What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Justin Fields, PIT (4 Viewers)

I don't see Fields as anything more than a career backup in the NFL. Gil Brandt is dead on with this, he's nothing more than a round 4 prospect. The ink isn't dry on  D. Haskins'  WFT contract, and he's cut. This kid is going to be another bust. 
Just curious what makes Fields more apt to fail than the other main QBs this draft? The school? The system? The player? His career record? His competition? Alabama hasn't had a great history of delivering top NFL QB's. North Dakota State had Wentz (who hasn't been a world beater). BYU produced Steve Young years ago and a bunch of guys that did next to nothing since. Clemson had Watson a few years ago and is a top program. Ohio State QBs have done next to nothing. I included Trask because his passing totals fall in line with the other guys, but Florida QBs haven't done much in the either.

Code:
			Comp	Pass Yd	AY/A	TD	INT	Rate	YPC	Rush Yd	TD
Mac Jones (14-1)	74.3	6126	12.5	56	7	197.6	0.8	42	2
Trey Lance (17-0)	67.0	2798	11.7	28	0	180.7	6.7	1182	16
Justin Fields (20-2)	68.4	5701	10.2	67	9	178.8	4.3	1133	19
Kyle Trask (16-6)	67.9	7386	10.0	69	15	168.5	0.4	54	8
Trevor Lawrence (38-2)	66.6	10098	9.8	90	17	164.3	4.0	934	18
Zach Wilson (19-9)	67.6	7652	9.7	56	15	162.9	3.0	642	15

Ohio State QB Justin Fields ran the 40-yard dash in an unofficial 4.44 seconds during Tuesday's pro day.

Fields (6'3/228) notched a (very very) unofficial 40 of 4.41 seconds in training earlier this spring. While he vowed that he would be down to the 4.3's by pro day, no dice. Still, no matter how you slice this bread, Fields is fast fast fast. With the Jags and Jets looking likely to select Trevor Lawrence and Zach WIlson at 1.1 and 1.2, respectively, the earliest Fields would come off the board would be No. 3, to the 49ers. NDSU's Trey Lance and Alabama's Mac Jones are two other candidates to fill that slot with San Francisco.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Mar 30, 2021, 12:36 PM ET

Ohio State QB Justin Fields will take part in a second pro day later this spring.

Fields (6'3/228) was out there strutting his stuff in 4.44-second-40-yard-dash style on Tuesday, but because Alabama's pro day also fell on Tuesday, 49ers HC Kyle Shanahan and GM John Lynch were absent from this initial workout. When the news surfaced on Monday -- that Shanahan and Lynch wouldn't be in Columbus -- it seemed to add all the more smoke to the potential fire of a Mac Jones-49ers marriage. Don't count Fields out yet. Team representation on pro day does not automatically tell the tale of what will take place during the draft proper.

SOURCE: Chris Biderman on Twitter

Mar 30, 2021, 1:17 PM ET

...The ink isn't dry on  D. Haskins'  WFT contract, and he's cut. This kid is going to be another bust. 
Brent Sobleski@brentsobleski

"Previous players from the same program didn't thrive at the professional level so that must be true of the next draft prospect" is the laziest, most ignorant draft take out there.

------------------------------------------

Austin Gayle@PFF_AustinGayle

Percentage of passing yards that came before the catch (air yards) for Ohio State QBs + Power 5 Rank:

• Justin Fields, 2020 — 70% (1st)
  • Justin Fields, 2019 — 72% (1st)
---

• Dwayne Haskins, 2018 — 51% (41st)
  • JT Barrett, 2017 — 48% (52nd)

My two cents...should not be a surprise he knocked it out-of-the-park on his pro day...his physical gifts can not be questioned, he is a legit talent...one thing I noticed about him when he played is he would go out of his way to block and when plays were downfield he sprints down and gets involved which I think is a great reflection on his attitude and leadership...the x-factor with Fields is his second and third reads and you're really not gonna get an answer to how he is with that until he suits up in a real game...that's why where he goes is so important as he needs to be developed in this area and who his HC/OC are will probably determine how his career pans out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Per Pro Football Focus, Ohio State QB Justin Fields led the country with an accurate pass rate of 72.4%.

