Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Trump/White House Covid positive thread


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, toshiba said:

He had a really bad week, makes him a little immune from criticism and changes the narrative.

 

I don't know if he is faking it, just answering your question.

Does it?  It seems to me it makes him look foolish for not taking precautions AND throws more doubt on his SC nominee being confirmed, just as two of many possible negative consequences for him.  That's where it breaks down for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As many feared and predicted, Trump is now emboldening those eager to listen to him. And unsurprisingly people are following his lead, replete with misleading statistics and macho claims about not wea

This is why I get so angry at the Mods who want to downplay this, or down play criticism of the White House - its time to stop mollycoddling people who don't, or can't, acknowledge this was, and remai

I just want to add to nothing in particular that which I thought was common knowledge. 1) Every day we are closer to a vaccine. 2) The medical experts have come A LONG way in the last 6 mont

30 minutes ago, Murph said:

The health of the president can move markets and impact national security. A bunch of schmoes gabbing on a message board can speculate at will. But a medical professional on national TV really ought to have some evidence before suggesting a prognosis.

So your saying Kudlow (one of his key economic advisers) shouldn't be out on television saying a minute ago saying he has a "very moderate case"?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, facook said:
5 minutes ago, toshiba said:

He had a really bad week, makes him a little immune from criticism and changes the narrative.

 

I don't know if he is faking it, just answering your question.

Does it?  It seems to me it makes him look foolish for not taking precautions AND throws more doubt on his SC nominee being confirmed, just as two of many possible negative consequences for him.  That's where it breaks down for me.

Honestly, I really don't know.  How the country reacts to Trump is nothing like I have seen before.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Possible advantages to faking it:

  1. Comes out in a couple weeks fully healthy and says, "See, it's no big deal!"
  2. Comes out in a couple weeks fully healthy and says, "Doctors said other people in my situation would be dead. But not me. I overcame the China virus because I'm so great."

I don't think "no big deal" would work, though, with all the other positive cases. All the other positives tells the story about how contagious it is. And if one of them dies, then hard to sell that it's not a big deal.

The "I'm so great" hoax I'd guess is more likely.

But, really, at most I'd give it a 5% chance he's faking it for some political gain. Probably not even that high. I mean, it's higher than I'd give any other hypothetical or historical President, but not super high. Up until now, I thought there was a decent chance he had already tested positive months ago and they hid it. His behavior makes him a candidate to contract the virus so my assumption has been all along that he'd get it at some point.

Edited by dgreen
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sammy3469 said:

So your saying Kudlow (one of his key economic advisers) shouldn't be out on television saying a minute ago saying he has a "very moderate case"?

I'd prefer he not. But I hope most people are smart enough to disregard any medical opinion from an economist.

  • Laughing 2
  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Murph said:

I'd prefer he not. But I hope most people are smart enough to disregard any medical opinion from an economist.

Maybe the WH should have a physician brief the US on his condition then?  Just a thought.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

How so?

 

I think its bases on known facts - Trump being tested regularly, and reports that he has shown sign of symptoms (presumably before learning of a positive test).

I don't know the medical basis - i.e. are early symptoms a bad sign?

But, the comment is based on known information, that would not need an in-person examination to learn.

I guess my thoughts are:

1.  Is he just getting tested because he's POTUS and he's going allover the country to campaign?

2.  Are we sure his symptoms are attributable to COVID-19?  I've admitted people to the hospital with severe UTI's that incidentally tested positive for COVID-19.  And while they had fevers--they never showed any respiratory symptoms.  They ended up doing well with treatment of the UTI and in many cases we felt the UTI was more of the issue than the virus.  Moreso, I've coughed and had congestion a lot the past few months.  Any other year, I'd attribute it to allergies.  It feels like allergies.  But what if it's COVID?  Hospital has required me to be tested on multiple occasions.  And I've luckily been negative.  

Trump's in his 70's.  He's  not exactly physically fit.  He could have a helluva time with it.  But a physician that hasn't been around him concluding that it's going to go badly because he's had "symptoms" early on isn't exactly take it to the bank material.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Murph said:

I'd prefer he not. But I hope most people are smart enough to disregard any medical opinion from an economist.

I get what you're saying. But, I don't see that as Kudlow's medical opinion. I assume it's more of him passing on info that he heard from someone who is qualified to make those statements. When I ask a friend how his mom is doing because I know she's been sick, I don't assume whatever he tells me is his medical opinion; it's him passing along info that he heard from a doctor.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

He plays by certain rules but if the tables ever get turned on him it’s out of bounds for anyone to act towards him the same way. 

