Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The Great 2020 All Time Television Draft: The Simpsons is judged the greatest show of all time


Recommended Posts

Breaking Bad is the most thrilling and exciting tv show I’ve seen. I am not sure how much that equates with the best ever- depends what the viewer is looking. For what it’s trying to do- keep the viewer on edge of the seat from start to finish- it’s a grand success. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

3.2: Mad Men-1991-2020 drama I missed it first time around and things that get what I perceive to be overhyped tend to repel me just as a reflex.  In this case, it was definitely to my chagrin, b

News personality scores Below are my scores for news personality. I posted in here a few times that I was open to input/scores before finalizing rankings. I received a PM from one person offering

Alright, because something dropped I don't get to hear about my planned pick being a terrible one, right @krista4?    1.15:  BREAKING BAD ( 1991 - 2020 DRAMA)    2.01:   BAND OF BROTHERS  (M

I would judge 71-90 comedy and theme. Those two I’m probably best suited for. Unlike with movies, tv shows are such a big commitment and there so many I haven watched. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I would judge 71-90 comedy and theme. Those two I’m probably best suited for. Unlike with movies, tv shows are such a big commitment and there so many I haven watched. 

I have the comedy one already.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

I have the comedy one already.

Cool then I guess just theme for me. If they need judges later, I can take a swing. 
I know about most of what will get drafted but each category is likely to have several shows I just haven’t seen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Breaking Bad is the most thrilling and exciting tv show I’ve seen. I am not sure how much that equates with the best ever- depends what the viewer is looking. For what it’s trying to do- keep the viewer on edge of the seat from start to finish- it’s a grand success. 

it’s really because of WW ;)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know what to make of this pick falling to the 2nd round; either we're getting forgetful in our old age or I'm too old and set in my ways...

2.15: M*A*S*H* 1971-1990 comedy

Even though it evolved more into a drama in its later years, the show began and is still labeled as a comedy. It's en vogue now to bag on the show for having a laugh track, but for me that's just an element of its era and doesn't hurt its re-watchability.  The writing was always tight and even the long-time peripheral characters weren't throwaways. It's tough to sustain a show about a war that only ran for a fraction of the show's duration, but they managed.

 

@Hov34 up for 2.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Charlie Steiner said:

I don't know what to make of this pick falling to the 2nd round; either we're getting forgetful in our old age or I'm too old and set in my ways...

2.15: M*A*S*H* 1971-1990 comedy

Even though it evolved more into a drama in its later years, the show began and is still labeled as a comedy. It's en vogue now to bag on the show for having a laugh track, but for me that's just an element of its era and doesn't hurt its re-watchability.  The writing was always tight and even the long-time peripheral characters weren't throwaways. It's tough to sustain a show about a war that only ran for a fraction of the show's duration, but they managed.

 

@Hov34 up for 2.

 

Great pick.  Was going to make this my 2nd pick.  Hold on.  Scrambling.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Breaking Bad is the most thrilling and exciting tv show I’ve seen. I am not sure how much that equates with the best ever- depends what the viewer is looking. For what it’s trying to do- keep the viewer on edge of the seat from start to finish- it’s a grand success. 

One of my favorite things was seeing a different take on Walt on the 2nd time around vs. the first time around.    I think Heisenberg wasn't something he gradually morphed into, that was something that was bubbling at the surface from the start.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2.01  David Letterman - Talk Show Host

Grew up more of a Dave guy than anyone else.  He second only to Carson, but I like Dave's humor better. 

 

3.01 Buffy The Vampire Slayer - Teen Show

Even though I didn't watch Buffy as a teen (I was in my late 20s/early 30s) I think it is one of the greatest "teen" shows ever.  Got my daughters to watch it in their teens a few years ago and they loved it.  One of my greatest accomplishments as a parent.

 

 

May change the Buffy pick to Sci/Fi if allowed later?

 

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KarmaPolice said:

One of my favorite things was seeing a different take on Walt on the 2nd time around vs. the first time around.    I think Heisenberg wasn't something he gradually morphed into, that was something that was bubbling at the surface from the start.  

Mrs. R - consider skipping this post due to spoilers.

