Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The Great 2020 All Time Television Draft: The Simpsons is judged the greatest show of all time

29 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Its been awhile since I've seen them.  Can you remind me what the pov, narrative arc, perspective of the filmmaker, etc is for Planet Earth? 

Sure, Captain Passive-Agressive.  The series talks about conservation and climate change.  From Wikipedia's description of the ifrst episode:

The first episode illustrates a journey around the globe and reveals the effect of gradual climatic change and seasonal transitions en route. During Antarctica's winter, emperor penguins endure four months of darkness, with no food, in temperatures of −70 °C (−94 °F). Meanwhile, as spring arrives in the Arctic, polar bear cubs take their first steps into a world of rapidly thawing ice.

It is curated, rather than just filmed out the window.  Just because it doesn't hammer home a point, doesn't mean it doesn't have one.  To find out how well it does, youll just have to wait and see.

1 hour ago, Dr. Octopus said:

I think the Documentary category has gotten more scrutiny than all other categories combined. I just don't see why in a television draft, documentary series that were on television wouldn't be allowed. Just an outsider's observations - not a big deal of course.

Well, Ferris Buehler's Day Off was just on TV a couple weeks ago.  So could we pick that for teen show (although I know it will be behind Slumdog Millionaire in the standings)?

• Like 1

I've been saving two great picks for 1971-1990 Supporting Woman in my back pocket for a while now. I told myself that if one got taken, I'd try to take the other with my next pick. Hov34 took Florence Johnston at the turn, so accordingly ...

43.14: Willona Woods, 1971-1990 Supporting Woman

This is another supporting character on a long-running program that ended up transcending her narrative role. When Florida Evans was written out of the show in Season 5, Willona stepped in to fulfill somewhat of a female-lead role in the ensemble cast.

Edited by Doug B

Maybe I’ve done too many music drafts where we try to not draft the same artist in a draft, but so far I don’t have any cross over picks (multiple selections from the same show).  Fitting I should break that streak for a song.  Yo Mama selects:

43.16 – “Movin’ On Up” (The Jeffersons) – Theme Song

It’s instantly recognizable, it clearly lays out the premise of the show, it’s a song I can still sing most of the lyrics to today, it’s a banger (that’s what the kids these days say, right).  This was in the top three of my list for this category from the start of the draft.  Thrilled to get it this late.

This classic song was written and sung by the lovely actress from [redacted] Ja’Net DuBois and backed by a gospel choir.

Well we're movin on up,

To the east side.

To a deluxe apartment in the sky.

Movin on up

To the east side.

We finally got a piece of the pie.

Fish don't fry in the kitchen;

Beans don't burn on the grill.

Took a whole lotta tryin'

Just to get up that hill.

Now we're up in the big leagues

Gettin' our turn at bat.

As long as we live, it's you and me baby

There ain't nothin wrong with that.

Well we're movin on up,

To the east side.

Movin on up

To the east side.

🎶

• Like 6
  • Love 3

1 minute ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Yes - the narrative arc focuses on the Von Steuben Day Parade. The "Danke Shoen" scene depicts the subversive impact of the Nazi Party in the process of making of polish sausage.

i dont wanna see em make the sausage. i just want the fascism...

• Like 1

OK, going to take my stab at this category.  I have a backup in case this one doesn’t pass the “is it a TV doc” test.  Yo Mama selects:

44.01 – Leaving Neverland – Documentary

This was a tough one to watch for me, but it was a hugely important documentary.  It focuses on two men who share their stories of sexual abuse by Michael Jackson when they were boys.

Not only did it win an Emmy for best documentary in 2019, it was widely recognized by various other awards, critically acclaimed by numerous publications, and played a big part in re-evaluating the legacy of Michael Jackson.

This was the one I was asking about earlier.  Although it was previewed at Sundance, it was produced and released by HBO.  As mentioned before too, it won an Emmy which is a TV awards agency after all.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Yo Mama said:

Maybe I’ve done too many music drafts where we try to not draft the same artist in a draft, but so far I don’t have any cross over picks (multiple selections from the same show).  Fitting I should break that streak for a song.  Yo Mama selects:

43.16 – “Movin’ On Up” (The Jeffersons) – Theme Song

It’s instantly recognizable, it clearly lays out the premise of the show, it’s a song I can still sing most of the lyrics to today, it’s a banger (that’s what the kids these days say, right).  This was in the top three of my list for this category from the start of the draft.  Thrilled to get it this late.

