What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Carson Wentz a buy low candidate w/his weapons returning? (1 Viewer)

Saboo

Footballguy
I’ve noticed Wentz is out there on a lot of ww’s. Anybody think now is the time to pick him up as his weapons are close to returning or is this just a lost season?

I’ve noticed Wentz is out there on a lot of ww’s. Anybody think now is the time to pick him up as his weapons are close to returning or is this just a lost season?
Depends on a ton of your league settings.  But sure I suppose if you dont have short benches and don't have a top 10 fantasy qb right now then he's worth the grab.

I’m just thinking that it’s the perfect storm for him. He’s going to get back Jeffery, Godert Jackson, Reagor. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Deamon said:
Depends on a ton of your league settings.  But sure I suppose if you dont have short benches and don't have a top 10 fantasy qb right now then he's worth the grab.
What if you've got Lamar Jackson? Asking for a friend. :oldunsure:

I’m just thinking that it’s the perfect storm for him. He’s going to get back Jeffery, Godert Jackson, Reagor. 
Jeffery is long past washed up, Jackson is borderline and Reagor is a rookie. Not loving him in redraft. Hell, in redraft I'm surprised he isn't on waivers. Maybe in dynasty but all depends on prices.

Hard pass. He's closer to getting benched than breaking out. Sure there's a chance he could turn it around but a better chance that he's just not that good. 

most days i'd tell you Milkman is crazytalk. but, as a Wentz apologist and a Eagles fan, i'm losing faith by the day. the bad decision after another can't all be attributed to the bad oline and supporting cast, though it could be a David Carr@Hou situation where it's basically PTSD after each series of running for his life. For long term, i just don't know.

But as a lottery ticket for the back half of this year, what other QB is left on the wire who could end up top 10 rest of the way? the team won't be full strength at WR until after the bye week and that oline is still iffy, but schedule looks good and if everyone can get back on the field healthy you could do a lot worse. not a ringing endorsement, i know, lol.

most days i'd tell you Milkman is crazytalk. but, as a Wentz apologist and a Eagles fan, i'm losing faith by the day. the bad decision after another can't all be attributed to the bad oline and supporting cast, though it could be a David Carr@Hou situation where it's basically PTSD after each series of running for his life. For long term, i just don't know.

But as a lottery ticket for the back half of this year, what other QB is left on the wire who could end up top 10 rest of the way? the team won't be full strength at WR until after the bye week and that oline is still iffy, but schedule looks good and if everyone can get back on the field healthy you could do a lot worse. not a ringing endorsement, i know, lol.
Yep it's all relative. Wentz will improve... but not to the point of being a fantasy stud.

I understand people being skeptical, but he’s had nothing to work with thus far. If he gets his weapons back, I don’t think he’s going to be a stud, but it’s not out of the question he’s a top 12 QB

I understand people being skeptical, but he’s had nothing to work with thus far. If he gets his weapons back, I don’t think he’s going to be a stud, but it’s not out of the question he’s a top 12 QB
12 QBs who will finish the season with more points than Wentz

Josh Allen, Mahomes, Jackson, Murray, Rodgers, Herbert, Wilson, Watson, Goff, Mayfield, Tannehill, Brady, Brees, Big Ben, Cam Newton, Carr, Fitzpatrick if he isn’t benched, and quite possibly Dak Prescott considering Wentz could be close to being benched. So that’s more than 12 but I just don’t see it happening. 

I hear what you are saying, but once he gets past week 6 his schedule will be getting much easier and his weapons will be healthy. 

I feel like Wentz could have a similar track as Carr.  Carr was on a tear, got injured, and proceeded to turn into a deer in the headlights......Wentz, kinda the same.....but we've seen what he's capable of.  I think it's too soon to write him off, for sure.  And as his supporting cast improves, who knows, maybe he gets back to a pro bowl level......I just puked in my mouth a little

Also you hear a lot about guys being "better for real life than fantasy" but Wentz is the rare example of someone who could be the opposite.

