it as it comes out of their mouths.

If the 96% oxygen level is accurate, then the president is doing ok, right?
Yes, assuming his other vital signs were OK. Other than vaguely clarifying his oxygen saturation, they only commented on recent pulse and temperature.

Importantly, they gave the oxygen saturation with activity, as it can sometimes drop in covid with minimal exertion.

Chris Christie also positive.  
Just going to post this. Wasn't he working with the President before the debate?
Chris Christie was at the debate prep session on Sunday, along with Trump, Hope Hicks, and Kellyanne Conway.

Others in the room: Jared Kushner, Mark Meadows, Kayleigh McEnany, Alyssa Farah, Jason Miller, and Rudy Giuliani.

Christie also went to the nomination event for Amy Coney Barrett, and he accompanied Trump to the debate on Tuesday.

The story about Trump arriving "too late to be tested" is a red herring, IMO. The quote comes from Chris Wallace, but he omits a key detail: it wouldn't have mattered if Trump arrived "on time" for the debate, because candidates were not required to be tested, anyway.
I think he was just talking about the logistics of testing, not anybody's tardiness. I believe Biden also showed up "too late to be tested" -- i.e., exactly on time. The people who were tested at the site weren't traveling to Cleveland on Tuesday like the candidates were. (I could be wrong. Maybe Biden was tested there.)

Ignoratio Elenchi said:
Give tony a break, it must be exhausting trying to defend this administration at every turn. 
Link to anything I said this morning defending the administration? 

The sad thing is, assuming he recovers, he’ll continue to beat his chest about how this virus isn’t a big deal and how the Dems overstated it and he’s fine.  He’s got literally the best health care in the world. How many COVID patients have had half, or a quarter, the care and attention he’s gotten?   The rich and entitled always expect to get more and better than the middle class Joe, but here it’s even worse because while he grew up privileged, he’s also the most powerful person in the world. 

Sigh. 
He certainly was monitored more closely than the average covid patient, but unless you believe that Regeneron drug is great (too early to say based on available data), there’s nothing amazing about his care.

Link to anything I said this morning defending the administration? 
The reports we are quoting that contradict what the doctor said today came directly from the White House Chief of Staff on video. This is not the main stream media making stuff up this is the actual White House contradicting its own doctors.

I haven’t read the last few pages of this thread but seeing the discussion about 40% of Democrats being happy about Trump’s diagnosis reminded me of this tweet I saw a couple days ago:

”Over the course of three years, the number of Americans who say that they feel justified in using violence to achieve their political goals has gone up from 8 percent to over 33 percent.”

https://twitter.com/yascha_mounk/status/1311782967983960065?s=21

IIRC, Wallace said that all attendees were supposed to be tested prior to the debate (meaning the family and entourage Were expected to take a test at the site). Secondary to that, Wallace said those that were not able to be tested onsite were on the honor system that they had been tested recently and were negative. 

I don’t know who did what and when, but several doctors today said if Trump needed to be hospitalized, he had to have had symptoms and would have tested positive way earlier. So they felt he either tested positive sooner than has been stated or he showed symptoms and they didn’t test him and / or they weren’t testing him every day. Essentially, patients that were getting tested daily wouldn’t go from their first positive test to having multiple symptoms requiring hospitalization in 12 hours. 

I haven’t read the last few pages of this thread but seeing the discussion about 40% of Democrats being happy about Trump’s diagnosis reminded me of this tweet I saw a couple days ago:

”Over the course of three years, the number of Americans who say that they feel justified in using violence to achieve their political goals has gone up from 8 percent to over 33 percent.”

https://twitter.com/yascha_mounk/status/1311782967983960065?s=21
WTF. Regardless of who wins we are in serious trouble. 

• Smile
Conley clean up statement misspelled Regeneron and corrected a statement that HE didn't say. A different doctor said 48 hours. 

Oy.

• Smile
Interesting that both the White House and NFL are in crisis mode at the same time. Cam Newton and Donald Trump both trending. As the covid numbers improved on some metrics, including a big decrease in positivity until recently, complacency and wishful thinking set in.

Conley clean up statement misspelled Regeneron and corrected a statement that HE didn't say. A different doctor said 48 hours. 

Oy.
And got Regeneron wrong:

NEW: Regeneron spox Hala Mirza tells @CBSNews's @amybirn that it's incorrect to call what the President has received "polyclonal antibodies." “It is two monoclonal antibodies. It was incorrect in the physician’s letter.”

And got Regeneron wrong:

NEW: Regeneron spox Hala Mirza tells @CBSNews's @amybirn that it's incorrect to call what the President has received "polyclonal antibodies." “It is two monoclonal antibodies. It was incorrect in the physician’s letter.”
That’s not a big deal. He’s a doctor of osteopathy practicing emergency medicine, not an immunologist.

IIRC, Wallace said that all attendees were supposed to be tested prior to the debate (meaning the family and entourage Were expected to take a test at the site). Secondary to that, Wallace said those that were not able to be tested onsite were on the honor system that they had been tested recently and were negative. 

I don’t know who did what and when, but several doctors today said if Trump needed to be hospitalized, he had to have had symptoms and would have tested positive way earlier. So they felt he either tested positive sooner than has been stated or he showed symptoms and they didn’t test him and / or they weren’t testing him every day. Essentially, patients that were getting tested daily wouldn’t go from their first positive test to having multiple symptoms requiring hospitalization in 12 hours
Correct. The disease progression is well documented at this point. Patients do not go from negative to positive to hospitalization in 36 hours or less. 

Users who are viewing this thread