This classic song was written and sung by the lovely actress from [redacted] Ja’Net DuBois and backed by a gospel choir.

Well we're movin on up,

To the east side.

Movin on up

To the east side.

Fish don't fry in the kitchen;

Beans don't burn on the grill.

Took a whole lotta tryin'

Just to get up that hill.

Now we're up in the big leagues

Gettin' our turn at bat.

As long as we live, it's you and me baby

There ain't nothin wrong with that.

Well we're movin on up,

To the east side.

Movin on up

To the east side.

🎶

was my next pick... I think this one is top 5 in category

Edited by tuffnutt
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Doug B said:
4 hours ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

Does Bob Uecker count as an athlete?

He had a respectable, if nondescript, MLB baseball career, but his television work afterwards has far transcended his playing days.

At one time he was probably better known for his "Passed Ball Camp" for little league catchers.  

Some Tonight Show appearances

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

Sure, Captain Passive-Agressive.  The series talks about conservation and climate change.  From Wikipedia's description of the ifrst episode:

It is curated, rather than just filmed out the window.  Just because it doesn't hammer home a point, doesn't mean it doesn't have one.  To find out how well it does, youll just have to wait and see.

:lol: at the bolded.  

Just asking, as I don't think I asked about specifics before.   Most of my griping about Wild Kingdom vs Planet Earth is that I haven't seen PE since it first came out, and I didn't really watch them in succession.  So for my hazy memory, it was basically just some cool #### to put on your big screen TV since it looked amazing and that each episode was just about a different area of Earth.  I remember 0 about the narration, etc..     So I guess my follow up question is your wiki link that you highlighted talked about the theme of global warming in the Antarctic episode.  Is that theme something that is touched on throughout all the different episodes or was that the theme of the Antarctic episode?   I quick scanned the descriptions on wiki of the next two episodes and didn't see a mention of that in there. 

13 minutes ago, Yo Mama said:

OK, going to take my stab at this category.  I have a backup in case this one doesn’t pass the “is it a TV doc” test.  Yo Mama selects:

This was a tough one to watch for me, but it was a hugely important documentary.  It focuses on two men who share their stories of sexual abuse by Michael Jackson when they were boys.

Not only did it win an Emmy for best documentary in 2019, it was widely recognized by various other awards, critically acclaimed by numerous publications, and played a big part in re-evaluating the legacy of Michael Jackson.

This was the one I was asking about earlier.  Although it was previewed at Sundance, it was produced and released by HBO.  As mentioned before too, it won an Emmy which is a TV awards agency after all.

Mrs. R has some really cheery doc material to get through for judging.  ;)   This was on my short list too.  

• Like 1

44.03: Finale of Lost ("The End"), Finale

The Lost Finale Was a Powerful, Misunderstood Ending to One of TV's Boldest Shows (Esquire, 5/23/2020)

For a decade, fans have been disappointed with the conclusion of the twisting ABC series. But it boils down to one question: Are you a person of science or a person of faith?

The Lost finale was the decade’s most underrated ending (The Verge, 12/17/2019)

Instead, it taught us an important lesson about life

Edited by Doug B
fixed formatting
  • Like 2

Really want to take an HBO doc here.  They have done awesome work all along in this genre.  Per the wiki article:

It has been described by Sheila Nevins, chief of HBO's documentary unit, as "one of the most important films HBO has ever made.

It also snagged 3 Emmys if I remember right.  

44.02:  WHEN THE LEVEES BROKE: A REQUIEM IN FOUR ACTS (documentary) 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Yo Mama said:

Although it premiered at Sundance, it ran in the "Special Events" category, which is filled with non-film stuff.  So it squeaks through.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KarmaPolice said:

So I guess my follow up question is your wiki link that you highlighted talked about the theme of global warming in the Antarctic episode.  Is that theme something that is touched on throughout all the different episodes or was that the theme of the Antarctic episode?   I quick scanned the descriptions on wiki of the next two episodes and didn't see a mention of that in there. 

It is touched on where appropriate.  It also helps that quite a bit of the activity had never been documented before.  New discoveries help a bit.

• timschochet changed the title to The Great 2020 All Time Television Draft: The Simpsons is judged the greatest show of all time