What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Justin Fields, PIT (2 Viewers)

Ohio State junior QB Justin Fields completed 24-of-28 passes for 314 yards and five touchdowns in Saturday's 49-27 win over Rutgers. 

At this point, even superlatives feel like not enough to describe the season Fields is having. For the second time this year, Fields threw more touchdowns than incompletions. He did the very same against Nebraska in the opener, when he threw two touchdowns to just a lone pass that hit the dirt. Whether making subtle moves in the pocket to his late crossers underneath or lofting beautiful floaters to the back corner of the end zone, Fields once again looked like he could make any throw on the field. His presence, accuracy, and processing continue to shine. What's more is that Fields (6'3"/228) also added a touchdown on the ground as well. There does not seem to be anything he cannot do right now. Ohio State will play a scrappy Maryland team next week. 

Nov 7, 2020, 11:21 PM ET

Hoping Dallas can finish in the 1.02 draft spot and take Fields. He's better than Dak and it's not all that close. 

Dak is a good guy and a B+ QB, but the Cowboys should walk away from a 35-40 million dollar deal that would hamstring the team with regard to signing other players.

When you can get a special QB on a rookie deal, it offers so many other possibilities. 

Fields is an interesting prospect. He throws dimes at times and then yet sometimes I watch him and go that was an odd decision.  He is good but not sure if it's Day's system or Fields. He is an okay runner but I think Lawrence is a better runner and overall prospect but how much better can Fields get? I don't think much.  I think what you see is what you get which is not bad. I just feel he is topped out where I see other prospects having room to grow.
Interesting perspective from a Buckeye fan. Thanks for sharing.

Hoping Dallas can finish in the 1.02 draft spot and take Fields. He's better than Dak and it's not all that close. 

Dak is a good guy and a B+ QB, but the Cowboys should walk away from a 35-40 million dollar deal that would hamstring the team with regard to signing other players.

When you can get a special QB on a rookie deal, it offers so many other possibilities. 
Completely disagree on the bold.

But for the value, and impact of that value, you might be right. 

Fields is an interesting prospect. He throws dimes at times and then yet sometimes I watch him and go that was an odd decision.  He is good but not sure if it's Day's system or Fields. He is an okay runner but I think Lawrence is a better runner and overall prospect but how much better can Fields get? I don't think much.  I think what you see is what you get which is not bad. I just feel he is topped out where I see other prospects having room to grow.
I’m guessing it’s Day’s system. Haskins looked like a stud and shattered school records in that system and look at him now. Of course it didn’t hurt that he had an amazing receiver corps. But that’s kind of the point isn’t it? OSU surrounds its QB with so much talent and it’s such a QB friendly system, it’s tough to truly evaluate the position. As a Skins fan, I hope they aren’t in a position to be tempted to take Fields. Let some other team take that chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohio State junior QB Justin Fields threw for 300 yards with two touchdowns and three interceptions on 18-of-30 passing while rushing for 75 yards and a score in a 42-35 win over Indiana on Saturday. 

For the first time all year, we saw Fields struggle on the football field. It looked like it was going to be another stroll in the park for the Heisman contender, as he completed two passes for 75 yards -- both to Garrett Wilson -- to give Ohio State a 7-0 lead. Shortly after that, the 6-foot-3, 228-pound quarterback threw an awful interception that was both a bad decision and a bad throw, and he'd throw two more picks that were on the signal-caller more than anything else. He also showed off his speed at times as you can see from those rushing totals, but Indiana was able to rattle the junior, and Superman looked human for most of Saturday afternoon. Still, Fields and OSU get a big win, and they'll take a 5-0 record into Champaign against Illinois next Saturday. 

Nov 21, 2020, 3:48 PM ET

I’m guessing it’s Day’s system. Haskins looked like a stud and shattered school records in that system and look at him now. Of course it didn’t hurt that he had an amazing receiver corps. But that’s kind of the point isn’t it? OSU surrounds its QB with so much talent and it’s such a QB friendly system, it’s tough to truly evaluate the position. As a Skins fan, I hope they aren’t in a position to be tempted to take Fields. Let some other team take that chance.
The same was said about Alabama QBs before Tua. I think Fields also breaks the mold. 

