What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Trey Lance, DAL (3 Viewers)

NFL Network @nflnetwork

"You can see the ball jumps out of his hand." - @MoveTheSticks

@treylance09  | @NDSUfootball 

📺: Path to the Draft Pro Day Special
https://twitter.com/nflnetwork/status/1370427257106264064?s=21

NFL Network @nflnetwork

"I love watching the footwork here." - @MoveTheSticks 

@treylance09 | @NDSUfootball 

https://twitter.com/nflnetwork/status/1370432720153702402?s=21

NFL Network @nflnetwork

"Look at that missile." - @MoveTheSticks 

@treylance09 showing off the arm strength at his @NDSUfootball Pro Day 🚀

https://twitter.com/nflnetwork/status/1370432828630921218?s=21

NFL Network @nflnetwork

"I love football, I treat people the right way, and I'm super thankful." 🙏

@NDSUfootball QB @treylance09 joined @KimJonesSports after his 66 throws at his Pro Day 👇

https://twitter.com/nflnetwork/status/1370437720279973891?s=21

NBC Sports Edge:

NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah passes along that a longtime NFL evaluator comped North Dakota State QB Trey Lance to Buffalo Bills QB Josh Allen during Friday's pro day.

The social media machine is all abuzz over Lance's pro day showing, as the quarterback launched several eye-popping throws during Friday's session of 66 throws. Lance is looking to lock up a top-10 selection for April's draft and Friday's pro day might have just sealed it. The quarterback did not run the 40-yard dash and is instead sitting on a GPS-timed 21.54 mph 19-yard touchdown run from 2019. Jeremiah equated Lance's arm strength to that of fellow NDSU-er Carson Wentz, but believes Lance (who is infamous for his turnover-adverse game) sets himself apart via his decision-making. The analyst described the 6-foot-4, 226-pound gunslinger as "dripping with ability." So add that one to the draft parlance.

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Mar 12, 2021, 12:56 PM ET

Athletically he compares to Daniel Jones. Hope he's a better QB than that though.
The show was on rerun today. They compared him to Josh Allen. He had good zip on the ball. However, he wasn’t always dropping dimes as the various reports seem to be portraying. He had some misses, usually long. He also missed more on right side than on left side. He does have good arm. I don’t see how he compares to Daniel Jones though. Did you see this in a report I missed?

The show was on rerun today. They compared him to Josh Allen. He had good zip on the ball. However, he wasn’t always dropping dimes as the various reports seem to be portraying. He had some misses, usually long. He also missed more on right side than on left side. He does have good arm. I don’t see how he compares to Daniel Jones though. Did you see this in a report I missed?
Similar size, good arm, and mobile.

He completed several nice long throws. In settings like this, trajectory is more important than accuracy.

Hit guys in stride very well. 

Last edited by a moderator:
In his most recent mock draft, Pro Football Focus' Brad Spielberger projected the Atlanta Falcons to trade up to the No. 3 pick with the Miami Dolphins in order to select North Dakota State QB Trey Lance.

Prior to Lance's pro day this past week, the quarterback was still occasionally being mocked outside the top-10. We're guessing that's not much going to be the case moving forward. Lance uncorked several stunning throws on his pro day and even more than that, did well to cement a positive narrative for himself (especially important given that Lance essentially did not play football in the fall). Spielberger likes the Falcons to trade up one slot to land the NDSU star, swapping picks with the Dolphins. The analyst pairs Miami with LSU WR Ja'Marr Chase at No. 4 in this particular mock. The Falcons are uniquely set up to draft a quarterback for development -- rather than plug/play -- given that Matt Ryan likely still has at least another couple years in the tank.

SOURCE: PFF.com

Mar 15, 2021, 1:17 PM ET

I have absolutely no idea what this means
Well maybe I got it wrong - if your "no way" was sarcastic. Meaning that obviously you can't rule out Lance at three.

I initially thought you meant there's no way Lance cam you at three. There's not no way that could happen.

Well maybe I got it wrong - if your "no way" was sarcastic. Meaning that obviously you can't rule out Lance at three.

I initially thought you meant there's no way Lance cam you at three. There's not no way that could happen.
I am just saying I doubt the niners are looking at him as an option.  He is the greenest and most inexperienced of the top 5 and he would need IMO 2 years just to get up to speed.  The speed difference alone will take him one year of starts.  And throwing him out there too early could ruin him.  San fran is built to win now and I dont think they have the luxury to try and groom a guy like lance.  Which is why I think they can pick Jones and start him this year if needed.

I am just saying I doubt the niners are looking at him as an option.  He is the greenest and most inexperienced of the top 5 and he would need IMO 2 years just to get up to speed.  The speed difference alone will take him one year of starts.  And throwing him out there too early could ruin him.  San fran is built to win now and I dont think they have the luxury to try and groom a guy like lance.  Which is why I think they can pick Jones and start him this year if needed.
Well, in that case what I said still stands. There's not "no way" that he's the pick. 

Personally, I think it's Fields. But since the 49ers think they're running the Manhattan Project, who knows?

And I'll even go further and say I agree with you - Lance shouldn't be the pick. And for the reasons you stated. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It clearly sounds like Im crapping on the kid (im not), but I just dont get the appeal here at THAT HIGH a pick. 

How are teams willing to... no wait... draft hasnt happened... But how are analysts putting a kid who hasn't played last season (at QB!), has ONE season of film, in an awful conference, who has only ONE 300yd passing game to his name, at a top 3 selection? 

I genuinely feel like the criteria for QBs coming out of college has gradually decayed to an unrecognizable state. 

(This is in no way saying he cant/wont be a star in the nfl, anyone out of college can be... but we're talking top 3 pick "consensus" at QB in 2021)

It clearly sounds like Im crapping on the kid (im not), but I just dont get the appeal here at THAT HIGH a pick. 

How are teams willing to... no wait... draft hasnt happened... But how are analysts putting a kid who hasn't played last season (at QB!), has ONE season of film, in an awful conference, who has only ONE 300yd passing game to his name, at a top 3 selection? 

I genuinely feel like the criteria for QBs coming out of college has gradually decayed to an unrecognizable state. 

(This is in no way saying he cant/wont be a star in the nfl, anyone out of college can be... but we're talking top 3 pick "consensus" at QB in 2021)
You can add to that that he didn't even play at a big school in Minnesota. He played at a AAAA school and Minnesota has AAAAA and AAAAAA levels above that.

We have reached Peak Madness in the pre-draft season.

Let's all get a hard on about some kid's scripted pro day throws and throw him into the top 5 overall picks.  That's even worse than a WR vaulting into the top 10 because of his 40 time.

Users who are viewing this thread