What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Justin Fields, PIT (1 Viewer)

No one knows for sure if that Fields stuff is racially based. That is a fact. It's also a fact that we don't now if the following is racially based: 
I should have said "necessarily" at one point in that posting and there wouldn't be much debate over what I'm personally trying to say. I believe that the "one-read" thing is not necessarily lazy racial analysis like, say, comparing Trey Lance to Jameis Winston (which has been done) is lazily racial.

PFF has Fields with the highest rating of all passers once he progresses past his first read. The second? Zach Wilson. By a .05 of a grade. So I'm not sure that the points being made in favor of the counter-narrative going around (that Wilson reads defenses poorly and should slide in the draft in comparison to Fields) is warranted, in at least that respect.

My take is that we're seeing an over-correction to the narrative by guys that make their political leanings front and center of their discussions often in professional/personal realms. Now that's fact. I happen, by temperament, to not trust the knee-jerk analysis that flows therefrom unless there's really good reason to do so.

But I think Fields' case falls under that category of having a "really good reason." Ergo, a counter-narrative that I believe is flawed (most great college QBs that have the arm strength to play in the pros but don't make it are "one-read" guys at some level almost by definition) turns out right this time because of Fields' assignments in his college playbook.

I hope that's the last we re-visit the issue, though I'm not holding out any hope.

Last edited by a moderator:
The cons for me with Fields is his decision making can be awful at times but that can be just his aggressive nature of wanting to make a play and that could be coached out of him or in fact he is just a bad decision maker...
I don't think you can coach split-second decision-making out of someone.  Or very rarely, at best.  That's actually one of the biggest differences, what separates them.  If something like instinct was as simple as coaching it out of them, a lot more would make it.  I mean, there wouldn't be any Jeff George's.

What scouts say about OSU star QB Fields heading into draft

Excerpt:

WHAT SCOUTS ARE SAYING

“Fields has all of the ability in the world.”

“He’s like a ball of clay. He can be molded.”

“I like his physical and mental maturity. He’s a man -- both physically and mentally.”

“I like the fact he’s been a winner since Day 1.”

“He needs to be around football 7/24/365, because I don’t see him as a natural, instinctual quarterback when it comes to timing and chemistry with receivers, tight ends and backs.”

"When they played, it was like the varsity against the JV. His accuracy is not as good as what his completion percentage shows."

"I think he's going to be a really good player."

“He’ll have to learn to turn down hits.”

“I’m not a big Fields guy. Under pressure, he’s OK. But he has a slow release.”

“Kyle (Shanahan) might look at him like he’s too talented to pass up.”

In start 1QB leagues I’m starting to think I value him more than guys like Dyami Brown, all of the RBs drafted later than the third round, and depending on my team need, more than either of the Moore WRs.

Here's an interesting article to add context to the charge of Fields being a "one-read" quarterback. The author finds it's rather a murky charge and that he does quite well when stacked up against other guys. He calls all the guys "arrogant" players (in a good sense and faulty sense) that lock on a bit to their first read because they think they can make the perfect throw to them. Interesting stuff.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/justin-fields-progressions-first-read-analysis

No, I can't. Not on Zealots.
This is true. Our dynasty drafts have to figure the top QBs going in the first two rounds because of deep rosters. Most mocks have four going in the first two rounds this year, and I suspect that will be the case (to a good degree) at Zealots.

Which is good for me. I have Mahomes.

1 QB league?  I know nothing about that format. 
Yep. 1 QB league. 51 man rosters, 48 during restricted free agent season, 60, I think, in the off-season until the year starts, etc., for the PPR version. I don't know about the non-PPR version. 

Lots of players. Top QBs go in the first round in 1 QB leagues. Not by lesser players, either. League winners and good players. We had Burrow and Tua go in the first round, eleven and twelve, last year. This year there will be three or so (at least) in the first two rounds. Just the nature of the beast.

Yep. 1 QB league. 51 man rosters, 48 during restricted free agent season, 60, I think, in the off-season until the year starts, etc., for the PPR version. I don't know about the non-PPR version. 

Lots of players. Top QBs go in the first round in 1 QB leagues. Not by lesser players, either. League winners and good players. We had Burrow and Tua go in the first round, eleven and twelve, last year. This year there will be three or so (at least) in the first two rounds. Just the nature of the beast.
Still feels like you could get a Cousins or Brady cheaper 

Still feels like you could get a Cousins or Brady cheaper 
Nope. Already rostered. Seriously. There are no QBs that aren't rostered in my league. Only backups, and sometimes those are rostered in the off-season, making it difficult to predict who will be dropped. Notice Andy liking my post. That's how these leagues go.

It's like the guys in FFPC who have serious cut downs and need to squeak in under roster constraints. Lots of guys go in weird trades or what seem to be weird cuts, but they're necessary due to league constraints. Ours is the opposite, and any starting quarterback is usually rostered. Fitzpatrick went for well over a third of a guy's FAAB this off-season once he signed with the Skins.

It's league-specific. Now, if one wants to beat the norm in my league, then by all means devise a system whereby it's prudent. I'll be first in line. But that's a tough nut to crack. There's a lot of inherent wisdom tied up in the typical roster. Years of experience. I actually, in my league, am in second for holding the fewest quarterbacks, holding three, Mahomes rostered. Another guy has Dak and Stafford and nothing else. But Mahomes is the only reason I can do that. The Murray GM and Allen GM also have three QBs. But that's the minimum to hold in case of injury because there are no backups. Twelve teams with three QBs equals thirty-six at least.