I could only imagine what he would’ve tweeted out if Biden were the one to test positive. Crazy that people are upset because some aren’t showing compassion or empathy to a man that has none. With that being said, hopefully it’s nothing serious. At the end of the day, he’s a human being just like the rest of us. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a more accurate assessment would be:  If Trump were already requiring oxygen early on in the disease, that's pretty ominous.  Just being symptomatic, especially this time of the year with the weather changing--and flying state to state and being exposed to different allergens--I wouldn't ignore it--but I wouldn't go feeling alarmed either.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dgreen said:

I get what you're saying. But, I don't see that as Kudlow's medical opinion. I assume it's more of him passing on info that he heard from someone who is qualified to make those statements. When I ask a friend how his mom is doing because I know she's been sick, I don't assume whatever he tells me is his medical opinion; it's him passing along info that he heard from a doctor.

I guess that's fair. But knowing how this administration operates I doubt he's actually basing it on anything. Like Sammy said, the country deserves a briefing from a physician with knowledge.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, facook said:

There's definitely a part of me that wonders if it's part of some ploy.  There are just so many possible consequences it's hard to wrap my mind around how he would benefit.

Reasonings as I am reading them:

- Sympathy votes
- Wants to avoid another debate
- Fundraising
- Remove the focus on his racism and tax evasion
- He was involved with professional wrestling so is accustomed to faking drama
 

And the whooper of them all:  So he can resign and work out a pardon with Pence.  :mellow:

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I checked in on Fox News this morning to see what angles they would pursue . . .

- Their first thought was there was a high probability Trump's COVID test  was a false positive and other tests would bear that out.
- They were waiting to hear anything from the Biden camp and suggested the news broke 6 hours ago, why hadn't they responded yet (it was 7 AM when they said that).
- Someone came on and basically suggested Biden needed to introduce himself to the American people because he was in his basement for so long and was basically afraid of the virus.
- Then they started pointing out how much Trump accomplishes in the time Biden sleeps.
- They brought on a female doctor that insisted Trump was asymptomatic and this was no big deal and it wouldn't even slow Trump down.
- The NYT tweeted while they were on the air that Trump had shown some minor symptoms.
- All parties involved pointed to the WH doctor that said POTUS and FLOTUS had no symptoms and were doing great.
- Back to banging the drum that how dare the Democrats and the Biden camp not send well wishes and the NYT and MSM were blowing things out of proportion.
- Jump ahead a little bit when the WH admitted that Trump was showing some symptoms and they again started jumping on the media that this was either fake news, inaccurate reporting, or otherwise immaterial.
- Back to the doctor they had on, who again reiterated even if the president did nothing and was not even treated, he would 99.9% fully recover with little more than the sniffles.
- Then they reviewed that Trump had shown signs of fatigue, had a raspy voice, and wasn't speaking much the night before.
- Back to the doctor, who said those were all signs of a leader who was both leading the pandemic response while trying to campaign and was essentially a modern day Superman.
- Back to the Biden narrative that he wasn't even up yet and that Trump's typical day was 10x more exhausting than Biden's.
- Interspersed they were trying to figure out how soon Trump could go back out on the road and they unanimously decided he would be fine for the next debate.
- While waiting for Biden's response, they started guessing how the Dems would spin this against Trump and what barbs and jabs they would throw out into the fray.
- Biden tweeted only well wishes and thoughts and prayers for Mr. & Mrs. Trump (at which point I moved on to other things).

That was the timeline for about 2 hours worth of programming this morning. Not surprising, just a run down of how it went.

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, dgreen said:

Possible advantages to faking it:

  1. Comes out in a couple weeks fully healthy and says, "See, it's no big deal!"
  2. Comes out in a couple weeks fully healthy and says, "Doctors said other people in my situation would be dead. But not me. I overcame the China virus because I'm so great."

I don't think "no big deal" would work, though, with all the other positive cases. All the other positives tells the story about how contagious it is. And if one of them dies, then hard to sell that it's not a big deal.

The "I'm so great" hoax I'd guess is more likely.

But, really, at most I'd give it a 5% chance he's faking it for some political gain. Probably not even that high. I mean, it's higher than I'd give any other hypothetical or historical President, but not super high. Up until now, I thought there was a decent chance he had already tested positive months ago and they hid it. His behavior makes him a candidate to contract the virus so my assumption has been all along that he'd get it at some point.

More good points.

I don't think he's faking it, but I'm reading a lot of people who are full blown conspiracy theorists about this.

What's utterly bizarre to me?  Ben Carson, medical doctor, Trump cabinet member DIED because of COVID and just might have contracted it at the Tulsa Trump rally where he was maskless....and yet the entire Trump team continues to mock the idea of wearing a mask and leans into this just being like the flu, or - even worse - A HOAX.  It's just almost too hard to believe this is happening.  

