What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB D'Ernest Johnson, JAX (2 Viewers)

Truebluey

Footballguy
USF Senior 2018.

Johnson (5'10/200) never received big carry totals at South Florida, but he still was able to run for 745 yards and seven touchdowns as a senior. He also showed some versatility as a pass-catcher, catching 54 balls combined in his sophomore and junior season.

On January 20, 2018, South Florida RB D'Ernest Johnson ran for 31 yards on six carries for the East in a 14-10 loss to the West in the East-West Shrine Game. Johnson also caught a pass for 12 yards. Outside of the catch and a 15-yard run, Johnson struggled to find much room to run, which was the case for most of the running backs on the day. The 5-foot-10, 204-pound tailback currently projects as a third-down back at the next level, and has received mostly late-round or UDFA grades from draft pundits. (https://www.rotoworld.com/college-football/nfl-draft/player/41679/dernest-johnson)

Fun fact: he’s a former AAF player for the Orlando Apollos who signed with the Browns after the league folded.

After Chubb went down on Sunday October 4, he amassed 13 carries for 95 yards.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's the next man up in Cleveland behind one of the more dominant run-blocking lines we've seen recently, so it seemed he was relevant to discuss for waiver wire purposes this week, at least.

D'Ernest Johnson rushed 13 times for 95 yards in Cleveland's Week 4 win over the Cowboys.

Johnson came off the bench for Nick Chubb, who exited in the first quarter after having his leg rolled up on. The former AAF standout presumably led Cleveland's backfield in carries since Kareem Hunt (11/71/2) was limited in practice throughout the week with a groin injury. Johnson's involvement is worth noting ahead of Tuesday's waivers run since he could potentially handle 8-10 touches in Week 5 if Chubb misses time.

Oct 4, 2020, 5:43 PM ET

Browns RB Nick Chubb (knee) is being placed on injured reserve and will miss several weeks. 

Chubb left Sunday's game against the Cowboys with the MCL injury. ESPN's Adam Schefter said Chubb could be out as long as six weeks. Kareem Hunt replaced Chubb and finished with 11 carries for 71 yards and two scores. Hunt is now positioned as a top fantasy option as the centerpiece of a run-first team whose offensive line is dominating opponents in the trenches. D'Ernest Johnson should be rostered in all formats after he saw 13 rushes in Week 4 after Chubb exited. Johnson could be a borderline flex play in Week 5 against the Colts, and Hunt becomes a must-start in all formats. 

RELATED: 

D'Ernest Johnson

, Kareem Hunt

SOURCE: Ton Grossi on Twitter 

Oct 5, 2020, 12:01 PM ET

Got him rostered and TBH I felt off guard by this guy. After some digging, I think he can thrive in the system and could be a flex worthy + going forward.

I think the most popular argument against him and his impressive debut is that they wanted to save Hunt, but when someone gets production like that, it makes the next game's plan more compelling to keep the script the same. We observed he can fill in for the Chubb's role and this keeps Hunt fresh for a stronger push into the season via using the same script of 1a and 1b running backs. With Chubb out for extended time, I think he becomes more likely to stay in there since the system is working. I got him for cheap and I have seen him go for 23/100 and 41/100 FAAB across my leagues.

And he may be still available. If he is avail he is a guarantee burnable lotto ticket that you will know what you have after the next game, based on his usability and the schedule softens a lot after Colts and Steelers.

Also I hear he is a good receiver too. Per the article above it cites this saying, 

"He finished as USF’s career leader in all-purpose yards (4,186), receptions by a running back (73), and receiving yards by a running back (909).

Johnson’s claim to fame for many of us came when he joined the Orlando Apollos in the Alliance of American Football. There Johnson and De’Veon Smith formed the most formidable duo of RBs in the league. Even though Johnson stood out more as a receiver than Smith, Johnson still finished with the second-most rushing yards in the league, according to No Extra Points. He also finished as the overall RB2 in the league behind the check-down king, Trent Richardson."

Got him rostered and TBH I felt off guard by this guy. After some digging, I think he can thrive in the system and could be a flex worthy + going forward.

I think the most popular argument against him and his impressive debut is that they wanted to save Hunt, but when someone gets production like that, it makes the next game's plan more compelling to keep the script the same. We observed he can fill in for the Chubb's role and this keeps Hunt fresh for a stronger push into the season via using the same script of 1a and 1b running backs. With Chubb out for extended time, I think he becomes more likely to stay in there since the system is working. I got him for cheap and I have seen him go for 23/100 and 41/100 FAAB across my leagues.

And he may be still available. If he is avail he is a guarantee burnable lotto ticket that you will know what you have after the next game, based on his usability and the schedule softens a lot after Colts and Steelers.

