Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The Great 2020 All Time Television Draft: The Simpsons is judged the greatest show of all time


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

3.2: Mad Men-1991-2020 drama I missed it first time around and things that get what I perceive to be overhyped tend to repel me just as a reflex.  In this case, it was definitely to my chagrin, b

News personality scores Below are my scores for news personality. I posted in here a few times that I was open to input/scores before finalizing rankings. I received a PM from one person offering

Alright, because something dropped I don't get to hear about my planned pick being a terrible one, right @krista4?    1.15:  BREAKING BAD ( 1991 - 2020 DRAMA)    2.01:   BAND OF BROTHERS  (M

This is the granddaddy of them all and still going strong (40 seasons!), I’ve been in since season 2 and  I’m now watching with my daughters after taking a break for a few years... still good fun...
 

Pick 3.07 - Survivor - Reality Show 

  • Like 6
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mphtrilogy said:

This is the granddaddy of them all and still going strong (40 seasons!), I’ve been in since season 2 and  I’m now watching with my daughters after taking a break for a few years... still good fun...
 

Pick 3.07 - Survivor - Reality Show 

Nice - I was looking at this for our next pick.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, mphtrilogy said:

This is the granddaddy of them all and still going strong (40 seasons!), I’ve been in since season 2 and  I’m now watching with my daughters after taking a break for a few years... still good fun...
 

Pick 3.07 - Survivor - Reality Show 

40 seasons? I watched the first episode in a bar and I’m not that old.
That was the only season I watched despite enjoying that season very much.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Charlie Steiner said:

3.2: Mad Men-1991-2020 drama

I missed it first time around and things that get what I perceive to be overhyped tend to repel me just as a reflex.  In this case, it was definitely to my chagrin, but I'm on my 2nd re-watch now thanks to Amazon Prime, and like all great shows, the more the little things I missed the first time around reveal themselves, the more amazing I think this show is, just like it seems to have done for most people who've watched it as well. 

@timschochet is on the clock that's currently off.

Great value. When I had some time to think and made a quick list of what my top 5 shows or so would be, this, SNL, The Office. the Twilight Zone and a currently undrafted show were the first to come to mind. For my personal tastes, Mad Men is the best TV drama of all time. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

Great value. When I had some time to think and made a quick list of what my top 5 shows or so would be, this, SNL, The Office. the Twilight Zone and a currently undrafted show were the first to come to mind. For my personal tastes, Mad Men is the best TV drama of all time. 

It didn't hurt that I was actually watching the show (season 2) when our pick came up.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Great value. When I had some time to think and made a quick list of what my top 5 shows or so would be, this, SNL, The Office. the Twilight Zone and a currently undrafted show were the first to come to mind. For my personal tastes, Mad Men is the best TV drama of all time. 

We talked about folks not being able to get in to The Wire and this is exactly how I am with Mad Men.  One day I hope to give it another try but it just never grabbed me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Charlie Steiner said:

It didn't hurt that I was actually watching the show (season 2) when our pick came up.

On Prime Day I got the full show on Blu Ray for $80. It's a pretty cool set with 2 rocks glasses and coasters. I plan on rewatching soon and will enjoy getting to watch without commercials. 

5 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

We talked about folks not being able to get in to The Wire and this is exactly how I am with Mad Men.  One day I hope to give it another try but it just never grabbed me.

Like The Wire, it plays out like a novel. Don is more of a central character than The Wire ever has but both are pretty sprawling and often quite subtle. The kinds of shows that their time to develop the characters so I do understand why a lot of people struggle to get hooked.. They are slow burns for sure and kind of the polar opposite of Breaking Bad or 24. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

On Prime Day I got the full show on Blu Ray for $80. It's a pretty cool set with 2 rocks glasses and coasters. I plan on rewatching soon and will enjoy getting to watch without commercials. 

Like The Wire, it plays out like a novel. Don is more of a central character than The Wire ever has but both are pretty sprawling and often quite subtle. The kinds of shows that their time to develop the characters so I do understand why a lot of people struggle to get hooked.. They are slow burns for sure and kind of the polar opposite of Breaking Bad or 24. 

During my first go-round with Mad Men, I got into the habit of pouring myself 2 fingers of scotch while watching.  Draper seems pretty fond of Canadian Club, but I've yet to try it myself.  Maybe by the 3rd re-watch...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

40 seasons? I watched the first episode in a bar and I’m not that old.
That was the only season I watched despite enjoying that season very much.