The Eagles are 5th in plays run this year, 1st last year, 8th the year before that. They may not always be effective, but Pederson has never let the grass grow under their feet. And with their weaknesses in the secondary it's not like a lot of teams will be trying to run the ball and grind clock against them, either.

If he can get to the point where he's even the 20th-best QB statistically, that could still make him close to a top-12 fantasy QB on volume alone.

Also you hear a lot about guys being "better for real life than fantasy" but Wentz is the rare example of someone who could be the opposite.

The Eagles are 5th in plays run this year, 1st last year, 8th the year before that. They may not always be effective, but Pederson has never let the grass grow under their feet. And with their weaknesses in the secondary it's not like a lot of teams will be trying to run the ball and grind clock against them, either.

If he can get to the point where he's even the 20th-best QB statistically, that could still make him close to a top-12 fantasy QB on volume alone.
You mean like J. Winston?

Also, if Wentz becomes top 12 for fantasy, then that would mean he's doing a pretty miraculous job at QB with what he's working with to throw to.  Fulgham is our top guy right now.

Wentz's metrics are terrible this year. Isn't throwing catchable balls, poor decision making... the WR injuries are masking some of the issues but before where all he needed was Ertz to make magic he doesn't have that ability anymore (and Ertz looks like he lost his smile). I think he'll improve especially once Goedert returns, but I'm not sure if it will be a big improvement. Certainly not a Top 15 guy unless he really cleans up his accuracy.

Wentz's metrics are terrible this year. Isn't throwing catchable balls, poor decision making... the WR injuries are masking some of the issues but before where all he needed was Ertz to make magic he doesn't have that ability anymore (and Ertz looks like he lost his smile). I think he'll improve especially once Goedert returns, but I'm not sure if it will be a big improvement. Certainly not a Top 15 guy unless he really cleans up his accuracy.
I see him around QB12-15 for the 2nd half of the season.  Still barely startable unless you're desperate.

Yes, but - not yet. As bad as it's been it'll go worse this week. Re-assess with new info Monday/Tuesday then decide whether to make the move.

Their whole team is a mess. Why is everyone pinning it on Wentz? I thought what he did last year with that supporting cast was amazing. His supporting cast is in shambles once again and from the looks of it his oline sucks. He can’t do it all on his own all the time.

He dropped three td’s last week in a gutsy comeback. He’s getting Dallas (Big upgrade over Ertz) Goedert back by week ten at the latest. Jaylen Reagor and Alshon Jeffery are right around the corner and DeSean Jackson is back tonight. While I don’t expect a lot tonight vs the Giants, I still think there is some late season potential here.

The problem is that the line is in shambles too.  It's pretty amazing what he's done with absolutely zero help around him.

I actually like Wentz quite a bit long term.  I think he can have a Matt Ryan type career.  But I don't think Philly's problems are fixable enough this year for him to be a fantasy difference maker in redraft.

IDK, second week in a row with 3td’s and his weapons are on the way back. Gutsy win for the Eagles and Wentz

Wentz - 359 passing yards, 15 yards running yds,  3td’s, 1 int...Very solid numbers with the majority of his weapons still injured. I think he’s a pretty obvious buy low guy.

FreeBaGeL said:
The problem is that the line is in shambles too.  It's pretty amazing what he's done with absolutely zero help around him.

I actually like Wentz quite a bit long term.  I think he can have a Matt Ryan type career.  But I don't think Philly's problems are fixable enough this year for him to be a fantasy difference maker in redraft.

Saboo said:
IDK, second week in a row with 3td’s and his weapons are on the way back. Gutsy win for the Eagles and Wentz

Wentz - 359 passing yards, 15 yards running yds,  3td’s, 1 int...Very solid numbers with the majority of his weapons still injured. I think he’s a pretty obvious buy low guy.
Obviously just depends what you're looking for and who your other QB is.  If you've got a top 5 QB, the answer is no.

After this week, Carson is going to be a top 10 scoring fantasy QB in total points.  He's a low end QB1.