Also I hear he is a good receiver too. Per the article above it cites this saying, 

"He finished as USF’s career leader in all-purpose yards (4,186), receptions by a running back (73), and receiving yards by a running back (909).

Johnson’s claim to fame for many of us came when he joined the Orlando Apollos in the Alliance of American Football. There Johnson and De’Veon Smith formed the most formidable duo of RBs in the league. Even though Johnson stood out more as a receiver than Smith, Johnson still finished with the second-most rushing yards in the league, according to No Extra Points. He also finished as the overall RB2 in the league behind the check-down king, Trent Richardson."
High five. He's exactly the type of lotto ticket you pounce on at this stage in the season. RB in a top running offense who already looked good off the bench. I'm surprised he's being dismissed so easily. He was my top target by far and glad I got him in both dynasties. With the covid-affected scheduling, RBs like him you can plug in even for a few weeks are gold.

High five. He's exactly the type of lotto ticket you pounce on at this stage in the season. RB in a top running offense who already looked good off the bench. I'm surprised he's being dismissed so easily. He was my top target by far and glad I got him in both dynasties. With the covid-affected scheduling, RBs like him you can plug in even for a few weeks are gold.
Last time I checked K Hunt is the next man up.  I can see Johnson having some value, but as a back up to Hunt.  Nothing I would spend my entire WW cash on, unless I was thin at RB and was a Hunt owner.

Looked great on tape last week but couldn’t help noticing how bad that Dallas defense was. Also couldn’t help notice he has an unusually svelte set of legs for a rb

Last time I checked K Hunt is the next man up.  I can see Johnson having some value, but as a back up to Hunt.  Nothing I would spend my entire WW cash on, unless I was thin at RB and was a Hunt owner.
CLE has used two backs all year. Chubb went out. Johnson comes in cold. They continue to run two back offense. He looks good. 

What in this body of evidence suggests that now Hunt is the 80% starter? Why would CLE get away from what has been working and helping them to score 30+ points?

D'Ernest Johnson had one rush for two yards in the Browns' Week 6 loss to the Cardinals, adding one reception for seven yards. 

Johnson's Week 6 usage is less notable than his potential role in Week 7 and beyond. Kareem Hunt went down with potentially serious calf injury late in the Browns' Week 6 loss. Cleveland went into the game without Nick Chubb, who's dealing with his own calf injury. Johnson profiles as the team's early-down banger if both Chubb and Hunt are out for Thursday night's tilt against Denver. Johnson should be a priority pickup for fantasy managers struggling with running back injuries and bye weeks. 

Oct 18, 2021, 10:49 AM ET

CLE has used two backs all year. Chubb went out. Johnson comes in cold. They continue to run two back offense. He looks good.
I know I’m quoting a post from a year ago, I just regard you as one of our Top 3 Browns experts.

D’Ernest over Felton 8 days a week, right?

I know I’m quoting a post from a year ago, I just regard you as one of our Top 3 Browns experts.

D’Ernest over Felton 8 days a week, right?
I picked him up in dynasty & when he was used last year IIRC he was somewhat mediocre. I know nothing about Felton, so I'm also curious about @tombonneau take on this situation. 

@beer 30 @Bracie Smathers

Little help here? Any clue on their plans Thursday without Chubb or Hunt.
Pray? Really hard?

Baker can't throw the ball for #### right now (torn labrum in non throwing shoulder), his leading WR's are possibly out, both starting tackles are out, both starting RB's are out and our defense can't stop anyone with any semblance of a gameplan. They will probably lean on Johnson & Felton but unless it's your only option, I'd steer clear of the Cleveland offense until after they come back from the Denver game. It's pretty bad right now.

The holistic answer is it doesn't matter.  Baker is hurt, their RBs are hurt, OBJ sucks and Landry is hurt.  Look elsewhere

Yeah I know, didn’t bother with a FAAB last night. Was mostly curious if that was consensus & it seems it is. 

@beer 30 @Bracie Smathers

Little help here? Any clue on their plans Thursday without Chubb or Hunt.
D'Ernest Johnson is the play.  Felton is a 3rd down back with zero lean/push and has zero carries on the year used strictly as a receiver.  

D'Ernest is 3rd string for a reason and the Browns are hurting on the O-Line and lost FB Janovich and opened Sunday against the Cards in empty sets that went to three-and-outs so that didn't work, see Baker's shoulder and he's getting a 2nd opinion so he 'could' be declared OUT at any time.  

Basically urging lots of caution but D'Ernest is ah interesting for upside, bout the only player who 'could' create a fantasy buzz but I'd say he's an injury/emergency start esp on a Thursday Night game.

Johnson can hit big gainer's on the edge especially with 'fresh' legs.  Yeah, he could flash.

