What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Television Draft: The Simpsons is judged the greatest show of all time (4 Viewers)

But it's not a good draft choice here.* It's not a clear cut number one and I agree with The Wire being drafted ahead of it. 

*Amazing, amazing show. 
Is there really such a thing as a clear cut #1 with the judging we have witnessed in these drafts?   Plus, like I've said - I am not well versed in TV shows, especially old stuff, and I didn't see the point of starting off a draft with something I have never watched or love just to score some points.   As the comments have shown from the first round, The Wire wasn't a clear cut #1 choice.   Your choice was about as close as it gets, IMO (if I've never seen the show, and I know the theme that says a lot), but I also wrote down 3-4 that I thought of right away.  :shrug:  

My comment about Band of Brothers maybe ending up as my PSH pick was in reference to me getting an idea in my head, loving it, and drafting it.  Then later as the draft goes on as others started being taken in the category I realized how deep it was and saw that I could have waited.  Last night I did think of several others that are more traditional that could compete with it (again, never seen them so I wouldn't draft them - at least not until I ran out of stuff that I've seen).  I also starting writing down ideas for another category and said "oh, ####" to myself because I if those starting going, Band of Brothers might not have been a good pick according to your criteria either.  

As I glance at the list of the 1st rounders drafted, IMO the closest to a sure fire #1 taken were:  Simpsons, Carson, Sesame Street, and I Love Lucy.  The others I think there are 2-3 other things that could be taken that I think depending on the judge could get #1.  

LoL pretty much.  Still 1-2 more top shows that I could see muddying the waters farther, and hell - GoT could end up in there too.  
Maybe if the category was sci-fi / fantasy but (admittedly I have only read the books and have not seen the show) would GoT be considered sci-fi?

It's still dark out, so I guess I'm allowed to post.

Round 2.6  -  the #### Van Dyke Show  -  Comedy 1950-70.

Carl Reiner's hair.

@jwb it's your turn.
One of the shows I watched over the quarantine. Fantastic show that is still funny today. I’m glad to see it get picked so high. It really did set the standard for so many sitcoms to follow that looked at domestic life, work life and a behind the scenes look at show biz. 

Maybe if the category was sci-fi / fantasy but (admittedly I have only read the books and have not seen the show) would GoT be considered sci-fi?
I would say no.  Like you said, if it was scifi/fantasy, then we are talking.   I consider it drama first, that's why I think it could muddy the waters further if it got moved in with the Sopranos/BB/Wire category.  

so many good picks to choose from, but like others have mentioned, not as much chalk as maybe we all think. 

2.05 - Walter Cronkite - News Personality

"The most trusted man in America" was the gold standard for TV news. Nobody ever did it better. And that's the way it is

@AndrewClark
Sniped... nice pick

so many good picks to choose from, but like others have mentioned, not as much chalk as maybe we all think. 

2.05 - Walter Cronkite - News Personality

"The most trusted man in America" was the gold standard for TV news. Nobody ever did it better. And that's the way it is

@AndrewClark
I really wanted him for my next pick. 

Not just the easy # 1 in the category but perhaps the most unifying figure in our modern history. 
Somebody started a thread in the political forum about how we solve our current divisiveness. I have no idea how to solve it, but I do think I know it’s main source, which is that we’re getting our news from different sources, and we don’t trust the validity of the other guy’s source of news. During the years of Walter Cronkite, we had plenty of major disagreements as a society, but we all got our news from the same sources and we all trusted those sources- mainly we trusted HIM. Even those people who disagreed with Cronkite about the Vietnam War trusted the accuracy of his reporting about it- that’s the huge difference. 
Nowadays a lot of us don’t trust anyone. 

I can see the "judging" and "judging talk" is going to ruin this thing for me. 

I'm taking what I:

1st:  Love and would re-watch

2nd: What I think is top tier in that category. 

I completely understand Sopranos and Breaking Bad were considered "better" (re: more popular) than The Wire, but I loved The Wire and consider it one of the best television shows of all time. 

I loved Breaking Bad, but thought it drug on at some points (fly) and I wanted to strangle Sklyer for most of the show.

I liked Sopranos, but don't "love" mafia stuff.

I'm taking what I:

1st:  Love and would re-watch

2nd: What I think is top tier in that category. 

I completely understand Sopranos and Breaking Bad were considered "better" (re: more popular) than The Wire, but I loved The Wire and consider it one of the best television shows of all time. 

I loved Breaking Bad, but thought it drug on at some points (fly) and I wanted to strangle Sklyer for most of the show.

I liked Sopranos, but don't "love" mafia stuff.
100%

The self-pimping gets tedious quick. I’m totally OK with the judge getting 1991-2020 Drama wrong.

But srsly KP’s comment “Band of Brothers maybe ending up as my PSH pick was in reference to me getting an idea in my head, loving it, and drafting it” is the type of logic that sucks the fun out of these drafts. Guilty of it myself often in past drafts.

You should absolutely be OK with any pick selected bc you love it.

100%

The self-pimping gets tedious quick. I’m totally OK with the judge getting 1991-2020 Drama wrong.

But srsly KP’s comment “Band of Brothers maybe ending up as my PSH pick was in reference to me getting an idea in my head, loving it, and drafting it” is the type of logic that sucks the fun out of these drafts. Guilty of it myself often in past drafts.

You should absolutely be OK with any pick selected bc you love it.
Oh, I still loved my PSH pick.  Just being honest that sometimes at the start of these I don't put a ton of thought into the categories, and then as the draft goes on I realize how deep of a category is was and there are other picks I also love.   

Oh, I still loved my PSH pick.  Just being honest that sometimes at the start of these I don't put a ton of thought into the categories, and then as the draft goes on I realize how deep of a category is was and there are other picks I also love.   
What was the category for the PSH pick (I only casually followed that draft)?

Dude had a bomb house (loft) within sight of the bus stop my daughter & I waited at everyday for 6 years after I picked her up from grade school. He passed when she was in first grade, I remember it was snowing that day (was probably the next day.) Loved that guy’s work.

For my first pick, I’m going for a personal favorite that quickly became a cultural phenomenon and still remains one today. Yo Mama selects:

1.16 - Star Trek (Original Series) - Science Fiction

By my count, there were 9 TV series spinoffs, 13 movies (and counting), iconic characters, countless memorable quoted lines, pajamas and lunch boxes, action figures, inter-racial love scenes, and a horde of fanatics calling themselves Trekkies. 

Live long and prosper!
Great pick, but I think that there is a better one out there.....

(OK, maybe because the other one is my favorite show of all time!)

It sucked a lot of fun out of the movie draft and it's starting earlier here.

Hopefully, some of the fun drafters & judges won't feel the need to quit like they did in the movie draft.

This happens to me too. I pick what I think is easy a top 3, then nine rounds later I'm like "oh yea, that was good pick".

I seriously felt that in the Movie draft with Samuel L Jackson. I was like "I blew that one", because so many excellent actors got picked afterwards. But I underestimated his menace.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just want to be clear - what is it about the "judging" talk that people are already getting grumpy with?    Evidently I am doing, so I just want to know so I am not sucking the fun from people's drafts.   That's not my intent.  

Unfortunately has been true in a lot of TimDrafts © but IME the “have fun, pick stuff you like” approach is the best way to not let it bother you. It’s an internet draft, there’s literally nothing less significant than “winning.”

I’m sure @Doug B isn’t bitter I curb stomped him the finals of NBA Pantheon Team (Greatest NBA Draft.) Similarly, I hold no grudge toward my ATF poster @Fennis for winning the rigg:e:d final of the Greatest American Draft.

Mother####ing screw job but that’s OK, I’m over it. 11 years ago? 13? Aw, it’s not important.

:lmao:

I really wanted him for my next pick. 

Not just the easy # 1 in the category but perhaps the most unifying figure in our modern history. 
Somebody started a thread in the political forum about how we solve our current divisiveness. I have no idea how to solve it, but I do think I know it’s main source, which is that we’re getting our news from different sources, and we don’t trust the validity of the other guy’s source of news. During the years of Walter Cronkite, we had plenty of major disagreements as a society, but we all got our news from the same sources and we all trusted those sources- mainly we trusted HIM. Even those people who disagreed with Cronkite about the Vietnam War trusted the accuracy of his reporting about it- that’s the huge difference. 
Nowadays a lot of us don’t trust anyone. 
We’re no longer educated by a news broadcast about events/issues, we’re lectured to about their opinions on the events/issues.

Is there really such a thing as a clear cut #1 with the judging we have witnessed in these drafts?   Plus, like I've said - I am not well versed in TV shows, especially old stuff, and I didn't see the point of starting off a draft with something I have never watched or love just to score some points.   As the comments have shown from the first round, The Wire wasn't a clear cut #1 choice.   Your choice was about as close as it gets, IMO (if I've never seen the show, and I know the theme that says a lot), but I also wrote down 3-4 that I thought of right away.  :shrug:  

My comment about Band of Brothers maybe ending up as my PSH pick was in reference to me getting an idea in my head, loving it, and drafting it.  Then later as the draft goes on as others started being taken in the category I realized how deep it was and saw that I could have waited.  Last night I did think of several others that are more traditional that could compete with it (again, never seen them so I wouldn't draft them - at least not until I ran out of stuff that I've seen).  I also starting writing down ideas for another category and said "oh, ####" to myself because I if those starting going, Band of Brothers might not have been a good pick according to your criteria either.  

As I glance at the list of the 1st rounders drafted, IMO the closest to a sure fire #1 taken were:  Simpsons, Carson, Sesame Street, and I Love Lucy.  The others I think there are 2-3 other things that could be taken that I think depending on the judge could get #1.  
This^^^

expect the unexpected with the Judging and you will not be disappointed!  Enjoy the Draft ride and just let it go!

Hopefully, some of the fun drafters & judges won't feel the need to quit like they did in the movie draft.
How can the fun be sucked out already?  I haven't even started real complaining yet.😝

Only one/drafter judge quit after he judged his category and he was waaaaayyyy oversensitive about it. I think most people were civil and didn’t give any judges a true hard time - despite some wacky results.

Only one/drafter judge quit after he judged his category and he was waaaaayyyy oversensitive about it. I think most people were civil and didn’t give any judges a true hard time - despite some wacky results.
There were at least two who dropped out.

And I notice the judging still isn't done there. 

there were a few people that had a “friend” continue for them after they got time outs - maybe that’s what’s confusing you. Or maybe I’m forgetting some one else who quit?

rockaction is another

Anyway, sorry to derail. Carry on and have fun!
He didn’t quit - although he did get pissy.

He wasn’t in the draft and only judged one category. He and one drafter went at it, but they “kissed and made up”.

I didn't think i  gave him a hard time at all.  He said someone would have been ranked higher if it was up to him and I said he was the judge so he can put them wherever he thought they belonged.
You really didn't. I gave him a harder time, for sure. It was my one whine in the movie draft. I was surprised he quit though, and felt bad about it because he was clearly enjoying the draft a lot. But it was his first one, and he wasn't ready for what always happens in judging.

I think we're doing fine here - the usual pimping of early picks as slam dunk #1's, and the usual "not so fast" from the gallery. 

Except Cronkite. He's #1. 

Back in the day it wasn't really considered a legit music/TimDraft until Wikkid quit

I think the solution @wikkidpissah came up with eventually was to be a perennial commentator / fruit tosser. One of the drafts he ranked the best pick of every round, which was actually pretty fun to follow (he started very late in the draft so it didn't affecting picks or judging IIRC) 

2.06 - 1971-1990 leading man comedy - Carroll O'Connor as Archie Bunker in All In The Family  
loved Carrol O'Connor!

this stuff reads so awkward now but in context, showing us the absurdity of a bigot's logic started conversations we weren't having in 1971

Gloria: I'm sorry, Mr. Davis, sometimes my father says the wrong things.

Sammy Davis Jr.: Yeah, I've noticed that.

Lionel Jefferson: But he's not a bad guy, Mr. Davis. I mean, like, he'd never burn a cross on your lawn.

Sammy Davis Jr.: No, but if he saw one burning, he's liable to toast a marshmallow on it.

Archie Bunker: Now, no prejudice intended, but I always check with the Bible on these here things. I think that, I mean if God had meant for us to be together he'd a put us together. But look what he done. He put you over in Africa, and put the rest of us in all the white countries.

Sammy Davis Jr.: Well, he must've told 'em where we were because somebody came and got us.

Users who are viewing this thread