What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Television Draft: The Simpsons is judged the greatest show of all time (7 Viewers)

timschochet

Footballguy
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AMeV_zdmgqfBQOHT0jCWa0xo2GBI5y4QaQMkfyxC_3g/htmlview#

Round 1

1. Hov34

2. Gally/Charlie Steiner 

3. timschochet 

4. AcerFC 

5. higgins 

6. AAABatteries/BobbyLayne 

7. mphtrilogy 

8. tuffnutt

9. AndrewClark 

10. jwb 

11. Mrs. Rannous 

12. Zow 

13. Tolstoy 

14. Doug B 

15. Karma Police 

16. Yo Mama 

So with the movie draft winding down, I thought it was time to rev this puppy up. Here are the categories: 

1950-1970 comedy

1950-1970 drama 

1950-1970 leading man comedy 

1950-1970 leading man drama 

1950-1970 leading woman comedy 

1950-1970 leading woman drama 

1950-1970 supporting man 

1950- 1970 supporting woman 

1971- 1990 comedy 

1971-1990 drama 

1971-1990 leading man comedy 

1971-1990 leading man drama 

1971-1990 leading woman comedy  

1971-1990 leading woman drama  

1971-1990 supporting man  

1971-1990 supporting woman

1991-2020 comedy 

1991-2020 drama 

1991-2020 leading man comedy 

1991-2020 leading man drama 

1991-2020 leading woman comedy 

1991-2020 leading woman drama 

1991-2020 supporting man

1991-2020 supporting woman 

MISC CATEGORIES 

Theme Song 

Children’s show 

Animated Show 

Variety or Live Show 

Science Fiction 

TV Mom

TV Dad 

TV Detective 

Mini Series 

Finale 

Commercial 

Documentary 

Holiday Show 

Action 

Western 

Horror (Supernatural) 

Teen Show 

Reality Show 

Game Show 

Foreign Show 

News Personality 

Sports Personality 

Sports Play by Play 

Talk Show Host 

Hero 

Villain 

That’s 50 categories. Plus one more: best TV show ever, which will be chosen from one of your picks already made in one of the TV categories. And in terms of scoring it’s worth 3 times any other picks. 

We’ll take up 20 drafters (including me) and we need judges. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Way too many acting categories for my liking- I will probably pass.  

I liked the idea of stuff like best single season, best finale, etc. 

In.

You need to define "Teen Show".  Is it about teens or for teens?

Also, some shows had actors join partway in.  If it straddles the time break, does the actor belong in the year he joined the cast or when the show debuted?

In.

You need to define "Teen Show".  Is it about teens or for teens?

Also, some shows had actors join partway in.  If it straddles the time break, does the actor belong in the year he joined the cast or when the show debuted?
Teen show: either for teens or about teens. 

You get the character’s entire time on a show even if it straddles two eras. But try to take the one he was mostly in or you’ll probably be punished in the judging. 

Way too many acting categories for my liking- I will probably pass.  

I liked the idea of stuff like best single season, best finale, etc. 
It’s not so much acting categories- it’s character categories. Acting is important, but you’re not drafting Lucille Ball; you’re drafting Lucy Ricardo. (And a huge part of Lucy Ricardo’s ranking should be based on how well Lucille Ball portrayed her.) 

It’s not so much acting categories- it’s character categories. Acting is important, but you’re not drafting Lucille Ball; you’re drafting Lucy Ricardo. (And a huge part of Lucy Ricardo’s ranking should be based on how well Lucille Ball portrayed her.) 
Fair enough.  Still too many categories like that for my tastes - mostly because I am not a huge TV watcher.  

Question on eligibility as an "All Time TV" draft...……..Do premium/streaming service shows count?  HBO, Showtime, Amazon Prime, etc?  Maybe have a separate category for some of those type shows?

You get the character’s entire time on a show even if it straddles two eras. But try to take the one he was mostly in or you’ll probably be punished in the judging. 
That's not what I meant.  If the show straddles the time break, but the character joined after that break, which side does he fall on- the start of the show or the character run?

Question on eligibility as an "All Time TV" draft...……..Do premium/streaming service shows count?  HBO, Showtime, Amazon Prime, etc?  Maybe have a separate category for some of those type shows?
Also, are we limiting ourselves to American TV shows?

Yes of course they count. No need for a separate category. 

Would like IN if still room, but this may be over my pay grade. 

If a more established drafter wants in feel free to bump me. 

P.S. That is a #### ton of categories.

I am getting crushed in the Movie draft drafting my all-time faves, against my better judgment, let me give this one a shot with a different approach ;)

IN

I'd like to be in this one as well, just to see what judge is going to sink shows like Breaking Bad, M*A*S*H, and Seinfeld with middle-of-the-road rankings.

