What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trump/White House Covid positive thread (3 Viewers)

ok i tried.  silly me.

you're not crazy. you're behavior appears crazy. not that there's anything wrong with that
if anyone knows anyone in central Arkansas that has covid19 PM me and I'll deliver them whatever they need - groceries, etc ... I'll donate my time and help.

covid19 doesn't scare me at all

I agree with that but I'm not a doctor and I don't know if Trump is contagious or not .... and neither do any of us.

This is anti-Trump hate because Russia failed, Stormy failed, Ukraine failed, his taxes are getting the left nowhere .... so lets find something else and if no one is really worried in Trump's circle about being close to him and him having had covid I certainly don't care - covid19 doesn't scare me. Now I DO agree if it were me I'd be more careful likely but then I wouldn't do a lot of what Trump does. I'd have not done a lot of what Obama did or Hillary or Biden either. 

I mean geeeesh ..... Trump appears to have what most have - mild symptoms and his body was successful in fighting it, his immunity was good ... why can't everyone be happy with that ?

did ya'll want him to die ?
Never mind, no idea why I tried again. Always back to the victimhood complex.

If you're actively sick with COVID-19 -- You. Wear. A. Mask. This shouldn't have ever been a controversial subject and yet, here we are.  :wall:

did ya'll go this banana's when Pelosi got her hair done without mask ? when SNL did their skit the other night without masks ?

end of football games without masks ?

maybe ya'll want to give 50 years in prison for not wearing a mask ? you know, REALLY teach people a lesson ? :(
Bananas? no.  I think those things you listed are ill-advised as well and I am not for them doing that either.    

Call me weird, but I also hold the POTUS to a way higher standard than I do actors on a set or ball players after a game too.  (Ok - I used to hold the POTUS to a higher standard.  Probably better to say I hold the office of POTUS to a higher standard?)

It makes more sense that way.  If there was a virus that killed everyone who got it, we wouldn’t want to say it has a fatality rate of less than 1% just because most people weren’t infected..  

Also, if you are using total population, you are going to get a higher number with every death. I don’t think that’s meaningful.

Fatality rate uses number infected in the denominator, not total population.
It. Doesn’t. Matter.  The numbers don’t mean anything no matter what they are.  

Minds are made up, lines have been drawn, viruses are now some how political.  Every decade or generation prior to us national tragedies brought us together. Even as recently as 9/11. Those days are gone, it’s a mad mad world we live in now.  

I mean geeeesh ..... Trump appears to have what most have - mild symptoms and his body was successful in fighting it, his immunity was good ... why can't everyone be happy with that ?
SC your partisan blinders are so thick it’s unbelievable. To compare Trump to “what most have” is absolute lunacy. He got taken to a world class medical facility almost immediately, treated by a team of doctors with unapproved experimental medication. And he’s only on day four or five with this. There is zero idea about where this could lead from here. 

It makes more sense that way.  If there was a virus that killed everyone who got it, we wouldn’t want to say it has a fatality rate of less than 1% just because most people weren’t infected..  

Also, if you are using total population, you are going to get a higher number with every death. I don’t think that’s meaningful.
In general with diseases, they're both meaningful.  What you're describing is case fatality, which is meaningful in describing the severity/impact of a disease.  Overall mortality rate (what stealth cat was describing) is also important as it gives you a sense of the overall burden of the disease and can be very important from a health policy/planning perspective.  If there was a virus where only 100 people in the country got it but it killed all 100, the case fatality would be awful but from a health policy standpoint there wouldn't be a need to do much.  Now obviously that's not the case with Covid but I think looking at overall mortality rate is still meaningful.  

ETA - but in this case I agree case fatality is more meaningful because of the contagiousness of the disease 

Last edited by a moderator:
Anarchy99 said:
So am I wrong to feel concerned that the it's-just-a-flu contingent of regular joes who test positive, have symptoms, or have been exposed to confirmed positives basically will ignore it to follow in Trump's footsteps? Because it seems to me that the WH entourage basically took a big #2 and wiped their bare bottoms with regard to CDC guidelines on pretty much everything.
I can assure you that was already happening. All this does is add an I'll informed "see i was right" to the pile of misinformation

General Malaise said:
Sorry about your mom, GB.  Lost mine two years ago and it still hurts. :(
With you GB. 2 years for me coming up in January. :(  
With both of you.  5 years recently with Dad and 2 and a half since mom passed (and her Birthday yesterday). Definitely always hurts but always great memories and life lessons too.

In general with diseases, they're both meaningful.  What you're describing is case fatality, which is meaningful in describing the severity/impact of a disease.  Overall mortality rate (what stealth cat was describing) is also important as it gives you a sense of the overall burden of the disease and can be very important from a health policy/planning perspective.  If there was a virus where only 100 people in the country got it but it killed all 100, the case fatality would be awful but from a health policy standpoint there wouldn't be a need to do much.  Now obviously that's not the case with Covid but I think looking at overall mortality rate is still meaningful.  
100% correct.  But time is a factor too in the mortality rate.  We’re only 6 months into this.  You take the mortality rate at week 2 it’s .000002%, so saying it’s only .000002% deadly while accurate doesn’t tell the whole story.   The mortality rate will continue to rise over time.  

yes because its 0.04 % fatal 

I'd think JFK being killed or Lincoln would have been more chaotic  
That wasn’t election tome.  If you don’t think. 70+ year old POTUS getting this...this close to the election makes it chaotic...not sure what to tell you.

