What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Television Draft: The Simpsons is judged the greatest show of all time (2 Viewers)

"To forgive is an act of compassion, Buffy. It's not done because people deserve it. It’s done because they need it."

41.14: Rupert Giles, 1991-2020 Supporting Man

Rupert Edmund Giles was the Watcher and father figure of Slayer Buffy Summers, the former librarian of Sunnydale High School, and the occult expert of the 'Scooby Gang'. Born into a family who worked for the Watchers Council for at least three generations, Giles initially rebelled against his family legacy and became a rogue warlock, until the death of a close friend led him to return to the Council's fold. As the Watcher of Buffy Summers, Giles developed a father-like bond with his charge, not only training her but also fighting by her side and openly defying the Council in order to save Buffy's life, which ultimately led to his dismissal from the Council.

Last edited by a moderator:
41.13 Tolstoy selects Kids Incorporated, Children's Show.
Was talking to my wife about the monster squad around Halloween time. Said one of the guys was in kids incorporated. She said she has never seen. I was like, what?

she said her dad wouldn’t get Disney channel. Poor kid

K I D S, Kids incorporated. We’re gonna have fun

Not many of these left to take, but I’ll grab one of my favorites here.  Yo Mama selects:

41.16 – The Gong Show – Game Show

This was one of my favorite shows in large part because I wasn’t allowed to watch it (but I still figured out how to sneak regular viewings).  Raunchy, sarcastic, stupid, hilarious – this show was a huge contributor to my personal sense of humor.  This classic featured a variety of coked-out “celebrity” judges, acts and a host that constantly battled with the network censors, the Unknown Comic, Gene Gene the Dancing Machine, a CIA hitman for a host, a whopping winning prize of $516.32, and even had some “talent” that went on to do more beyond the gong show (Paul Reubens, Oingo Boingo, Boxcar Willie, Cheryl Lynn, Stanley Tookie Williams, Mare Winningham, and Brian Billick).

Plus, the Popsicle Twins put on a show that I still remember vividly today.

Lot’s of great finales, but I had a huge connection to this one.

42.01 – Friday Night Lights “Always” – Finale

I loved how this show ended.  Great closure to most of the story lines, with it’s normal excellent balance between sports and personal drama.  The connection I had to the episode was it very clearly depicted the feeling of an athlete playing their “last” game at a certain level.  It definitely brought me back to my own experience with my last high school game (even though I went on to play in college – look at me – that last high school game was a roller coaster of emotions).

TV Guide ranked this the best TV episode of the year, and this finale is widely recognized as one of the best and most rewarding finales of all time.

Can whoever own the google sheet please move my 12th round pick of Mission: Impossible to 50-70 Drama?

I took Homeland as my Action show last round. 

Thanks. 

Don’t think so. There have been several characters picked from two shows already: Phyllis, Maude, Frazier, etc. 
Ok.  I can see both sides in that they played different roles on two different shows as shown by you using him as Supporting actor and us trying to use him as Lead Drama.  

Not many of these left to take, but I’ll grab one of my favorites here.  Yo Mama selects:

This was one of my favorite shows in large part because I wasn’t allowed to watch it (but I still figured out how to sneak regular viewings).  Raunchy, sarcastic, stupid, hilarious – this show was a huge contributor to my personal sense of humor.  This classic featured a variety of coked-out “celebrity” judges, acts and a host that constantly battled with the network censors, the Unknown Comic, Gene Gene the Dancing Machine, a CIA hitman for a host, a whopping winning prize of $516.32, and even had some “talent” that went on to do more beyond the gong show (Paul Reubens, Oingo Boingo, Boxcar Willie, Cheryl Lynn, Stanley Tookie Williams, Mare Winningham, and Brian Billick).

SOD2

When I came down here I was hoping to be a dancer.

Really?
Yeah, then I met pot and donuts. Before I knew it I was scrubbing toilets and hosing teenage barf out of wicker baskets.

42.03: Berta (Two and a Half Men), 1991-2020 Supporting Woman

[Played by Conchata Ferrell, Berta was] the family's outspoken housekeeper and close family friend ... During the [later] years, her role was increased on the show, appearing in more episodes. Season 11 was the first season where she appeared in every episode. The role was originally only intended for a two-episode arc in the first season, in which she would leave as a result of [other characters] moving in.

When I came down here I was hoping to be a dancer.

Really?
Yeah, then I met pot and donuts. Before I knew it I was scrubbing toilets and hosing teenage barf out of wicker baskets.

42.03: Berta (Two and a Half Men), 1991-2020 Supporting Woman
by counting stats, the Queen of 21st C supporting characters, but the pound-for-pound best performer in the category (for all time, for my money) is still on the board

Round 41.11  -  Finale  -  St Elsewhere

Figured I'd better get this in while I could.
This one is polarizing, but through no fault of the writers. In universe, it's an interesting and thought-provoking wrap up.

On the Internet, 20 years later ... all the attempts to link this finale to half of scripted television got just a little contrived and ridiculous.

Was on my short list.  Nice pick

This one is polarizing, but through no fault of the writers. In universe, it's an interesting and thought-provoking wrap up.

On the Internet, 20 years later ... all the attempts to link this finale to half of scripted television got just a little contrived and ridiculous.
This is a thing?  Why?

RD. 42- Kato- Supporting Man 1951-1970

Bruce Lee landed the role of Kato purely because of his skills as a martial artist. As Kato, Lee continued to amaze both audiences and the people filming him by dispatching his enemies with lightning fast kicks. Thanks almost entirely to Lee’s martial arts prowess, Kato quickly became the star of the show and thousands of fans would tune in just to see how Kato was going to wreck someone’s #### that week.

Bruce Lee was the ######## Man

This is a thing?  Why?
"The Tommy Westphall Universe" is kind of an amazing piece of work. It got it's start, though, because two people with a bee in their bonnet thought the St. Elsewhere finale was a ridiculous cop-out.

Tried picking this in the movie draft, but couldn’t as it was made for TV let’s try here again 

The Up Series - Documentary 

The Up series is a series of documentary filmsproduced by Granada Television for ITV that follows the lives of fourteen British children since 1964, when they were seven years old. The documentary has had nine episodes—one episode every seven years—thus spanning 56 years. All were broadcast on ITV, apart from the sixth episode that was broadcast on BBC One. Individual films and the series as a whole have received numerous accolades;[clarification needed] the fourth episode, 28 Up, was chosen for Roger Ebert's list of the ten greatest films of all time.[2]

Tried picking this in the movie draft, but couldn’t as it was made for TV let’s try here again 

The Up Series - Documentary 

The Up series is a series of documentary filmsproduced by Granada Television for ITV that follows the lives of fourteen British children since 1964, when they were seven years old. The documentary has had nine episodes—one episode every seven years—thus spanning 56 years. All were broadcast on ITV, apart from the sixth episode that was broadcast on BBC One. Individual films and the series as a whole have received numerous accolades;[clarification needed] the fourth episode, 28 Up, was chosen for Roger Ebert's list of the ten greatest films of all time.[2]
SOD3

This is a thing?  Why?
"The Tommy Westphall Universe" is kind of an amazing piece of work. It got it's start, though, because two people with a bee in their bonnet thought the St. Elsewhere finale was a ridiculous cop-out.
I hadn't looked at the Tommy Westphall Universe map for a while -- I had forgotten that The Honeymooners (!), Gilligan's Island, StarTrek, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer are ALSO claimed to be merely Tommy Westphall dreams. Also Doctor Who and Knight Rider. And hundreds of others.  :loco:  

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread