What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Biden Years - Every day something more shocking than the last!! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m hoping his team preps him for this response although I would tweak it a little. “Trump has spent more time obsessing over Hunters emails than he has actually addressing the current pandemic where 225k of our fellow citizens have died.  He cares more about getting re-elected than he does your lives.”
I think Joe should look incredulous and ask him what he's talking about.  Then say, "This is the first I ever heard of this", followed by "Sorry, I don't get my News from Fox opinion pieces".  This would trigger Trump for sure.

That is certainly true because that is the plan. Say as little as possible about anything.  

Which, if we can be objective and not just blindly defend "our side", doesn't that seem a little peculiar? 

I mean, isn't it normal that when someone accuses us of something and we are guilty, we kind of lash out, call it stupid...grumble a bit...or go quiet?  

But when someone accuses us of something and we KNOW we are innocent, don't we get this bullet proof mentality of "i'll go out of my way to denounce this?"  

It reminds me of kids:  Jane, did you push Bobby down?

guilty Jane-"no..(softly).  Or NO! (start yelling and try to deflect).

Innocent Jane-I absolutely did not and I am not going to let Bobby get away with that. I (explains it rationally).

For whatever reason, we humans seem to be hardwired that we speak more about things in a more convincing tone when we are right and believe in what we are saying and we seem to clam up when we don't. 

Just one guy's opinion but I would think that if they were absolutely without guilt, they and their campaign would have made a strong point to get that out there but for some reason they haven't.  

It will be interesting to see where this goes.
I don't think it has anything to do with this.  I think it has to do with answering the moderator's questions and topics and not getting sidetracked into something your opponent is trying to steer you into.  Biden acknowledging this with a response is a win for Trump.  Biden staying on topic and ignoring this is a win for Biden.  This is why Trump should move on if Biden doesn't take the bait.

That is certainly true because that is the plan. Say as little as possible about anything.  

Which, if we can be objective and not just blindly defend "our side", doesn't that seem a little peculiar? 

I mean, isn't it normal that when someone accuses us of something and we are guilty, we kind of lash out, call it stupid...grumble a bit...or go quiet?  

But when someone accuses us of something and we KNOW we are innocent, don't we get this bullet proof mentality of "i'll go out of my way to denounce this?"  

It reminds me of kids:  Jane, did you push Bobby down?

guilty Jane-"no..(softly).  Or NO! (start yelling and try to deflect).

Innocent Jane-I absolutely did not and I am not going to let Bobby get away with that. I (explains it rationally).

For whatever reason, we humans seem to be hardwired that we speak more about things in a more convincing tone when we are right and believe in what we are saying and we seem to clam up when we don't. 

Just one guy's opinion but I would think that if they were absolutely without guilt, they and their campaign would have made a strong point to get that out there but for some reason they haven't.  

It will be interesting to see where this goes.
there is some truth to this, but responding in that way is an emotional outbreak.  The rational response, especially given today's circumstances, is to ignore and downplay. 

This is a professional campaign managed by professional advisers.  They know that speaking about this (1) breathes air into the claim (2) turns the campaign into Trump vs Biden, when they know full well it's better as Trump vs not-Trump.

So bizarre but somewhat understandable.   I truly believe in 16-17  Joe Biden never thought he would end up as the Dem nominee for POTUS, nobody did. Joe might have thought he was pretty much done.  Then it comes down to  "Why not get while the getting is good?" and make a ton of cash for himself and his family.  Lobbyist`s do this all the time.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Godsbrother said:
And this is Trump's goal.   He wants the debate to be about Hunter Biden which is of little importance to most Americans who are more concerned with the pandemic, unemployment, health care, the growing trade deficit with China, civil unrest, etc. 
I would be perfectly fine leaving it out even though it might (might?) be significant. But since there are other pressing topics we can't cover them all. But in saying that, I would expect that there wouldn't be anyone wanting to bring up taxes and beating a dead horse about denouncing white supremacy which has been covered ad naseum. 

But the topics set do not align with what Americans are interested in.

"Fighting COVID-19," "American Families," "Race in America," "Climate Change," "National Security" and "Leadership."