Yeah two a year, but each edition in the fall and the spring count as a season....  definitely helped forge a new genre of TV

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Charlie Steiner said:

During my first go-round with Mad Men, I got into the habit of pouring myself 2 fingers of scotch while watching.  Draper seems pretty fond of Canadian Club, but I've yet to try it myself.  Maybe by the 3rd re-watch...

Yeah the people in the show are terribly unhealthy and it wasn't a great influence on me either. I would often pour a little bourbon. I used to smoke in my 20s and I will say Mad Men made that seem appealing again though I resisted that urge. I guess it's better than having the characters in Breaking Bad or The Sopranos rub off on me. Are there any great shows about vegan yoga instructors who have healthy personal relationships?

  • Laughing 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

On Prime Day I got the full show on Blu Ray for $80. It's a pretty cool set with 2 rocks glasses and coasters. I plan on rewatching soon and will enjoy getting to watch without commercials. 

Like The Wire, it plays out like a novel. Don is more of a central character than The Wire ever has but both are pretty sprawling and often quite subtle. The kinds of shows that their time to develop the characters so I do understand why a lot of people struggle to get hooked.. They are slow burns for sure and kind of the polar opposite of Breaking Bad or 24. 

I rewatched Breaking Bad and Mad Men recently- Originally I would have said Breaking Bad was better but after the rewatch I enjoyed Mad Men more. It’s really amazing just from a historical perspective watching thinks unfold like the impact the Kennedy and MLK assassinations had on people in addiction to the great characters and performances.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AAABatteries said:

We talked about folks not being able to get in to The Wire and this is exactly how I am with Mad Men.  One day I hope to give it another try but it just never grabbed me.

What a  Pecan head.

  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

On Prime Day I got the full show on Blu Ray for $80. It's a pretty cool set with 2 rocks glasses and coasters. I plan on rewatching soon and will enjoy getting to watch without commercials. 

Like The Wire, it plays out like a novel. Don is more of a central character than The Wire ever has but both are pretty sprawling and often quite subtle. The kinds of shows that their time to develop the characters so I do understand why a lot of people struggle to get hooked.. They are slow burns for sure and kind of the polar opposite of Breaking Bad or 24. 

It will get more important, like the movie Network, even as it may fade in popularity because it tells us who we are. Thing is, America was just owners and workers, frozen in their factory/farm towns or stuck amid their immigrant lot in cities, until WW2. Hell, half the reason the World Wars were so well attended by Americans was the urge to either see what was beyond their li'l acre or swarthies' desire to be seen as regular Joes.

At any rate, they come home from winning the world and they want more for their trouble. Well, thruways and the GI Bill gave them the outward and upward mobility they sought, TV modeled goals & behavior and *boom*, suburban middle class. But there wasnt really any rules or code to show these podunks & guttersnipes how they should conduct themselves or order things into new sets of hierarchies. That gen gets credit for a lot of technological advancement but not so much for creating a sociological framework so compelling that subsequent generations took what these folks pulled str8out dey asses as the Natural Order of Man for generations to come.

My ol' man was a case in point  - impressive enough that he invented the grow light, but perhaps even more so that, when his R&D department did their job so well that their company closed it to devote the dough to manufacturing & marketing and he found himself with two tweens & a mortgage in the 'burbs, he noticed that the same company had no Product Safety Division and, without having taken a single business course (he was a farmer who took biology in school and ended up finding an electric way to grow plants indoors), he charted up an organizational proposal on our kitchen table using library books and changed the entire way the Sylvania Corporation did business just to keep us in braces & uniforms.

Well, folks like that are heroes, but there's no hero track to it for to tell that remarkable story. Mad Men most closely does, relating how guys made entire industries and their tactics out of little more than native intelligence and freedom from precedence. Hell, that's entirely where television itself comes from - buncha guys & gals turning rooms into stages and figuring out the difference between one camera & three, where to cut & cut away, etc. It is the existential archetype of the time which made all of us - as well as showing how behavioral growth couldnt keep up w economic advancement - and will become much more compelling after we crash ourselves.

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

3.08- Friends- comedy 1990-2020

Friends, at its best, is as perfect and beloved a sitcom as you will find. Monica, Rachel, Phoebe, Ross, chandler and Joey  the ensemble was perfectly matched and was best comedy collective on TV during its time.

There was a time when you simply couldn't escape Friends. It was everywhere. From catchphrases... to haircuts. I remember in college people had watch parties. It was so culturally iconic to generation X. To this day is still rank at or near the top of all sitcom rankings.

Edited by tuffnutt
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mphtrilogy said:

This is the granddaddy of them all and still going strong (40 seasons!), I’ve been in since season 2 and  I’m now watching with my daughters after taking a break for a few years... still good fun...
 

