What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Waiver Wire & FAAB Discussion prior to the Week 5 games (1 Viewer)

I appreciate all the different links you bring in this weekly must read. I was trying to do a weekly WW thread but this is a much better organized chalkboard for thoughts. 

I also try to be a week ahead if possible. I see Shenault and Higgins, I found room for both of them over the last week or two on different rosters. More rookie WRs are showing their stuff including Lamb, Jeudy and Ruggs have all shown why they were 1st round selections. Huge thrust of talent injected into the WR position this year in the Draft. 

One guy I've seen cut in a few leagues who I like is Mike Williams. Herbert looks for real, and he's been taking and hitting deep shots to guys who will be riding the bench with a healthy Williams. Really great schedule coming up too with NO, NYJ, MIA, JAX, LV, as his next 5.
I cut him last week but you're right that the upcoming schedule is favorable and Herbert throws a nice deep ball. 

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 18 times, shame on me. Maybe he's worth it, but I don't think I have it in me to trust him. Is Herbert going to wrap him in bubble wrap before he sends him deep?
Let's go over what we know...

- 6-4, 220lbs and might even be bigger than what's listed, he's a big target for Herbert. 

-He scored 10 Tds in 2018 and followed that up with 1,000 yds and a 20 ypc avg last year in 2019, a total of 12 TDs in 20 games started last 2 seasons, hard to find a WR in his 4th year walking the Waiver WIre with that type of upside or resume. 

-He shoots holes in rosters quite often and you never know when he might go off. 

I appreciate all the different links you bring in this weekly must read. I was trying to do a weekly WW thread but this is a much better organized chalkboard for thoughts. 

I also try to be a week ahead if possible. I see Shenault and Higgins, I found room for both of them over the last week or two on different rosters. More rookie WRs are showing their stuff including Lamb, Jeudy and Ruggs have all shown why they were 1st round selections. Huge thrust of talent injected into the WR position this year in the Draft. 
Yeah it was talked about at draft season and nothing is showing any signs that this isn't one of the best WR classes ever. Reagor hurt but was looking good early. Jefferson looks incredible now that he's starting. Lamb is a stud. Aiyuk looks good, Higgins now as well. Even Gabriel Davis, Van Jefferson, and Darnell Mooney are showing up at times. Darnell Mooney may be a good add this week, speaking of.

How much are we dropping on guys like...

Robert Tonyan

Austin Hooper

D'Ernest Johnson

Damien Harris

Justin Jackson

Olamide Zaccheaus

Darnell Mooney

Tim Patrick, any more thoughts? Sutton is gone for the season, sure Jeudy is more talented but still a rookie. More down side is the QB sitaution but Lock will eventually find his way back on the field. As other s mentioned, Fant is a higher priority on the targets list but he also left the field injured and it does by process of elimination start pointing to Patrick. 

14 and 23 the last 2 weeks and on about 2.5% of rosters, people are fighting over other flashier names and this guy is producing, steady increase in targets and again not much else to throw to. 

How much are we dropping on guys like...

Robert Tonyan

Austin Hooper

D'Ernest Johnson

Damien Harris

Justin Jackson

Olamide Zaccheaus

Darnell Mooney
I've got $82 out of $100 available in my PPR Dynasty where I just lost Chubb.  I'm probably throwing at least $65 at D'Ernest Johnson. 

One guy I've seen cut in a few leagues who I like is Mike Williams. Herbert looks for real, and he's been taking and hitting deep shots to guys who will be riding the bench with a healthy Williams. Really great schedule coming up too with NO, NYJ, MIA, JAX, LV, as his next 5.
Williams was dropped in my league as well. I like what's happening with the Chargers offense with Herbert, but Allen is typically such a target hog that Williams' production is likely going to remain very variable. 

Yeah it was talked about at draft season and nothing is showing any signs that this isn't one of the best WR classes ever. Reagor hurt but was looking good early. Jefferson looks incredible now that he's starting. Lamb is a stud. Aiyuk looks good, Higgins now as well. Even Gabriel Davis, Van Jefferson, and Darnell Mooney are showing up at times. Darnell Mooney may be a good add this week, speaking of.
Don't forget about Claypool, looks like a beast the few times he's touched the ball.