EDIT to add the Browns saw a 'new-look' front that stopped the run game against the Cards.  Lets see if/how Stefanski adjusts.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scott Petrak ct@ScottPetrak

#Browns LG Joel Bitonio said the Cardinals ran a 6-2 defense for much of the game, which was designed to take away the run. Said it wasn't a surprise but makes it tough to run.

So tough to run on this look.

Jake Trotter@Jake_Trotter

RB Nick Chubb (calf) will miss his second consecutive game Thursday, coach Kevin Stefanski just said. With Kareem Hunt (calf) on IR, RB D’Ernest Johnson to get his first career start. #Browns

Tretter, Conklin, and Wills all were DNP today for practice, 3 OL starters may not play...... ugh. 

He will some decent volume. Denver D is tough, but their O won't be running away with games anytime soon with Bridgwater or Lock running the show. I might go after him for flex, but I'm liking McKissic a tad more due to negative game script upcoming for Was.

In my short bench league he wasn’t even claimed off waivers. I’m currently rolling with the intimidating RB Duo of Miles Sanders & AJ Dillon…debating dropping either Tre Lance or Tre Sermon for him… :confused:

does anyone close(er) to the situation have any insight into if he’s worth even a low end RB2 this week?

Third year in the league...never broken 10 fantasy points. Only ONCE broken 5. If you're desperate with a depleted wire, he might be worth a single start this week. If you're NOT desperate, there may be better gambles out there (JaMycal Hasty anyone!?) who might have far more value 2,3,4 weeks from now.

I wouldn't remotely consider giving him a start over someone like Miles Sanders right now. 

Third year in the league...never broken 10 fantasy points. Only ONCE broken 5. If you're desperate with a depleted wire, he might be worth a single start this week. If you're NOT desperate, there may be better gambles out there (JaMycal Hasty anyone!?) who might have far more value 2,3,4 weeks from now.

I wouldn't remotely consider giving him a start over someone like Miles Sanders right now. 
I picked him up last week in case Kareem hunt was out. Now I get to choose between him and mckissic. Ppr so leaving McK but it’s not an easy decision imo. 

He will some decent volume. Denver D is tough, but their O won't be running away with games anytime soon with Bridgwater or Lock running the show. I might go after him for flex, but I'm liking McKissic a tad more due to negative game script upcoming for Was.
Guess I should have looked a little further Up before posting. Same question and thought process. 

With Cook on a "bye" my only healthy starting RB's were Mixon and P Lindsay.. Picking up Johnson and starting him this week is a no brainer for me...

Case Keenum starting at QB. Probably a better passer than what Baker's been doing this year so it may open up the running game a little more.

With Cook on a "bye" my only healthy starting RB's were Mixon and P Lindsay.. Picking up Johnson and starting him this week is a no brainer for me...
He’s starting for me due to a Cook BYE as well, I threw 20% FAAB at him…wasn’t sure what was going on in DC with Gibson and having McKissic as a possibility of 2 or 20 points was unsettling.

With Cook on bye and Barkley and Gibson injured, I am starting Johnson this week. Picked up for 43% of my bid dollars. That was aggressive for a guy who doesn't have long term value because I really need someone who will get PT this week.  If he puts up 10 points I will be pleased. 

Picked him up for nothing on waivers this morning. Won't start him and unlikely to use him at all this year but, other teams in the league are desperate at RB and playing keep-away seems a decent strategy right now. I am a Chubb owner but, I drafted back-up RB's fairly well and have enough in the stable to just sit on D'Ernest a week or two.

This is freaky but I actually picked him up prior to last week in both my dynasty leagues, minutes before kickoff, just bc Hunt had been banged up and Chubb hurt. I figured what the hell. Then Hunt got hurt and the guys in my league thought I used some voodoo. Started him over unappetizing flex options like Quez Watkins in one league, sat him for McKissic in another. Looks pretty good out there. 

This guy does not have long term value, but if you had lineup issues this week like me, he was a great pickup. With 13 points at the half, if he does nothing else he was worth the 43 best bid dollars I spent to get him for this week.

This guy does not have long term value, but if you had lineup issues this week like me, he was a great pickup. With 13 points at the half, if he does nothing else he was worth the 43 best bid dollars I spent to get him for this week.
When you say "long-term" do you mean this season? If you do then I agree, Hunt and Chubb will come back and kill his Value. But I picked him up in Dynasty and this guy is passing the eyeball test as someone I might want to keep on the end of my bench. 

Never seen this kid before and I understand that Denver isn't very good and Cleveland is RB heaven but I am impressed with this kid.

Seems to have above average vision, balance and has been very tough to bring down. I don't think I have seen him go down in first contact all night.

Users who are viewing this thread