Pick 3.07 - Survivor - Reality Show 

SOD so far.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, tuffnutt said:

3.08- Friends- comedy 1990-2020

Friends, at its best, is as perfect and beloved a sitcom as you will find. Monica, Rachel, Phoebe, Ross, chandler and Joey  the ensemble was perfectly matched and was best comedy collective on TV during its time.

There was a time when you simply couldn't escape Friends. It was everywhere. From catchphrases... to haircuts. I remember in college people had watch parties. It was so culturally iconic to generation X. To this day is still rank at or near the top of all sitcom rankings.

Could this pick have fallen any further?

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

It will get more important, like the movie Network, even as it may fade in popularity because it tells us who we are. Thing is, America was just owners and workers, frozen in their factory/farm towns or stuck amid their immigrant lot in cities, until WW2. Hell, half the reason the World Wars were so well attended by Americans was the urge to either see what was beyond their li'l acre or swarthies' desire to be seen as regular Joes.

At any rate, they come home from winning the world and they want more for their trouble. Well, thruways and the GI Bill gave them the outward and upward mobility they sought, TV modeled goals & behavior and *boom*, suburban middle class. But there wasnt really any rules or code to show these podunks & guttersnipes how they should conduct themselves or order things into new sets of hierarchies. That gen gets credit for a lot of technological advancement but not so much for creating a sociological framework so compelling that subsequent generations took what these folks pulled str8out dey asses as the Natural Order of Man for generations to come.

My ol' man was a case in point  -impressive enough that he invented the grow light, but perhaps even more so that, when his R&D department did their job so well that their company closed it to devote the dough to manufacturing & marketing and he found himself with two tweens & a mortgage in the 'burbs, he noticed that the same company had no Product Safety Division and, without having taken a single business course (he was a farmer who took biology in school and ended up finding an electric way to grow plants indoors), he charted up an organizational proposal on our kitchen table using library books and changed the entire way the Sylvania Corporation did business just to keep us in braces & uniforms.

Well, folks like that are heroes, but there's no hero track to it for to tell that remarkable story. Mad Men most closely does, relating how guys made entire industries and their tactics out of little more than native intelligence and freedom from precedence. It is the existential archetype of the time which made all of us - as well as showing how behavioral growth couldnt keep up w economic advancement - and will become much more compelling after we crash ourselves.

It definitely reminds me of my grandfather. WW 2 vet, moved to Dearborn to work as a white collar worker at Fords and worked his way up to a very comfortable middle class position. My grandmother was a school teacher and they were big drinkers and smokers. My dad said he did the 2 martini lunches at work and having parties at their house that were drowning in whiskey and the fog of smoke were a weekly occurrence.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

3.09 - Greatest Foreign TV Show - Downton Abbey  

Unfortunately not sure I can talk a lot abot makes this show one of the best ever without spotlighting other aspects and actors. But in a tough category, this one stands out to me. One of my favorites 

Edited by AndrewClark
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

3.10 - The Ed Sullivan Show - Live/Variety Show

Not much I can say about this. It's before most of our times, but this was the biggie. From Elvis' hips to the Beatles, for decades this was the one discussed the next day at water coolers all over the country.

@Mrs. Rannous

 

Edited by jwb
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KarmaPolice said:

Was it zow that requested a text when he was up?  Not sure if it was him, or who had his # if that was his request?

Yes. But bobbylane got suspended. 
 

Picking shortly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Yo Mama said:

That 91-20 Drama category is a murderers row

So deep and so good. 

Which, unfortunately, is why I stayed away. 

Edited by Zow
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, rickroll said:

Tolstoy got a little drunk last night and apparently made a bad post.  Please @ me when his turn is up.  thx.

The tradition of drafters getting axed continues. I think the sports draft has the record with the election around the corner, this draft could set the new standard. 

26 minutes ago, rickroll said:

Tolstoy selects 3.13 The West Wing, 91-20 Drama

Good show but seems like a total fantasy land now. Wife and I were rewatching it over this last year but I had to stop half way through because it just reminded me of how awful things have gotten since the show originally aired. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Gally said:
1 hour ago, Doug B said:

Wait, what? This I gotta read. Don't think I've ever seen him roll in the mud with anyone.

It was probably his comment saying Seinfeld is the Roy Emerson of this draft.  

Oh ... well, yeah. Sheesh, Layne, what were you thinking?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • timschochet changed the title to The Great 2020 All Time Television Draft: The Simpsons is judged the greatest show of all time

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...