@timschochet , I'd like to propose something of a change to the decade-based scheme. Instead of hard cut-offs by calendar year, how about cut-offs based on broad sea changes in broadcast media? For example:

- Black-and-White Programming
- The Big Three Era (when ABC/CBS/NBC ruled and nascent cable television fought for scraps)
- Cable Programming Enters the Chat
- Gently Down the Stream (the advent of streaming media)

I'd like to be in this one as well, just to see what judge is going to sink shows like Breaking Bad, M*A*S*H, and Seinfeld with middle-of-the-road rankings.

@timschochet , I'd like to propose something of a change to the decade-based scheme. Instead of hard cut-offs by calendar year, how about cut-offs based on broad sea changes in broadcast media? For example:

- Black-and-White Programming
- The Big Three Era (when ABC/CBS/NBC ruled and nascent cable television fought for scraps)
- Cable Programming Enters the Chat
- Gently Down the Stream (the advent of streaming media)
Your proposal makes more sense, but the decades are easier to manage. 

Your proposal makes more sense, but the decades are easier to manage. 
My proposed categorizations would break down very roughly (and with some stretching) as:

1950-1969 (B&W Era plus a few years [some B&W bridged to color, anyhow])
1970-1989 ("The Rural Purge" on through the Big Three Era)
1990-2009 (Cable find its legs, plus a fourth broadcast network takes off [in 1987, but close enough])
2010-present (Streaming services arrive and change the landscape once more)

What's eight more categories? :D   (Don't think 2010 - present needs a theme song category, and it's even iffy for 1990-2009)

EDIT: Oops -- what's TEN more categories. Comedy, Drama, and eight acting categories.

Doug B said:
My proposed categorizations would break down very roughly (and with some stretching) as:

1950-1969 (B&W Era plus a few years [some B&W bridged to color, anyhow])
1970-1989 ("The Rural Purge" on through the Big Three Era)
1990-2009 (Cable find its legs, plus a fourth broadcast network takes off [in 1987, but close enough])
2010-present (Streaming services arrive and change the landscape once more)

What's eight more categories? :D   (Don't think 2010 - present needs a theme song category, and it's even iffy for 1990-2009)

EDIT: Oops -- what's TEN more categories. Comedy, Drama, and eight acting categories.
I really struggled with how to divide the time periods. But 4 is too many. 

Before the categories get locked...

What about mini-series? (roots, people vs oj Simpson, etc.., Chernobyl etc..)

greatest tv finale of all time? 

best guest star/arc of all time?

what about the greatest television star of all time - all eras? A Battle royale...(Can choose someone from your category like the Best Show of all time)

biggest moment in tv history? (Moon landing, who shot jr, Super Bowl half time wardrobe malfunction etc..)

best commercial of all time (apple 1984, Mikey like it etc.)

best tv producer (ie Bochco, **** Wolf, MTM productions, Shonda Rhimes, Ryan murphy, David chase)
Best documentary series (making a murdered, the stairway, etc.., 30 for 30)
beat holiday tv show of all time 

what about breaking the timeline from 50’s-80 and 81-20?  Just using two eras...
These 3 time slot categories seem to blend together a lot

And that would add more one-off categories which are a lot of fun to think about....

anyway just 2cents...

This seems a little overwhelming to me as there’s too many categories and overlapping categories.

I’d be willing to judge 2-3 categories (preferably some comedy categories).

I could probably judge a couple categories, as long as there is no expectation of watching every episode of every show in the category to do qualified judging.

Before the categories get locked...

What about mini-series? (roots, people vs oj Simpson, etc.., Chernobyl etc..)

greatest tv finale of all time? 

best guest star/arc of all time?

what about the greatest television star of all time - all eras? A Battle royale...(Can choose someone from your category like the Best Show of all time)

biggest moment in tv history? (Moon landing, who shot jr, Super Bowl half time wardrobe malfunction etc..)

best commercial of all time (apple 1984, Mikey like it etc.)

best tv producer (ie Bochco, **** Wolf, MTM productions, Shonda Rhimes, Ryan murphy, David chase)
Best documentary series (making a murdered, the stairway, etc.., 30 for 30)
beat holiday tv show of all time 

what about breaking the timeline from 50’s-80 and 81-20?  Just using two eras...
These 3 time slot categories seem to blend together a lot

And that would add more one-off categories which are a lot of fun to think about....

anyway just 2cents...
Several of these are great. Let me think...

I could probably judge a couple categories, as long as there is no expectation of watching every episode of every show in the category to do qualified judging.
Team GallStein would object to this after the thrashing we took in the Movie draft judging by Mr. Quixote...….hahahahahaha

Users who are viewing this thread