Bananas? no.  I think those things you listed are ill-advised as well and I am not for them doing that either.    

Call me weird, but I also hold the POTUS to a way higher standard than I do actors on a set or ball players after a game too.  (Ok - I used to hold the POTUS to a higher standard.  Probably better to say I hold the office of POTUS to a higher standard?)
Also...you know, he actually has the virus and Nancy (while foolish) did not have it.

This  could be more obvious political theater, but only if Trump came charging out of Walter Reed on a red elephant, shooting off fireworks that spelled out TRUMP 2020 in the sky.

It. Doesn’t. Matter.  The numbers don’t mean anything no matter what they are.  

Minds are made up, lines have been drawn, viruses are now some how political.  Every decade or generation prior to us national tragedies brought us together. Even as recently as 9/11. Those days are gone, it’s a mad mad world we live in now.  
I was talking to my wife about this the other day, and I think it's sadly come to the point that only outside physical attacks bring us together, albeit for a short time - ie, terrorist attack, etc..   This sentiment does not seem to apply to things that are more science related but threaten us all like a pandemic.  Then it comes down to whichever side acts first and then the other party rallies against that.   It truly is sad, and I can't seem to put my finger on exactly why we act like this when other nations come together to combat this issue.  

do you know if Trump is contagious ?
Of course he's contagious.  Doesn't mean everyone he comes into contact with will get it but he is positive for a virus that we know is highly contagious.  Why can't you just admit that taking off the mask in that situation was idiotic and irresponsible?  But I'm sure it was a deliberate move on his part.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll tell you what I didn't think a week ago:

That in seven days, the only people expressing concern for the president's health, would be progressives. 

Unreal. 
I promise there is a non-vocal pool of moderates that feel the same. We just don't have the tolerance to deal with this lunacy, so our presence can be more easily glossed over. If a tree falls in the woods but no one is around to hear it...

I promise there is a non-vocal pool of moderates that feel the same. We just don't have the tolerance to deal with this lunacy, so our presence can be more easily glossed over. If a tree falls in the woods but no one is around to hear it...
You really touch on a larger problem: the extreme voices become amplified, and are inserted as the prevailing thought

That wasn’t election tome.  If you don’t think. 70+ year old POTUS getting this...this close to the election makes it chaotic...not sure what to tell you.
70+ year old POTUS getting this ...when a central message has been that his opponent doesn't have the physical/mental capacity to lead the nation.  The latter was speculation, albeit supported by some indications that Biden has slowed.  But now that speculation applies more directly to Trump, given the unknown, long-term effects of Covid.  These include indications of ongoing issues, including a mental "fog," that should be a serious concern.

do you know if Trump is contagious ?
Yes.

On average, people with COVID are contagious for at least 10 days after symptoms first appear. Due to the lack of communication from the White House, we don't know exactly when Trump first experienced symptoms, but it is believed to have happened sometime on Thursday. Therefore, Trump will remain contagious until at least the 11th.

Such a reputational risk by the president by returning to the WH.  If he regresses - a distinct possibility - and has to return to the hospital?  Oof.  That more than negates the SUV ride; the photo op; the dramatic return to the WH. It will heighten the seriousness of the virus and his illness, and it will make him look weak, literally and figuratively.   I think you could argue that this was an "all in" bet he made on his presidency.

Because someone who doesn't get the virus can't die from the virus?

If there are 50 people in a group of 50 holding an apple and someone asks you how many are holding oranges, the answer isn't 50 
if 50 people in a group you say 0% are holding oranges 100% is holding apples

if 330 million people are holding 200,000 apples, you say 200,000 are holding apples and that % is of the 330 million

Yes.

On average, people with COVID are contagious for at least 10 days after symptoms first appear. Due to the lack of communication from the White House, we don't know exactly when Trump first experienced symptoms, but it is believed to have happened sometime on Thursday. Therefore, Trump will remain contagious until at least the 11th.
no we don't know when Trump contracted or showed systems, is he contagious, still contagious .... and I don't care to be honest and it baffles me people are so fixated on it

on average 10 days ... could be 7, could be 12 maybe?  

Of course he's contagious.  Doesn't mean everyone he comes into contact with will get it but he is positive for a virus that we know is highly contagious.  Why can't you just admit that taking off the mask in that situation was idiotic and irresponsible?  But I'm sure it was a deliberate move on his part.  
if its highly contagious how did I not get it ? i was around 2 people who had no taste/smell and both tested positive

its "highly" contagious .... why didn't I get it ?

I don't know why Trump removed the mask - I don't really care to be honest. 

no we don't know when Trump contracted or showed systems, is he contagious, still contagious .... and I don't care to be honest and it baffles me people are so fixated on it

on average 10 days ... could be 7, could be 12 maybe?  
It frightens me to think of the state of learning in the world if everybody had your driving curiosity. 

Users who are viewing this thread