What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Television Draft: The Simpsons is judged the greatest show of all time (1 Viewer)

Haven't been in the thread for a while had some TV rankings fatigue... sometimes talking about these shows too much leaves a wrong long term impression on my view of a show and I would prefer to keep it in a nice little time capsule in my head when I revisit...

Great job on the Simpson's ranking ;)

I had some other contenders I could have slotted in there like Twilight Zone and All in the Family, but The Simpsons is a show that can be watched by everyone on multiple levels, was and still is a cultural phenomenon, added phrases to the English language like Doh! had a hit Feature Film and a Video game, etc... one of the most profitable shows of all time also has two of the iconic characters of the last 30 years in Homer and Bart...also created a new Animated TV genre that is now thriving.  

A bounce here or there from a judge and I missed the top slot by this much :)  well not so much.. great job by @Yo Mama

These drafts are nuts, thanks @timschochetfor putting this one together.

Right with you.  I've watched a couple of the Treehouse of Horrors episodes, and that's about it.  I can't stand Seinfeld, but it seems way better than The Simpsons.
Wait, you’re judging the Simpsons in comparison to Seinfeld but have only seen the gimmicky Halloween episodes??

timschochet said:
Greatest Show of All Time Rankings: 

48 Pts The Simpsons 

45 Pts Breaking Bad 

42 Pts The Sopranos 

39 Pts Game of Thrones 

36 Pts The Wire 

33 Pts Cheers 

30 Pts I Love Lucy 

27 Pts Saturday Night Live

24 Pts Seinfeld 

21 Pts The West Wing 

18 Pts Jeopardy 

15 Pts The Office 

12 Pts The Carol Burnett Show 

9 Pts Star Trek 

6 Pts The Honeymooners 

3 Pts Gunsmoke 
Looking at all these, they were all #1 in their category selected unless another listed here was above it in it's category.

There were 2 exceptions.

The West Wing was 5th in it's category, with The Wire, Sopranos, BB and Mad Men ahead.

Games of Thrones was 3rd in it's category with Dexter and The Walking Dead ahead.

I guess Dexter would have ranked top 3 in the greatest show of all time.

the biggest reason Simpson isnt #1 is that i dont think there would have gripes if it had been #16

Sopranos belong over BrBa because their creator made all these wondershows possible by recognizing that 50 years of television based on likeability was rubbish. life's defectives are an entire universe more interesting to follow, befriend, episodically. David and Seinfeld understood that - the reason the "greatest" finale of all time wasnt selected here is that their last crack @ Jerry, Elaine, Kramer, Costanza was a condemnation (comedy still hasnt got this right - 21C sitcoms give you weirdo but ask you to love instead of ridicule them) of what they were about, the theme of the show all along.
I would put Breaking Bad over Sopranos because it was very good to excellent for all of it's seasons.

I thought that The Sopranos final season was weak. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I would put Breaking Bad over Sopranos because it was very good to excellent for all of it's seasons. I thought the The Sopranos final season was weak. 
i would have put Mad Men & West Wing over both of them, but that's a matter of taste. hail should we all David Chase as the Philo T. Farnsworth of streaming - his show gave us the motive to binge as surely as Netflix did the medium - and his show deserves the top episodic notch as a result.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at all these, they were all #1 in their category selected unless another listed here was above it in it's category.

There were 2 exceptions.

The West Wing was 5th in it's category, with The Wire, Sopranos, BB and Mad Men ahead.

Games of Thrones was 3rd in it's category with Dexter and The Walking Dead ahead.

I guess Dexter would have ranked top 3 in the greatest show of all time.
Star Trek finished behind one of its spin-offs in Sci Fi. 

Simpsons is one of my all time favorites, but it really was only great for about 8-10 seasons, and fantastic for probably half that.  Probably would have been 5-10 in my rankings.

I would put Breaking Bad over Sopranos because it was very good to excellent for all of it's seasons.

I thought that The Sopranos final season was weak. 
Re-watching the Sopranos now -- almost done having watching Kennedy and Heidi last night.  It is a totally different experience watching this as a 42yr old dad than it was watching in my 20s.  It is even better than I remembered and Gandolfini is amazing with his range of emotions.  The final season is a bit weak though as compared to the others.  I do think I put Breaking Bad ahead of it though, but ever so slightly.  I have the Wire number one.  Thrones could have been ahead of them all without that abysmal final season.

Re-watching the Sopranos now -- almost done having watching Kennedy and Heidi last night.  It is a totally different experience watching this as a 42yr old dad than it was watching in my 20s.  It is even better than I remembered and Gandolfini is amazing with his range of emotions.  The final season is a bit weak though as compared to the others.  I do think I put Breaking Bad ahead of it though, but ever so slightly.  I have the Wire number one.  Thrones could have been ahead of them all without that abysmal final season.
Not finding much fault in this post here. 

It’s hard for me to buy the argument that a show that is still airing despite widespread consensus that it hasn’t been good in 20 years is the best television show of all time. 
Yes - I was a huge fan but I think the longevity has actually devalued the brand. If it stopped closer to it's peak it would have been better off as far as legacy (of course they've probably made more money that some countries since then, so there's that).

Ok, no clue if I got this right - if you feel I screwed up you are probably right and feel free to call me out.......

Results.......

Final Standings

1. Yo Mama - 545
  2. mphtrilogy - 509
  3. KarmaPolice - 490
  4. tuffnutt - 482
  5. timschochet - 469
  6. AcerFC - 453
  7. Tolstoy - 452
  8. Gally Steiner - 452
  9. TripleLayne - 447
  10. jwb - 443
  11. Hov34 - 423
  12. Doug B - 421
  13. rick6668 - 417
  14. Zow - 404
  15. Pitchfork - 402
  16. Mrs. Rannous - 399

You may all think this ended with a whimper but I still enjoyed the hell out of it.  Thanks to @timschochet for setting it up and for @AcerFCdoing most of the data entry.

The best part is I got a new job with the same company so I won't be out of job.  Sorry that I wasn't as engaged on this one but that was kind of more important.  At least to my wife.

Congrats to @Yo Mamawho apparently needs to not watch so much TV.

You may all think this ended with a whimper but I still enjoyed the hell out of it.  Thanks to @timschochet for setting it up and for @AcerFCdoing most of the data entry.

The best part is I got a new job with the same company so I won't be out of job.  Sorry that I wasn't as engaged on this one but that was kind of more important.  At least to my wife.

Congrats, great news!

Awesome!! 

:thumbup:

Congrats - and what else am I supposed to do right now?

Users who are viewing this thread