While there are some fair concerns about Fields as a prospect, accuracy is not one of them. Fields nailed 72.4% of his passes in 2020, which just barely put him over another extremely accurate passer in Mac Jones (72.0%). Sure, Ohio State has some talented receivers, but the QB has to deliver a good ball at the end of the day and Fields consistently did. Fields has rare ability to place the ball exactly where he wants to go. 

SOURCE: PFF College on Twitter

Apr 6, 2021, 4:22 PM ET

The histrionics over this is as ridiculous as the rumors that started it. 

Lighten up, people. When someone, even the mysterious Anonymous, is wrong, just move along.

You don't lose your #### when someone tells you they believe the world is flat. 
I don't blame them. There as a been a clear anti Black QB narrative in the NFL dating back decades. We have made a lot of headway on eliminating this stupid racist bias towards QB play so no reason to slow up now. I think Dan O is a good guy and he was not at all being racist or even understanding that race was at play here. His career will be fine. People in the media should be better about reporting integrity and not just running with any source. Get confirmation before airing it and then be willing to stick by it. 

I don't blame them. There as a been a clear anti Black QB narrative in the NFL dating back decades. We have made a lot of headway on eliminating this stupid racist bias towards QB play so no reason to slow up now. I think Dan O is a good guy and he was not at all being racist or even understanding that race was at play here. His career will be fine. People in the media should be better about reporting integrity and not just running with any source. Get confirmation before airing it and then be willing to stick by it. 
I can get on board with some of this. It is smelly that this criticism was aimed at the black QB.

I can see why it would be necessary for Fields to play it cool - it would only give fuel to the fire if he reacted in mind and might hurt him in the eyes of some decision makers. But it is great IMO that he gave Dan O some grace. 

And I can see why the proxies have taken up the fight. This type of stuff IS tiresome. Anonymous criticism is pretty cowardly criticism.

Today I learned that Fields is black

I agree with tangfoot. I learned he was black and that this was a racial issue when "one-read" became a dog whistle for people who could suss out racism at the drop of a hat. The counter narrative is as stupid as the narrative, IMO. I don't trust guys like Farrar and Ted Nguyen, who seem to be at the forefront of this implied racism towards Fields rather than seeing the earnest criticism of his progressions and lack thereof. They're way too invested in his success and I'm on their Twitter feeds -- they're always posting left-wing crap. I unfollowed Farrar for a while because of it. He thinks the NYT leans right. That's a joke, and myopic.

As for the bolded, as long as you take the same tack in the PSF. I believe in anonymous sourcing, frankly, despite how it can be used against decency.

For real?
I don't watch college football or highlight videos.  I couldn't give two ####s if a player was black, white, brown, yellow, green, pinko or purple.

I bleed maize and blue, but don't care if a player comes from Columbus.  If he can help my fantasy team, I'm all over him.  I generally find out that my team has several buckeyes a few years after the fact.

Oh, I thought tangfoot was making a different sort of comment. I did indeed know he was black or mixed race. It doesn't matter one whit to me. I'm not sure the criticism of him has been appropriate, but I don't think it's come from a racial place. Saying a guy hangs on one read is often just that. Said about white players, too. Whether that is wrong or not depends on further investigation. Sounds like Fields is asked to hold the ball for a long time to let receivers run deeper vert option routes than other playbooks. If so, that explains a lot, and I'm more than willing to grant that as a distinct (even likely) possibility given the evidence behind those claims.