Landed D Johnson, Cle for under 10%. I do have Chubb and was willing to go high but we can see highest bid which was under 10%. 

Going after Harris but not sure how high I care to go with a NE RB. 

I've got $82 out of $100 available in my PPR Dynasty where I just lost Chubb.  I'm probably throwing at least $65 at D'Ernest Johnson. 
Read that much of what Johnson did was game flow (protecting a lead).  With Hunt as the main guy, is Johnson really worth THAT?

Darnell Mooney may be a good add this week, speaking of.
Anyone have any skinny on Mooney? Seems like he may have passed Miller on the depth chart, but is there enough volume after Robinson gets fed? He also seems very tiny. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah exactly. I picked up and used Tim Patrick everywhere last week. Higgins as well. I know I'm doing decent when the gems of the week are a week old to me already. 

Tim Patrick, any more thoughts? Sutton is gone for the season, sure Jeudy is more talented but still a rookie. More down side is the QB sitaution but Lock will eventually find his way back on the field. As other s mentioned, Fant is a higher priority on the targets list but he also left the field injured and it does by process of elimination start pointing to Patrick. 

14 and 23 the last 2 weeks and on about 2.5% of rosters, people are fighting over other flashier names and this guy is producing, steady increase in targets and again not much else to throw to. 
Yeah he has saved my ### the last couple weeks and I think he has a startable floor ROS with TD upside for more. Godwin and Michael Thomas need to get healthy. 

Read that much of what Johnson did was game flow (protecting a lead).  With Hunt as the main guy, is Johnson really worth THAT?
It’s probably situation specific. It’s a 12 team dynasty league with 25 man rosters, any RB with a pulse is already gone and there’s really nothing else worth spending FAAB on. I’ve lost CMC, Ekeler, and Chubb so I’m kind of obligated to go nuts for him I think because if I lose one more RB I’m starting Brian Hill or Gio Bernard as my RB2. 

They seem to always play two RBs and can run well. He is worth the moon shot. I'm going 72% and expect to lose. 

They seem to always play two RBs and can run well. He is worth the moon shot. I'm going 72% and expect to lose. 
I’m also bidding a somewhat substantial amount. 

They’ll cap Hunt like they capped Chubb. The way they play is to keep a back fresh fir the 4rh quarter punishment. 

And then there’s the ninja shark question to ask yourself..... :ninja:  

...what if Hunt gets hurt too?

then there’s 1 dude. 

I’m not going bananas all-in, but bidding a good chunk. 

The concern with Johnson is his window is weeks 5,6,7,8 - week 9 is a bye and Chubb should be back week 10.

I don't think you can start Johnson this week until we know more.  So you get 3 weeks of the lesser half of a RB1.

The Dude said:
The concern with Johnson is his window is weeks 5,6,7,8 - week 9 is a bye and Chubb should be back week 10.

I don't think you can start Johnson this week until we know more.  So you get 3 weeks of the lesser half of a RB1.
I don't know, as a guy who just had to start Chase Edmonds because Henry's game got Covided, I'll take all the RB depth I can get for the next 4-5 weeks. Who knows what's coming.

FYI, I got him for 72% FAAB. Next highest bid was 56%, then a few in the teens.

FAAB Waiver results in my league ($100 budget, 12 team Redraft Standard Double Flex)

Lost D'ernest Johnson $40-37-13-10

Lost Tim Patrick $19-5-1

Won Justin Jackson $18-9

Won Cameron Brate $2

Won Zach Pascal $1

I didn't really put a serious bid for Johnson but I didn't expect him go to that high considering the schedule and Hillard's involvement, but people want RBs. By that metric I was stunned nobody really bid for Jackson, a guy who should inherit the passing game work at least (throw in 8-12 carries). In my league WR bids are hit or miss and I was hoping to sneak one of Patrick or Pascal; with all the WR injuries and T.Y. grossly being mismanaged I hope Pascal can continue to get 6-8 targets with his upcoming soft sched  (@ Cle, Cin). If Cameron Brate inherits the move TE + slot usage role he had with Jameis Winston a few years ago, it's criminal I got him unopposed.