Obviously just depends what you're looking for and who your other QB is.  If you've got a top 5 QB, the answer is no.

After this week, Carson is going to be a top 10 scoring fantasy QB in total points.  He's a low end QB1.
I'm loving him as my third QB in a 2QB league. Am playing match-ups so didn't play him tonight and will likely regret it.  

I have three borderline top 10 QBs IMO - Matt Ryan, Ben Roethlisberger, and Wentz (all TDs are 6 pts so I view them interchangeably and play match-ups)
I would have made the same decision this week on those 3. May not pan out but in a vacuum you made the right choice. Having said that... I didn’t start Matt Ryan last week so sometimes vacuums suck.

I have three borderline top 10 QBs IMO - Matt Ryan, Ben Roethlisberger, and Wentz (all TDs are 6 pts so I view them interchangeably and play match-ups)
Ya Ben and Wentz were a coin flip this week per fbg rankings.  I had the exact same decision in one league and literally flipped a coin and it landed on Carson so I lucked out.

I would have made the same decision this week on those 3. May not pan out but in a vacuum you made the right choice. Having said that... I didn’t start Matt Ryan last week so sometimes vacuums suck.
Indeed, I started Ryan last week (good call), but also started him the prior week (bad call).  It happens.  Not gonna get 'em all right but if you have good choices and make sound decisions your team will be better off for it even if it means you have some additional remorse along the way

Indeed, I started Ryan last week (good call), but also started him the prior week (bad call).  It happens.  Not gonna get 'em all right but if you have good choices and make sound decisions your team will be better off for it even if it means you have some additional remorse along the way
I’ve started Ryan every week since week 3.  Lol. I’ve literally missed all his good weeks. But I own Julio and  Ridley on the same team, so it all worked out. Starting him this week so I’m ready for a letdown.

I know, know... this post has nothing to do with Wentz but I like beer.

So is the answer to this officially a yes?  I looked at the numbers and was actually pretty surprised that Wentz is QB7 this year for the entire year.  Means he's ALREADY a QB1 without any of his weapons.

Certainly not a Top 15 guy unless he really cleans up his accuracy.

12 QBs will finish the season with more points than Wentz

In one QB leagues, I’m not sure he is a bye-week filler.   

Hard pass. He's closer to getting benched than breaking out.

Hell, in redraft I'm surprised he isn't on waivers.

Not with that offensive line.

But I don't think Philly's problems are fixable enough this year for him to be a fantasy difference maker in redraft.
Currently QB7 on the season.

Currently QB7 on the season.
Out of curiosity, what is the league format?  In my league, he's currently QB14  and that's with an extra game played over a few of the other guys who are close by.  Actually never mind - I see yahoo hasn't' updated to account for this week yet.  I'll have to look again tomorrow or later on.

Out of curiosity, what is the league format?  In my league, he's currently QB14  and that's with an extra game played over a few of the other guys who are close by.
Seriously???  That seems unlikely.... are you not counting this week yet?

All my leagues he's sitting in 7th.  Pretty standard scoring.  Goff has an outside shot to catch him tonight but doubtful, and Foles won't, so he should still be in the QB7 spot after tonight.

Seriously???  That seems unlikely.... are you not counting this week yet?

All my leagues he's sitting in 7th.  Pretty standard scoring.  Goff has an outside shot to catch him tonight but doubtful, and Foles won't, so he should still be in the QB7 spot after tonight.
Yeah I edited my post.  So I guess he was around QB14 (give or take depending on league settings) and jumped up 7 spots after this week. 

Yeah I edited my post.  So I guess he was around QB14 (give or take depending on league settings) and jumped up 7 spots after this week. 
Ya QB7 now.  Of course not having a bye yet is a factor, but he is still QB11 in terms of Average Per Week, and he's climbing up quickly.

When this forum was made I thought qb12-15 end of season, but I'm starting to think he will end around the QB8 spot barring injury.  Which makes him a decent QB1.

Users who are viewing this thread