I didn’t say anything about waivers. I don’t care how deep your roster is, it’s unfathomable to me that someone prefers mediocre and old vet QBs to an early rookie 2nd. 

I didn’t say anything about waivers. I don’t care how deep your roster is, it’s unfathomable to me that someone prefers mediocre and old vet QBs to an early rookie 2nd. 
You need more than third for a QB. Andy Dalton went for a third and fifth in my league last year. That's fine you don't believe that. You're just generally incorrect.

You need more than third for a QB. Andy Dalton went for a third and fifth in my league last year. That's fine you don't believe that. You're just generally incorrect.
I said to spend a 2nd on a vet rather than an unproven rookie QB. How is that saying that Dalton is worth less than a 3rd/5th?

I said to spend a 2nd on a vet rather than an unproven rookie QB. How is that saying that Dalton is worth less than a 3rd/5th?
Oh, I misunderstood what you were saying. You'd rather have the vet than Fields. I was thinking you were saying that Fields wouldn't approach a second-round pick, which he will. Perhaps I'm just talking past you. I'm looking at Fields's going rate, in 1 QB dynasty rookie mocks and in our leagues, and it's a second-round value, generally early. He's ahead of Wilson and Lance. He's ranked 14th in 1QB Rookie Dynasty ADP per DLFs aggregation of MLF mocks and drafts.

Who else besides Daniel Jeremiah is spewing the nonsense that the 49ers will take Jones at 3?

As far as I know, he's not a Belichick puppet....but I don't understand how "suddenly" Jones is 3 and Fields is 7.

Who else besides Daniel Jeremiah is spewing the nonsense that the 49ers will take Jones at 3?

As far as I know, he's not a Belichick puppet....but I don't understand how "suddenly" Jones is 3 and Fields is 7.
2021 NFL Draft: What Mac Jones advocates see in 49ers target

Excerpt:

With fewer than three weeks until the 2021 NFL Draft, an emerging consensus has identified Alabama quarterback as the 49ers' pick at No. 3 overall.

Jones is the odds-on betting favorite. Jones is the 49ers' pick in many mock drafts. NBC Sports' Chris Simms, Peter King and ESPN's Adam Schefter all think Jones is the pick. NBC Sports Bay Area's Matt Maiocco does, too.

Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer reports the Falcons will be in attendance at Ohio State QB Justin Field's second Pro Day.

Breer added that HC Arthur Smith will be joined by his DC Dean Pees and OC Dave Ragone. The Falcons are making a big show of their interest in Fields but this could easily be a way for Atlanta to entice another team to trade up to the No. 4 overall pick. The 49ers Jets, Broncos, and Patriots will also be at Field's second Pro Day. Neither New England nor Denver have a top-five pick but both could be in play to take Fields if he falls. Matt Ryan's contract all but ensures that he'll be on Atlanta's roster for a minimum of two more years. While Fields could start on the bench and learn from Ryan, adding an immediate play-maker making a run at the playoffs looks more likely based on Ryan's contract.

RELATED: 

Matt Ryan

, Atlanta Falcons

SOURCE: Albert Breer on Twitter

Apr 13, 2021, 6:01 PM ET

It's good to see that the world seems to be catching on to how empty the noggins are of the talking heads we see & hear on TV/radio/online.

“Justin was the only guy of the 24 quarterbacks there who was not only able to do it, but he was able to have the mental flexibility to flip calls on-demand without seeing it,” Avery said. “He had the highest grade of not only going through the correct read, but getting off things in the correct order. And he took the least amount of sacks. So for him to be able to do that at 18, it’s undoubted to me that he has the tools to do that a few years since then.”

Day’s offensive scheme tasked Fields with the responsibility of managing complex reads in addition to facing elite competition. According to NBC Sports Edge’s Derrik Klassen, 75 percent of Fields’s career opponents rank in the top 20 in defensive SP+. That’s by far the highest average of any QB in this year’s class. That difficult schedule never hindered Fields, though—the Buckeyes finished second in offensive SP+ last season, up from fourth in 2019.
Just placed a bet on Fields going #3. And a smaller hedge bet that he goes #2.

If 49ers take Mac Jones, they are buffoons. They won't take Mac Jones.

In case something happens to Wilson in the next 2 weeks. I don't think SF or any team would offer the Jets enough to move down from 1.02. 
Jets could still take Fields at 2. Or try to squeeze Shanahan into paying up to take Fields at 2, lol.

Just placed a bet on Fields going #3. And a smaller hedge bet that he goes #2.

If 49ers take Mac Jones, they are buffoons. They won't take Mac Jones.
On fanduel you can parlay fields under pick 4.5 and Jones over pick 3.5 for +500. I’m ridin this as well.

eta: odds for fields at 3 have gone from +175 to +150 today, Jones still -200.

Then he talks about being a suburban dad wearing lazy clothes so fit doesn't matter. Really good analogy. Made me want to sign up for the product.
If  a team spends a 1st round pick on a QB and tries to force him to play their system instead of building a system around them to maximize their skills, the team is straight up dumb. Also drafting a top 15-20 player because of their scheme fit instead of their talent is also bad process. 

On fanduel you can parlay fields under pick 4.5 and Jones over pick 3.5 for +500. I’m ridin this as well.

eta: odds for fields at 3 have gone from +175 to +150 today, Jones still -200.
This is sound financial strategy, IMO. I'm serious. I think Fields goes three.

This is sound financial strategy, IMO. I'm serious. I think Fields goes three.
I’ve had this bet in for a few days now, and fields at 3 for a few weeks. Just realized you can parlay the player over/under on fanduel. Jones hype is all media driven, just like the big Russel Wilson trade market.

Users who are viewing this thread