To me that was always the case.  He was the prototypical mid-life crisis candidate but the diagnosis just made him break and break bad.  The speech he gave Skyler in the finale in he kitchen where he says he did it for himself and he enjoyed it because he was good at it - that just cemented it for me.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if I even batted .500 for the first two rounds.  Shows I hadn't seen a full episode of before the draft:  I Love Lucy, Sopranos, Dick Van Dyke, SNL, MASH, Carol Burnett, Honeymooners, Star Trek, Cheers.   I think I missed something else drafted too.  :bag: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hov34 said:

2.01  David Letterman - Talk Show Host

Grew up more of a Dave guy than anyone else.  He second only to Carson, but I like Dave's humor better. 

 

3.01 Buffy The Vampire Slayer - Teen Show

Even though I didn't watch Buffy as a teen (I was in my late 20s/early 30s) I think it is one of the greatest "teen" shows ever.  Got my daughters to watch it in their teens a few years ago and they loved it.  One of my greatest accomplishments as a parent.

 

 

May change the Buffy pick to Sci/Fi if allowed later?

 

Ouch.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KarmaPolice said:

Not sure if I even batted .500 for the first two rounds.  Shows I hadn't seen a full episode of before the draft:  I Love Lucy, Sopranos, Dick Van Dyke, SNL, MASH, Carol Burnett, Honeymooners, Star Trek, Cheers.   I think I missed something else drafted too.  :bag: 

 

Wait, you’ve NEVER watched SNL?  How’s that possible?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AAABatteries said:

Wait, you’ve NEVER watched SNL?  How’s that possible?

That is one I am not 100% sure on.  I was specific in saying "full episode".  I've seen skits here and there, and would turn it on for the music act if I liked it - but timed it just so I would catch that or tape it and FF to the music.   The one exception that I could think of is I MIGHT have seen a full one with Jim Carey back in the day because it was him + an act I liked.  Again, not sure if I still watched the whole thing, but for sure that would have been the only one that was possible that I did see the whole thing of.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Ouch.   

Quote

Not sure if I even batted .500 for the first two rounds.  Shows I hadn't seen a full episode of before the draft:  I Love Lucy, Sopranos, Dick Van Dyke, SNL, MASH, Carol Burnett, Honeymooners, Star Trek, Cheers.   I think I missed something else drafted too.   

I should worry about your "ouch" why?
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, KarmaPolice said:

Just saying those two were at the top of my list for next corner, and was hoping Buffy would last.  That one hurt the most, being my favorite show.  

Oh sorry, yeah.  I thought you liked Buffy, that's why I couldn't figure out the "ouch".  Add one of these next time: :rant:

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Hov34 said:

2.01  David Letterman - Talk Show Host

Grew up more of a Dave guy than anyone else.  He second only to Carson, but I like Dave's humor better. 

 

3.01 Buffy The Vampire Slayer - Teen Show

Even though I didn't watch Buffy as a teen (I was in my late 20s/early 30s) I think it is one of the greatest "teen" shows ever.  Got my daughters to watch it in their teens a few years ago and they loved it.  One of my greatest accomplishments as a parent.

 

 

May change the Buffy pick to Sci/Fi if allowed later?

 

Great turn... even though I took Carson. If I’m being honest letterman was my guy. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

3.2: Mad Men-1991-2020 drama

I missed it first time around and things that get what I perceive to be overhyped tend to repel me just as a reflex.  In this case, it was definitely to my chagrin, but I'm on my 2nd re-watch now thanks to Amazon Prime, and like all great shows, the more the little things I missed the first time around reveal themselves, the more amazing I think this show is, just like it seems to have done for most people who've watched it as well. 

@timschochet is on the clock that's currently off.

Edited by Charlie Steiner
  • Like 10
  • Love 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

So it's not just a clever name?

It’s not particularly clever and actually has nothing to do with the 80s really. It’s actually a troll job on one of my friends that happened to be the username I had when my parents decided to pay for AOL. I had dozens of names before that using those free 100 hour of AOL discs that always came in the mail. When the hours ran out, I created a new account. This named just happened to be the name that stuck. It was originally trolling a friend of mine who was IlovL80s and tried to use AOL to pick up women (keep in mind we were in 7th grade). 

