What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cougar stalks hiker for 6 minutes. (1 Viewer)

WDIK2

Footballguy
Link

Sorry if posted.  :shock:   I don't think she ever wanted to attack him, just get him away from her cubs.  Still for most of it I was like, "Isn't that far enough?"

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
I watched that whole thing yesterday. Crazy how the cat moves to intimidate the guy. I was wondering why he didn't try and throw some rocks earlier. Not sure, but it looks like that is what finally chased it away. Crazy though!

:shock:  Never turn your back.  Each time he started to is when it did that flailing thing. 

I won’t forget the clips in this “big cat rescue” video. All of them stalk the guy as soon as his back turns. Stooping down to pick up a rock also makes you smaller and triggers their response. 

Cute in house cats.  Not so much when it can tear ya to pieces. 

I watched that whole thing yesterday. Crazy how the cat moves to intimidate the guy. I was wondering why he didn't try and throw some rocks earlier. Not sure, but it looks like that is what finally chased it away. Crazy though!
Was thinking the same thing.  I would've been worried about the moment you stop, she'd pounce.  

:shock:  Never turn your back.  Each time he started to is when it did that flailing thing. 

I won’t forget the clips in this “big cat rescue” video. All of them stalk the guy as soon as his back turns. Stooping down to pick up a rock also makes you smaller and triggers their response. 

Cute in house cats.  Not so much when it can tear ya to pieces. 
:goodposting: :goodposting:   :goodposting:  

Yeah, that's some scary stuff.

I'm sure there was a very brief "Aww....how cute. Little cougar cubs" moment right when he saw them. And then it was like.....oh ####. There's the momma.

I had a bear walk right past my sliding door (walkout basement where I have my office) right in the middle of a zoom call the other day. (was pretty embarrassing as I was on a call with like 5 senior VP's and apparently made this face  :eek: )  Wasn't a baby bear but wasn't full grown either, so the momma could still be around. Been very cautious out there ever since.

Saw this yesterday.  Thankfully I have never seen a big cat in the woods and I never want to.  I always try to make as much noise as possible, mostly to give snakes a chance to get away - I don't want to see them either.

I know if you encounter a bear, you are supposed to try to make yourself look big, wave your arms,  and use a deep voice, back away slowly and not trigger the chase instinct.  I assume its the same thing with mountain lions?  Dude probably handled that about as good as he could have.

Saw this yesterday.  Thankfully I have never seen a big cat in the woods and I never want to.  I always try to make as much noise as possible, mostly to give snakes a chance to get away - I don't want to see them either.

I know if you encounter a bear, you are supposed to try to make yourself look big, wave your arms,  and use a deep voice, back away slowly and not trigger the chase instinct.  I assume its the same thing with mountain lions?  Dude probably handled that about as good as he could have.
for reference:

In the rare case of a mountain lion encounter:

1. Do not run.
2. Face the mountain lion and back away slowly.
3. Make yourself appear threatening.
4. Keep children close.
5. If attacked, fight back!

Watched that video yesterday as well. That is some scary stuff. Only thing I could think to do in that instance would be to slowly pick up a few rocks. I want one big one to smash it in the head when it comes at me and starts gnawing my face off and a few to fire at it hoping it takes that as a sign it’s time to quit the stalking.

There's a long thread on Twitter from a guy who seems like he knows what he's talking about. In short, the cougar never wanted to hurt the guy. Cougar attacks are extremely rare, and when they do happen they come out of nowhere. They like sneak attacks and very rarely will fight straight up like this. The cougar just wanted him away from the cubs. Backing up was good, but you want to yell loudly in a deep voice, constantly. Not call the thing "dude" and "kitty cat" while telling it to go home to its babies. He also said never look away and never bend down to the ground - not even for a second. He should have grabbed a branch or a rock that was up higher along the side. Apparently even a branch tossed at it will spook a cougar. 

Also... don't record it, obviously. 

I see moleculo's link now... what he said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently, the guy said he had to take that same path to get back to his car after the cougar ran down it. Imagine that walk back.

The one thing I was surprised he didn’t do was kick rocks at it. You don’t have to bend down but there was a ton of gravel and small rocks. Seems like that would have helped without bending down or stopping. 

There's a long thread on Twitter from a guy who seems like he knows what he's talking about. In short, the cougar never wanted to hurt the guy. Cougar attacks are extremely rare, and when they do happen they come out of nowhere. They like sneak attacks and very rarely will fight straight up like this. The cougar just wanted him away from the cubs. Backing up was good, but you want to yell loudly in a deep voice, constantly. Not call the thing "dude" and "kitty cat" while telling it to go home to its babies. He also said never look away and never bend down to the ground - not even for a second. He should have grabbed a branch or a rock that was up higher along the side. Apparently even a branch tossed at it will spook a cougar. 

Also... don't record it, obviously. 

I see moleculo's link now... what he said.
Is the playbook for a bear the same?  Does it matter what type of bear?

The one thing I was surprised he didn’t do was kick rocks at it. You don’t have to bend down but there was a ton of gravel and small rocks. Seems like that would have helped without bending down or stopping. 
He probably didn't notice while looking through his phone screen.  Really the only thing he did wrong.  Would have been nice to have both arms free to flap around while making hawk screeches.  I think confusion is the best defense against a lion.

Sent this to my son and daughter-in-law who recently moved to Cheyenne, WY and are hiking at least once a week. Scary stuff!! I thought the guy handled it pretty well! 

He probably didn't notice while looking through his phone screen.  Really the only thing he did wrong.  Would have been nice to have both arms free to flap around while making hawk screeches.  I think confusion is the best defense against a lion.
Yeah, today’s mentality. I don’t care if I die as long I get it on YouTube.

Who’s got the patience to watch a six minute video? Looking for the 45 second tiktok version with a crappy pop music overlay.  

I don't think this is the full length version. For that you have to go to the cougar's website and buy a membership.

Yeah, today’s mentality. I don’t care if I die as long I get it on YouTube.
I mean, it's kind of awesome though. Not saying one should not value their life over ~*social exposure*~ but I really appreciate the documentation of an event 99% of us will never encounter.

Users who are viewing this thread