According to Polling, the top issues are, in order:

1. Economy

2. Health Care

3.Supreme Court

4. Coronavirus

5.Violent Crime

6.Foreign Policy

So, only 1, maybe two topics depending on how it unravels, really hits on what people want to listen to positions on as they decide and foreign policy, which has always been significant and is usually covered in the last debate is left off completely? We couldn't find a home for that? Not only did we include climate change, which nobody is asking about, we went out of our way to actually remove it. 

Can't cover it all but I think if the idea is to benefit the voting public we should cover topics voters want to discuss and we should give a baseline for the challenger to review the sitting president's work but as we can see, there are really no clear topics that would allow good conversation about actual policies implemented or avoided during the administration unless a candidate goes off path to bring it up.  For example, Instead of saying "what have you done regarding foreign policy?, it won't be a topic.  

Instead of asking "what measures did you enact re: healthcare, it will instead be rolled into Trump saying he helped American Families with tax cuts to afford health cut and he's doing deals to lower med costs and Biden will say something like "You want to repeal healthcare during a pandemic". And then Trump might say "and you want to tax people more during a pandemic and they won't be able to afford the healthcare".  It doesn't help us. 

I truly believe an old school debate is more practical. Let each man look at the other and say "what did you do or not do about this specific policy or action taken?" and let the other defend their position and let the people decide who makes more sense. 

I don't think it has anything to do with this.  I think it has to do with answering the moderator's questions and topics and not getting sidetracked into something your opponent is trying to steer you into.  Biden acknowledging this with a response is a win for Trump.  Biden staying on topic and ignoring this is a win for Biden.  This is why Trump should move on if Biden doesn't take the bait.
I believe you are missing the point of a debate.  It is a debate to defend and announce your position, not an interview. 

I think Joe should look incredulous and ask him what he's talking about.  Then say, "This is the first I ever heard of this", followed by "Sorry, I don't get my News from Fox opinion pieces".  This would trigger Trump for sure.
There are any number of zingers that Joe can come back with. "Sorry, I have been too busy trying to come up with a strategy to tackle a pandemic that has killed 225,000 people and has the country down 10 million jobs. Something the President has failed at and chosen to ignore. But the President doesn't care about that and doesn't care about the American people. He only cares about getting reelected."

If Biden is prepped, he can get in some good body blows. "Again, Mr. President, we as a nation have just passed the total number of fatalities incurred during the Civil War and we are are going full speed ahead to surpass the total fatalities from World War II by the end of the year. Yet you choose to take your focus away from the American people and instead have spent the entire pandemic combing the Ukraine digging up dirt on me and my family and engaging with Russian operatives. This has already been investigated and they concluded nothing illegal went on. I am here to discuss plans, policies, and the future of this great country and that's the last I will talk about anything involving my son."

there is some truth to this, but responding in that way is an emotional outbreak.  The rational response, especially given today's circumstances, is to ignore and downplay. 

This is a professional campaign managed by professional advisers.  They know that speaking about this (1) breathes air into the claim (2) turns the campaign into Trump vs Biden, when they know full well it's better as Trump vs not-Trump.
I hear what you are saying and there is definitely strategy for each side that is best left served or not but on the one item bolded I think one of the first things we all learn in any law class is "the truth is always a solid defense" so there are many cases with all sorts of things where addressing something with the truth is the most effective way to address something AND also at the same time put it to bed.  Ignoring it and, certainly not disavowing it, in this case, is what fans the embers and leads some to think "maybe there is something to this".

Standing in the same spot as the party over Trump people, off to the side disgusted with the state of politics today.  
Oh, I get it.  There were just plenty of loud folks here screaming "Party over Country" at any support of Trump for years.  Now those same folks are supporting Biden no matter what.  Two peas in a pod

I believe you are missing the point of a debate.  It is a debate to defend and announce your position, not an interview. 
It's also about strategy.  If the topic is American families and Biden brings up Stormy and the 130K payment made to her, do you think Trump goes on defense?  He would barely acknowledge this.  The less time he spends on defense, the better.

I hear what you are saying and there is definitely strategy for each side that is best left served or not but on the one item bolded I think one of the first things we all learn in any law class is "the truth is always a solid defense" so there are many cases with all sorts of things where addressing something with the truth is the most effective way to address something AND also at the same time put it to bed.  Ignoring it and, certainly not disavowing it, in this case, is what fans the embers and leads some to think "maybe there is something to this".
disavowing has other implications.  What if some of it is true, some of it is fabrication? 

