What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 50 Greatest VAN HALEN songs - Roth era only (list over) (1 Viewer)

Ghost Rider said:
21. And the Cradle Will Rock - my favorite song from Women and Children First.
Love this song. I've seen many many guitarists trying to duplicate the first two measures and no one's been able to match the sound Eddie achieved

Note: not posting links anymore for the songs (they are all easy to find on YT :cool: )

20. Big River - given that this came out of a demo from the early days, it is no surprise that this sounds like vintage VH.  Awesome song, where despite the more modern production they still totally capture the vibe and sound of the early days.

19. Hear About It Later - one of the major winners from the scary good Side 1 of Fair Warning.  Few VH moments sounds as awesome totally cranked to the max as the solo section with the guitar solo tearing it up while the bass and drums pound away.

Last edited by a moderator:
18. Jamie's Cryin' - I went off of this for a while due to it being overplayed on the radio back in the day, but I was away from it long enough to where it sounds new and fresh again.

17. Drop Dead Legs - awesome intro. "You know what you want it!!!"

16. Somebody Get Me a Doctor - killer riff, killer solo, hooks everywhere!

15. Jump - great song, haters be damned. Still sounds great every time I hear it.

14. Unchained - one of their most awesome riffs ever. Fair Warning rules.

13. Outta Love Again - another killer deep cut from II.  This one has really grown on me more and more over time.

12. I'm the One - getting to see this played on the tour with Cherone was just an awesome surprise.  And of course it is from the debut, so you know it's great.

11. Runnin' with the Devil - one of the all-time great track 1's from a debut album.  Just killer.

There's a song that I'm pretty shocked made Ghost Rider's top ten. It's a solid tune and all ... just seems like the kind of track most VH fans would consider filler. Now I'm intrigued.

EDIT: Never mind, didn't see the "no covers" rule. But "Ice Cream Man"? :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ghost Rider said:
18. Jamie's Cryin' - I went off of this for a while due to it being overplayed on the radio back in the day, but I was away from it long enough to where it sounds new and fresh again.

17. Drop Dead Legs - awesome intro. "You know what you want it!!!"

14. Unchained - one of their most awesome riffs ever. Fair Warning rules.
I've always found Jamie's Cryin to be overrated. I like the song but can't stand the chorus. I think.

It was such a great surprise to see Drop Dead Legs on the setlist for their last tour. Wolfie was generally responsible for the setlist on that tour and included some classics like this one. Really a great tune.

I definitely expected to see Unchained in the top 10. During their 2012 tour, they had been using GYRGM as the opener, but did two nights at Madison Square Garden. On night #2, they opened the show with Unchained - a total surprise - and it was awesome. I LOVE the energy from Eddie using this song as the opener. So much fun.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzekcloMyr0

Something else awesome happened at that particular show but that will be part of the discussion of a different song...

11. Runnin' with the Devil - one of the all-time great track 1's from a debut album.  Just killer.
What an amazing track 1 - my goodness. There is a really cool remix of this song that made the rounds just a few months ago - really fun stuff that backs up DLR's belief that a lot of Van Halen tracks could be dance tunes at different BPMs or with different presentations. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS7ZF1uS0BQ

I definitely expected to see Unchained in the top 10. During their 2012 tour, they had been using GYRGM as the opener, but did two nights at Madison Square Garden. On night #2, they opened the show with Unchained - a total surprise - and it was awesome. I LOVE the energy from Eddie using this song as the opener. So much fun.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzekcloMyr0

Something else awesome happened at that particular show but that will be part of the discussion of a different song...
:clap: Holy crap thanks for posting that...gave me chills. Can't imagine how awesome it must've been to be there.

10. Dirty Movies - yes, I consider this a top 10 song from the Roth years.  It is from Side 1 of Fair Warning after all. Love that long intro.
“Hey, you remember when that girl was prom queen? Oh wow...”  😎

Like others, I love seeing this one, especially since I thought we might not. The guitar work is fantastic throughout the song.

10. Dirty Movies - yes, I consider this a top 10 song from the Roth years.  It is from Side 1 of Fair Warning after all. Love that long intro.

09. Hot for Teacher - "But then my homework was never quite like this."  Great song, awesome video.  Totally 80's!!
Of course Hot for Teacher is fun and great.   Dirty Movies is a surprise this high but it’s a damn fine song!   Matter of fact, it’s pretty fun too.   

Not a lot of songs left, but I would guess the Top 5 will be Mean Street, Ain’t Talkin’ Bout Love, Hang ‘Em High, I’ll Wait, and Fools. Of course, I am eliminating the guitar instrumentals and cover songs from consideration. Maybe Little Dreamer sneaks in there. 

Jeez, why not let me list them instead of spoiling all or most of them? :rolleyes:   Not that there is a lot of suspense, but still.

07. Panama - what VH fan doesn't love them some PANAMA!!!!
This has always been my favorite VH song because it transports me back to my formative Jr High and HS days. I love this song because of how it makes me feel. As a former baseball player, I've always thought this would have been my "walk up" music if I had ever become good enough to have walk up music.

This song is the other "surprise" during that Mar 1, 2012 show at Madison Square Garden. An "article" had just come out a day or two prior from someone who believed the band was piping in vocals to cover for Wolfie - suggesting that Wolfie couldn't sing and that Micheal's harmonies were needed. That rankled the band and DLR in particular. If you watch this version of Panama, they triple-down out of the breakdown to show everyone they are all singing. Those that hadn't seen the BS article wouldn't have thought much of it, but this is the ONLY time they did this coming out of the breakdown...a subtle #### to those ripping the band. I love this. If you don't want to listen to the whole song - but why wouldn't you - jump to the 3:00 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBqGbmJtg3c

Solid list top to bottom. A little too much from A Different Kind of Truth.

Little Dreamer is criminally underrated, if there is such a song from the debut.

Would move I'll Wait down the list, no way it should be top 5. Rest of the top 10 is solid as is the top 20 for that matter.

Would move I'll Wait down the list, no way it should be top 5. Rest of the top 10 is solid as is the top 20 for that matter.
I agree with this re: I'll Wait. For whatever reason this is a song that never grabbed me.

As for the ADKOT overreach, I like it. That album was dismissed far too often thanks to Tattoo - I think it deserves all the inclusions here.

I agree with this re: I'll Wait. For whatever reason this is a song that never grabbed me.

As for the ADKOT overreach, I like it. That album was dismissed far too often thanks to Tattoo - I think it deserves all the inclusions here.
I’ll Wait is a good song but it would be in the middle of the pack for me.   I like it but I like at least 25 songs more.   Obviously, Mr. Rider enjoys the song more than I do and there is no right or wrong with music taste   

The order doesn’t matter much.   This is just another great reason to listen to VH.   

Ghost Rider said:
16. Somebody Get Me a Doctor - killer riff, killer solo, hooks everywhere!
Love when they start clapping in the middle of the song after Eddie's solo. 

Great list, so many 'can't go wrong' songs. Genius level talent. 

brianj74 said:
Solid list top to bottom. A little too much from A Different Kind of Truth.

Little Dreamer is criminally underrated, if there is such a song from the debut.

I think it is simply because it seems rare for fans to list it among the best from the debut, but I obviously think it is.  Love the vibe.

bigbottom said:
I absolutely love I’ll Wait. Top 10 for me. Sure, it’s a synth-focused tune, but in terms of songwriting it is one of their best in my opinion. 
Without a doubt.

Okay, who is going to start the thread for The 50 Greatest VAN HALEN Songs - Hagar era only?
I don't think they even did 50 songs with Sammy, did they?  The Van Halen police can probably confirm that. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread