What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Keys to good relationships (1 Viewer)

gianmarco

Footballguy
Saw a mention about a psychological researcher named John Gottman and decided to take a look at some of his stuff. 

I came across this video and just finished watching it.

I think this is something that should be required viewing for all.  It's geared towards marriages but it has lots of things that apply to other relationships/interactions as well. 

It's about 45 minutes long but it's super easy to listen to and I truly think is worth your time, even if you have successful relationships.

Hope some of you watch and it ends up helping out. 

watched half. not saying he's wrong, only that he's the relationship equivalent of most diet doctors. i already know that if i eat right and exercise, i'll lose weight. nobody's telling me how i can do those things without becoming so bored, irritated & disgusted with life that i lose interest in extending it that's the point.

A: don't buy her a gun

B: don't buy her a knife

😄 don't buy her anything that can be described as a "blunt object".

watched half. not saying he's wrong, only that he's the relationship equivalent of most diet doctors. i already know that if i eat right and exercise, i'll lose weight. nobody's telling me how i can do those things without becoming so bored, irritated & disgusted with life that i lose interest in extending it that's the point.
I'm usually on board with your perspective. But I'll disagree here. I think he actually touches on quite a few things that I was never consciously aware of. Little things that even some awareness can make a big difference. He also gives good examples to illustrate what he means. 

Not saying that by watching it we are all going to have incredible new relationships. But it can certainly help some even fix a few aspects of how we interact that could help substantially for some.

I'm usually on board with your perspective. But I'll disagree here. I think he actually touches on quite a few things that I was never consciously aware of. Little things that even some awareness can make a big difference. He also gives good examples to illustrate what he means. 

Not saying that by watching it we are all going to have incredible new relationships. But it can certainly help some even fix a few aspects of how we interact that could help substantially for some.
glad he did. we can't ever help each other too much and if he did help you to greater understanding, capacity or enthusiasm, goodonya both.

I read "The Relationship Cure" that Dr. Gottman wrote just before I got divorced.   I also went to a couples counselor who used a couple of their card decks.  The card decks are useful for starting conversations when you're having trouble communicating.   

The keys that can drive one of you away from the other for a short period of time on occasion.

Shocking that @Otis would like this post.

Saw a mention about a psychological researcher named John Gottman and decided to take a look at some of his stuff. 

I think this is something that should be required viewing for all.  It's geared towards marriages but it has lots of things that apply to other relationships/interactions as well. 

It's about 45 minutes long but it's super easy to listen to and I truly think is worth your time, even if you have successful relationships.

Very good gianmarco,

Some great tips.

Thanks for sharing.🤝

Open communication(listening), Setting boundaries, Trust, and this sounds cheesy, but showing affection. I was raised in a strict, non affectionate household. A meaningful embrace, and I love you go a long way.

gianmarco said:

This looks good, I'm going to try to watch It this weekend.

From the title, presumably (I only watched snippets to confirm) this is based on Gottman's book "7 principles for making marriage work." Here is a 7-minute summary of the book from One Percent Better. I'm still going to watch the 47-minute video because I'm sure I'll learn something from it, but the shorter one might give folks a good feel where he is coming from.

One thing I have been contemplating the last few years is how to get through life changes together. I'm divorced and in a newish relationship now. I wasn't married a long time (5 years) and I was divorced a long time ago (2001.) Including my ex-wife, I have had three relationships which lasted 8 or more years. Around year 5-7, a lot of times we find our partner has seemingly changed so much since when we first were getting to know each other. But I am coming around to the idea that isn't exactly true. You see, it actually takes us - all of us, men and women - that long to truly reveal ourselves. At that point we kind of have a choice. Throw up our hands and say "This isn't who I knew 5/6/7 years ago. You've changed; I'm outta here." Or we could decide "I am finally getting to know the real you. Huh. Not what I expected. Let's see if I can learn to love this person as well."

It's a working (unproven) theory, I might off base. But that perspective is giving me hope for my next serious relationship.

- if you love your mate, make time & space to regularly remember & celebrate why. 
And vocalize to them all of that.

I've realized how little I do in that regard...have had the relationship slide where discussion is just about what trivial but necessary #### needs to be done on a daily basis. not enough talk of what's so great about her in the first place. I've been making a point to try more, but still not enough- would be great to make it daily at the very least, but without making it become inconsequential. Conversely, I don't think she's said a single nice thing about me to my face in years. :(

I've realized how little I do in that regard...have had the relationship slide where discussion is just about what trivial but necessary #### needs to be done on a daily basis. not enough talk of what's so great about her in the first place. I've been making a point to try more, but still not enough- would be great to make it daily at the very least, but without making it become inconsequential. Conversely, I don't think she's said a single nice thing about me to my face in years. :(
the sadfunny thing is that she probably still thinks them but wont give you the satisfaction of knowing that til you stop being a big ol poop.

i do a good bit of online lifecoaching these days and, if the client is a married man, one the first visualizations i have him do (even if he hasnt come to me for marital problems) is to paint a mental picture of the woman he fell in love with (keeping my fingers xed that its still his wife). all the little things. i have him do a brain-capture of it and instruct him to put it up on his screen at some point during each extended dealing with his mate.

it's good for everybody to have a way to remind themselves regularly that they are on their own side, even better to know there is someone else who is. understanding and remaining aware of such intrinsic value in the elements of our lives keeps us from seeing ourselves and loved ones as the tired old things we become when we forget to stay ahead of ourselves.

Mmm. Felt that.

That part you can't directly control. Which is really a bummer, because we all need affirmation and warm fuzzies. On a daily basis. Tough when you go long stretches without any of that.

What you could try - and I'm cognizant this is going to sound insane, trite, unrealistic - try changing the dynamic. Start thanking her. For things she does everyday but it makes a difference in the quality of home life. Don't make a big deal out of it, just show her you appreciate something she has done for kids. Start paying more attention again and find something nice to compliment her on. If you have to, get away for a minute and list out all of the positive things about her. Or all the things you used to love about her and wish they could somehow come back.

You're not doing this to manipulate her into reciprocating. Again, we can't change others behaviors. But start becoming the best version of yourself, irrespective of how she is behaving. That part you can control.

I was talking with a friend today who is WFH with his wife (also wfh) and 1 year old. He's pretty busy with a full load this semester of online classes. By necessity he has to spend a good amount of time in the loft/office studying, reading and completing homework assignments. His bride of three years is trying to be supportive of him completing his masters. But it occurred to him she is pulling a little more weight than usual in the childcare area, plus she personally is not receiving as much attention as she might be accustomed to, and although it hadn't really surfaced, there might be some underlying issues. After the baby went to sleep last night he had a good conversation with his wife. He opened with just thanking her and telling her how much it meant to him that she is giving him the time and freedom for his studies. Then he acknowledged that he wasn't able to be the kind of involved dad he normally has been, and probably wasn't being the attentive husband she had enjoyed the first couple years. He asked her a series of probing questions about how that made her feel, what could he do different, until she started opening up. Then he shut up and listened. She was really honest and opened up about a little simmering resentment she had felt from time to time (and felt guilty about feeling it.) He validated what she told him, assuring her that seemed totally normal, anyone in the same circumstance might have those feelings. Just kind of laid aside his ego or how her response made him feel, and focused on what she was telling him. To me it sounded like an "oh man, that's a rough conversation" kind of thing, but he totally embraced it. He wants her to be expressive and feel heard and not feel like she is alone in the sacrifices she is making. Gotta give the man credit, that's really stepping up, going above and beyond.

Anyway, I know how hard it is if you feel stuck and the days are just one daily grind after another. It can feel pretty gray and empty, and other than being a provider, a "good dad", faithful to your vows/commitment, you start to wonder why you are doing it. Why should you try harder if she isn't paying attention herself? It's tough to break relationship patterns! But you can try to be disruptive (in an awesome way) by beginning to show her you still care, you still value her, you want to be a source of good in her life. It's a great time to evaluate, and not in a "how can I disentangle myself" way. You already recognize you are in a suboptimal place and it's frustrating/overwhelming contemplating how hard it might be to effect genuine change. Start small.

Just map out where you want to get to - start thinking in terms of the eventual change you want to see - and then brainstorm little baby steps to get you there. Start stacking up Ws, however insignificant. Get some positive momentum going and don't bail if the first couple times you try this relationship experiment fails. She's worth it, your family is worth it, and though it may not always feel like it, you are worth it. As you are mapping out how to begin revitalizing your communication, take time to list all the great things that will happen if it works. Just as importantly, make a list of all the bad consequences if you don't take action. You want to internalize why this is important, and use both the carrot and the stick to get yourself motivated to start making changes.

GL GB - pulling for you to make a breakthrough.

Haven't watched yet but I will. I do a good bit of reading/watching relationship stuff.

My opinion after reading literally YEARS worth of this sort of thing is that, yes there are some important things, most of which have already been mentioned above (trust, communication, etc.) but there is one thing that is even more important that all of that. And it's quite simply stated, but hard to achieve for a multitude of reasons, which are different for different people. 

You have to choose each other. 

That's it. That's really all it takes. You have to choose each other not only initially based on that first attraction, which is the easy part; but you also have to choose each other when times get tough, when issues arise, when temptation comes about, when raging insecurities show up, and even when you 'just don't feel like it.' And those last few are the ones that are relationship-enders.  

If I had to choose a second most important factor, it would be that both people have to be WILLING and ABLE to work on making a great, lasting relationship. And part of that goes back to number 1, choosing each other. Time after time, day after day. 

Just my :2cents:   after years of still searching for my person. It gets exhausting sometimes. But still I fight for it. Loneliness sucks. 

Users who are viewing this thread