@rockaction the criticism in question was that Fields lacks a solid work ethic. 
Yes, it was indeed. I agree that it might be damaging to say something like that and not have any evidence. I was going further. There also is a counter-narrative to his "one-read" criticism that is predicated upon the football Twitterverse's belief that this is because of his race. In other words, Farrar and Nguyen are arguing that other quarterbacks aren't being subject to the same scrutiny because of his race. I've watched this unfold for a few weeks to a month now (I follow all these guys, and I can tell you that their political postings are sort of indicative -- Farrar's is -- of whether they believe this or not) from some corners. I'm bringing it up because I'm not sure I trust the counter-narrative over the narrative. But they make football points, so I'm inclined to agree with the counter-narrative, if that makes sense. I'm just saying the "one-read" thing isn't lazily racial. It's just because of a lack of knowledge about Fields's playbook. I fully expect Fields, if Farrar and co. are right, to rip it up in the pros.

SF is taking this kid at 3 right

they're not really taking mac jones are they

i sure hope they get this right for all they gave up

SF is taking this kid at 3 right

they're not really taking mac jones are they

i sure hope they get this right for all they gave up
I believe so and I'll be glad to take him at 1.03 in both of my SF leagues. 49ers do a lot of running though so he'll have to vulture some GL carries and hit on some bombs. Both seem like reasonable expectations.

Feels like the attempts to malign him are coming from teams trying to get Fields to slip to them.
Exactly, every team drafting in the top 10 with the exception of the Jags and Jets see the value of their picks increasing if the possibility of Fields falling exists. It's possible almost all the negative stuff about him is just baloney from pre-draft negotiations from these teams trying to juice up the appeal of their picks.

I still think it's 50/50 that the Jets take him and I think the niners will be running to the podium to take Fields. 

chinawildman said:
Honestly the more negative press that comes out about Fields, the more I feel like he's a can't-miss prospect.
I think ultimately he'll go Top 3 - I wouldn't be shocked if the Jets take him over Wilson in fact.

rockaction said:
Yes, it was indeed. I agree that it might be damaging to say something like that and not have any evidence. I was going further. There also is a counter-narrative to his "one-read" criticism that is predicated upon the football Twitterverse's belief that this is because of his race. In other words, Farrar and Nguyen are arguing that other quarterbacks aren't being subject to the same scrutiny because of his race. I've watched this unfold for a few weeks to a month now (I follow all these guys, and I can tell you that their political postings are sort of indicative -- Farrar's is -- of whether they believe this or not) from some corners. I'm bringing it up because I'm not sure I trust the counter-narrative over the narrative. But they make football points, so I'm inclined to agree with the counter-narrative, if that makes sense. I'm just saying the "one-read" thing isn't lazily racial. It's just because of a lack of knowledge about Fields's playbook. I fully expect Fields, if Farrar and co. are right, to rip it up in the pros.
No one knows for sure if that Fields stuff is racially based. That is a fact. It's also a fact that we don't now if the following is racially based:  

We heard Cam Newton, Lamar Jackson (both would need YEARS of seasoning) couldn't read defenses.  It's great that Lamar managed to overcome his clear learning deficiency and throw 6 picks during his MVP 2nd year in the league.  Feel free to read the Lamar thread here for people regurgitating this talking point. It's all there.  

Kyler Murray was arrogant (like Cam), with questionable leadership skills.  Jalen Hurts, wouldn't you know it? Even tho he had accuracy stats only rivaled by Burrow and Tua that season, has problems with progressions.

Trey Lance will need to sit for a while, because of his inexperience.  Have you read any of those concerns about Mac Jones, who started the same number of games?  Can anyone answer this question with anything quantifiable?  

No one says Darnold can't read defenses, or go through progressions.  Nope!  Weird, considering he was a turnover machine in college.  See, he just needs to cut down, clean that up.  Look at the hilarious list of positives and negatives in that scouting report.  For real.  

Johnny Football, no one questioned his game intelligence, nah, he just needed to play within the offense. 

Dan Orlovsky is smart enough to know this, and he's smart enough to realize late that he was being used to lower a guy's stock, and he did a 180, and owned up to what was happening. I don't like Orlovsky, but I love the way he handled this. 

The crappy part is, whoever was trying to get Fields' stock to drop, knew that the old 'problems with progressions/can't read defenses' trope was tried and true, and would get repeated.  

Users who are viewing this thread