Edited by General Malaise
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, jm192 said:

I guess my thoughts are:

1.  Is he just getting tested because he's POTUS and he's going allover the country to campaign?

2.  Are we sure his symptoms are attributable to COVID-19?  I've admitted people to the hospital with severe UTI's that incidentally tested positive for COVID-19.  And while they had fevers--they never showed any respiratory symptoms.  They ended up doing well with treatment of the UTI and in many cases we felt the UTI was more of the issue than the virus.  Moreso, I've coughed and had congestion a lot the past few months.  Any other year, I'd attribute it to allergies.  It feels like allergies.  But what if it's COVID?  Hospital has required me to be tested on multiple occasions.  And I've luckily been negative.  

Trump's in his 70's.  He's  not exactly physically fit.  He could have a helluva time with it.  But a physician that hasn't been around him concluding that it's going to go badly because he's had "symptoms" early on isn't exactly take it to the bank material.

 

Is it possible that this could be a false positive or is that just an highly unlikely scenario here?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

More good points.

I don't think he's faking it, but I'm reading a lot of people who are full blown conspiracy theorists about this.

What's utterly bizarre to me?  Herman Cain, medical doctor, Trump cabinet member DIED because of COVID and just might have contracted it at the Tulsa Trump rally where he was maskless....and yet the entire Trump team continues to mock the idea of wearing a mask and leans into this just being like the flu, or - even worse - A HOAX.  It's just almost too hard to believe this is happening.  

Think you are getting Cain mixed up with Carson, who is still in the Cabinet.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, General Malaise said:

Is it possible that this could be a false positive or is that just an highly unlikely scenario here?

Extremely unlikely given the infected persons he's been around, the fact that his wife tested positive, etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't imagine they've faked it. 

I don't see the upside.  He downplayed it, then got it.  The headlines write themselves.  Saying you've flown allover the country and refused to wear a mask and never caught it does more for Trump's "the virus isn't that bad" camp.  

Moreover, it kills campaign events.  It may jeopardize the next debate, which he obviously needs to perform well in.  The markets have tumbled and that hurts his economy argument and "look how great your 401K is."

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

Is it possible that this could be a false positive or is that just an highly unlikely scenario here?

The White House has access to the most accurate tests available. He's probably been tested more than once in the past 12 hours. When you combine that with all the other positive tests of people around him, plus the reports that he was showing symptoms yesterday (raspy voice + fatigue), I'd say that it's very, very, very unlikely that it's a false positive.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The letter from the WH physician discloses that the President is being treated with an experimental anti-body treatment. The president is described as “fatigued but in good spirits.”

  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Murph said:

The health of the president can move markets and impact national security. A bunch of schmoes gabbing on a message board can speculate at will. But a medical professional on national TV really ought to have some evidence before suggesting a prognosis.

Agreed...not a fan of speculation like that which can cause panic

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

I checked in on Fox News this morning to see what angles they would pursue . . .

- Their first thought was there was a high probability Trump's COVID test  was a false positive and other tests would bear that out.
- They were waiting to hear anything from the Biden camp and suggested the news broke 6 hours ago, why hadn't they responded yet (it was 7 AM when they said that).
- Someone came on and basically suggested Biden needed to introduce himself to the American people because he was in his basement for so long and was basically afraid of the virus.
- Then they started pointing out how much Trump accomplishes in the time Biden sleeps.
- They brought on a female doctor that insisted Trump was asymptomatic and this was no big deal and it wouldn't even slow Trump down.
- The NYT tweeted while they were on the air that Trump had shown some minor symptoms.
- All parties involved pointed to the WH doctor that said POTUS and FLOTUS had no symptoms and were doing great.
- Back to banging the drum that how dare the Democrats and the Biden camp not send well wishes and the NYT and MSM were blowing things out of proportion.
- Jump ahead a little bit when the WH admitted that Trump was showing some symptoms and they again started jumping on the media that this was either fake news, inaccurate reporting, or otherwise immaterial.
- Back to the doctor they had on, who again reiterated even if the president did nothing and was not even treated, he would 99.9% fully recover with little more than the sniffles.
- Then they reviewed that Trump had shown signs of fatigue, had a raspy voice, and wasn't speaking much the night before.
- Back to the doctor, who said those were all signs of a leader who was both leading the pandemic response while trying to campaign and was essentially a modern day Superman.
- Back to the Biden narrative that he wasn't even up yet and that Trump's typical day was 10x more exhausting than Biden's.
- Interspersed they were trying to figure out how soon Trump could go back out on the road and they unanimously decided he would be fine for the next debate.
- While waiting for Biden's response, they started guessing how the Dems would spin this against Trump and what barbs and jabs they would throw out into the fray.
- Biden tweeted only well wishes and thoughts and prayers for Mr. & Mrs. Trump (at which point I moved on to other things).