Most years, a stud QB looking human against IU would raise an alarm. Not so much this year, that team is surprisingly good.

Bad throws are still bad, but don't underrate that defense.

The same was said about Alabama QBs before Tua. I think Fields also breaks the mold. 
Tua was the presumed number 1 QB pick for years before the injuries. They aren’t being regarded in the same tier as prospects. 
Looking like garbage against the powerhouse Hoosiers certainly isn’t helping your argument. My thoughts on this guy remain the same. As a Skins fan, I hope they pass on him.

Ohio State junior QB Justin Fields completed 22-of-28 passes for 385 yards with six touchdowns and an interception in a 49-28 win over Clemson on Friday in the Sugar Bowl. 

This was one of the most impressive individual performances of anyone all year, especially when you consider the context, and even more so when you consider that it looked like the signal-caller was going to have to leave the game with an injury. He missed just one play, and while it was clear that the 6-foot-3, 228-pound quarterback was in pain, it didn't matter. Fields also added 42 yards on the ground, and the interception was a tipped pass. Trevor Lawrence is still the overwhelming favorite to be the first pick in this draft, but the Jets -- and any other team that needs a quarterback in this draft sans the Jaguars -- had to be salivating watching this performance. Ohio State gets to square off against Alabama in the championship game on January 11. Fun. 

Jan 1, 2021, 11:57 PM ET

QB1 of this draft to me, Jets fans were up in arms losing the 1 pick but you can't go wrong with him or Lawrence.

Fields looks like a mix of Mahomes and Lamar, the king of guy you want in this decade of the NFL

Don't over react to one or two games. It's about the body of work. 
I have liked his talent (who doesn't) but I think now more than ever you need what Fields gives you  when your likely comp is Zack Wilson.  Defenses are so athletic I think you need the threat of running  to keep defenses honest.  

I have liked his talent (who doesn't) but I think now more than ever you need what Fields gives you  when your likely comp is Zack Wilson.  Defenses are so athletic I think you need the threat of running  to keep defenses honest.  
Me too. I've thought the reactions to Indiana and Northwestern were over board but that he needed a big performance last night to get back in the conversation. Clearly he did that.

I am going to squabble with one bit of what you wrote though. I don't think you need a running threat in today's game. I think you need mobility, but not necessarily a running threat. This year's top 4 all have that.

I am confident all of them will be successful pros if put in a position to succeed - and that's the ultimate question needing answered in April. 

College Football Playoff: Five takeaways from Justin Fields vs. Trevor Lawrence

Excerpt:

1) Fields had more at stake than any other player in this year's College Football Playoff and saved his best performance for that stage, which is a big deal.

Friday night's game was the best I've ever seen him play. In his previous three starts, Fields had a touchdown-to-interception ratio of 4:5 and took 11 sacks. He wasn't decisive in those contests. It was the complete opposite story versus Clemson, though. He was urgent, trusted what he saw and let it rip. Fields had as many TD passes (6) as he had incompletions (6), finishing 22 of 28 for 385 yards with one INT and two sacks. It was a spectacular performance.

2) Former Ohio State coach Urban Meyer once told me that he felt toughness was an underrated core trait at the quarterback position. Well, you're not going to see a tougher performance than Fields' showing against Clemson. The Buckeyes' QB1 took a hard hit to the right side of his body from Tigers linebacker James Skalski, who was ejected for targeting on the play, but stayed in the game and went on to throw four of his six TD passes after the hit.

It's one thing to keep playing after suffering an injury and hand the ball off or check down underneath. He fought through it and was playing aggressively.

There's never been any question about whether Fields had the athletic tools teams covet. Tonight, he elevated himself by showing he has the toughness to succeed even when he's far from 100 percent.