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Laughing 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Charlie Steiner said:

3.2: Mad Men-1991-2020 drama

I missed it first time around and things that get what I perceive to be overhyped tend to repel me just as a reflex.  In this case, it was definitely to my chagrin, but I'm on my 2nd re-watch now thanks to Amazon Prime, and like all great shows, the more the little things I missed the first time around reveal themselves, the more amazing I think this show is, just like it seems to have done for most people who've watched it as well. 

@timschochet is on the clock that's currently off.

Nice.  That was the other one that I thought about at the turn for my pick in that category.  For some reason I didn't expect either to be around then, let alone one lasting to the 3rd.  

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, AcerFC said:

If anyone not drafting is around and wants to help me with a question, let me know. Thanks

Not drafting soon? Or not in the draft at all?

I can take a question if you meant the former. I’m 13 picks away.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Not drafting soon? Or not in the draft at all?

I can take a question if you meant the former. I’m 13 picks away.

Ill PM you. Dont care if you pick what we talk about if I dont take it after tim picks

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Charlie Steiner said:

3.2: Mad Men-1991-2020 drama

I missed it first time around and things that get what I perceive to be overhyped tend to repel me just as a reflex.  In this case, it was definitely to my chagrin, but I'm on my 2nd re-watch now thanks to Amazon Prime, and like all great shows, the more the little things I missed the first time around reveal themselves, the more amazing I think this show is, just like it seems to have done for most people who've watched it as well. 

@timschochet is on the clock that's currently off.

This was the show I was debating with my 2.01 pick when I mentioned I was going VBD by grabbing Lucy (thatswhatshesaid). This is a top 5-10 show that could finish 4th or 5th in its category. 
 

Unfortunately, I didn’t realize there was a goat category when I picked, so I may have taken Mad Men if I knew. Oh well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Yo Mama said:

This was the show I was debating with my 2.01 pick when I mentioned I was going VBD by grabbing Lucy (thatswhatshesaid). This is a top 5-10 show that could finish 4th or 5th in its category. 
 

Unfortunately, I didn’t realize there was a goat category when I picked, so I may have taken Mad Men if I knew. Oh well. 

That twist to this draft is why I was eyeing Breaking Bad and Mad Men over Buffy and a couple other ideas.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Yo Mama said:

This was the show I was debating with my 2.01 pick when I mentioned I was going VBD by grabbing Lucy (thatswhatshesaid). This is a top 5-10 show that could finish 4th or 5th in its category. 
 

Unfortunately, I didn’t realize there was a goat category when I picked, so I may have taken Mad Men if I knew. Oh well. 

I was unsure about taking the 4th pick of the category this early, but it's that good and even if the picks are rated out in the order picked, we still get decent points, which after the movie draft, would be a nice change of pace for us. That draft also taught me a lesson about drafting when a GOAT will be selected as well.  I think that hurt us in the movie draft, when I took Spielberg in the first round and pretty much put us on the back foot when picking films the rest of the way.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

3.3 Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer (holiday special) 

I had to have this. I’ve got ranked #1 in its category but even if someone prefers something else, Rudolph had to be mine: 

This show is so wonderfully weird. What the hell are reindeer games? Why is an elf trying to be a dentist? What the heck is Burl Ives doing? But of course nothing tops the Island of Misfit Toys. 

Edited by timschochet
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, AcerFC said:

3.4- 24, Action Show

@higgins

I need to think on this category a little bit. I can think of a lot of seriously awesome fun shows ... the kind of shows that I ate up as a kid and teen. But I'm struggling with "quality television" Action programs. Probably thinking too hard.

EDIT: Also, a lot of shows in this category tend to be short-lived even if fans love them. Kind of an unfortunate lot.

Edited by Doug B
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, rick6668 said:

:blackdot:

Following this thread and every time I read new posts, I wish this was from a year ago and I could keep reading.

@timschochet, feel free to hit me up for a judge for Holiday Show and Game Show if needed.

Well maybe I will and maybe I won’t. It depends on what you think of “Holly Jolly Christmas”

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Probably the dumbest of questions, but what is the usual definition in this case of lead character vs. supporting character?    So many ensemble shows that blur the lines, IMO.  

They can blur at times but I think the Emmy Awards are good guide to this, show by show. If someone is nominated for lead vs supporting, then you know. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • timschochet changed the title to The Great 2020 All Time Television Draft: The Simpsons is judged the greatest show of all time

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...