If you deny, the other side will point to something irrelevant that happens to be demonstrably true and say, "Aha! you said this was not true but here's evidence that it is!"

the current news environment is a black-and-white world.  There isn't room for nuance with soundbites or 280 characters.  Any defense that requires nuance will not be understood.  Avoiding nuance and getting right to the hart of the point is something that Republicans have absolutely mastered over the past 40 years.

It would not surprise me if Trump bashed Biden for trying to make corrupt deals but he is such a failure that he couldn't even pull that off. But according to the GOP, there is clear evidence he tried to make millions off of his name, he lied about his involvement in Hunter's businesses, and millions of dollars changed hands (citing the $3.5 million that they are saying was given to Hunter from the wife of the Moscow mayor).

Even Trump's own advisors are telling him to stick to his record, his accomplishments, and his economy pre-COVID and to minimize his attacks on Hunter Biden. Like last time, Biden can flip things to make Hunter out to be a tragic story and the president will look like he is attacking someone with an addiction problem. Essentially, Trump could lose more voters than he would gain by beating up Biden over his son, the emails, and the illicit photographs.
Interesting fact that probably nobody knows, the drug addiction rate in America decreased during the Trump administration and it is the first time it has in this country in over 30 years. 

Not really tied to what you guys are talking about but I just wanted to PSA that. 

Well said.  There's no proof.  Besides,  Biden can pardon Hunter after he's in office anyway.  Isn't that what presidents do these days?  Have their friends and family members take advantage of their family name to fill their wallets?  Then pardon them when they're caught doing his bidding?  Oh wait...  Only one president does this.   If this is all the Republicans have to hang their hat on it's gonna be a bright blue sky next month.
To be fair, all presidents pardon people that people have issue with. 

Bill Clinton pardoned his brother Robert who went to jail for Cocaine charges. If that isn't skeptical, then what?  Or better yet, In 1868, President Andrew Johnson fully pardoned every soldier who fought for the Confederate Army. So here is  president who pardoned thousands of traitors to the country.  This is NOT something "only one president does". Contrary to popular opinion, history doesn't begin when the democratic party wants it to. 

Shutout said:
PSA: 

For all you guys mentioning "smear campaign", to quote the Evil Vizzini, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.”

A smear campaign, also referred to as a smear tactic or simply a smear, is an effort to damage or call into question someone's reputation, by propounding negative information. It is NOT, by definition, a lie. It is, most of the time, a truth that is embarrassing or uncomfortable and unpleasant and harms the accused of looking credible....but it is not typically a lie. 
Definition of smear campaign from Oxford Languages:

a plan to discredit a public figure by making false or dubious accusations
Oxford Languages is the world’s leading dictionary publisher, with over 150 years of experience creating and delivering authoritative dictionaries globally in more than 50 languages.

What is included in this English dictionary?

Oxford’s English dictionaries are widely regarded as the world’s most authoritative sources on current English.

Summer Wheat said:
That seems the most credible. 

So are we looking at another long investigation in congress if Biden wins?
No way if Biden were somehow to win would Congress do any sort of investigation. Biden has literally been in Washington for almost 50 years in the swamp grifting. He knows where all the bodies are buried so to speak. 

So bizarre but somewhat understandable.   I truly believe in 16-17  Joe Biden never thought he would end up as the Dem nominee for POTUS, nobody did. Joe might have thought he was pretty much done.  Then it comes down to  "Why not get while the getting is good?" and make a ton of cash for himself and his family.  Lobbyist`s do this all the time.  
:shrug:

The need for more   :moneybag:  Is never ending or the juice from the grift is never ending  

Definition of smear campaign from Oxford Languages:

Oxford Languages is the world’s leading dictionary publisher, with over 150 years of experience creating and delivering authoritative dictionaries globally in more than 50 languages.

What is included in this English dictionary?

Oxford’s English dictionaries are widely regarded as the world’s most authoritative sources on current English.
Here is the definition I see but I have no problem accepting the Oxford Language definition. A smear campaign is an intentional, premeditated effort to undermine an individual's or group's reputation, credibility, and character.