That was the timeline for about 2 hours worth of programming this morning. Not surprising, just a run down of how it went.

Do people still actually believe this?

I mean...regardless of what Biden actually does.  A day of tweeting and golf is his typical day it seems...that is not 10x more exhausting than much.  Though, I suppose if he just sucks...his eraser hand may get tired from changing scores.  I mean the guy drives right up to the tee box and greens from what I have seen...he isn't getting much of any exercise playing golf.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dgreen said:

"Good spirits" seems to be what people say when someone is being fairly positive despite their not-so-good health situation.

Probably just means he is loopy from the drugs, and does not yet realize they have taken away his phone.

  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

The letter from the WH physician discloses that the President is being treated with an experimental anti-body treatment. The president is described as “fatigued but in good spirits.”

Is it wise for the president to be taking "experimental" treatments?

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Do people still actually believe this?

I mean...regardless of what Biden actually does.  A day of tweeting and golf is his typical day it seems...that is not 10x more exhausting than much.  Though, I suppose if he just sucks...his eraser hand may get tired from changing scores.  I mean the guy drives right up to the tee box and greens from what I have seen...he isn't getting much of any exercise playing golf.

As somebody that 3 putts the majority of the time, I can confirm it's exhausting.

  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, General Malaise said:

Some people are saying he's faking it.....a lot of people.  

There are also people who think the earth is flat and Qanon’s following is far larger then any rational person can understand.  People think some crazy ####.  
 

0.0% chance this is fake.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

The letter from the WH physician discloses that the President is being treated with an experimental anti-body treatment. The president is described as “fatigued but in good spirits.”

Trump's physician's use of an experimental non-FDA approved drug is through a "compassionate use" request. He knows the CEO of Regeneron, who is a member of Trump's Westchester golf club. I'm ok with that, although some on Twitter are asking why does Trump get it and not others. The drug apparently increases antibody response and has few side-effects.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/02/health/trump-antibody-treatment.html#click=https://t.co/VNdRzJwOk4

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

More good points.

I don't think he's faking it, but I'm reading a lot of people who are full blown conspiracy theorists about this.

What's utterly bizarre to me?  Ben Carson, medical doctor, Trump cabinet member DIED because of COVID and just might have contracted it at the Tulsa Trump rally where he was maskless....and yet the entire Trump team continues to mock the idea of wearing a mask and leans into this just being like the flu, or - even worse - A HOAX.  It's just almost too hard to believe this is happening.  

are you sure that you really corrected this properly...

  • Laughing 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of the treatments are experimental.  But by that same token, they're authorized for emergency use for severe disease.  

He's the POTUS, so anything is possible.  They may have a full ICU with 20 beds built into the basement.  But typically speaking, not in the hospital means your disease isn't severe.  But the rules are obviously different for politicians and message board posters.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Do people still actually believe this?

I mean...regardless of what Biden actually does.  A day of tweeting and golf is his typical day it seems...that is not 10x more exhausting than much.  Though, I suppose if he just sucks...his eraser hand may get tired from changing scores.  I mean the guy drives right up to the tee box and greens from what I have seen...he isn't getting much of any exercise playing golf.

I play cart golf

  I get around 10000 steps for a round.    Trump gets a lot of exercise.     And he doesn't drink the six pack i throw into the mix.

  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, quick-hands said:

I play cart golf

  I get around 10000 steps for a round.    Trump gets a lot of exercise.     And he doesn't drink the six pack i throw into the mix.

I doubt you drive directly to your actual ball right next to it...onto the tee box...and right next to the green as he does.

Gets a lot of exercise...please.

Also...10,000 steps?  I ran 5.5 miles this morning at an average cadence of 161 steps per minute.  Given the time of my run (just under 59 minutues)...that is over 14,000 steps...there is zero chance he comes close to 10,000 steps in a round of golf.

Edited by sho nuff
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jm192 said:

Trump's in his 70's.  He's  not exactly physically fit.  He could have a helluva time with it.  But a physician that hasn't been around him concluding that it's going to go badly because he's had "symptoms" early on isn't exactly take it to the bank material.

Who would win in a foot race, Trump or Boris?

... I mean we all know Putin would out pace them all

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, quick-hands said:

I play cart golf

  I get around 10000 steps for a round.    Trump gets a lot of exercise.     And he doesn't drink the six pack i throw into the mix.

Might just be me, but I have slightly higher expectations of the President than Fitbit stats...

  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, quick-hands said:

I play cart golf

  I get around 10000 steps for a round.    Trump gets a lot of exercise.     And he doesn't drink the six pack i throw into the mix.

:lmao: I’d wager most FBGs have played at least a few rounds of golf with carts in their lifetime. It’s not exercise lol. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...