3) Fields will get an even bigger stage in 10 days against a better team with a much better secondary. He now has the same opportunity Deshaun Watson had (and seized) four years ago: A chance to beat a Nick Saban-coached defense as your potential final closing statement on your college career.

Fields played a great game.   The college targeting call is a tough rule. To me the defender was in more jeopardy than fFields on that play as he could have had a neck injury.  The game is so fast that when a defender is ready to make a hit any slight movement by the offensive player and it could be targeting.  If Fields shifts one way or the other just a little and it is a shoulder to torso hit.

Not to be a downer but Clemson's defense missed assignments and outright  blew coverages last night and looked a bit lost.  I think Fields is a wonderful talent and if his decision making gets better than his ceiling will be better.  I would be careful to get too excited from one outing.  He has had some incredible bad decision making in the past. I also worry about his landing spot. I still see Trevor Lawrence as the better overall QB at the moment. I'm not sure how excited I would be to have either as my franchise QB.
Per my previous post, I don't think enough people think this way. From Aaron Rodgers to Tom Brady, landing spot is key. Not being drafted in the top 5 by some continuously crappy team.

Per my previous post, I don't think enough people think this way. From Aaron Rodgers to Tom Brady, landing spot is key. Not being drafted in the top 5 by some continuously crappy team.
Playing for a quality HC is everything when it comes to QBs (and vice versa)...if you look at the history of great QBs almost everyone of them played for a big time Coach...it really is amazing when you look at it.

Playing for a quality HC is everything when it comes to QBs (and vice versa)...if you look at the history of great QBs almost everyone of them played for a big time Coach...it really is amazing when you look at it.
Chicken vs egg. 

Dungy is a fine coach but Peyton was what made Indy great. 

So does that end the Justin Fields talk?  He didn’t look great. I get he was hurt so does he get a pass or does he free fall in the draft? 

That game should take quite a bit of air out of the Fields hype balloon. I never bought in and have been down on him for months, but this narrative that there might have been a decision between him and Lawrence after the Clemson game was absurd. 

Ohio State junior QB Justin Fields completed 17-of-33 passes for 194 yards and a touchdown in Monday's 52-24 loss to Alabama in the CFP National Championship presented by AT&T.

The final score may not show it, Fields had the offense rolling for a decent portion of this game. Fields lead a number of scoring drives in the first half, as well as one to open the third quarter. Unfortunately, the scoring stopped there. Alabama's defense started tightening up and the not-100% healthy Fields (6'3/228) could not quite overcome. Fields had a handful of instances in which he tried "wishing" covered wide receivers open, as well as a handful of other instances where he just barely missed his target. Considering the blowout Ohio State's defense was allowing, Fields played relatively well before things got too out of hand, especially since he also lead the team with 67 rushing yards, but didn't have enough in the arsenal to keep up with the juggernaut that is Alabama. Fields finishes the year with 22 passing touchdowns and six interceptions. Despite the loss, expect to hear Fields' name called very, very early come NFL Draft weekend. 

Jan 11, 2021, 11:57 PM ET

I'll give the kid credit for being out there. He wasn't just hurt, he was clearly injured and still played relatively well. He doesn't play defense and Bama was able to tee off on him when they had to play catch up.

But his demeanor doesn't pass the eye test. Maybe he's great in the huddle, sideline, etc. But his on field play and leadership style is just kind of...lethargic. You don't want a guy to be an out of control egomaniac, but neither do you want a stoic. 

He has the physical tools, but I worry about the rest of it.

So does that end the Justin Fields talk?  He didn’t look great. I get he was hurt so does he get a pass or does he free fall in the draft? 
No. Good decision making ceases to exist in an environment in which violent reaction tugs in different directions are the norm.

Fields long term prospects would benefit returning for another year of seasoning, but I don't think he will. He has the goods to be a long term starter, but he must go to an org with a cohesive developmental plan for him. A bad situation could ruin him.

Users who are viewing this thread