What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trump/White House Covid positive thread (2 Viewers)

we don't know ow many died of H1N1 ... we didn't count the deaths the same and we didn't test people without symptoms

Trump didn't give your sister in law covid-19 nor did Trump give it to the people I know ..... they contracted it from other people they were around who had it. They made choices. I did too when I was exposed. Trump had nothing to do with that.
Ah, but Trump's lack of coherent response is why we STILL don't have a handle on it. That's Trump's choice.  The 200,000 plus who have died from it didn't have that choice.

super - spreading would be infecting thousands .... not dozens

yes - NBA players tested positive, none of them got really sick or died to my knowledge. The NBA didn't stop the virus - shocking huh ?
Obviously you don't follow the science.  What happened at the White House is considered a super-spreader.  According to the scientists.  Of course, people shouldn't be following what the scientists say.  No, we should all follow the gospel coming from other sources.  

we don't know ow many died of H1N1 ... we didn't count the deaths the same and we didn't test people without symptoms

Trump didn't give your sister in law covid-19 nor did Trump give it to the people I know ..... they contracted it from other people they were around who had it. They made choices. I did too when I was exposed. Trump had nothing to do with that.
And who ja ma said what?

My reply above makes about as much sense as your reply to me. Please point out where I said anything about Trump in my statement.  You compare this to a flu season my response was to that, nice deflection though, At least it’s better than your flat not replying to what I’ve asked you multiple different times about death classifications.

And who ja ma said what?

My reply above makes about as much sense as your reply to me. Please point out where I said anything about Trump in my statement.  You compare this to a flu season my response was to that, nice deflection though, At least it’s better than your flat not replying to what I’ve asked you multiple different times about death classifications.

Dude, at this point, why respond anymore?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, at this point, why respond anymore?
Boredom.  At this point there’s very few people here engaging in any real dialogue (as a point of emphasis I did say “few” as there are a couple of people here who are trying). So it’s either agreeing with the same points of view or engaging with that.  🤷🏻‍♂️

I think @Gr00vus was implying that the person you were responding to won't be able to respond for a while.
No, I was implying that the conversations don't seem to proceed in any useful way. I tried myself when first encountering the particular poster, but eventually learned it wasn't a satisfying endeavor if one's goal is rational discourse.

Like somebody pointed out in the other thread, it probably didn't have to be about the "lockdown" to the imaginary levels that Trump believes.  I could have been as easy as:  1. stay 6' apart and 2.  wear a mask inside.    If businesses could comply with that, they could be open.  We couldn't even be bothered with either of those, and a lot had to do with Trump.  

PennStater77 said:
 The World Health Organization is not our master and they are dangerously wrong with alarming frequency. Even if that weren’t true, free people must be free to counter them.

They got a lot wrong. The World Health got a tremendous amount wrong. I mean, they got it very wrong. In many ways, they were wrong. They also minimized the threat.

PennStater77 said:
The WHO cautions against lockdowns except as a last resort:

--

WHO envoy Dr. David Nabarro said such restrictive measures should only be treated as a last resort, the British magazine the Spectator reported in a video interview.

“We in the World Health Organization do not advocate lockdowns as the primary means of control of this virus,” Nabarro said.  “The only time we believe a lockdown is justified is to buy you time to reorganize, regroup, rebalance your resources, protect your health workers who are exhausted, but by and large, we’d rather not do it.”

--

Unfortunately, the U.S. did not do a good job of the reorganizing, regrouping, and rebalancing.

Unfortunately, the U.S. did not do a good job of the reorganizing, regrouping, and rebalancing.
NY did a good job with this early on. Once we "flattened the curve" and managed to avoid a collapse of our medical system here in NYC, it seemed to me that we could have started to reopen at the end of April  or mid-May and kept track of any hot spots. Unfortunately, DeBlasio and Cuomo refused to throughout the summer and into the fall and have done major harm to the city that will take a decade, at minimum, to recover from.

Last edited by a moderator:
NY did a good job with this early on. Once we "flattened the curve" and managed to avoid a collapse of our medical system here in NYC, it seemed to me that we could have started to reopen at the end of April  or mid-May and kept track of any hot spots. Unfortunately, DeBlasio and Cuomo refused to throughout the summer and into the fall and have done major harm to the city that will take a decade, at minimum, to recover from.
How?  To do this, a significant contact tracing / testing strategy needs to be in place.  It absolutely CAN be done, but I am unaware of the resources available to do it even today, much less at that time.  States were still fighting over resources then.

How?  To do this, a significant contact tracing / testing strategy needs to be in place.  It absolutely CAN be done, but I am unaware of the resources available to do it even today, much less at that time.  States were still fighting over resources then.
Cuomo was sticking to strict guidelines to get to Phase 4, until that is NYC passed all those guidelines and he still refused to open up. They could have done what they only did a week ago, allowing restaurants to have indoor dining at 25%. It would have helped some stay in business. Broadway closed until June 2021? Overkill. There has to be a balance.

Cuomo was sticking to strict guidelines to get to Phase 4, until that is NYC passed all those guidelines and he still refused to open up. They could have done what they only did a week ago, allowing restaurants to have indoor dining at 25%. It would have helped some stay in business. Broadway closed until June 2021? Overkill. There has to be a balance.
can Broadway guarantee 6' of spacing between crowds?

I understand all that.  It doesn't answer my question.  Without the testing in place THEN (which was your assertion), how were they supposed to open?  Even now, it's risky in such a high population area like NYC to open with no ability to ramp up testing and do sufficient contact tracing.  I am trying to understand how it was possible THEN  (which was your assertion) when the virus was far more prevalent than it is at the moment.

I understand all that.  It doesn't answer my question.  Without the testing in place THEN (which was your assertion), how were they supposed to open?  Even now, it's risky in such a high population area like NYC to open with no ability to ramp up testing and do sufficient contact tracing.  I am trying to understand how it was possible THEN  (which was your assertion) when the virus was far more prevalent than it is at the moment.
There were plenty of places to get tested in NYC by May.  

There were plenty of places to get tested in NYC by May.  
Based on all the information we've been presented (and I haven't paid a ton of attention to NY so I might have missed something), the supplies to test were lacking and the supplies/capacity to process were lacking (and still are).  Is that not correct?

Users who are viewing this thread