I can think of examples where candidates were "smeared" with the truth but I suppose it has become like "Velcro".  Velcro, in itself, is simply a brand of hook and loop fasteners but have become synonymous for a specific thing.

So, I happily retract my statement and accept that people see it as always being false and dubious.  Thanks for pointing it out.  

I don't get how people don't get this.  They ought to each be able to ask their own questions of the other.  Not reporter hacks setting it up for their favorite candidate.  People want Joe to respond to packing the court and the money he's received from China.  Two topics that will be completely ignored tonight by the "moderators".  Moderators should moderate, not develop and ask softball questions.

I don't get how people don't get this. 
I don't get how Trump would agree to a format that costs him votes. Is it because he is desperate or is it because he simply doesn't know any better?

If it's such a bad deal, he should back out and do another town hall. I'm sure NBC would be more than happy to host it.......

I don't get how Trump would agree to a format that costs him votes. Is it because he is desperate or is it because he simply doesn't know any better?

If it's such a bad deal, he should back out and do another town hall. I'm sure NBC would be more than happy to host it.......
Who said that?  We were talking about Joe.

Who said that? 
You complained about the debate format, did you not?

(e.g., "they ought to be able to ask their own questions", "not reporter hacks", "topics will be ignored by the moderators", "moderators should not ask softball questions". Those are complaints, are they not?)

I then asked why Trump would agree to such a disadvantageous arrangement in the first place.

If you don't want to answer, or are unable to provide one, that's fine.

You complained about the debate format, did you not?

(e.g., "they ought to be able to ask their own questions", "not reporter hacks", "topics will be ignored by the moderators", "moderators should not ask softball questions". Those are complaints, are they not?)

I then asked why Trump would agree to such a disadvantageous arrangement in the first place.

If you don't want to answer, or are unable to provide one, that's fine.
We were taking about how Biden will continue to avoid the issues people care about hearing from him.  You can't stop fixating over Trump for some reason.

That may help Trump, I don't know.  I don't think it hurts him, smart people see if for what it is.

We were taking about how Biden will continue to avoid the issues people care about hearing from him.
Oh, okay.

Then my response to that is: because it's a winning strategy that is supported by the majority of candidates, press, and the electorate. :thumbup:

Biden is being quite savvy, forcing his opponent to agree to terms that are more likely to benefit Biden. It's really an alpha move on Joe's part: he sets the terms, and everyone else either has to agree or they'll look like a whiny pouter. I love it.

Michale Moore is going wild and is correct. What kind of campaign has their candidate turtle up in the basement for four straight days two weeks before an election while the opponent holds multiple events around the country every day?

“Debate prep” is the excuse, but something is way off here. Biden better have the performance of his life tonight after all the hiding this week. 

Michale Moore is going wild and is correct. What kind of campaign has their candidate turtle up in the basement for four straight days two weeks before an election while the opponent holds multiple events around the country every day?

“Debate prep” is the excuse, but something is way off here. Biden better have the performance of his life tonight after all the hiding this week. 
It's smart strategy. Lay low, avoid the press, let your opponent make mistakes.

No it isn't. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.  Debate prep is what it is and makes more sense than holding super spreader rallies as the pandemic is peaking or hitting new highs again in several states.

So listening to a talk show today it seems Russia wants Trump, China and Iran want Biden.  Any other major players involved with our election?

Oh, okay.

Then my response to that is: because it's a winning strategy that is supported by the majority of candidates, press, and the electorate. :thumbup:

Biden is being quite savvy, forcing his opponent to agree to terms that are more likely to benefit Biden. It's really an alpha move on Joe's part: he sets the terms, and everyone else either has to agree or they'll look like a whiny pouter. I love it.
:lmao:   You can't use "savvy" or "alpha" to describe sleepy Joe.

No it isn't. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.  Debate prep is what it is and makes more sense than holding super spreader rallies as the pandemic is peaking or hitting new highs again in several states.
Debate prep.  :lol:   He's memorizing things given to him.  He has to do it over, and over, to keep from getting it mixed up.  He even had a sheet of paper in the town hall and still messed up the numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread