What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Television Draft: The Simpsons is judged the greatest show of all time (3 Viewers)

Back in the day it wasn't really considered a legit music/TimDraft until Wikkid quit

I think the solution @wikkidpissah came up with eventually was to be a perennial commentator / fruit tosser. One of the drafts he ranked the best pick of every round, which was actually pretty fun to follow (he started very late in the draft so it didn't affecting picks or judging IIRC) 
tru dat

i was actually pretty active until the sports draft. i came out of that seriously re-evaluating what my online friends considered critical thinking and the movie draft concretized my eval (tho i did have the good manners to quit that draft before it began). so magpie i from now on. *splat*

ETA: i aint done those round evals in a while - might go back to that

Last edited by a moderator:
tru dat

i was actually pretty active until the sports draft. i came out of that seriously re-evaluating what my online friends considered critical thinking and the movie draft concretized my eval (tho i did have the good manners to quit that draft before it began). so magpie i from now on. *splat*
I've not said it enough, love ya perspective on just about any topic bruh

I will look later, but just curious if people know off the top of their heads how many of these old shows being drafted are streaming.   I watched a couple I Love Lucy episodes on Hulu.  Didn't look for many others though.  

2.06 - 1971-1990 leading man comedy - Carroll O'Connor as Archie Bunker in All In The Family  
####!!!
I don’t remember all the details of why we were having the discussion, but I have a vivid 5th grade memory that stuck with me forever. We were talking about shows/characters we liked or didn’t like. Somebody mentioned not liking All in the Family bc racism is wrong. There was a chorus of agreement. And I said “Yeah...of course it is. But that’s exactly why we need a show like that. Because we still need a lot of people to learn that.” Not everyone agreed with me, we stayed on that topic awhile. I remember Mr Kivelä not interjecting, just letting the dialogue flow, but I caught him breathing in with a wry smile, and he gave me a wink that I took to mean “it’s all good, right ain’t always popular.” Never forgot that moment. It was maybe the first time I felt powerful being alone in my opinion.

Also also it such a freaking hilarious show. Would be interested to know who was on that writing staff bc they killed every week.

2.07 Cheers- Comedy 1971-1990

this might be a reach of a pick in what might be the most loaded category but what the hell... I love Cheers.

in my opinion, it is the greatest ensemble of characters of any sitcom ever. Sam, Diane, coach, norm, woody, cliff, Frazier, and the rest of the gang just made for great tv week after week for 11 seasons. In fact it was nominated for Best Comedy every year it aired. it earned 28 Primetime Emmy Awards from a record of 117 nominations. In addition, Cheers earned 31 Golden Globenominations, with a total of six wins. 

this might be a reach of a pick in what might be the most loaded category but what the hell... I love Cheers.

in my opinion, it is the greatest ensemble of characters of any sitcom ever. Sam, Diane, coach, norm, woody, cliff, Frazier, and the rest of the gang just made for great tv week after week for 11 seasons. In fact it was nominated for Best Comedy every year it aired. it earned 28 Primetime Emmy Awards from a record of 117 nominations. In addition, Cheers earned 31 Golden Globenominations, with a total of six wins. 
This is another I had never seen an episode of until this week.   I watched this and I Love Lucy the other day when this draft started.  I was good after a couple episodes of Lucy.  I am almost done with S1 of Cheers. 

This is a close 2nd to me for all time favorite show barely beaten out by Seinfeld because of the cultural impact.

I wanted to pair up Seinfeld and Cheers....

I don’t remember all the details of why we were having the discussion, but I have a vivid 5th grade memory that stuck with me forever. We were talking about shows/characters we liked or didn’t like. Somebody mentioned not liking All in the Family bc racism is wrong. There was a chorus of agreement. And I said “Yeah...of course it is. But that’s exactly why we need a show like that. Because we still need a lot of people to learn that.” Not everyone agreed with me, we stayed on that topic awhile. I remember Mr Kivelä not interjecting, just letting the dialogue flow, but I caught him breathing in with a wry smile, and he gave me a wink that I took to mean “it’s all good, right ain’t always popular.” Never forgot that moment. It was maybe the first time I felt powerful being alone in my opinion.

Also also it such a freaking hilarious show. Would be interested to know who was on that writing staff bc they killed every week.
The whole point of the show was that Archie’s racism/misogyny made him look like an idiot.

The whole point of the show was that Archie’s racism/misogyny made him look like an idiot.
That was the plan. But something happened between Lear’s brilliant scripts and O’Conner’s tremendous acting: Archie rose from a stereotype to a real person that millions of viewers came to love and even sympathize with as he had trouble navigating through the changing society. Archie was transformed from racist to Everyman. 

I considered this with my first pick, will jump on it in round 2.  Ahead of its time and still amazing... could place it in SciFi, Horror but for now it goes Into Drama

2.10 - The Twilight Zone - 1950-1970 Drama 

if you haven’t seen it, it’s available for Streaming on Netflix, Everyone has there faves, check out: To serve Man, Eye of the Beholder, Nightmare at 20000 feet, time enough at Last, the monsters are due on maple street... I could go on and on.....

I considered this with my first pick, will jump on it in round 2.  Ahead of its time and still amazing... could place it in SciFi, Horror but for now it goes Into Drama

if you haven’t seen it, it’s available for Streaming on Netflix, Everyone has there faves, check out: To serve Man, Eye of the Beholder, Nightmare at 20000 feet, time enough at Last, the monsters are due on maple street... I could go on and on.....
Was my next pick.  And now I have no idea for this category...

:rant:

This was the other top sci-fi for me

I had it as Sci Fi, but it works there, too.

Greatest show ever! (for me, at least)

I had it as Sci Fi, but it works there, too.
stop trying to help him!

(honestly I presumed SF until I saw your post. I guess paranormal and there’s a couple amazing picks in that nonexistent subcategory. hmmm yeah tough call.)

apparently the two drama cats are like RBs

Now, this is a story all about how
My life got flipped-turned upside down
And I'd like to take a minute
Just sit right there
I'll tell you how I became the prince of a town called Bel Air

In west Philadelphia born and raised
On the playground was where I spent most of my days
Chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool
And all shootin some b-ball outside of the school
When a couple of guys who were up to no good
Started making trouble in my neighborhood
I got in one little fight and my mom got scared
She said 'You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel Air'

I begged and pleaded with her day after day
But she packed my suit case and sent me on my way
She gave me a kiss and then she gave me my ticket.
I put my Walkman on and said, 'I might as well kick it'.

First class, yo this is bad
Drinking orange juice out of a champagne glass.
Is this what the people of Bel-Air living like?
Hmm this might be alright.

But wait I hear they're prissy, bourgeois, all that
Is this the type of place that they just send this cool cat?
I don't think so
I'll see when I get there
I hope they're prepared for the prince of Bel-Air

Well, the plane landed and when I came out
There was a dude who looked like a cop standing there with my name out
I ain't trying to get arrested yet
I just got here
I sprang with the quickness like lightning, disappeared

I whistled for a cab and when it came near
The license plate said fresh and it had dice in the mirror
If anything I could say that this cab was rare
But I thought 'Nah, forget it' - 'Yo, homes to Bel Air'

I pulled up to the house about seven or eigth
And I yelled to the cabbie 'Yo homes smell ya later'
I looked at my kingdom
I was finally there
To sit on my throne as the Prince of Bel Air

2.13- Fresh Prince of Bel Air- Theme Song

@timschochet

loved Carrol O'Connor!

this stuff reads so awkward now but in context, showing us the absurdity of a bigot's logic started conversations we weren't having in 1971

Gloria: I'm sorry, Mr. Davis, sometimes my father says the wrong things.

Sammy Davis Jr.: Yeah, I've noticed that.

Lionel Jefferson: But he's not a bad guy, Mr. Davis. I mean, like, he'd never burn a cross on your lawn.

Sammy Davis Jr.: No, but if he saw one burning, he's liable to toast a marshmallow on it.

Archie Bunker: Now, no prejudice intended, but I always check with the Bible on these here things. I think that, I mean if God had meant for us to be together he'd a put us together. But look what he done. He put you over in Africa, and put the rest of us in all the white countries.

Sammy Davis Jr.: Well, he must've told 'em where we were because somebody came and got us.
:lmao:

Guy was a legend. 

Isn't there also some esoteric lore that he was quite the opposite of his character off the screen? To me that makes him even more legendary as Archie Bunker. 

@Zow Just wanted to say if I was judging, Colombo was absolutely a top tier pick for me.

I am too young to have seen it as a child, but as I grew older I got an unhealthy obsession with the show. Even though the format never changed, the show was a warm blanket for me through the years, watching every episode of repeat. There are also some reoccurring villains that I adored. I won't spotlight anyway in case someone wants to choose one later but that's my favorite pick of the round by far. 

I will look later, but just curious if people know off the top of their heads how many of these old shows being drafted are streaming.   I watched a couple I Love Lucy episodes on Hulu.  Didn't look for many others though.  
It seems most, if not all, of the Too Rude For Adults Van Dyke Show are available on YouTube.

Isn't there also some esoteric lore that {Carroll O'Connor) was quite the opposite of his character off the screen? To me that makes him even more legendary as Archie Bunker. 
It's not lore -- O'Connor held a master's degree in Speech and studied at University College in Dublin, Ireland, among other institutions. He was still living in Europe when he was cast as Archie Bunker.

Users who are viewing this thread