EDIT: According to TB fans that old TE role in the O doesn't exist anymore in the Arians/Brady era. :(

FAAB Waiver results in my league ($200 budget)

Lost Justin Jackson $77-75-51-6 (I have Kelley)

Won D'ernest Johnson $31-20-20-11

Bridgewater went for $21 and Alshon went unclaimed.

FAAB Waiver results in my league ($200 budget)

Lost Justin Jackson $77-75-51-6 (I have Kelley)

Won D'ernest Johnson $31-20-20-11

Bridgewater went for $21 and Alshon went unclaimed.
wow.  JJ bids were over double the DJ bids?

The Dude said:

Unless of course

• Chubb has a setback (not unprecedented) 

• or Chubb is hurt worse than they know or are saying

• or Hunt gets hurt over the next few weeks

• or either Hunt or Chubb get hurt ROS

These are all possible scenarios. in every scenario, you know that Johnson is next in line for touches. 

Plus dynasty formats...he might not be a bad hold if his 3-6 week audition goes well. 

Harris went for 20% of FAAB. May seem low but we have 27 roster spots, start 17 players/week, in a 16-team. hard to spend a lot of money with so many bye weeks and injuries to cover. 

Lamar Jackson missed practice today.  Might be nothing but thought worthy to mention in here.  He's my only QB in one league.

Checking to see if Garoppolo is expected to play.  Has a nice matchup and all his weapons back.

wlwiles said:
It’s probably situation specific. It’s a 12 team dynasty league with 25 man rosters, any RB with a pulse is already gone and there’s really nothing else worth spending FAAB on. I’ve lost CMC, Ekeler, and Chubb so I’m kind of obligated to go nuts for him I think because if I lose one more RB I’m starting Brian Hill or Gio Bernard as my RB2. 
$100 budget.  I ended up getting D'Ernest Johnson for $44, next highest bid was $33 so a bit of an overpay but I'm not too mad about it.  

Zacchaeus went for $8 which was a bit lower than expected, and tells you how WRs are valued differently than RBs.  The guy that got Zacchaeus dropped Alshon to get him. 

Cam Inman

⁦‪@CamInman⁩

#49ers coach Kyle Shanahan says Jimmy Garoppolo will be limited in practice today, no declaration but good sign toward a Sunday start vs #Dolphins
Mostert also will be limited

10/7/20, 2:35 PM

$100 budget.  I ended up getting D'Ernest Johnson for $44, next highest bid was $33 so a bit of an overpay but I'm not too mad about it.  
I spent ~20% of total budget on D'Jo, so your 44% makes me feel like I got a bargain.

If he gets 4 games with ~12-16 touches a game, I figure that's 3 potential BYE week replacement Flex-caliber games, assuming you give him the customary "show me" game to see how the Browns use him, and also assuming the Browns continue to run run run till their daddy takes the t-bird away. 

My dynasty league has a 25--man roster. RBs who get a shot at that workload even for a limited time are very few and very far between. And again, see my post above. There are more than a few scenarios that could lend D'Jo value ROS. 

Thoughts on Akers LAR?  Cut in one league.  Definite add but just wondering if I am missing any news.
Still battling the rib injury. He tore cartilage off of bone, which probably doesn't feel good, nor is that injury helpful to a RB since  they take hits to the torso. Sounds like he's back this week though. 

Speculation that he will take over the backfield at some point seems fueled largely by wishful thinking IMO. Rams are a RBBC, and when Akers gets back they'll be even more of an RBBC. I've seen nor heard nothing to the contrary. Haven't seen any news other than he's still not ready to practice, so I think a lot of frustrated owners are cutting bait. 

Probably a hold in redraft just to see if somehow that best case scenario shakes out. Ya never know if one of the other dudes will get hurt. :shrug:  

Users who are viewing this thread